2013 Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisters (DTM)

• Thread starter MatskiMonk
  • 185 comments
Mercedes Line-up finalised with only Six cars!

Another Junior driver, Daniel Juncadella, is the 6th driver.

Yeah, not looking good for Mercedes this year. Their top drivers are Paffet, Vietoris and Wickens, not exactly a powerhouse compared to BMW's Spengler/Tomczyk/Farfus or Audi's Ekstrom/Mortara/Green/Rockenfeller. Their performance was fading at the end of last season too, sure Paffet qualified second, but the next highest Mercedes was Green down in 10th.

Yeah, not looking good for Mercedes this year. Their top drivers are Paffet, Vietoris and Wickens, not exactly a powerhouse compared to BMW's Spengler/Tomczyk/Farfus or Audi's Ekstrom/Mortara/Green/Rockenfeller. Their performance was fading at the end of last season too, sure Paffet qualified second, but the next highest Mercedes was Green down in 10th.

True, lets not forget though that until the first corner of the last race of the season it was going to be at least the drivers championship for Mercedes (and possibly the teams IIRC). I'm not going to write them off just yet, even though they do appear the weakest at this stage - BMW took all 3 titles with just 6 cars, and only two drivers with DTM experience, no reason why Mercedes can't challenge for the wins.

Audi's 2013 RS5 DTM

audi_motorsport-130305-1318.jpg

Anywhere we can watch this race in north America? Or stream it after the race when we wake up over here?

Sportschau.de would be the best bet, not sure if you'll be able to watch it live or not though, they had Qually live today. Failing that, google it, and put up with all the hassles associated with dodgy streaming sites!

Anyway, as for Qualifying, Timo Scheider is on Pole for Audi Sport Team Abt. The whole line-up is as follows:

1 Scheider T. Audi
2 Farfus A. BMW
3 Vietoris C. Mercedes
4 Wickens R. Mercedes
5 Ekström M. Audi
6 Paffett G. Mercedes
7 Spengler B. BMW
8 Wehrlein P. Mercedes
9 Hand J. BMW
10 Juncadella D. Mercedes
11 Tomczyk M. BMW
12 Green J. Audi
13 Tambay A. Audi
14 Rockenfeller M. Audi
15 Glock T. BMW
16 Albuquerque F. Audi
17 Priaulx A. BMW
18 Molina M. Audi
19 Mortara E. Audi
20 Merhi R. Mercedes
21 Wittmann M. BMW
22 Werner D. BMW

Disappointed that Andy Priaulx has kicked off the season with a poor grid slot, same with Timo Glock, but I'm genuinely interested to see what Farfus can do this year, he's had good pace on a number of occasions, and now he's more experience of the DTM, the M3 DTM, and the tracks, I can see him being a contender.

Rob Wickens was born about an hour away from where I live, pretty cool to see him doing well in DTM.

Wehrlein impressed in quali, but I'm really not surprised given his talent. I'm sort of glad he got that last minute seat in DTM, as he and Marciello were/are head and shoulders above the rest of the F3 Euroseries field. It'll be fun to see him trying to cut it against the pros of DTM, instead of dominating boys.
Disappointed that Andy Priaulx has kicked off the season with a poor grid slot, same with Timo Glock, but I'm genuinely interested to see what Farfus can do this year, he's had good pace on a number of occasions, and now he's more experience of the DTM, the M3 DTM, and the tracks, I can see him being a contender.
I agree. He had a slow start last year, but Ninho really picked it up towards the end of the season as he presumably got more comfortable with the car/sport. I certainly don't see why he couldn't be a championship contender. 👍

I think Glock probably needs a little time, give him a few races and he'll probably be fine as well.

Last edited:
Rob Wickens was born about an hour away from where I live, pretty cool to see him doing well in DTM.

Been following his progress since GP3, glad to see him up near the front this year.

If you have an apple product, the DTM app has live stream and live timing. Or you can look on YouTube a few hours after the race, someone already has a replay of the qualifying session up.

Go Wickens and Spengler!

Audi have messed up here, I presume they pitted Scheider on the second lap of the safety car so he is down to 18th now.

German coverage (audio/interview) is horrible...the commentators have no clue what they're supposed to talk about.

Interview->Audi on the side burning "Will he be able to race again?" WTF kind of stupid question is that...

Audi have messed up here, I presume they pitted Scheider on the second lap of the safety car so he is down to 18th now.

With the Option tyres and the DRS, I'm not sure how the race will play out, difficult to see who's actually got the basic raw speed at the moment.

Ugh... great battle between Tomcyzk, Paffet, and Spengler.. and the winner was Vietoris!

Good job by Werner to get back out in second...

C'mon Bruno!!! Do Gary!

Disappointed for Priaulx :( , Wittmann has done an alright job on his first outing though.

Not sure about DRS, seems to have spiced things up a bit, but along with the option tyre it's hard to figure out whose got the pace.

BOOM! BMW 1-2, sweet! Well done Ninho!

Good job by the two Mercedes rookies too.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be a Mercedes 1-2-3-4-5-6 in a couple of weeks at Brands Hatch, not that I have a favourite car :sly:

Hopefully it will be a Mercedes 1-2-3-4-5-6 in a couple of weeks at Brands Hatch, not that I have a favourite car :sly:

Well, you never know, it's happened before! You just need Audi (and BMW) to spit their dummies out of the pram again, and withdraw all their cars!

Good win for Farfus. 👍

Mercedes really seemed to screw over Wehrlein, not pitting under the safety car and doing 25 laps on the yellow tires, then 2 short stints on the normal tires. I have no idea how that makes sense, it seemed like he was left out like a guinea pig. I think he would have been on the podium with the Vietoris/Paffett strategy.

Good win for Farfus. 👍

Mercedes really seemed to screw over Wehrlein, not pitting under the safety car and doing 25 laps on the yellow tires, then 2 short stints on the normal tires. I have no idea how that makes sense, it seemed like he was left out like a guinea pig. I think he would have been on the podium with the Vietoris/Paffett strategy.

Yeah, the guinea pig argument makes sense to be honest, they got good data, and - out of context - it looked like he was punching well above his weight, which is probably good. Merc appear to be the weakest manufacturer, at least from a driver point of view, maybe the results don't reflect it, but the performances of their rookies make Mercedes look good today, IMHO at least... their form over the next few races will become clear,.. either they have a fantastic pick of the next crop, or they blagged it on strategy in the face of a couple of retirements and penalties from the opposition.

The other thing... how young do the young drivers look!!! :embarrassed:

BMW Motorsport got together 2012 DTM champ Bruno Spengler and 1989 DTM champ Roberto Ravagila with their pair of M3s for a little fun at Hockenheim.

Sweeeet..... I'm gonna be at Brands for the DTM this weekend. Been looking forward to this for 18 months... shame I'm uber-skint, and it's going to rain, and I'm going on my own... but either way, the loudest cheer you will hear at the circuit will be mine if BMW get another win. I'm praying Priaulx can find some form.

On the off chance any other GTP's are there, if you see a dude walking around with a Grey Gran Turismo 2 shoulder bag and a camera attached to his face, it's probably me so say Hi.. or don't.. whatever.. ;)

Chances are I won't see you, because I'll be looking through a viewfinder, but I'll be there on Sunday.

Well I've had a pretty good day at Brands hatch today. It's not been that busy today which has really helped, so I've already got about 400 pics! I have to say I'm impressed by DTM in the flesh.. Obviously I'm cheering for BMW, and I wanted to take the opportunity to go and loiter around their garages... This was worthwhile as I got to say hello to Jens Marquardt, shake his hand and congratulate him on last years success, which was really cool. I also have to say the Augusto Farfus might be the nicest bloke in the world, and Joey hand is also a really cool guy too, both took the time to say hello and at least comment on a few things... Timo Glock and Marco Wittman, much less so. Also got to congratulate Tomczyk on his Pole. Priaulx I've spoken to a couple of times before so I don't harass him!! Also got to shake Bruno spenglers hand and congratulate him on last year.

... I don't do the autograph thing, you can see how much the drivers just don't give a toss when somebody thrust a pen and a photo under their noses, I much prefer just shaking their hand and congratulating them on something!

Gary Paffett also seemed really good, took some time out to talk to some fans.

The cars look and sound pretty good, and the pit walk today was pretty empty which is also handy.

Colin turkington is also here with BMW legend taxis, wish I could afford that!

I was also hoping to get to ask jann mardenborough what he thought of the GT6 trailer... But he was busy with other fans!

It's an expensive ticket really for the weekend, given the support races.. But I would recommend people give it a go. There seemed to be more screens up around the circuit than at BTCC, and the live timing app is pretty useful also.

Anyway, I'm now camping so I'm going to get drunk.

BMW on pole!! Whoop.

Edit: BMW no longer on pole. According to Brands Hatch news Tomczyks car failed the weigh in. Rocky starts P1 for Audi.

Last edited:
Did you get to see Turks in the M3 GT2 Taxi and M1?

Last edited:
That was dumb, the leaders are at the fastest part of the track and come across a BMW X5 towing a DTM car from one side of the track to the other. Not even under the safety car 👎

Latest Posts

Back