2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
I like how we've gone from having no penalties for loose/missing lugnuts to overkill penalties for them. :lol:

I like how we've gone from having no penalties for loose/missing lugnuts to overkill penalties for them. :lol:

I was happy about the 4 lug nut rule they introduced last year and Tony Stewart preaching about safety is funny in itself but it's gone too far with the penalties.

Wow, a real participation trophy. This is seriously a actual thing. Just when I thought I could find more to facepalm at, along comes that. I really don't regret missing the race at all

The lower series can not start soon enough.

Last edited:
A loose lug nut and a 2nd final pit stop to tighten it did not prevent Brad from winning the race.

Why exactly is "Making the cars quieter" just to "Make it easier to talk" Even an idea?

Its like NASCAR is making up problems just to make ideas nobody asked for. Did the Fans ask for this?

NASCAR races were more noise bearable when they faced the exit of the exhausts to the driver side but after they faced them towards the audience in around early 2000's it is super loud and I don't recommend going to a race without ear protection. I've been to a lot of races. The JGR Toyotas are the quietest cars out there. The 3rd tier teams cars are much louder aka wasted energy. There isn't much they can do outside throwing mufflers on them or orienting the exhaust differently. They'll still be loud don't worry.

NASCAR races were more noise bearable when they faced the exit of the exhausts to the driver side but after they faced them towards the audience in around early 2000's it is super loud and I don't recommend going to a race without ear protection. I've been to a lot of races. The JGR Toyotas are the quietest cars out there. The 3rd tier teams cars are much louder aka wasted energy. There isn't much they can do outside throwing mufflers on them or orienting the exhaust differently. They'll still be loud don't worry.
The cars sounded better back then.

Why exactly is "Making the cars quieter" just to "Make it easier to talk" Even an idea?

Its like NASCAR is making up problems just to make ideas nobody asked for. Did the Fans ask for this?
Yes! This is part of NASCAR's plan to cater to millennials, their stunted attention spans, and their compulsive needed to sponge up social media.

Yes! This is part of NASCAR's plan to cater to millennials, their stunted attention spans, and their compulsive needed to sponge up social media.

I agree on the Millennial thing and understand why these changes are happening but if you want to talk to anyone at a NASCAR race like your spouse, you'll need an intercom headset because once the cars spread out it's constant noise and unless you are/were a U.S. Marine Corps Drill Instructor, you'll never have the voice projection necessary to effectively communicate during an event. I don't know if you've been to a NASCAR event recently but it's deafening without ear pro. Damn, I must be getting old!

I agree on the Millennial thing and understand why these changes are happening but if you want to talk to anyone at a NASCAR race like your spouse, you'll need an intercom headset because once the cars spread out it's constant noise and unless you are/were a U.S. Marine Corps Drill Instructor, you'll never have the voice projection necessary to effectively communicate during an event. I don't know if you've been to a NASCAR event recently but it's deafening without ear pro. Damn, I must be getting old!
Yes, my good friend and neighbor Stan attends many NASCAR races and the Indy 500 every year. He reports the same thing, and uses headset and radio scanning to keep tabs on the drivers and team communications.

Yes, my good friend and neighbor Stan attends many NASCAR races and the Indy 500 every year. He reports the same thing, and uses headset and radio scanning to keep tabs on the drivers and team communications.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I love the sound of the cars but 40 screaming by you will make you deaf for about 3 days. If they pointed the exhausts to the infield like they used to it might not be so bad.

I never bothered to talk to people I went with when I used to go to MIS because of it being pointless with the ear protection being needed. I still don't bother talking when I go to the NHRA event in Norwalk when they're racing, but I at least get a chance to talk to people when the track gets prepped there.

I never bothered to talk to people I went with when I used to go to MIS because of it being pointless with the ear protection being needed. I still don't bother talking when I go to the NHRA event in Norwalk when they're racing, but I at least get a chance to talk to people when the track gets prepped there.

I've taken my wife to a couple NASCAR events and she isn't really a NASCAR fan per se, so she is usually full of questions. It's not even feasible to communicate anything when they are not under caution. So you see those old timers who have it all figured out with the intercom headsets like they are riding their Goldwings around.

Oh I'm not worried about them no longer being loud, its just that you are literally the first person/fan I've heard mention that so it hasn't exactly been an issue that's been raised as far as I'm aware.

Also, I wasn't aware that the exhausts were pointed a different direction.

Oh I'm not worried about them no longer being loud, its just that you are literally the first person/fan I've heard mention that so it hasn't exactly been an issue that's been raised as far as I'm aware.

Also, I wasn't aware that the exhausts were pointed a different direction.

I wouldn't have brought it up if there was no discussion about making the cars quieter. It's just an observation from attending races. But like @Dotini said, your average younger person who is constantly on their prone whether it's talking or watching facebook cute cat videos and what have you, this would be geared toward them so they can space off and stare at their phones when they are not interested in the race after 5 minutes.

Yes, the exhausts used to exit to the driver's side until sometime around the early turn of the century. You'll notice the difference between the sound of today as compared to back then if you watch an old race. It wasn't near as loud to the crowd. I am unsure why they orientated the exhausts toward the passenger side but my thoughts are it has to do with the thrust from the exhaust, although minimal, making it just a teeny bit harder to spin out so you can run on the edge a little more.

Yes, the exhausts used to exit to the driver's side until sometime around the early turn of the century. You'll notice the difference between the sound of today as compared to back then if you watch an old race. It wasn't near as loud to the crowd. I am unsure why they orientated the exhausts toward the passenger side but my thoughts are it has to do with the thrust from the exhaust, although minimal, making it just a teeny bit harder to spin out so you can run on the edge a little more.
The change in in the exhaust exit I believe had something to do with the introduction of the CoT and heat coming from the exhaust, although that's just what Wikipedia is telling me.

The change in in the exhaust exit I believe had something to do with the introduction of the CoT and heat coming from the exhaust, although that's just what Wikipedia is telling me.

Yeah I'm sure they had a good reason and a rear exit wouldn't really work because it'd probably melt the Lexan windshield of the car behind lol

22 year old here, how on earth is this supposed to appeal to younger people other than those who think they are too good for ear protection? those who want to scroll will scroll anyway regardless of the noise, and those who like to listen to the noise and watch the race are getting less for what they paid for. That's not fair.

Also, does NASCAR, (or anyone who writes the above comments) actually think any of this crap will bring in a younger audience? Or is it just what they tell themselves to make things sound better?

22 year old here, how on earth is this supposed to appeal to younger people other than those who think they are too good for ear protection? those who want to scroll will scroll anyway regardless of the noise, and those who like to listen to the noise and watch the race are getting less for what they paid for. That's not fair.

Also, does NASCAR, (or anyone who writes the above comments) actually think any of this crap will bring in a younger audience? Or is it just what they tell themselves to make things sound better?

Basically, what I see is speculation from rumors that may or may not be true and you have to think of a reason for such changes without getting emotional about it on account of it's rumor status. I'm not going to blast NASCAR on a rumor which some are quick to do. But I will speculate about the reasons for such rumored changes understanding what the new sponsorship package is trying to accomplish which is broaden the audience. Do I think it will attract a younger audience? Not sure. I'm not a marketing expert. I understand many fans are angry with the changes. That's understandable but it was dying and they are at least attempting to broaden the audience. I'm ok with experimentation.

This millennial garbage is annoying the living hell outta me. I'm 21, race cars are supposed to be loud as hell (within an acceptable realm of course and with a sweet tone), they're supposed to be raw power, only refined in chassis and suspension so they can handle their horsepower. Who cares about social media when you're AT the race? Anybody whose got their nose buried in the phone with social when at a race of any kind needs to hand over their ticket. Generation Y (stop, for the love of God, saying, millennial, it's become like Larry Mac's "Ma trends!" internet cancer) is as wide ranging as every other bunch, just because we have dolts who are obsessed with selfies and Twitter and Facebook, doesn't mean everyone among the said generation is. There are others from other age ranges that do the same thing, but nope, it's put on Generation Y. These leagues and series who are "making changes to keep millennials attention", should be focusing on the other issues which are really driving people away.

NASCAR needs to stop going out of their way to attract fans from the non-motorsport realm. If a person is legitimately interested in racing, they'll pick it up and begin to follow, learn it, understand it, and love it. If they aren't interested, ignore them. It's rule number 1 of business; do not abandon loyal customers to go after a market that does not, and will not, exist. You don't see Indycar, WSCC, Formula doing stupid and disgusting shaming of motorsports to get peoples attention do you? No, well that should be a sign then. This series is a sham, segments, a bloody repair clock, championship format that is a complete and utter joke, and ownership who thinks their hot stuff. They have absolutely trashed the reputation of the stockcar discipline.

Thank God the other motorsport championships of the world are coming out of the winter hibernation and their seasons are about to begin.

NASCAR needs to forget about the millenials and go after whatever they're calling current pre-teens. If you can get families with young kids to the tracks the rest will take care of itself.

Its almost like they want the damn cars to sound like 🤬 F1 or Formula E cars or some ****. Imagine watching 42 cars pass by you at 'Dega at 200 mph and all you hear is the sound of a damn hybrid car or something so awful sounding that it feels like it was made by PD.

Its almost like they want the damn cars to sound like 🤬 F1 or Formula E cars or some ****. Imagine watching 42 cars pass by you at 'Dega at 200 mph and all you hear is the sound of a damn hybrid car or something so awful sounding that it feels like it was made by PD.
I'd personally love it if they sounded like the IndyCar engines.

Back