2022 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,424 comments
Glad it didn’t become a wreck fest at the end like that LCQ. Good show.

It was interesting.

I read that Nascar wants to make the Clash a rotating thing, so this race will likely be somewhere else next year.

I read that Nascar wants to make the Clash a rotating thing, so this race will likely be somewhere else next year.
I would love to see them do that with both the Clash and All Star race. There's plenty of big markets that NASCAR doesn't really reach and visiting soccer and baseball stadiums would work well if they wanted to stick to stadiums as they could change the layout to keep things fresh. They would be pretty limited with the Clash due to weather, but the All-Star race would be a great opportunity to run a race in a place like Toronto.

Some smaller road courses like Lime Rock and Portland would also be interesting since neither are really big enough for a full Cup field. They could even go really crazy and do an all-out endurance race complete with driver changes.

Soo... Guys, how was the race overall?? What did I miss??... I honestly wanted to see it, but my local Fox Sports didn't broadcast the race... Wanted to know why, and I found something heartbreaking for all Latin American NASCAR fans 😔 ... From one of NASCAR's commentators in LA... 😔

"Confirmed. We don't do NASCAR this year. They were two beautiful years when we went crazy every Sunday. Thanks, I love you. ❤️"

Yep, after years of uninterrupted TV broadcasting, NASCAR's Latin American fan base got DNF'ed even before season's start (SAME goes for IMSA and possibly F1 😔)... Asking why... More research led me to know the guilty ones are the Argentine POS government that, with everything set to green light, another broadcast season, rejected the whole Disney/Fox LA fusion (which involves ESPN LA) through a resolution launched in January and now, the only solution is to separate Fox Sports LA from Disney and send it to other owner.

Yes, unlike the Disney/Fox fusion in North America that, from what I remember, doesn't affect news and sports channels, here, the fusion made the all the Fox's LA operations part of Disney, leaving almost a fully sports broadcasting monopoly in LA since now both FS and ESPN LA were now Disney owned, the Argentine resolution (very relevant since both channels are based in Argentina) gives Disney for now 18 months to de-fusion FS and ESPN by giving up most of the sports broadcasting settled for both ESPN and FS (NFL, IMSA, NASCAR, Rugby, and many others) to other operator in Argentina (basically, something Mexico did with the fusion, hence why Fox Sports in Mexico is fully independent of Disney).

Honestly, this pisses me and all NASCAR LA fans off since now we have to rely on twitch streaming to see the races... and, from what I can see, Disney has to give up Fox Sports LA to Fox Sports Mexico in order to keep it on the air. Disney also has some fault in this since they, in recent times, were mixing both FS and ESPN so much that FS1 became ESPN 4, and all the channels' content were slowly the same except for some championships' exclusive contracts (MotoGP/ESPN, SBK/FS3 for example)... Hopefully they can solve this out quickly because this could lead as well to Fox Sports LA's closure after many years...

For all the hype about this race, there seems to be a lot of people dressed as empty seats.
I thought about going, but I was surprised that most seats were $150 for an exhibition race.

The racing on TV was great. This was a cool event, probably the first NASCAR race I watched started to finish in years. To me it kind of highlights what NASCAR should be doing. Less 1.5 mile tracks, and shorter races.

Came home after work. Watched it on my DVR. Second LCQ was good entertainment which is why NASCAR probably chose the LA market. Main event was soso. Happy with the #22 winning. Even as a Larson fan, the dirty move on Haley reminds me of something Deadbeat Dale Sr would have done.

Autoweek article says an est. 50,000 people showed up (for a venue that had much of its 77,500 capacity covered/closed off for teams) & a LA Times article referenced that NASCAR est. 70% of ticket-buyers had never seen a race before. I haven't watched in years, but looks like the event did exactly what it was supposed to do. The cars look really good these days & I might just have to tune in for the 500.

Last edited:
Autoweek article says an est. 50,000 people showed up (for a venue that had much of its 77,500 capacity covered/closed off for teams) & a LA Times article referenced that NASCAR est. 70% of ticket-buyers had never seen a race before. I haven't watched in years, but looks like the event did exactly what it was supposed to do. The cars look really good these days & I might just have to tune in for the 500.
The Bristol April race should be worth watching as it will be on dirt again this year, I think that they should have the xfinity cars on the dirt soon!

Did better than what the Clash at Daytona had been doing for the past few years in a row

3.57 million people watched the clash and they got a .7 in the 18-49 demo, second only to the Olympics.

Such a failure. :P
I'm convinced at this point we live in a time where all anyone knows how to do is complain, no matter how nonsensical or laughably unreasonable said complaining is.

I'm convinced at this point we live in a time where all anyone knows how to do is complain, no matter how nonsensical or laughably unreasonable said complaining is.
Pretty much, it makes you wonder if the people constantly complaining are capable of finding joy in anything. Obviously I can only speak for myself but if I don't like something in the slightest the last thing I want to do is talk about it. :lol:

Pretty much, it makes you wonder if the people constantly complaining are capable of finding joy in anything. Obviously I can only speak for myself but if I don't like something in the slightest the last thing I want to do is talk about it. :lol:
Same. Its why for instance I cannot grasp the concept of "Hate Watching" a channel's videos, which is now made even more pointless by the fact that channel owners no longer can see dislikes.

Last edited:
Same. Its why for instance I cannot grasp the concept of "Hate Watching" a channel's videos, which is now made even more pointless by the fact that channel owners no longer can see dislikes.
Channel owners can still see the dislikes, just nobody else can, fyi.

I learned that myself from watching moistcritikal talking about YT doubling down on removing the dislike counter b/c he said it does nothing to protect the content creator as they can still see the like/dislike statistics.

Last edited:
Channel owners can still see the dislikes, just nobody else can, fyi.

I learned that myself from watching moistcritikal talking about YT doubling down on removing the dislike counter b/c he said it does nothing to protect the content creator as they can still see the like/dislike statistics.
Ah, my mistake.

Trevor Bayne is back.

It will be interesting to see how he does, Roush wasn't exactly giving him the best equipment so if he really is talented this is certainly the best shot he has. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a Cup "bust" found a second career in a lower series.

Last edited:
Trevor Bayne is back.

It will be interesting to see how he does, Roush wasn't exactly giving him the best equipment so if he really is talented this is certainly the best shot he has. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a Cup "bust" found a second career in a lower series.

I always found his career trajectory interesting. I remember first seeing him in the K&N Pro Series in the DEI cars and then in MWR equipment from there and in Xfinity before that switch to Roush that got him in the Wood Brothers 21 and then eventually a full time in Cup. Outside the Daytona 500 win, I don't think he's realistically been in anything that's given him a fair shot in ANY series so this is gonna be the first time he's actually in a competitive ride.

I dont really think Bayne was a bust. He ran part time in the #21 for four seasons. Then went to Roush as they were falling apart. His last season in 2018, he split time with Matt Kenseth and they both had the same mediocre results. That being said, Kenseth is a Hall of Famer so its definitely the poor equipment.

So apparently the Xfinity Supra now has GR branding on it, at least on the rear:
FLHB6sLXoAQPMI_.png

The JGR announcement tweet also refers the car as "GR Supra":

Lotta talks about part shortages, I know it would be expensive but maybe NASCAR could have part-timed the new car this year and just race it at intermediates, road courses and short tracks and use the old car at the plate tracks.

Lotta talks about part shortages, I know it would be expensive but maybe NASCAR could have part-timed the new car this year and just race it at intermediates, road courses and short tracks and use the old car at the plate tracks.
The part time-team ready, willing and able to wreck their car at Daytona could have a great chance to scoop up the trophy this year.

Last edited:
In a case of what could have been, Sam Hornish supposedly had a deal with DEI for the 2004 season to race in the #1 car, which would have resulted in Pennzoil staying on as sponsor.

On the surface this doesn't seem like much since Hornish never had much success in NASCAR, but once you start factoring in Pennzoil staying with DEI it shakes things up a bit as them leaving was arguably the first domino in their downfall. Had Teresa not been so controlling the NASCAR landscape could look extremely different today.

Last edited:
In a case of what could have been, Sam Hornish supposedly had a deal with DEI for the 2004 season to race in the #1 car, which would have resulted in Pennzoil staying on as sponsor.

On the surface this doesn't seem like much since Hornish never had much success in NASCAR, but once you start factoring in Pennzoil staying with DEI it shakes things up a bit as them leaving was arguably the first domino in their downfall. Had Teresa not been so controlling the NASCAR landscape could look extremely different today.

I wonder how different Truex's career path would have been had that deal happened?

Back