2022 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,424 comments
The road to $300,000 starts tonight! Round 1 of the 2022 Coca-Cola eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series from Daytona is live in a half hour.

Last edited:
Last edited:

The top 10 spots were all Fords, Chevy was mostly 11-20 range, and Toyota doesn't even show up until 23rd place. Makes me wonder if there's some sandbagging going on, or if Ford engines just happen to agree better with the new cars on plate tracks.
The Ford teams seemed to spend most of both practice sessions in packs while the other teams seemed to mix it up more.

Practice 1 was a bit more even as the Toyota teams did most of their drafting during that session, although Ford was still a bit ahead.

https://www.jayski.com/nascar-cup-series/2022-nascar-cup-series-daytona-500-practice-1-results/

No matter how you look at it though, Villeneuve is in trouble. :lol:

The Ford teams seemed to spend most of both practice sessions in packs while the other teams seemed to mix it up more.

Practice 1 was a bit more even as the Toyota teams did most of their drafting during that session, although Ford was still a bit ahead.

https://www.jayski.com/nascar-cup-series/2022-nascar-cup-series-daytona-500-practice-1-results/

No matter how you look at it though, Villeneuve is in trouble. :lol:
Yeah, fair enough. I missed practice 1 and didn't expect too much to be different, clearly I wasn't quite right about that. It just struck me as interesting that there was such obvious stratification in practice 2's results.

The 27 of Jacques Villeneuve and the 62 of Noah Gragson have clinched spots in the Daytona 500.

Also worth noting is that Alex Bowman has set a new record for consecutive front row starts in the 500, as this is his fifth year up there.

Due to the way the duels are structured, only 4 possible scenarios of drivers can make the race. Either Greg Biffle or Timmy Hill will make the race AND either Kaz Grala or JJ Yeley will make the race.

I'm guessing everyone will be extra cautious tonight, but it should still give us a good idea of how well they draft in larger groups.

I'm also predicting Grala and Biffle get the final spots (but really NASCAR should just make an 11th hour decision and let all 42 cars race).

First Duel has been a parade thus far as expected, cars look good drafting though.

I guess The Money Team is legit.
I would say I didn’t see it coming, but that paint scheme is rather hard to miss (which I suppose is a good thing). :lol:

Last edited:
First Duel has been a parade thus far as expected, cars look good drafting though.

I would say I didn’t see it coming, but that paint scheme is rather hard to miss (which I suppose is a good thing). :lol:
The 55 is a teammate of the 66, a car I do not expect to be too competitive. Now Grala has lost the draft as well.

EDIT: 55 is NOT a teammate of the 66 and I don't know why I thought that.

Last edited:
Grala speeding penalty. That will likely doom him to DNQ.

And I was wrong. Grala does advance.

Last edited:
Grala got super lucky there, happy to see him get in the show. The rest of the race was a snoozer, not that I expected anything different.

Last edited:
Grala got super lucky there, happy to see him get in the show.
Not only that, but the booth was completely flustered on what was going on over the final 3 laps. It was obvious the Hemric draft was falling fast and the TV cameras picked up that Yeley was getting passed between 1 and 2.

I must admit fellas this is some pretty boring racing, a little surprised.
I'm not sure what you were expecting, starting position has never meant much for restrictor plate races and combined with a new car that has supply chain issues nobody is going to risk their car for a better starting position.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, starting position has never meant much for restrictor plate races and combined with a new car that has supply chain issues nobody is going to risk their car for a better starting position.
Guess it's not boring anymore lol

Logano blocked late and somehow crashed himself. Biffle advances to the 500. Timmy Hill goes home.

Back