2024 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 327 comments
Only Castrol Racing are tagged in the post so I'm assuming it'll just be for Randle's car. Maybe a JGTC Supra style livery? that's to me the most iconic Castrol car for the series.
Boom.

Castrol_Sandown_2024_1.jpg

Looks brilliant. What are the chances they keep this for the rest of the year, because I hope they do.

Last edited:
This will be the second throwback Super GT/JGTC livery to appear in Supercars, after the Nissan Calsonic livery a while back now. Kinda funny, considering Super GT has a very small following outside of Japan, but shows what Gran Turismo (which has brought us all here) has done for Japanese automotive culture. Cool livery, even more so when you look beyond the surface level.

GXTyk88bgAApkwC

Strong Gran Turismo 3 vibes with this image. Just need 'Just a Day" by Feeder playing.
Here ya go, you can listen while viewing the picture.

It's one of the only only GT intros I never turned off. It got me in the right mood for trying to get that full lap licence test with Toyota GT One that haunted me for weeks. What a relief it was to finally master that one!

...And no white wheels... again! :grumpy: (No surprise really :))

Really entertaining race so far, bit of carnage

Also, even though absolutely everyone was unhappy with the change with co drivers not being able to the start the race, I think its been really great today. The change has actually made it feel like a 2 driver race, rather than one where they're just trying to get the co driver over and done with.

Last edited:
Yeah, just a bit of carnage. Both Triple 8 cars are going strong but it still feels like anyone’s game.

Last edited:
Now that it’s all said and done - great racing all day. The series seems to have come back into form since Townsville, hopefully the new tyre compound next year spices it up even more.

As great as the racing was, I just feel like it could have been so much more if it weren’t for the new safety car rules. It felt like the SC just dragged on for too long to clear and applying the FCY just ruined any chance at a strategy gamble. As well as that, teams who fell down the order early on had little chance to climb back up into contention. Hopefully this is rectified for Bathurst.

Yeah, just a bit of carnage. Both Triple 8 cars are going strong but it still feels like anyone’s game.
Even though the rave ended with a Triple 8 1-2, the race still felt enjoyable even without the carnage. Although, it felt like (for me at least) the entry towards turn 6 seems a bit of a "curse" with the close calls and incidents that had happened towards the corners.

Yeah it was eventful for everyone but for T8. Shame the mistake for Holdsworth. Great to see Golding finally on the podium, and happy to see Scotty Pye win with Will as well. The big one next hopefully better than last year, couldn't get worse than that ********.

SCOTT PYE BREAKS A 6 AND A HALF YEAR LOSING STREAK TO WIN AGAIN RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME
IMG_3955.JPG

If I had two nickels for every time I saw Scott Pye win, I'd have two nickels, which isn't much, but it's fantastic that it's happened twice. Sorry for the blurry photo, it was getting rather dark. Anyway my full recap will be coming soon, but in the mean time, here are a few photos from the day.
IMG_3862.JPG
IMG_3877.JPG
IMG_3887.JPG
IMG_3888.JPG
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3909.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3921.JPG
IMG_3925.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3930.JPG
IMG_3931.JPG

Crap race! Starting from the stupidity of the main driver being forced to start to the inconsistent way the safety cars were used, and the lack of strategy it caused... and then there was the time certain finish . The theory behind the safety car is good, just not the way Supercars is doing it.

The way safety cars were handled all day was just plain dumb, but especially the last one.

I have a feeling it had something to do with the late call for Will Brown's very late pit stop. Kostecki's car was in pit lane and the problem with his car had already been diagnosed in the garage while they were the rest of the field was sent off to do an unnecessary lap under caution, and before Will Brown had even reached his pit bay the lights at the end of pit lane were red, only for them to be switched back to green just as he got to them. I would really like to know why they were switched back to green but it didn't even rate a mention on the coverage.

They'd better fix this situation before Bathurst or this will likely be the last straw for me. It's going the same way as the AFL, to many stupid rules, and over officiated now.

Crap race! Starting from the stupidity of the main driver being forced to start to the inconsistent way the safety cars were used, and the lack of strategy it caused... and then there was the time certain finish . The theory behind the safety car is good, just not the way Supercars is doing it.

The way safety cars were handled all day was just plain dumb, but especially the last one.

I have a feeling it had something to do with the late call for Will Brown's very late pit stop. Kostecki's car was in pit lane and the problem with his car had already been diagnosed in the garage while they were the rest of the field was sent off to do an unnecessary lap under caution, and before Will Brown had even reached his pit bay the lights at the end of pit lane were red, only for them to be switched back to green just as he got to them. I would really like to know why they were switched back to green but it didn't even rate a mention on the coverage.

They'd better fix this situation before Bathurst or this will likely be the last straw for me. It's going the same way as the AFL, to many stupid rules, and over officiated now.
I do agree with all of those things, it was a hot crap mess. The safety car rule caused more issues than drivers driving at full tilt under yellow ever did. The main driver is dumb. It ruins Sandown for sure more than it does Bathurst in my opinion. And yeah, way too many rules tom complex something very basic rules.

There is fevered speculation in the Supercars paddock that the Japanese giant could be on its way in to Supercars.

A significant announcement is coming this week with some sources adamant that Toyota will join Supercars, likely with its hero Supra model, in 2026.

The team being linked to the project is Walkinshaw Andretti United.

We've been talking about Toyota joining the series for what, at least 25yrs? I'll believe it when I see it.

Still tho.

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

If it happens, oh the aero parity will be fun to read about. Only thing about the Supra is its shelf life. I believe it’ll be replaced by the time of this speculation to enter Supercars.

If it happens, oh the aero parity will be fun to read about. Only thing about the Supra is its shelf life. I believe it’ll be replaced by the time of this speculation to enter Supercars.
And the Camaro could be gone about the same time too. Parity woes all over again with new models... of something... I guess :rolleyes:

Toyota having such a large presence in Australia was always a confusing question of why they didn't have any interest during the COTF days and we got Nissan "trying" instead.

Be interesting to see if they do join

Especially when NZ were running V8 Camrys. Can't for the life of me see how a deal was never done back then. However, Gazoo Racing were just about building up steam. Much different now with varying racing programs.

Anyway, I guess the yearly V8 hype news for me.

I just want the 500 to be retro round again. Like mandatory retro liveries for the weekend, they do it in NASCAR so why can't we do it.
Sponsorship deals probably. Supercars probably can't hard mandate sponsorships in already existing deals to be ok with it. Not sure what makes NASCAR different but we know Supercars is quite submissive.

I remember Red Bull initially being stingy on the first retro round concept with only Craig Lowndes car taking part of it and it was only through the Caltex livery with the Red Bull still sticking out like they usually are.

Honestly don't think its that big of a deal. Its a cool novelty but it doesnt fix or improve anything.

Last edited:
Back