ABS in Gran Turismo series R.I.P (1997-2008)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 155 comments
Does anybody know if you can get a little bit more speed out of the cars with the ABS turned off? Owners of the PAL version, please comment. I mean pretty much all street cars dont even give you the option to turn off the ABS unless you pull the fuse, so in terms of realism, I'd be leaving it on with the street cars anyway. The only other real incentive to turn it off then is if you actually get more straight line braking power, which is possible. But I'm eager to hear if this is the case. If it is, then I'll be cyber pulling the ABS fuse on every car I cyber flog.

ok, ok, I´m looking forward to it, believe me! unfortunately my sparetime soon will reduce to something near "zero" with the difference to zero not being that huge ;-)

Let's say that ABS set to "zero" now really means "zero". And difference between "0" and "1" is very HUGE. Also worth noticing is that all Time Trial races (where you can't mess with both QTS or tire-compounds) are obviously driven with ABS1, because there is no drastic lock-up.

And it is very drastic when set to "0" :D

oh yeah it's really really very drastic the amuse s2000 or the ford Gt concept man with abs on 1 is really a different car compared with abs on 0. It really difficult to drive with abs on 0, that will mean endless night learning to master driving without the abs on :D but it will definitely improve your driving skills :-)

YES. this is great for the racers/drifters/rally guys.it adds another level to the physics system and overall realism 👍

(ABS'less race cars. FINNALY)

still. in most cases (when the car has ABS in real life) this will only make it more masochist/hardcore and not realistic, considering that the car was designed to be driven with ABS.

people can take the ABS system off their cars in real life, most notably on cars from the late 80's and 90's. just think of it as a car modification

Are we talking tyre smoke streaming of the front tyres here guys? Can we get a quick pic up just to stamp the point into our subconscious LOL.........Please?

YES. this is great for the racers/drifters/rally guys.it adds another level to the physics system and overall realism 👍

people can take the ABS system off their cars in real life, most notably on cars from the late 80's and 90's. just think of it as a car modification

yeah but only as you mentioned in the old cars from the 80's and 90's all the new ones like the honda integra type r are meant to be driven with abs on, but without abs you can definitely improve your driving skills

you can still keep it on so it doesn't matter. 90's cars are ment to be driven with ABS too but most of the times, the system is just bad

people can remove the ABS system off of any car in real life so calling it unrealistic to do so in GT5 is incorrect, no matter how new the car is.

As a side note, I've been driving with no ABS on sims like GTL and GTR2 on the PC for aaaaages, so this will be a very welcome addition, cadence braking here we come!!
A little more tweaking by PD wrt the sound effects for skidding/scrubbing tyres and the transformation will be complete!

If your taking your car on the track then your going to turn the ABS off be it pulling the fuse or useing a manufacture fitted switch, GT5p is real world cars on a track, this makes it more realistic.

quote from racing school.com
Strictly speaking, antilock braking isn't a racing technique, since most race cars don't utilize antilock braking. There are two primary reasons for this: 1) It isn't entirely clear that antilock braking will reduce stopping distance for the skilled driver; and 2) Antilock brakes add system complexity, cost and weight to the race car, the disadvantages of which outweigh any possible advantages.
http://www.racingschools.com/rs/Antilock-Braking-p-34.html

welcomed news..

all the more reason to go out and buy the official wheel..with on the fly brake bias adjustment..bit of a coincidence...NOT

Yeah should be interesting to see if theres a time advantage on track between the pad and the wheel, never saw one on PGR3 and F2 although theexperience with FFB was much deeper than with the pad and you could drive smoother, you did however lose out in corecting bumps and mistakes in online races which equaled out the 2 control methods (yes bumps, raceing close means accidental nudges nothing to give advantage and nothing to take a player off I mean accidental ones) LOL

Wow they really steped it up. Now all we need is Better motor physics. If the quick looks like that imagine what the advance tuning is gonna look like.

now turning ABS on & off mid race is a little unrealistic

So is sitting in your living room in front of a TV pretending to drive a car.:sly:

It's a cool feature, like being able to drive from the bumper or roof cam (try that in the real world!). You most certainly do not have to use it.

So can we see a video of someone locking up soon? Also is it all 4 tires or just the front?

Depends on your brake bias I suppose but normaly it's just your front tyres which lock up, And I'll be happy with just a pick of some smokey fronts locked up......come on now that would be a major exclusive picture!

So is sitting in your living room in front of a TV pretending to drive a car.:sly:

It's a cool feature, like being able to drive from the bumper or roof cam (try that in the real world!). You most certainly do not have to use it.

ok? all im saying is that its unnecessary. its one of those things you decide on before the race, not during.

ok? all im saying is that is unnecessary. its one of those things you decide on before the race, not during.

If you look at the wheel on an F1 car and many of the super cars and especialy the high end track cars you can alter things like traction control, engine rev limit, fuel maping and suspension stiffness and also brake bias whilst in the race. Ok so your stanard ford focus isn't going to have all that but if you wanted you could stick it on. even the audi TT and some of the vauxhals have adjustable settings for suspension stiffness.
attachment.php

Did they read my thread about it? :P

This is great news. And the news about the online expanding is awesome too. GT5 is looking so close to perfect. I really havent been this excited by GT since GT1.

a short abs action move is coming up, please be patient :-)

I knew he had gone somewhere.............want to see a standing burnout with the fronts locked up matey then the comedy straightline cornering attempt with the fronts locked up LOL:nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:

(ABS'less race cars. FINNALY)

My mom had a 2001 corolla, everything in the car was standard, and :scared:no ABS! It was fun driving it at rainy wheaten ;)

It is, makes sports car even more enjoyable. Every play GTR2, rFactor, etc... then you know how much fun challenge and rewarding this really is.

Yay for four-wheel lockups~!! Now races with vintage racing cars (Shelby/AC Cobra, I'm looking at you, buddy) will approach a nearly realistic level of terror.

Anyways: brake bias control during a race is a little silly. TCS/ASM at least should be able to be turned on/off during the race -- every car I've ever had with a TCS or ASM has had a little button for it.

Seems to me every car should come with the features it may have had from the factory -- you shouldn't even have the option of disabling the TCS, ASM, or ABS on your old-school car: it shouldn't have any of that stuff in the first place. Ditto with transmissions such as having a manual or automatic transmission in a car that never came with one.

Just a gripe, never mind me...

Yay for four-wheel lockups~!! Now races with vintage racing cars (Shelby/AC Cobra, I'm looking at you, buddy) will approach a nearly realistic level of terror.

Anyways: brake bias control during a race is a little silly. TCS/ASM at least should be able to be turned on/off during the race -- every car I've ever had with a TCS or ASM has had a little button for it.

Seems to me every car should come with the features it may have had from the factory -- you shouldn't even have the option of disabling the TCS, ASM, or ABS on your old-school car: it shouldn't have any of that stuff in the first place. Ditto with transmissions such as having a manual or automatic transmission in a car that never came with one.

Just a gripe, never mind me...

I agree, Old school cars should not have any, and only way to turn them on is to BUY modifications to them. So if you lets say Give the old Merc 400 horsepower and you can't handle them ( too much stress for rear wheels) then you go to a shop and buy the Traction controls modules for that car :).

Latest Posts

Back