Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
If they planned on coming out with AC2 this Fall/Winter, I would just wait until then and not get the DLC.

It's anybody's guess but based on what they've said it looks like AC2 is still some ways off, like 1-2 years or more.

I think it was Stefano, but it might have been Aris, I can't remember... Well, he said that to get the best out of the AI you should let them run practice or qualifying laps so they can sort out who is going to be the faster drivers of the upcoming race. Otherwise, you end up with some of the slower drivers starting in the front of the pack and the quicker AI drivers are "blocked" by them - especially on those first couple of laps.

I know that I didn't exactly quote what was mentioned regarding this topic, but I'm sure you can find it on the official forums if you look. I can't wait to try v1.7.. Personally, I have good races against the AI 95% of the time. I just hate when they freakin' pit maneuver me!! :mad:
That's an excellent point! You should add that to the "Tips and Tricks" thread.

It's anybody's guess but based on what they've said it looks like AC2 is still some ways off, like 1-2 years or more.
I don't really see the point of AC2. Kunos makes AC the best they possibly can in incremental steps. They improve the physics, they improve the AI, and they add features, cars and tracks. What would AC2 be that AC isn't intended to be someday. I personally like this approach. I hope that with the introduction of the console versions it will give them the resources to add a better thought out career path and well designed challenges which can keep single player fresh.

Continued work on multiplayer to provide better performance, and desired functionality for online racing/leagues can grow the user base. I see AC as a growing entity without a lifetime or a need for a successor.

The only problem in AC is that the game engine can only have one light source as someone had said. The only thing AC2 would fix would be a new game engine that allows that so we could have night races with headlights.

I don't really see the point of AC2. Kunos makes AC the best they possibly can in incremental steps. They improve the physics, they improve the AI, and they add features, cars and tracks. What would AC2 be that AC isn't intended to be someday. I personally like this approach. I hope that with the introduction of the console versions it will give them the resources to add a better thought out career path and well designed challenges which can keep single player fresh.

Continued work on multiplayer to provide better performance, and desired functionality for online racing/leagues can grow the user base. I see AC as a growing entity without a lifetime or a need for a successor.

Like WHaT said, AC2 will be necessary if for no other reason than adding multiple light sources for night racing, and the possible addition of weather (not sure if that's possible in the current engine). Also, keep in mind that AC was originally envisioned to be fairly basic and only have like 20 cars and 5 tracks, so the engine wasn't developed in a way that can accommodate things some people expect to be standard in a racing sim, like a proper spectator mode, or being able to choose your livery in multiplayer, etc. In order to add those things they probably have to build a new engine using what they learned with AC1, so AC2 will be necessary at some point (and personally I hope it's not more than a year or two away).

AC2 and the direction it takes is going to depend almost entirely on the success of AC1 on consoles IMO. If it takes off they'll have the funds to do much more. If it gets a lukewarm reception they'll be right where they are now. Personally, and I know this is sacreligious, but I'm more of the opinion that I don't want Kunos to reinvent the wheel with AC2. If night racing or weather doesn't come I'm fine with that. I'd rather not see them try to create a whole new game engine just for that. What I'd prefer is to simply build upon the game as it is, widen out the feature base, add more fine details to the tracks and improve the atmosphere and add things like rally cross, stadium trucks, oval racing, drifting etc. Basically the same game engine but a much wider range of motorsport accurately represented.

widen out the feature base

I think that's the problem with the current engine though. Based on my limited knowledge, the current engine was never really designed with a lot of the desired features in mind. As such, they've had to try to retro-fit things and shoe-horn them into the existing engine. That's why we're left with strange artifacts like not being able to select your liveries online. I'm sure the team is quite capable of building an engine that would allow users to select their preferred livery for multiplayer races, but forcing the current engine to do it seems to be a big enough task that it's not worth doing.

So to really widen out the feature base, at some point they're just going to have to start with a new engine and build it with these extra features in mind based on what they've learned with AC1. I don't think that necessitates reinventing the wheel, but more like building a modified wheel that's slightly better in every way using knowledge they gained from their first attempt at the wheel.

AC2 and the direction it takes is going to depend almost entirely on the success of AC1 on consoles IMO. If it takes off they'll have the funds to do much more. If it gets a lukewarm reception they'll be right where they are now. Personally, and I know this is sacreligious, but I'm more of the opinion that I don't want Kunos to reinvent the wheel with AC2. If night racing or weather doesn't come I'm fine with that. I'd rather not see them try to create a whole new game engine just for that. What I'd prefer is to simply build upon the game as it is, widen out the feature base, add more fine details to the tracks and improve the atmosphere and add things like rally cross, stadium trucks, oval racing, drifting etc. Basically the same game engine but a much wider range of motorsport accurately represented.
While i dont fault you for thinking that i think it will largely also be effected by the ACPRO client, they get a massive markup on it. You have major marques like Ferrari, Abarth, Alfa, Porsche, Dodge and Honda using it for massive media events, now thats nice and all but then you get the teams that have been using ACPRO for a while, its extremely popular with the lower end teams like VLN 235 and gt86 users.

its no rfactor pro yet nor do i think they are aiming to be but it may have to be the replacement in the future as bespoke simulations are crazy expensive and ISI have ceased all support for RFPRO(not that its gonna suddenly get less accurate but its still a problem as teams want a up to date solution especially with variables of hybrid and full electric, hydrogen etc coming into play). Either way AC should be able to eclipse the pc sales on console reasonably well with GT sport not here yet and a general lack of racers or sims at that it should do fine, not extremely well because 505 havent marketed the jesus out of it.

As for AC2 if its coming it will take a while, stefano has made it clear that writing a new engine would have to be done, maybe heavily modifying unreal may work as well but either way its a long way off. Instead of building he will likely nuke and pave, he has been quite vocal about his mistakes which cant really be corrected now

Stefano just confirmed the Maserati 250F in the next DLC.
What?! The Maserati 250F, one of my top 5 cars of all-time, is confirmed for the Italian Pack? Why can't it be 28 August...

EDIT I just saw the video Assetto Corsa posted on Twitter in which the 250F featured heavily. I'm so happy!

Last edited:

fb4199ebe50aa3a19da488865a8a2c0d.jpg

I have jumped into the AC club. Due to Pcars not working well in my new Win 10 rig, I decided to give AC a try.

So if this is a real simulator, I am impressed at how predictable it is to race in it. I was afraid I was going to suck, but this makes me feel like I could take a car into a track irl and I'll do great. Oversteer is relatively easier to control and my G27 responds better than I've ever felt it before. The Heel-Toe (yes, I turned auto gas blip OFF) is harder to mess up like in Pcars. Having all assists OFF doesn't make the driving harder, but a lot more controllable for some reason.

I could go for hours, but I have to say I am very impressed with this game. I can't say it feels that much different from Pcars, but it's certainly a lot more refined. I honestly couldn't go back to PCars after playing this. I love how you can even customize your gear patterns. I can drive the F40 and Countach as it should be (like a ZF transmission). speaking of which, I drove the F40 at Nurburgring, even with ABS off and with the 90's street tires. I was laughing like a maniac the whole time. I didn't even crash once or lost control on a car that I learned to fear from the GT5 days.

The only negative is the content. There isn't too much to see. It's really just a 20 minute session every now and then just like PCars. But I've learned to see these games for what they are. In AC you get this little handful of cars with a physic model tailored almost to the last detailed when comparing to their real life counterpart. That is appreciated.

Also the price. It's only justifiable during a Steam sale. Graphics aren't that great either and it runs at 50fps at max for some reason. But it looks good enough. Sounds are a bit of a disappointment as well. There are a couple of cars that sound okay, but then the majority sound a bit crappy. the M3 E92 doesn't even have a V8 sound.

Overal, this is a game to have if you like driving. It's a beautiful physics platform and I doubt there is another simulator that comes close. But for my car enthusiast needs, Forza is still my #1 love. There will be one day when we will have a game with AC's physics and Forza's content. That day I would have reached heaven.

I was laughing like a maniac the whole time.
This was my initial reaction too:lol: Glad you enjoyed it. 👍

Graphics aren't that great either and it runs at 50fps at max for some reason. But it looks good enough. Sounds are a bit of a disappointment as well.
Are you saying it's hard capped at 50 fps and never goes over? If so, that's got to be a limitation in game settings. Is VSync on? Do you have the framerate capped?

This was my initial reaction too:lol: Glad you enjoyed it. 👍

Are you saying it's hard capped at 50 fps and never goes over? If so, that's got to be a limitation in game settings. Is VSync on? Do you have the framerate capped?

FPS is set to the unlimited option (can't recall the option's name). V-Sync is on, and everything else is set to High. I've never seen a game capped at 50fps before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have Pcars maxed out and I'm getting above 60ps. And PCars is slightly more demanding.

I will have to play around with the settings. I should be able to run this game nicely.

FPS is set to the unlimited option (can't recall the option's name). V-Sync is on, and everything else is set to High. I've never seen a game capped at 50fps before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have Pcars maxed out and I'm getting above 60ps. And PCars is slightly more demanding.

I will have to play around with the settings. I should be able to run this game nicely.
Maybe try disabling V-Sync, I can easily get 60+fps on high settings on a less powerful PC than yours.

If VSync is on then it's limiting itself to the refresh rate of your monitor. See if you can change the refresh rate of your monitor and I'd turn VSync off anyway as it introduces some input lag.

If VSync is on then it's limiting itself to the refresh rate of your monitor. See if you can change the refresh rate of your monitor and I'd turn VSync off anyway as it introduces some input lag.

Thank you kindly for the advice. I still quite don't understand a few things regarding refresh rate and other stuff. I now know that VSync will eliminate screen tare and that is very useful since some games look awful with it disabled.

What is the appropriate refresh rate for a monitor? Mine says 1920x1080 60Hz. Doesn't seem to have an option to change the refresh rate.

Also make sure you check the weather and track conditions before racing. If the track defaults to "optimal" then you probably have unrealistically too much grip (AC's beginner mode). Switch it down to "slow" on tracks like the Nordschleife, or "fast" to simulate a typical race day.

P.S. I get average 90-130fps in game (everything on ultra, but post processing off because I find it too shiny and prefer without) 50fps cap is weird
P.P.S. There's a standard tweak advised all over the place to set "maximum prerendered frames = 1" in drivers for AC. Alternatively there's a config file tweak to do this. I personally have an Nvidia Inspector AC profile with this setting configured since early access started. This should make the FFB immediate, whereas if you don't set it some people get lag in the FFB.

Last edited:

I have basically the same PC as you and I'm mostly in the 70-ish range on Ultra on the Nordschleife.

Latest Posts

Back