Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,509 comments
nice

btw i have all orginal skins ,They are all reminiscent of old DTM skins

View attachment 1382733
They are technically real liveres, Who ever made them just replaced the real sponsors with fake ones cause they most likely didn't have the rights to it.
image_2024-08-21_151652357.pngimage_2024-08-21_151701902.pngimage_2024-08-21_151726946.pngimage_2024-08-21_151808870.pngimage_2024-08-21_151857779.pngimage_2024-08-21_151921722.png

Last edited:
It will be better to add the AO to that actual skin, was the layer not included with the PSD file that was provided earlier? AO really is a must and there is a huge difference in how it looks in game, which is more noticeable at certain angles such as this angle:

No AO:

View attachment 1382597

AO:

View attachment 1382598

Just look at the darker shadowed areas, the difference really is night and day? Don't take my feedback badly, just trying to point out where it could be improved and if you are not sure how to add the AO layer to that actual DDS give me a shout in PM, but thanks again for the skin!
Adding AO to the DDS file does look better yes but then you're stuck with 60-80mb skins if you want the maximum quality possible, and if you reaaallly wanna have a lot of skins it'll fill your drive real fast.

That's why I don't do it anymore - besides it doesn't look as bad ?

Screenshot_f302_opel_calibra_touringcar_sebring_90s_21-7-124-15-32-4.jpg

Screenshot_sf_toyota_gtone_ts020_98_sebring_90s_21-7-124-15-33-23.jpg

Screenshot_sf_porsche_911_gt1-98_sebring_90s_21-7-124-15-35-52.jpg

Adding AO to the DDS file does look better yes but then you're stuck with 60-80mb skins if you want the maximum quality possible, and if you reaaallly wanna have a lot of skins it'll fill your drive real fast.

View attachment 1382760
View attachment 1382758
View attachment 1382759
I think maybe some wires have been crossed? AO adds nothing to the size of the DDS. Maybe you are referencing mip maps? AO is part of the Kunos pipeline as despite what some people think, the game engine does not create any ambient occlusion at all, not in the way people think anyway. Refer back to my 2 screenshots. Both skins are the same file size but the bottom one has the AO layer merged into it.

I think maybe some wires have been crossed? AO adds nothing to the size of the DDS. Maybe you are referencing mip maps? AO is part of the Kunos pipeline as despite what some people think, the game engine does not create any ambient occlusion at all, not in the way people think anyway. Refer back to my 2 screenshots. Both skins are the same file size but the bottom one has the AO layer merged into it.
I tried. PC2 skin size, 4096x6144.

No AO : 24mo

__custom_showroom_1724248639.jpg

AO (DTX5): 24mo, visual artifacts

__custom_showroom_1724248559.jpg

AO (Uncompressed): 96mo, no visual artifacts

__custom_showroom_1724248615.jpg

Yeah, it might not be Kunos' pipeline but I'm not sticking with these big ass skins, I tried once and it's too much. Or maybe there's a better DDS format out there !

Or I've been doing it wrong for all this time lmao

Last edited:
I tried. PC2 skin size, 4096x6144.

No AO : 24mo

View attachment 1382771

AO (DTX5): 24mo, visual artifacts

View attachment 1382772

AO (Uncompressed): 96mo, no visual artifacts

View attachment 1382773

Yeah, it might not be Kunos' pipeline but I'm not sticking with these big ass skins, I tried once and it's too much. Or maybe there's a better DDS format out there !

Or I've been doing it wrong for all this time lmao
How are you creating the AO? It should not be affecting the file size :confused:

How are you creating the AO? It should not be affecting the file size :confused:
... with CM ?

edit : idk how to answer to two people in the same post so GT3Masters97, that's what I tried with the Calibra.
It works, frees up space on my PC and it's still better than no AO applied... Argh.

Last edited:

View attachment 1382760
View attachment 1382758
View attachment 1382759
From my little experience I believe that the important thing is to assign a good AO to the model, having it on the skin adds some more details but I don't think it is mandatory. I did some tests on the TVR and only gained a few more pronounced shadows in some places, nothing else.

... with CM ?
No I mean in photoshop, your template includes an AO layer but states not really needed? Your skins are being saved as body.dds so they effectively replace the txdetail part of the shader and then the game uses the AO form the body_diffuse.dds which is loaded with the car. So your screenshots (if that other car you have set up is the same) will all include AO whether the actual skin you made has it or not, it is grabbing the AO from txdiffuse. So not really a "no AO" comparison at all. Did you look at my 2 screenshots of the Calibre, the difference with AO and without is startling. It should not even be up for debate whether it is needed or not, is absolutely IS needed in AC.

If you save your skin again for the calibre with AO layer activated you should see no difference in file size? But use the file name body_diffuse.dds, you will not be replacing the txdetal part so that will be kept, just as Kunos does it with their skins.

I am not telling you you are wrong, something just doesn't add up. If I save your template with AO layer activated and at DXT5 for example it is 22mb. If I disable that layer, it is still 22mb. Ofcourse it is the same size as nothing is changing other than the shade of some pixels in the DDS. Your different file sizes have to be coming from something else.

From my little experience I believe that the important thing is to assign a good AO to the model, having it on the skin adds some more details but I don't think it is mandatory. I did some tests on the TVR and only gained a few more pronounced shadows in some places, nothing else.
It really is needed, see above.

so here version 1.1 Opel Calibra DTM´94
thats new:
Version 1.1
-New Shift correction ,add Overalls by Mascot
-New Physics (éboo´s)
-New Sound (found on Overtake/RD)
-New Skins (Orginal Game Skins)
-add Body.dds to internal banner
-optimze all Lods to the new Body.dds include internal banner

Now the cars is absolutely perfect thanks a lot :)

thats new:
Version 1.1
-New Physics (éboo´s)

Thanks a mill to all involved :cheers:
The car looks / feels / drives awesome now.
👍

Your different file sizes have to be coming from something else.
The larger file size is because he saves it uncompressed, instead of DXT5 compressed.

And the reason he saves it uncompressed, is because the gradients in the AO introduces compression artefacts, which will not be present in the "flat" skin without AO.

So the question as I see it, is if those artefacts are so bad that saving uncompressed is really necessary. Ok, it's a trade, but I'd go with AO and perhaps some minor compression artefacts.

The larger file size is because he saves it uncompressed, instead of DXT5 compressed.

And the reason he saves it uncompressed, is because the gradients in the AO introduces compression artefacts, which will not be present in the "flat" skin without AO.

So the question as I see it, is if those artefacts are so bad that saving uncompressed is really necessary. Ok, it's a trade, but I'd go with AO and perhaps some minor compression artefacts.
That's exactly it.

DTX5 is cool and all but as you said, the compression results in visual glitches and I hate those. I can't unsee them.

RMS R8 (same AO stuff as the Calibra) with DTX5 compression:

__custom_showroom_1724259359.jpg

without:

__custom_showroom_1724259373.jpg

If there's a way, somehow, to apply AO to a skin without having : visual artifacts AND a huge file I'm all ears !

"Your skins are being saved as body.dds so they effectively replace the txdetail part of the shader and then the game uses the AO form the body_diffuse.dds which is loaded with the car. So your screenshots (if that other car you have set up is the same) will all include AO whether the actual skin you made has it or not, it is grabbing the AO from txdiffuse. So not really a "no AO" comparison at all"

That's exactly what I've been doing to the cars I tinker with, so yeah, no AO needed on the skin themselves. And the Calibra should have it...

Capture d'écran 2024-08-21 190200.png

That's exactly it.

DTX5 is cool and all but as you said, the compression results in visual glitches and I hate those. I can't unsee them.

View attachment 1382804

without:

View attachment 1382805

If there's a way, somehow, to apply AO to a skin without having : visual artifacts AND a huge file I'm all ears !

"Your skins are being saved as body.dds so they effectively replace the txdetail part of the shader and then the game uses the AO form the body_diffuse.dds which is loaded with the car. So your screenshots (if that other car you have set up is the same) will all include AO whether the actual skin you made has it or not, it is grabbing the AO from txdiffuse. So not really a "no AO" comparison at all"

That's exactly what I've been doing to the cars I tinker with, so yeah, no AO needed on the skin themselves. And the Calibra should have it...

View attachment 1382808
Lucky for me I have poor eyesight, I don't even notice those kinds of artefacts. But I definately know what you mean about stuff you notice, and when it's first noticed, it cannot be unseen... Better take off your reading glasses, so everythings will look like ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly it.

View attachment 1382804

without:

View attachment 1382805

View attachment 1382808
Can’t argue with that if that’s what you prefer :-)

thats new:
Version 1.1
-New Physics (éboo´s)

Thanks for the update and for including the skins. Even if they're fake-a-likes they will make very useful guide layers for anyone to add the proper brands without having to guess the correct positions.
Always include all skins and (if available) the .psd template and it's then a lot more likely that skinners will add more.

Edit: You didn't add the revised shift timing in driver3d.ini from the files I sent you?
Bruce Lee on amphetamines is currently changing gear in The Matrix.

@JK1977 Here's your new data.acd but with the proper timing included:

Attachments

• data.zip
    55.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Opel Calibra DTM 4k skin close replica

Not exactly the same body so there are a few differences but its close enough to the real thing

drag and drop to install

Screenshot (622).png

That's exactly it.

View attachment 1382804

without:

View attachment 1382805

View attachment 1382808
There is a better compression than DXT5 for DDS files with less visual glitches. In paint.net it's called "BC7 (Linear, DX11+)". You should use this instead of "BC3 (Linear, DXT5)" und compare the results with the uncompressed file. The file size of the DDS will be the same as with DXT5, but you must ALWAYS save the DDS with mipmaps as AC can't create the mipmaps for the new format and the game will crash otherwise. But 21.3MB with mipmaps is better than 64MB for a 4K uncompressed DDS without mipmaps. Just test it.

A little something i've been fooling around with for Spa_2022. If there is enough interest, I will make it available for anyone interested. It would require downloading the track again. I realize that might upset some people because of all the hassle it takes to get the Pyyer extensions installed. Maybe I can figure out a way to do it where you don't need to delete the existing track folder and only need to overwrite the existing files.

Apologies for the swift update but I think the adjustments help a lot with overall contrast and general aesthetics.
** LINK UPDATED to v1.6 28th May **
VAO patch adjustments for deeper shadows/higher contrast; new grass texture, and saturation adjusted; tree contrast/saturation adjusted; new Germanic balloon skins.
https://sharemods.com/6pbot2cu0k9c/vhe_hockenheim_v1point6.zip.html
Improved AI (far from perfect) for Short A/B + new pitlanes (lined up with fast_lane for A, new for B).

Time improvements with IMO suitable cars:

Short A:
Clio Cup 1:15.3 -> 1:12.0

Skip Barber 1:13.5 -> 1:11.5

Mx5 Cup 1:13.2 -> 1:11.4

Ginetta GT5 1:11.4 -> 1:10.1

Audi TT Cup 1:06.6 -> 1:05.0

Short B:
Clio Cup 1:15.3 -> 1:13.7

Skip Barber 1:15.6 -> 1:13.5

Mx5 Cup 1:14.3 -> 1:13.1

Ginetta GT5 1:12.5 -> 1:10.9

Audi TT Cup 1:07.8 -> 1:06.8

Attachments

• AIhockenheim.zip
    628.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ill ask again since I have interest. Since I'm new to making mods and conversions Is it ok to post conversions if you have tried to get permission but cannot get any response/can't find a way to contact the creator? Cause this guy has fallen off the face of the earth. I just don't want to break a rule. Like I have his name as the lead credit in the track file. Also is there any sort of thing around converting rfactor conversions of the SRW tracks? Asking as I am currently working on Edmonton

There is a better compression than DXT5 for DDS files with less visual glitches. In paint.net it's called "BC7 (Linear, DX11+)". You should use this instead of "BC3 (Linear, DXT5)" und compare the results with the uncompressed file. The file size of the DDS will be the same as with DXT5, but you must ALWAYS save the DDS with mipmaps as AC can't create the mipmaps for the new format and the game will crash otherwise. But 21.3MB with mipmaps is better than 64MB for a 4K uncompressed DDS without mipmaps. Just test it.
Be careful with the BC7 one, the trouble isn't just the mipmaps on AC. It's mostly due to directX compatibility, and as Dx is fondamentally linked with Windows, depending on the version/update/etc, it can result in a simple "bleh" by one's computer and not another. Because I'm not sure if AC was even made compatible at all to begin with.

Personally I prefer to avoid it.
On the AO's artifacts subject, you can reduce them with a few tricks on Photoshop, without having to add weight.

Once you got it (whatever source, really, but always twice the size of your final render, maybe 4 times but not more), black and white (neutral) filter on it, then duplicate layer, filter, surface blur, navigate your blur so you get the minimal changes while cleaning surfaces (usually a threshold around 10/15), and finish with a mask and the eraser to reveal/diffuse spots if needed. quick and effective. Of course, only apply if you keep the AO as it is on AC, no painting on it!

And keep your AO as black and white, always. for exemple an AO coming from CM is not black and white by default, so compression will create color artefacts on the edges.

Not yet, I need to confirm a few things before I do just that.

Claudio made and released this back in mid 2023 on his patreon until he took it down for some reason. He even made more cars and I already know that people gonna say delete them because of their bad quality. But until I see better models, these are staying in my garage.

He also have others like these and some that haven't been released yet:

View attachment 1382468
Would love to get that Viper RT/10. Any estimated time to release it on sight?

The Ascari FGT has seemingly 6 mirrors... how to get rid of the 3 bogus ones?
( I've seen this on many mods already , and it always is annoying to actually set the mirrors as you need to go over the none existing mirrors till you find the correct ones...)

He was denied permissions to convert them (including the Pantera in your previous post) and he did it anyway despite original creators saying no, namely the DB7 (made by me and other people), as well as the FTO, the Camaro and the Viper.
Did something go wrong while converting, or is it like this in the original ? In that case the wheels, tires and wheel arches sure need some TLC (to name just a few things)...

detomaso.png

has someone maybe a link to this car?

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back