Cappuccino Cup Racing (RM) - SEASON 1 COMPLETE!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,431 comments

Best Race Day/Times (Top 2 Will Be Chosen)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the qualifying went pretty good last night, as far as the host's duties anyway. Once we are released from the pits, it's our own responsability to space out and give each other room, not the hosts. We have to make sure to remember that. We all spend plenty of time practicing together before each race, so if you end up lining up to qualify behind someone that you suspect is slower then you, leave extra room. If you do end up getting close to someone (in front or behind) and you know your not having a good lap, use that lap to space out again.

I thought the qualifying went pretty good last night, as far as the host's duties anyway. Once we are released from the pits, it's our own responsability to space out and give each other room, not the hosts. We have to make sure to remember that. We all spend plenty of time practicing together before each race, so if you end up lining up to qualify behind someone that you suspect is slower then you, leave extra room. If you do end up getting close to someone (in front or behind) and you know your not having a good lap, use that lap to space out again.

+1 👍

Tron 👍

Congrats to Brosif for flawless run.We were going to have a nice battle when you caught up to me once i got away from yuri and Evo but that turn 2 grass got me and i went from the lead to 3rd in one turn.I kept waiting for you and Evo to get tangled up and allow me to catch back up but that didnt happen.

Thanks for the good word!

I had just made it past Evo and was looking forward to our ensuing battle only to see you take too much inside kerb in Turn 2 which loosened you up and pushed you into the wall at turn exit. My initial though when I saw that you were shooting for the inside kerb was “I wonder if he found a setup that works well with the ker… nope!”

Had some close racing up front for a few laps. Then I got sideways going too deep after the tunnel, got tapped and spun around. Nothing you can do about it, just a racing accident, I shouldn't have been sideways, was entirely my fault. Good race Brosif, iForce and Lancer. Congrats on the come from behind Brosif.

Thanks!

Your chaos unfolded right in front of me. In fact, I was so enamored by your spinning car and all the smoke that I almost offered you a steak dinner (T-Bone). :dopey:

It was definitely great fun working my way through the field. I want to thank everyone for keeping it clean through the first set of corners and, with that being said, to remind the two self-induced, Lap 1 spinners that tires usually need a few laps to warm up and you should adjust your driving accordingly. :D

For me, the opening lap was a ton of fun with a pretty crazy view which resulted in me moving up to 6th by its completion. I had a front row seat when Hummel (IIRC) lost the arse-end of his Capp on the lefthander leading to the uphill run of Sector 2. Hummel’s quarter spin sent him across the track from right to left directly in the path of an unsuspecting Brandon who of course had nowhere to go. The resulting collision righted Hummel but I am sure caused some temporary damage to both Capps. I also witnessed, and heard, CAMikaze’s eventful exit from the final turn which sent him on a B line towards the inside wall.

After inheriting the lead from iforce I still had to deal with Evo who, despite my best efforts, was firmly holding onto my draft and insisting that he pass me rather than work together and bump draft. Since iforce was only three or four seconds out of the draft and I didn’t want this to become a three person battle again, I decided I would let Evo have the lead and I would bump draft him to maintain the gap back to third place. As for how I was going to win the race, I decided that I would either have to wait until the last lap and draft Evo out of the last corner to pass him just before the finish line or I would have to pressure him into making a mistake costly enough that would allow me to pass and break the draft. Luckily the second scenario came into play and was then able to build a gap by running a string of 1:12.6 – 1:12.9 lap times.

I really enjoy the Cappuccino at GVE Reverse even if there are only three braking points. The first and last corners are very fun with these cars and it feels so good when you get it right and lay down a personal best lap time. I am going to go home and watch the replay at lunch, take some photos, and see what other action I missed during the race.

Last edited:
You had me worried for a minute, because I know I remember double-checking how to spell your name! lol

I don't have a problem with you switching colors on your car. I do like when people stick with a color scheme through the season because we all get to know each other's cars just by sight. If I see a pink car, I know snoopykuan is near!! lol But I think this was your first race with us so nobody knows your colors yet. And it's not a huge deal anyway, several people (including myself) have changed colors at least once already. :lol:

Brandon

For sure it is good to stick with one color on the car. Maybe we can change up the color of the rims for fun.

As for contact, I was not in the race last night so I have no idea what happened. But I thought I could share what I have learned to avoid contact. I noticed a lot of bumps the first 2 races, but have had no complaints the last 2 races. Generally, what I have personally learned is that when I start mid field, I have to increase my braking distance by a lot more coming up on the first turn (because the cars in front are braking earlier to avoid contact). Also, I try not to overtake at the first opportunity. In reality, there are only a few spots on a given track where passing is possible. GT5 distorts that a bit with the draft, but to pull off clean passes is not easy. I also find it helpful personally to follow people in testing sessions for many laps. I have learned to brake earlier, to let off gas when drafting, and to not make contact (although that still happens from time to time).

Overall, this has been a very enjoyable series for sure.

As for contact, I was not in the race last night so I have no idea what happened. But I thought I could share what I have learned to avoid contact. I noticed a lot of bumps the first 2 races, but have had no complaints the last 2 races. Generally, what I have personally learned is that when I start mid field, I have to increase my braking distance by a lot more coming up on the first turn (because the cars in front are braking earlier to avoid contact). Also, I try not to overtake at the first opportunity. In reality, there are only a few spots on a given track where passing is possible. GT5 distorts that a bit with the draft, but to pull off clean passes is not easy. I also find it helpful personally to follow people in testing sessions for many laps. I have learned to brake earlier, to let off gas when drafting, and to not make contact (although that still happens from time to time).

Overall, this has been a very enjoyable series for sure.

You're right on the money Snoopy. People need to realize that during a race you most likely will not be able to take the same lines and use the same braking points as you do in practice. When a car is in front of you, be prepared to brake a little earlier than normal to allow for the car in front of you to brake. You don't know where his braking points are or what line he's going to take, by backing off a touch you allow yourself "flex room" to adapt to the other driver's line.

Also, drivers should not try to over-take on every turn. There are certain turns at every track that are best for over-taking, plan your move for that corner. Brosif described this all very well in his last post, you could see how he was planning several turns and laps in advance as to when he would make his move, and then would use patience in setting it up. At the last Nürburgring race I had been trailing RDAardvark and I knew I could probably close up on him, possibly make the pass. With 3 laps to go I made the decision to try an over-take at the final hair-pin on the last lap and I used the remaining 2.5 laps to maintain my pace and setup for that last lap pass. I had a couple opportunities before that where I MIGHT have been able to make the pass but it would have been forcing the issue and could have ended in disaster for both of us. Instead I used PATIENCE by staying right on his tail and intimidating him for 2 laps and sure enough I made the pass on the last lap as planned, cleanly and with no contact. RDAardvark actually complimented me on a "brilliant pass" after the race.

Ok, I'm just about done beating this horse. Again, my mini-rants today are mainly directed at a couple people. The rest of you have done a fantastic job of showing what clean and smart racing is all about and you make me proud to be the host of this league. I just had a lot of steam built up after last night that I had to blow off.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Cappuccino break.

B

Brosif
After inheriting the lead from iforce I still had to deal with Evo who, despite my best efforts, was firmly holding onto my draft and insisting that he pass me rather than work together and bump draft.

I really don't know why people do this. Anyone who's raced any low-powered cars on GT5 will know that bump drafting is crucial if you want to make time on someone.

I also witnessed, and heard, CAMikaze’s eventful exit from the final turn which sent him on a B line towards the inside wall.
Quoted for painful truth.:ouch: I was trying to keep under control my Capp's tendency to spin-out after coming out of a sharp turn and managed to throw away the opportunity to turn a Top 5 qualifying result into a possible podium finish or win.:( After that event occurred, I was pretty much into damage control mode trying to keep in mind everything iForce said to me during practice a couple of days before with regards to setup and how to attack the course. With 2 laps to go, I was able to make it back up to 7th and had Cobra Commandrew in my sights where I made another miscue and lost control on the uphill section after the tunnel faster than you can say "YO JOE!" Fortunately for me I was able to get back underway quickly without losing too many positions.

I bumped into a red car early in the race and waited until he was back on track ahead of me. The person who hit me or the mess I was avoiding which caused the hit, did not wait. When in doubt, I wait. If someone hits me into someone else, we both ought wait. I hate to sound like the pastor @ church, but being courteous, patient, honorable...these shouldn't be what you aspire to...they should be who you already are!

Also, I do know off hand that I crashed into Brandon on one of the final laps as he was re-entering the track. There was 1 lap left and I knew time was running out. In my greed, however, I did not wait. I talked myself into deserving a finish for how the race had transpired to that point. I'm not sure if Brandon thinks I should have waited...hopefully you'll watch the video to that point and give an opinion.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to Friday's race. I've enlisted outside help to have the best possible gearing for the automatic transmission so hitting 120 on the straight is possible. :D

Last edited:
Diabolic, I remember that incident and it was totally my fault. I tried my best to stay clear of oncoming traffic but my car had massive damage and I had no control. No reason for you to wait for me there. My car just fell apart in the last few laps for some reason, it had been fantastic the whole race but after a couple crashes and spins it was uncontrollable. Probably partly due to seeing red. Lol

Speaking of seeing red, it appears I forgot to save the replay last night (even though I took a pic of the results screen) so I guess I can't review any incidents. Because of that I don't feel it's fair to serve up any criticism or punishment so we'll just call this a "learning experience". It does provide us a platform to discuss a penalty system for next season though. It won't completely cure unsavory driving, but should help discourage it. I haven't put any thought into it yet because I was hoping I wouldn't have to penalize people, so I'll open it up for discussion and get your opinions. What would be a fair but simple penalty system that wouldn't make me be a jerk?

B

I think I found a way to automatically upload my race broadcasts to youtube immediately after the race. The ustream app I use has the option to share to youtube so I'm going to tinker with it. I know it's only from my view which isn't as exciting as multiple views switching between drivers, but I'm usually around the middle of the pack and that's where the best action seems to be! I will also do a second video where I switch between views and chase the action but that wouldn't be until the next day probably. The ustream app uploads my broadcast as soon as I finish broadcasting. If this is a feature any of you enjoy I will continue to do it. I know I enjoy watching the race videos and being able to show them to people that don't play GT5. :)

Looking forward to another exciting race at GVE-R tomorrow! I really enjoy this track and I think it's my favorite so far for the whole season. I think it's a ton better in the reverse configuration than the normal one, scenery is better too. Probably a pretty good chance this would be the one track to make a repeat appearance in season 2, if I can't come up with all new ones. I think season 2 will probably expand to 6 races with the possibility of running at a custom track later in the season.

Brandon

I bumped into a red car early in the race and waited until he was back on track ahead of me. The person who hit me or the mess I was avoiding which caused the hit, did not wait. When in doubt, I wait. If someone hits me into someone else, we both ought wait. I hate to sound like the pastor @ church, but being courteous, patient, honorable...these shouldn't be what you aspire to...they should be who you already are!

I believe it may have been my car who you collided with on the final turn in one of the first couple laps (also don't have a replay). If I recall correctly I believe I was "nudged" going into the turn by another car and my rear slide out, I over compensated and shot back onto the track right into your path. Although you waited for me and also apologized over the mics, it wasn't your fault...so later on in the race I tried to keep bump drafting you down the straight because I knew you had some gearing issues :) That was the only incident I had and it was a very enjoyable race.

Again, I apologize for my mini-rants yesterday. I think I (wrongly) gave the impression that there were massive amounts of bad driving from many members in Tuesday's race. This wasn't the case, there are really only 2 drivers that constantly disrupt the event (before and during) and I guess they exceeded my level of tolerance on Tuesday.

Neither of them chime in to this thread (even though one of them is viewing it right now) so it was probably wrong of me to express my dis-satisfaction here because the majority of you display some incredibly smart and courteous racing skills. So, my apologies to the group if I gave the wrong impression that bad driving was rampant, it wasn't my intention. I consider it all behind me now and we'll move on to Friday's race with a clean slate.

:cheers:

B

I believe it may have been my car who you collided with on the final turn in one of the first couple laps (also don't have a replay). If I recall correctly I believe I was "nudged" going into the turn by another car and my rear slide out, I over compensated and shot back onto the track right into your path. Although you waited for me and also apologized over the mics, it wasn't your fault...so later on in the race I tried to keep bump drafting you down the straight because I knew you had some gearing issues :) That was the only incident I had and it was a very enjoyable race.

It's difficult to be sure without the replay. There's a small 'gang' of us in matching red Capp's that tend to run together mid-pack, may be hard to tell us apart sometimes. Be careful around us, all of you 'non-reds', we will stick together and defend our 'colors'!:mischievous:

From this day forward, you may refer to us as, "The RedCapps" :D

Last edited:
It's difficult to be sure without the replay. There's a small 'gang' of us in matching red Capp's that tend to run together mid-pack, may be hard to tell us apart sometimes. Be careful around us, all of you 'non-reds', we will stick together and defend our 'colors'!:mischievous:

From this day forward, you may refer to us as, "The RedCapps" :D

Well, that's a "colorist" statement if I've ever heard one! lol

I need to get some practice laps in tonight for the race tomorrow. Will anyone have a room open later tonight, say around 9:30 ET? If not, I can open a room if anyone is interested.

I need to get some practice laps in tonight for the race tomorrow. Will anyone have a room open later tonight, say around 9:30 ET? If not, I can open a room if anyone is interested.

I'll probably be making my way towards bed close to that time (I get up at 5am for work everyday) so I won't make it, but feel free to open a room for others that don't have to go to bed as early as me. 👍

B

I might pop in for a bit - or maybe I will open a room a little earlier... Wan't to race the 450pp room from around 9.30.

It's Thirsty Thursday at the local minor league baseball stadium so chances are I will still be at the game or the dueling piano bar across the street. MMMMMM $2 beers. Go Lugnuts!!!! If it rains, however, I will probably be around for some shenanigans. :)

It's Thirsty Thursday at the local minor league baseball stadium so chances are I will still be at the game or the dueling piano bar across the street. MMMMMM $2 beers. Go Lugnuts!!!! If it rains, however, I will probably be around for some shenanigans. :)

Mmmmm. Beer. Sounds so good!
However, don't do what I did the other week: Beer+GT5=disaster!

Mmmmm. Beer. Sounds so good!
However, don't do what I did the other week: Beer+GT5=disaster!

I regularly beer+GT5 and find it can be quite fun! Within reason of course, excess can cause disaster! lol

Never a more appropriate time for :cheers:

To be honest, I really couldn't tell you if my Capp even runs without beer...:P

We have the same events over here at the Whitecaps stadium...I think it's going to be a beautiful night for it.

We have the same events over here at the Whitecaps stadium...I think it's going to be a beautiful night for it.

So you're from GR? It's amazes me how many people I meet and race with on GTP that end up being from Michigan or within 200 miles of me. Hurray for the Midwest!!!

BrosifDuder
So you're from GR? It's amazes me how many people I meet and race with on GTP that end up being from Michigan or within 200 miles of me. Hurray for the Midwest!!!

Owens and I are both within 200 miles of you, straight south. We're the bottom half of America's high-five. Lol

I've even been to Cooley Stadium!

Appears we may need a real life meet at a decent karting place, something centralized.

I'm in!

Owens and I are both within 200 miles of you, straight south. We're the bottom half of America's high-five. Lol

:lol: Actually you guys would be a bit south of the wristwatch/shirt cuff area. :dopey:

Who was on pole for Tuesday's race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back