Cappuccino Cup Racing (RM) - SEASON 1 COMPLETE!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,431 comments

Best Race Day/Times (Top 2 Will Be Chosen)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I did some more testing with my GT class (100hp, 590 kg) knocked down to SS tires and the ST class (75hp, 690 kg) on CS tires, and it's made the cars more fun to drive, and also put a bigger gap between the classes (15 seconds / lap at Madrid) I'll put the cars online if anyone would be interested in testing them.

If people are getting promoted from Decaf to FullCaf, then you should also have relegation as well.

Maybe top 4 and bottom 4...

Alright, I did some more testing with my GT class (100hp, 590 kg) knocked down to SS tires and the ST class (75hp, 690 kg) on CS tires, and it's made the cars more fun to drive, and also put a bigger gap between the classes (15 seconds / lap at Madrid) I'll put the cars online if anyone would be interested in testing them.

See Brandon's response to limiting power and tire selection between Capp versions:

My classes wouldn't be limited on power, both the Reg Capp and RM Capp would be all parts/full power, both on Sports Soft tires. Much simpler to police that way. Again though, I haven't compared the lap times of the 2 cars, there might not be a big enough difference in lap times to make it work (depending on the track).

I just read the posts in a bit more detail.. I was actually thinking that you would be running 2 different races for the 2 different classes as opposed to them running them all in the same race (hence my comment above about top4 and bottom 4 being relegated).

Hmmm, I think in theory 2 races would be better but from a practical point of view I'm not sure how you would be able to make it work.

Like someone said earlier, what happens if 12 FullCapps turn up and only 4 DeCapps? The race for the 4 DeCApps would not be much fun.

Actually, here is a way it could work.

Run 2 separate rooms at the same time. 1 for RM class, 1 for Street class. Same qualifying process etc.

After the race, collate the results and work out the promotions and relegations for the following week depending on your promotion/relegation rule...

You obviously need another steward for the 2nd room but given the number of people, I'm sure you'd be able to find one. And everyone is getting familiar with the process as well.

Hehehe RM's are like a shot of expresso with your cappuccino.

Did a stock body Cappy today. Some decent areo mods available.

Be interesting to see the diversity in color, aero, and wheels that can be had with the non RM.

Have I been disqualified for not turning up on Saturday?
I've lost all my points! :(

You're back in the mix, 18pts. đź‘Ť

Talking about the promotion/demotion, I wasn't really intending for drivers to float between the classes during a season or any kind of a system that promoted/demoted between the league's based on performance during a season. I was thinking more along the lines of doing short 4-5 week seasons and drivers move up or down for the next season. Maybe the top 5 finishers (drivers who completed at least 3 out of 4 races in the season) in the Decaf class would move up and the bottom 5 drivers in the Caffeine class would go down. Not to be intended as any kind of a penalty though, just to shuffle things up. I'd just leave it up to driver choice but I figure everybody would go for the RM's, so I'd need some kind of system to shuffle drivers between series.

See, this is opening a whole can of worms!! But that's why I asked, get the creative juices flowing and put some ideas on the table. Even if we don't do this plan we might come up with something else that work's or is fun. đź‘Ť

I'm throwing together a social group for us, haven't done much with it yet but we can move the discussion for the second season over there to keep this thread on track. I'll add some more to the social group but we'll still have the main thread in this section. I'll probably do a different thread for each race so the OP will just have the relevant info for the current week (plus a brief overview of the rules and procedures) but we can use the social group to host pics/vids and schedule practice sessions and free races. It's an open group, but I'd like it if everybody that's raced this season could join so I always have a handy list of our members available. :)

Cappuccino Cup Racing Series Social Group:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/group.php?groupid=370

B

I think I'm gonna hop online and do some testing, if anybody wants to join just hop in my coffee cup. Literally! :)

B

In principle I like the two tier system, kind of like the English Premier League where they move teams up and down in the divisions based on top and bottom finishes. I'm not sure I like the idea of mixed classes within a single race as it makes for speed differences that can cause problems when lapping cars and potentially fairly small fields when you don't have a big turnout. When we had 11 or 12 show up this year, it could have been 5/7 or 4/8 in two classes and part of what makes racing the Cappy's fun is usually you have someone to run with whether you're battling for 1st or 14th. With 3, 4, 5, or 6 other drivers in your class, your chances of a heated battle are reduced. My preference would be a side by side series, run in concurrent or consecutive timeslots, or completely different timeslots, doesn't really matter.

If the DeCapps are the "training" series so to speak, then I don't think we should have drivers being able to participate in both series. The DeCapps should be reserved for those drivers with a little less skill and experience who shouldn't have to compete with the "pro's", IMO. I know they allow drivers to compete in any series in Nascar, but Nascar does it because all they care about is the money and the big names, not about having a true feeder/training series for the big cars.

As it looks like you aim to be known as the Cappuccino King Brandon, I think it's a great idea to have a development series, but let's keep them separate and have a true development series, and not just a different series with the same drivers. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want, but I think you'd really be taking this to the next level as an ongoing thing if you could pull off a development league of sorts, with a high level of continuity between the seasons.

Lot's of work though...lol.

I'll probably be castrated for this, but one thing you might do, since it is a beginner series, is start them off on racing hards or something with a little more grip, to make the racing closer and somewhat easier. Heresy I know, but from a practical point of view, makes some sense to me...lol.

I posted something in the social group for season 2.

What is average time at Indy so far?

I popped home at lunch time and did a 1:48.444. Not sure if this is good or not. I only did 3 or 4 laps and still have my setup from GVE-R so the times will likely drop once i do a bit of tuning later in the week...

StigsHero
I'm barely breaking 1:50.9 but Brosif is doing 1:47's. So somewhere in between there.

Lol. I guess it depends on wether your asking the 'caffeinated' or 'decaff' racers! I really like Indy in my other series, in my Capp I'm in the 1:50's as well.

Well my 1:48 looks alright then?? As long as you ignore the superfreak (that is actually a compliment brosif, lol)

In principle I like the two tier system, kind of like the English Premier League where they move teams up and down in the divisions based on top and bottom finishes. I'm not sure I like the idea of mixed classes within a single race as it makes for speed differences that can cause problems when lapping cars and potentially fairly small fields when you don't have a big turnout. When we had 11 or 12 show up this year, it could have been 5/7 or 4/8 in two classes and part of what makes racing the Cappy's fun is usually you have someone to run with whether you're battling for 1st or 14th. With 3, 4, 5, or 6 other drivers in your class, your chances of a heated battle are reduced. My preference would be a side by side series, run in concurrent or consecutive timeslots, or completely different timeslots, doesn't really matter.

If the DeCapps are the "training" series so to speak, then I don't think we should have drivers being able to participate in both series. The DeCapps should be reserved for those drivers with a little less skill and experience who shouldn't have to compete with the "pro's", IMO. I know they allow drivers to compete in any series in Nascar, but Nascar does it because all they care about is the money and the big names, not about having a true feeder/training series for the big cars.

As it looks like you aim to be known as the Cappuccino King Brandon, I think it's a great idea to have a development series, but let's keep them separate and have a true development series, and not just a different series with the same drivers. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want, but I think you'd really be taking this to the next level as an ongoing thing if you could pull off a development league of sorts, with a high level of continuity between the seasons.

Lot's of work though...lol.

I'll probably be castrated for this, but one thing you might do, since it is a beginner series, is start them off on racing hards or something with a little more grip, to make the racing closer and somewhat easier. Heresy I know, but from a practical point of view, makes some sense to me...lol.

Exactly what I meant by "opening a can of worms!". I think it's a neat idea and has some potential for the future but for now I'm going to say it's "jumped the shark". lol The idea sure got a reaction from the crowd though! I think it would work better as a "feeder series" to the RM Capp's so that's how I'll try to approach it for the future. We already have such a packed schedule with 3 races a week that I'm not sure how I'd squeeze anything else into the series, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Now for the business, unfortunately I will not be around this weekend to host Saturday's race. I will be attending the Vintage Grand Prix and Car Show at Mid-Ohio Race Course and will be leaving early Saturday morning. So I'm looking for a volunteer to host Saturday's race. I think Mule is busy with his other series still so he won't be able to but if anybody else thinks they'd be able run the show for an afternoon I'd greatly appreciate it!

And yes, I do aspire to be the Cappuccino King of GTP! lol Also, I added some photos to the social group as well as a post in the Season 2 thread. I hope to be adding some more content to it today and throughout the week. đź‘Ť

B

I'm a fan of the idea, but I'm not sure I really wanna drive a car any slower then the Capp's that we are currently running. :yuck:Are there any other small race cars that we could upgrade our 'GT1' class drivers to maybe?

Of course, then it wouldn't be a Capp series anymore...:dunce:
Maybe some testing with a non RM Capp is needed.

Put the class 2 drivers in Honda S800 race cars :)

Put the class 2 drivers in Honda S800 race cars :)

We're not going to go with 2 class system just yet. Maybe in the future but for now it's too complicated and a little too ambitious. I'm going to keep it in mind and maybe down the road we might evolve into it. đź‘Ť

B

Perhaps I should have used the :lol: to show I was kidding. If folks are in anything buy a Capps, the series would need renaming

Well my 1:48 looks alright then?? As long as you ignore the superfreak (that is actually a compliment brosif, lol)

:D No worries, I knew what you meant.

I have run 47.3s on my GVE-R setup as I haven't spent any time tuning the car yet. My car pushes with its current setup due to the lack of banking assistance in the corners. I know that 46s are possible it's just a matter of finding the right gearing and setup then stringing it all together. đź‘Ť

Last edited:
I stumbled across something in the gearing last night that may be helpful to some. A couple of you may have picked up on it after our little Capp-drag race, instead of changing my entire gearing, I just lengthened 5th gear in my Capp. The only time I need 5th is in the long straits where I'll be drafting anyway, and keeping the shorter gears really let's the Capp power off the line and out of the low speed corners.

See Brandon's response to limiting power and tire selection between Capp versions:

I realize that. This was something I had planned to do a while ago. I had been talking to Brandon about it around the time this series started.

I realize that. This was something I had planned to do a while ago. I had been talking to Brandon about it around the time this series started.

It is an interesting idea and I think it could end up being a ton of fun if it's done correctly, but I think it's a little over my head for now. I'm still learning the whole "series director" role as I go and I think that's too big of a step for me and this series right now. I've never run in a multi-class race before either, so I have no idea what's involved.

Lancer, if you end up doing your idea maybe your group and mine could be associated. Since you plan on limiting the power on both cars maybe it would make a good "feeder series" into the full RM Capp's, or something. We'd just have to work together to make sure the races don't conflict with each other since I'm sure several members here would probably take part in another Capp series. :)

B

BrosifDuder
I know that 46s are possible it's just a matter of finding the right gearing and setup then stringing it all together.

... meanwhile, my best lap is 1:56. Bring on DeCaf class, I say.

Just a reminder, the Season Finale's start tonight at Indy Road Course, my home track! My lounge will open around 7pm EDT for a final practice session and qualifying will start at 8pm EDT sharp! To clarify, the room will be open for a while before qualifying starts so try to show up a little bit early and reserve your spot in the race!

And for your enjoyment, here are a couple pictures of myself at the hollowed grounds of IMS. :)
MotoGP
picture.php

Indianapolis 500
picture.php

See you all in 'Nap-town!
B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back