Concours Club [Single Make Same Tune Racing]

• Thread starter Captain Roh
  • 1,808 comments
Bit out the loop at the moment, do we need to supply the caterham or will the lobby have it there for us? Just read your post above captain and it implies the latter?

Actually no Dhandes, and thanks for bringing this up because I'd hate for there to be any confusion.. The Cateram is in the Online Dealership right now, you will need to buy it.

This week I have implimented a couple of modifications to the Cateram, so even if available you wouldnt be able to use the Recommended car.

I wonder how well I would do if no assists were allowed?

You do alright as it is mate 👍 As far as I'm aware though, there are only 3 or 4 Concours members who use TC. And I think even then it depends on the car.

Personally I never use it whatever the situation. I hate the stifled feeling from the car that it generates. I prefer to learn from mistakes rather than avoid them too ;)

Personally I never use it whatever the situation. I hate the stifled feeling from the car that it generates. I prefer to learn from mistakes rather than avoid them too ;)

QFT, even though I hadn't really played in an age when I dropped in briefly last night I still kept all the assists off in a car I know is uncomfortable for me on the pad as it is. Sure I crashed lots and I wasn't really competitive but I'd not have it any other way so long as I feel I'm making progress myself.

So who's online from about 8pm GMT for an evening of repeated crashing and cursing, that goes under the guise of a practice session? :lol:

Seriously guys, if you haven't had a practice in this car, you really do need too! It's an awesome combo, but it will bite your backside if sundays race is your first outing in the Caterham at the green hell 👍

Actually no Dhandes, and thanks for bringing this up because I'd hate for there to be any confusion.. The Cateram is in the Online Dealership right now, you will need to buy it.

This week I have implimented a couple of modifications to the Cateram, so even if available you wouldnt be able to use the Recommended car.

No problems, I have just checked and I already have one. Must have won it as a prize car. Will modify to the criteria, and give it a spin, literally!

It is an interesting combo for sure, BUT: after three days of practice i have realised that using the aids in this car, on this track is pointless. The car behaves the same, or at least it seems to me that way.
Secondly, it's so hard for me that is exasparating. It is the first time i am seriously thinking of dropping this one for fear of taking someone down with me. I crashed, spinned, unsuccesfully drifted (and crashed all the same), braked more than i should and got off road. After a zillion tries, I have made only 5(!) clean laps. Oh well...

i only use tc at 1 and only for rwd cars, still getting to grips with drivin them. but i've started to do drift trials and i'm slowly getting better at catching the back end. i feel unconnected with this car, most cars you can feel the car movin about but this thing is a nightmare lol. i'll be back on fri night for some bonding with this car,

i only use tc at 1 and only for rwd cars, still getting to grips with drivin them. but i've started to do drift trials and i'm slowly getting better at catching the back end. i feel unconnected with this car, most cars you can feel the car movin about but this thing is a nightmare lol. i'll be back on fri night for some bonding with this car,

I felt the same way, I think alot of it is the tyres as last time I ran this car was stock rubber and it seemed to have more progression then when I had my brief run this week. It's not exactly confidence inspiring on the pad to say the least because it's so difficult to predict when it's going to let go, but half the fun is being taken out of your comfort zone.

This car is a blast on the Ring; I have been using the practice area to race other blades and practice side by side racing. This car has grip, but not as much when one, or two, wheels off the ground :dopey:

You also get more reactions out of the wheel force feedback too 👍

It's not exactly confidence inspiring on the pad to say the least because it's so difficult to predict when it's going to let go, but half the fun is being taken out of your comfort zone.

This. This is what I aim to achieve here at Concours. I have learned a great deal since racing with all you guys, and I hope that you have to. Just lately however, I get the feeling people would rather we had race tyres and perfectly balanced machinery every week. With due respect, that sounds like the most boring racing criteria I could think of!

Most of you who have known me a while will of heard this statement before, but its the reason why Concours was born, and so I'll share it once again:

I fell out of love with Prologue quite quickly. Partly because the lobby system didnt allow for any real organisation between friends, but mostly because every damn lobby that had anyone racing in it drove the same cars day in day out, tuned to the max in every way imaginable. Inevitably, in order to be competetive I borrowed tunes from online garages and joined the masses. And this is when I got bored.

The cars just started merging into one undistinguished race car. No oversteer, no understeer, perfect traction, perfect balance,.. boring. All the cars started to feel the same, especially when they're all tuned specifically for Suzuka, and you're driving around it a thousand times a week!! :yuck:

I decided that cars didnt need to be tweaked and tuned to within an inch of their lives. Its the driver that makes the difference. Even in perfect race cars yes, but especially when adapting to a less than perfect motor.

It is said of the greats that they could drive beyond the limits of their cars, finding ways to drive around any problems the car may of had. This is the kind of driver that I want to be. This is the kind of driver a Concours driver will hopefully become ;)

It is an interesting combo for sure, BUT: after three days of practice i have realised that using the aids in this car, on this track is pointless. The car behaves the same, or at least it seems to me that way.
Secondly, it's so hard for me that is exasparating. It is the first time i am seriously thinking of dropping this one for fear of taking someone down with me. I crashed, spinned, unsuccesfully drifted (and crashed all the same), braked more than i should and got off road. After a zillion tries, I have made only 5(!) clean laps. Oh well...

Keep at it Sparky, I have seen flashes of great speed in your previous races with me. 👍 More than anything this week though, you need patience! There is only so fast you can drive around this circuit, it is pointless to try and go faster. It will bite you hard!!

Build up your consitency and stay away from the curbs, you will find your line around this green hell and the speed will follow. And besides, its not who can drive fastest that will count this weekend, but those who last longest! It will be a very long race this weekend and to finish first, first you must finish ;)

i feel unconnected with this car, most cars you can feel the car movin about but this thing is a nightmare

The Cateram has a very stiff chassis, compounded by the fact that it runs low and so needs quite hard suspension. That said, once you're in tune with this car its an absolute joy. Especially here at the Nordshleife! I've had this thing four wheel drifting and all sorts, right on the edge but totally in control. Even when you make a mistake you can catch it so easily too. The steering and the brakes are so responsive, personally I think this car is a dream to drive. But everyone has their preferences ;)

This car is a blast on the Ring; I have been using the practice area to race other blades and practice side by side racing. This car has grip, but not as much when one, or two, wheels off the ground :dopey:

You also get more reactions out of the wheel force feedback too 👍

:lol: I know that weightless feeling! :sly: You're obviously pushing hard Jacque, good stuff :) Just be careful though, because practice area grip physics are slightly different to online. Maybe you should practice on sport hard if you're going to do it a-spec style 👍

Well said, I was once someone who enjoyed those super grippy cars but the more I've matured as a driver the more I seek loose and difficult cars and more often then not choose a more difficult less competitive car when I do race even if I'm already against better drivers.

I would actually say I prefer the Caterham on slightly worse tyres, for a bit more progression and a bit more sideways action (essentially it was more predictable because you knew you'd be sideways every time you did almost anything :lol:). That being said I was lacking confidence massively due to my lack of GT playing, perhaps next week I'll make a proper return to the Concours (combo depending what with DLC) and hopefully I can be back to best so I can mix it up in the first half of the grid.

Well said, I was once someone who enjoyed those super grippy cars.

Me too!

It will be a very long race this weekend and to finish first, first you must finish

I already feel the ache spreading through my arms. Grab the ds3 and take this car for a spin or two, if you don't exactly get my point. lol
If I don't ragequit, I will do my best!

Last but not least, the problem with this car is not the grip(tyres), rather than the weight. It's too light for a vehicle. Maybe there should be some ballast settings, or some suspension tweeks so it would not be so easy to spin.

i love it here at concours the variation of cars has taken me from drivin with all aids on to now where i stick to 1 tc, there's even cars i'm happy to drive with it all switched off. like i said i'll keep plugging away with this car might even surprise myself on sun, the ring is my fav track so if it's on the schedule i'm there if i ain't working.

I will do some online practice too to get used to the online 'grip'; but as always, too much fun chasing down other cars :)

I'll be online Saturday around 8 p.m. BST and will look to see if anyone else is about eh :dopey:

I'll be online tonight, but probably not until nearer 9. Or just after.

: IMPORTANT :

I have a question I'd lke you all to answer too. This sunday I had intended to use the new weather system and night and day cycle. I realise now that a few of you are struggling with this combo as it is, never mind in the dark or rain. Therefore I want to put it to the vote.

Your options are;

Dry race. Sunny
Dry race. Time cycle starts early afternoon and ends at dusk.
Dry race. Time cycle on full 24hrs

Random weather. Sunny
Random weather. Time cycle starts early afternoon and ends at dusk.
Random weather. Time cycle on full 24hrs

Last edited:
Oh yeah, qualifying.

Options as follows.

20min qualifying. One out lap, one fast lap.
In order of results from previous race week.
Random

Actually, with Concours meets aiming to be done within a two hour time period, we have time to qualify. So I've made the decision for you :D

: IMPORTANT :

LOBBY OPENS AT 8PM BST. QUALY WILL BEGIN AT 8.10. QUALY WILL FINISH AT 8.30. RACE WILL BEGIN AT 8.40

While I'm asking you all to vote on track conditions for this sunday, I would like to know your opinions on DLC for next week. Personally I plan to buy it the minute it is available. And as you might guess, I want next weekends race meet to be held at Spa.

Let me know a simple yes or no to DLC. This way I can guage if the majority of you will be able to race. If people are not able to purchase DLC straight away, I may postpone the combo another week.

If you have any preference between the following cars for next week, just copy the text into your reply and put a thumbs up next to your prefered vehicle. Thanks :)

Honda CR-Z Touring Car
Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Mazda RX-7 Touring Car
Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 Touring Car
Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Touring Car 👍
Toyota Prius Touring Car

Last edited:
This would be my preferred option.

Dry race. Time cycle starts early afternoon and ends at dusk.

As for Spa, I will be buying it. According to amar12 dlc thread, if the lobby owner has Spa, all in his lobby can race on it, which may make things easier for track selection. As for the dlc cars, not sure.

I reckon the prius or cr-z would be great (or ferrari f10 hint hint), a nice hybrid eco race!

Honda CR-Z Touring Car 👍
Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Mazda RX-7 Touring Car
Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 Touring Car
Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Touring Car
Toyota Prius Touring Car 👍

its been confirmed that the host can have the dlc spa and people with out it can still race it. I read it somewhere but forgot where lol

I am getting the entire DLC as just tracks and cars is a dollar more than complete DLC :dopey:

Mazda Roadster Touring Car 👍

As far as track conditions and car choice goes I have no real preference, it'll be the same for everyone. It's just great to race in Concours 👍 DLC I will no doubt buy, but I do resent having to pay for it, not because of the cost, just on principle.

As for the track, I wouldn't know. I will team up with the majority on this matter.
As for the dlc, I intend to get it, I do not know when though.

As far as tonight is concerned, I'm easy with whatever option gets picked...I enjoy the challenge of racing on a track where the conditions can be a little unpredictable.

The dlc, yeah I'll get it on the first day I should imagine, like Cpt D said it's a shame we have to pay for it, but on the other hand it's not expensive, and it is new stuff to play with 👍

I think our stiffly sprung lightweight might be too much of a handful on the ring, in the rain.
Day-night transition would be awesome though 👍

As for DLC i'll get everything (but i feel just like Captain_D and Crispy :grumpy:)

Was looking forward to tonight, but my wrist, was killing me. Next time will make sure I don't damage my hand getting out the rough, damn links good courses!

Will be putting in the miles at Spa-Francorchamps, ready for next week. It's going to be immense!

Latest Posts

Back