Craziest cars to race in Supercar festival with?

Mercedes 300SL - Languished in 10th until I got used to the rather ropey handling, finally finishing 4th on Deep Forest. (or is it trial mountain? I can't remember now!)
Might give it another go, and change the gear ratios a little.

Mercedes 300SL - Languished in 10th until I got used to the rather ropey handling, finally finishing 4th on Deep Forest. (or is it trial mountain? I can't remember now!)
Might give it another go, and change the gear ratios a little.

How much is that modified? Would think the gullwing could do better as it was a very potent competitor in its day. Looking forward to an update.

Well I was right the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA is able to win as long as you can get through the crowd fairly quickly. I did get lucky and the AI's 2 fastest cars were a Zonda C12 and a Jaguar XJ220...still enough to keep me in 3rd place most races.

Now let's see what I have in the garage...how about this Honda Prelude Type S '98 I just got in the UCD?

Tried a few more today:
Lotus Carlton, minimum mods and sport mediums. Could keep up, but not catch up. Finished 11th on Eifel.

05 Mini Cooper, tuned to about 450 PP, with sport hards. No hope on Tsukuba. Dead last, almost lapped by the J220.

Cappuccino RM, fully tuned. 2 tries around Trial Mountain, first with the low turbo, second with the high turbo. 11th and 8th spot respectively. Did get as high as 5th at one time with the high turbo but just could not keep it on the road.

And to XDesperado67 thanks for this thread, its been a blast and made me try a bunch of cars that I would not have even thought of. Well done.

And to XDesperado67 thanks for this thread, its been a blast and made me try a bunch of cars that I would not have even thought of. Well done.

Thank you for all the shares that have helped keep this going and given me ideas for other cars lost in my garage.

I do have a question that maybe you can help answer. Does it seem to you that Kei cars and some compacts/hot hatches get penalized/harder to drive when you run them in races that PD didn't expect them to be in? I find it odd that I can on a good day carve a sub one minute lap cleanly on the Kei cup Eifel track yet have a hard time keeping the car on track in the Supercar Eifel.

I do have a question that maybe you can help answer. Does it seem to you that Kei cars and some compacts/hot hatches get penalized/harder to drive when you run them in races that PD didn't expect them to be in? I find it odd that I can on a good day carve a sub one minute lap cleanly on the Kei cup Eifel track yet have a hard time keeping the car on track in the Supercar Eifel.

Maybe it's because you're trying a bit too hard to keep up?

Maybe it's because you're trying a bit too hard to keep up?

That thought had occurred to me but I don't just run the Kei car Eifel to grind for money but to try and improve my lap times and race times.

By the way finally took 1st at Eifel in the Prelude...accelerates very good, but I didn't like its cornering.

XDesperado67
That thought had occurred to me but I don't just run the Kei car Eifel to grind for money but to try and improve my lap times and race times.

By the way finally took 1st at Eifel in the Prelude...accelerates very good, but I didn't like its cornering.

Same here...Im trying to break the 1 minute barrier but my fastest time has been 1 minute 1 second...in a Mazda Furai...I think thats the best car 4 this event

- Dead last, but same lap, 24s behind, in a '76 Golf GTI
- 4th in an '82 Audi Quattro

All done with max tuning, on Tsukuba

- Dead last, but same lap, 24s behind, in a '76 Golf GTI
- 4th in an '82 Audi Quattro

All done with max tuning, on Tsukuba

Hmmm had been meaning to try both of those on Eifel...have to move them up in my tryouts...the '76 golf has always been a favorite of mine and like the way Audi's in general drive.

Just got a 2nd in a Hyundai Clix concept '01 on Eifel. Couldn't quite catch the Zonda C12S.

- 3rd in a mm Cup Car '01 (couldn't catch the Zonda or Gallardo)

Also tried a '67 2000GT on Eifel and Tsukuba. 5th on Eifel, 10th on Tsukuba.

- A fully tuned Toyota RSC '01 was able to finish first on Eifel vs the Jag X220, but finished second to the R390 on Tsukuba

- And an '88 Supra 3.0GT just couldn't catch the McLaren F1 around Tsukuba. It did make mincemeat of the Zonda C12S, though :D

Last edited:
I beat the last race on there with a fully modded focus ST, that was really fun trying to get in the way of the fast cars down the straight lol.

Okay I'm back with another report. Been having a blast with a great little car :D
But first going a bit off topic what do you all think of starting a second thread for favorite cars (no race car,RM or Supercar) to run/grind the Supercar seasonals with? I have a couple in mind but don't feel they have a place here as they are a bit to close to the Supercars to really count as crazy rides.
Anyways back to our regularly scheduled programming! :cool:
If your looking for a car that is an absolute blast to drive check out the Toyota Carolla Levin GT-APEX (AE86) '83. This car just ate corners at Eifel I'm neither a great driver nor a drifter but the first time (totally by accident) that I pulled a full throttle 4 wheel drift across the top of the rise and found myself not only still in complete control of the car but lined up dead on the driving line and a perfect entrance and speed to hit the left hander at the bottom I got the worlds biggest grin. This car loves to be tossed about and yet even without any aero modifications shows great grip in corners and stability at speed. It's only real flaw is a lack of power that limits its speed down the long front straight. With a full modification you have a choice of either the supercharger or stage3 turbo. Both land you at 474 PP, the supercharger gets you 261 bhp and 218 ft/lb torque@5400 rpm, the turbo nets you 270 bhp and 194 ft/lb@6900 rpm.
On Eifel I found that the turbo was good for about 5 extra mph over the supercharger going down that front straight which makes a big difference in when and where the Supercars catch you and your ability to draft them. Either way your top speed is only going to be somewhere between 132 mph and 142 mph without a draft and depending on how much speed you carry out of the last turn and how late you start to brake. I did manage to get 1st place with both setups but the pole sitter was the Ferrari California '08 for my wins. If the R390 road car, McLaren F1, or Zonda C12S was at or near the front I just ran out of time to catch them finishing 2-4 seconds back.
I run with only abs1 and drive line active (still manage to slam plenty of walls :sly:) and automatic transmission on race softs using a ds3.
Think I'll try out the Toyota Celica XX 2800GT '81 next see if its the same sort of tossible fun ;)
Drive hard and have fun everyone! Until next time:cheers::gtpflag:

Fully modded 86 fwd celica. Wins trial mountain and eiffel 80% of the time. Insane ride impossible to use on anything but tracer tires though. Great thread! Will be going back through this for inspiration soon.

98 integra type r with 500 PP. Gave it a whirl and surprisingly won quite comfortably. Aids off with a g27.

I wonder what the lowest PP is that can win?

98 integra type r with 500 PP. Gave it a whirl and surprisingly won quite comfortably. Aids off with a g27.

I wonder what the lowest PP is that can win?

Lowest PP is at least partially dependent upon what cars the AI is using and their starting placement on the track. So far in my experience the Ferrari California '08 on the pole seems to be the easiest field to beat with average lap times in the mid 1:16.xxx range on Eifel being sufficient to pull out a close win. Not sure what my lowest PP is but as you can see from my above post I won in a 474 PP Toyota Carolla Levin GT-APEX (AE86) '83. Conversely having the R390 road car on pole is probably the most difficult to beat as it continuously pulls away from the rest of the field with only a couple of the AI cars able to stay remotely close if they're close to the front at start (McLaren F1 & Zonda C12S). With the R390 your probably going to have to turn average lap times around the low to mid 1:14.xxx range to have a chance at winning.

Well I tried the Toyota Celica XX 2800GT '81 out. Was seriously disappointed by it after the fun I had in the '81 Carolla Levin. Couldn't get the car to turn in at all, just some of the worst understeer I've encountered. Add the fact that its a couple of hundred KG heavier than the Carolla but only able to muster an extra 26 bhp over the Carolla turbo at 296 bhp and roughly equal torque and it wasn't a recipe for great success. After fighting with it briefly and unable to find even the slightest improvement I decided to move on to a 3rd Toyota I'd recently found in the UCD. This one was rather interesting. In '85 Toyota introduced its 4th gen Celica as a FF model instead of the FR of previous generations. What I have here is the ultimate version from a performance standpoint of that 4th gen. This is the car they built their WRC contenders with and in 1990 Carlos Sainz won the drivers title with. May I present the Toyota Celica 2000GT-Four (ST165) '86. Unlike the other 4th gen Celicas this one is a 4wd. Fully modified I was able to get it to 490 PP, 350 bhp, 275 ft/lb torque@6400 rpm and a svelte 1124 kg. While initially understeering badly I was able to get it to a more or less neutral handling. Believe a little more tweaking by a better tuner could improve it even more. After the very light and highly tossable Carolla this car felt very heavy. It required a much different driving style, but after getting used to its handling it turned in as fast or faster laps on Eifel as the Carolla. This was greatly aided by its higher top speed down the front straight of around 150 mph, making it much more capable of hanging with the Supercars there. Again I took 1st with the Ferrari California '08 on pole but doubt it would be able to catch the faster Supercars in only 5 laps.
For my next project I'm sticking with Toyota as I've just acquired a WiLL VS '01 from the UCD. Very quirky styling but looks promising.

Till next time drive hard and have fun! :cheers: :gtpflag:

I've still yet to try it, but will give it a go tomorrow, my favourite little giant killer - Mistubishi CZ3 Tarmac Road Version.
picture.php

This little beast was my fave car in GT4 and was so glad I got one in GT5, and it still performs miracles! It's won the supercar challenge in the A Spec mode, so should be more than up to the job in the seasonal!

(Since taking this shot I've gold chromed it and it looks awesome, photo is in my gallery)

CZ3 update - Wins at Trial Mountain (with a little bit of chicane jumping)
It's all about getting the braking right for this one, as it gets absolutely annihilated on the straights. Even taking that into account, I still managed to pass the lead R390 on lap 3!

Well, tried a fully tuned E-Type. Best I could do was 3rd on Eifel. Good news was that in the first few laps I was able to maintain my distance behind the leader (F-1, Zonda or R390) but when I caught up with the main grouping of cars (8th-5th place or so) I got slowed down and ended up about 17 seconds behind at the end. PP was 508, fully tuned except for the carbon fiber drive shaft :). The E likes the slow in/fast out technique for sure as the tail will come around on you under braking going into a corner.

Also, well done to eran0004 for the success with the A110, I know what a handful that car can be and know I do not have that kind of skill level :bowdown:
I got 513pp out of my E Type, but can't drive it in anything approaching a straight line anyway. No doubt when these cars were new, wipers for the doors were an option...

I won them in my Fairlady Z yesterday. (Fairlady sounds less impressive to me than 370Z).

I have a pretty well setup E-Type and will try it out sometime today. Do I need to use sports soft tires, or can I use Racing Soft?

iamjajo
I won them in my Fairlady Z yesterday. (Fairlady sounds less impressive to me than 370Z).

I have a pretty well setup E-Type and will try it out sometime today. Do I need to use sports soft tires, or can I use Racing Soft?

I'm pretty sure you can use any kind of tire you want. Sports Soft only applies to what the AI are using.

I did it in a 1970 chaparal 2D race car PP650 it doesn,t brake well on the corners at high speed but it does get round them rather fast.
Lightweight car as well and does rather well to get a good lead.

Awesome thread! Gave me an idea :)
I will try my Caterham SuperSeven!

It's modded to match the car I've been racing with IRL the last three years, 155 bhp, 559kg, and sport soft tires. Based on what I've read here about laptimes I think I can beat the R390 on pole without switching my ABS on :)

I'll report back ;P

Well the E-type didn't let me down. I had to use Racing Soft tires, but I didn't feel too bad about it since the AI had 100 PP on me and I started 12th.

IMG_0074.jpg

Well the E-type didn't let me down. I had to use Racing Soft tires, but I didn't feel too bad about it since the AI had 100 PP on me and I started 12th.

IMG_0074.jpg

Well done!

I forgot to mention that I tried the Tesla, right after the Lotus Carlton, with out much success I'm afraid. It would lose about 2-3 seconds per lap on the leaders on Eifel. And not a lot you can do as far as more power. Seemed heavier than it is, while the Carlton seems lighter than it is.

Hmm,what should be next........maybe I should try harder with my E-Type :nervous:

Back