Derek Speare Designs - Button Boxes - Shifters - Great Gear

• Thread starter derekspeare
  • 1,567 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Derek, I've got a few of your components and love them and just wanted to say thanks for providing the great service you do. After being burnt by the Crook Todd Cannon, it makes it so much more apparent when a company cares about the community they serve.

I know, not really a post about anything related to your products, just a thanks.

Derek, I've got a few of your components and love them and just wanted to say thanks for providing the great service you do. After being burnt by the Crook Todd Cannon, it makes it so much more apparent when a company cares about the community they serve.

I know, not really a post about anything related to your products, just a thanks.

One of the primary goals I established when starting my button business was to create a new standard in service for the Sim Racing Community. Every company's success or failure is directly related to the level of service provided to the customer. That's a Cardinal Rule.

Thank you, Mayaman for choosing DSD Components! We're never far when needed :)

:gtpflag:

d

Hello!

This is just one question... has derekspearedesigns ever thought about making a handbrake just for PS3 and/or XBOX?

One that you can plug in seperately?

Or something, that connects to the USB output of the wheel and to the PS3, so that it just simulates an handbrake-button-push?

just an 💡 going by... 👍

Hello!

This is just one question... has derekspearedesigns ever thought about making a handbrake just for PS3 and/or XBOX?

One that you can plug in seperately?

Or something, that connects to the USB output of the wheel and to the PS3, so that it just simulates an handbrake-button-push?

just an 💡 going by... 👍

No plans to offer console related components. Maybe in the years to come, but nothing is intended other than the awareness that many folks use consoles.

Or course, if we were to find a hardware developer with specific experience developing components for the PS3 and Xbox, we'd apply more interest. However, we offer components for the PC user first and foremost.

No plans to offer console related components. Maybe in the years to come, but nothing is intended other than the awareness that many folks use consoles. Or course, if we were to find a hardware developer with specific experience developing components for the PS3 and Xbox, we'd apply more interest. However, we offer components for the PC user first and foremost.

Oh, okay... just thought of because there is no other way to get a handbrake for GT except from DIY... but thanks for the fast answer:tup:

When pCARS is out I will also have a look at your current sortiment:tup:

Sponsorships 101

Here's our good friend Leo Parente discussing a basic overview to approaching prospective sponsors and arranging sponsorships in the real world of auto racing. There's relevant crossover to sim racing, and it's worth 10 minutes of your time to watch the video and listen to his expert opinion on what to present to a potential sponsor to increase the chance of having them agree to an arrangement.

Keep in mind that Leo didn't elaborate on the importance of differentiating why a particular driver/team, etc. would be more valuable to the sponsor than another driver or team offering a deal, and it's a point to consider when approaching a concern with your proposal. In our sim racing world, it's my opinion that this is a vital consideration.

Positioning a marketing message in any context has to be started, constructed and maintained with one central theme of benefits to the listener. Without benefits to the listener, there is no way they will agree to anything. Anything other than benefits to the listener will cause them to stop listening.

d

Hello Derek,

would like to purchase the pro sequential shifter from you. But there`s one problem: I don`t have a credit card and also no paypal account. Is there a chance to pay over a bank transfer ?

Hi Derek,

I received this week the DSD Sequential Shifter, it took almost 2 months to arrrive here, but the problem was the Brazilian Post Office, they were on strike for about 20days. Anyway, It was worth it to wait. Ive just fitted the Shifter and it is like was built for my rig, looks great and feels great as well.

Thank you very much! Amazing Prodcut, they only con is that Im gonna have to go back to Gym now, otherwise will not be able to do long races ehehehhe.

nyfy.jpg

Will be ordering a Button Box soon, cause now I dont have the G25 Shifter Buttons anymore.

👍👍👍👍👍

All the best!

G. Lazzari

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and photo, Giovanni. The strike explains why things have been difficult to Brazil. Thank you for your patience to allow the shifter to arrive, and I'm pleased it's to your liking :)

The shifter does require a bit of "oomph" to it, but be cautioned that you should not try a Logitech shifter once you get used to the DSD for the reason that you might rip it off the mount!

Cheers!

d

I've got a major problem with my DSD sequential shifter. It was so well built that I had to build a new rig for it. lol
Now I can punch it as hard as I want without fear of breaking my rig. :)

Hubby came into the room the other day and wanted to know what the racket was... to which I replied "I race'n honey and I gotta go fast!!!" lol
Still love'n it Derek. You've built a business to be proud of! :)

Bailey

I've got a major problem with my DSD sequential shifter. It was so well built that I had to build a new rig for it. lol
Now I can punch it as hard as I want without fear of breaking my rig. :)

Hubby came into the room the other day and wanted to know what the racket was... to which I replied "I race'n honey and I gotta go fast!!!" lol
Still love'n it Derek. You've built a business to be proud of! :)

Bailey

You're the best, lopsided!!! :) The shifter is a monster, there's no doubt there :) I enjoy building things that last!

d

Hi Derek,

Would be a nice feature of the short throw conversion, if it could be removed by the user and installed again. The reason why i'm saying that is, if the ther user want to shift between short and standard throw, it is like having two diffent shifters :-)

Btw, my shifters threaded rod is a bit too short I think, since it is hitting the cover plate.

Niclas

Hi Derek,

Would be a nice feature of the short throw conversion, if it could be removed by the user and installed again. The reason why i'm saying that is, if the ther user want to shift between short and standard throw, it is like having two diffent shifters :-)

Btw, my shifters threaded rod is a bit too short I think, since it is hitting the cover plate.

Niclas

To allow for both mechanisms in one would double the price. It's not possible. If there are issues with the top cover, it is not too difficult to remove the decorative cover should be become necessary in the extreme case. If there are any issues with the shifter we would replace it or repair it if needed.

If you wanted your shifter converted to the Short Throw version, I would waive the 65 dollar conversion fee and we'd do it free or charge. We'd just need to have the shifter back here to do it.

I'm also planning to most likely retire the current shifter and offer the short throw as the primary component of that type. This would most likely take place by December.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello Jesus,

Thank you for taking the time to publish your review. I used google to translate it :) We feel, as do all who have used the device, that the Short Throw is necessary change to make the shifter that much better for many. I'm certain you'll enjoy it.

BTW, the overhauling service we include with the conversion upgrades it to any new parts we're using since the original was built and replaces any parts needing to be replaced. That also includes fitting it with ultra heavy duty internal switches, ones that are rated for a million cycles. We expect it to give faithful service forever.

Hi Derek,

Can you include a nut like geteo288 got with my conversion? It is very hard to get a nut in inch unlike mm in my country ;-)

Niclas Løvgreen

Derek or fellow GTP members, can I ask you what the best method might be to hollow out those T500 wheel hubs so that a normal 54mm horn button will fit in there?

I figured a Dremel tool of sorts, but I fear that I might melt the plastic rather than cutting out a round shape. I already saw plums of smoke when I used the self tapping screws and my Bosch cordless drill. :lol: All ended up well though.

Hello Derek, I have another question: Will the Aftermerket-Wheel Modification void my G27-warranty?

Greetings,
Stefan

Derek or fellow GTP members, can I ask you what the best method might be to hollow out those T500 wheel hubs so that a normal 54mm horn button will fit in there?

I figured a Dremel tool of sorts, but I fear that I might melt the plastic rather than cutting out a round shape. I already saw plums of smoke when I used the self tapping screws and my Bosch cordless drill. :lol: All ended up well though.

The official DSD Policy is that we do not support, endorse, recommend or advise modifications to our components. Are there people who have used hand drills to make modifications to DSD T500 adapters? Yes, and they know that when they make a modification, they are responsible for the outcome.

Hello Derek, I have another question: Will the Aftermerket-Wheel Modification void my G27-warranty?

Greetings,
Stefan

We don't speak for Logitech. That question must be answered by them. My design philosophy is such that I will only offer components that, if used of course, allow the user to to return to his "Zero State" if he wanted to do something else. That means that in the case of components developed to attached to another maker's device, no modification to either the DSD component or the target one is needed to use - that preserves the target component's "Zero State", or, the like new (or as he started) condition.

However, Logitech controls their warranty. We can't interpret it for you. Are there people using the DSD Universal Adapter for G25/27 wheels? Yep...armies of them.

d

Thanks, Derek. I will keep that in mind.

Can I instead ask for an update/feature request for the product? Namely having you provide a cutout for horn buttons which are standard supplied with every retail after market wheel of at least Momo, Sparco and OMP.
To make it usable or not is up to the end-user of course and in that case will fall under modification, unless you make a hole the size of the PS/2 connector by design that is. However, I do think it would look nicer to be able to drop your supplied horn button in there (usable or not) than look at the empty space.

Also as a second request, if you have to overhaul the design already could you make it so that the boss also comes pre-drilled with the Nardi hole layout? With that you would increase the range of after market steering wheels to almost all available out there, with a few exceptions.

If only you would update the product to accommodate for a horn button, I will be sure to take one off of your hands. If not more, as I am thinking of getting a couple of different wheels down the line.

ps. I am not standing alone in my wish to be able to have my horn button in there, if only for looks. Please note that this customer has also made the same observation. Skip the video to 4:22.

Win a DSD Crew Chief for American Veteran's Day, 2013!

Hi All,

We're proud to offer up a DSD Crew Chief for American Veteran's Day, 2013. Thank you to all who have served!

HPIM1755.jpg

I think pretty much everyone knows what to do by now, but here's what you need to do: Hit up the DSD Site and follow the menu link to the DSD FTW! Page - you'll find it.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com

From there, fill out the form and your name will be automatically submitted into the drawing for this great device.

The winner's name will be announced here tomorrow, 12 NOV 2013 at 8pm EST (2000H-EST, 0000Z). The drawing is open to anyone from anywhere in the world. Everyone is welcome to "enlist" into this contest!

Thank you for allowing me to serve your sim racing needs!

GLA!

d

FS-Immed Ship-DSD Short Throw Pro-OMG WTF! 170 Shipped

(UPDATE - Both have been sold - Thank you)

Here are two DSD Short Throw Pro Sequential Shifters ready to find a new home. One has a straight Shaft and the other a Bent. Both are offered up for 170 each with free shipping anywhere in the world. That's as much as a 45+ savings. There are only two, and when they're gone, they're gone. These are the SHORT THROW VERSIONS and come complete with an integrated USB controller.

This is INSANE!

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/short-throw-pro-sequential.html

proaeqon.png

Here's a great vid from Wayne Sanderson showing the shifter in action:

[youtube]

(note that the top covers on your shifter will have a the CF type ABS and not the textured type as shown in the photo)

To claim one - or both - send the paypal directly to orders@derekspearedesigns.com - MAKE SURE to include your full and complete shipping address and indicate if you want the bent or the straight. If one is gone and you want the same type, the other will be shipped to you. I will do my best to update the thread, but if I can't everyone is on notice that the other shaft type may be shipped should the one you want be sold. They are ready to be shipped tomorrow morning.

There's one of each - get it while it's hot!

Thank you!

d

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back