Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
well, depends on what kind of swap... I mean, if it's sticking a 2zzge 192cv engine on a 2004 mr2, instead of the 140cv 1zzge, then why not. If it's sticking a turboshaft engine from a bell jet ranger helicopter to a renault twingo, well... still not on my book for the time being.
as for the drivetrain change, I must say no. it is unrealistic, as it would be impossible on most cars, complicated and useless on the rest of them.

Question would i be able to swap the engine from the 08 srt acr Which has 600 hp with the 06 srt coupe which only has 510hp .. plus the 08 sounds better then the 06

:nervous::nervous:

Motor swaps would be nice, but I'd more love an actual tuning system. Basic which auto tunes and an advanced system in which I can actually tuning engine based on air load, throttle position and timing vs RPM vs air mass.

That way your car is unique.

Tuning tire pressure would also be nice. Under-inflated, properly-inflated and over-inflated tires react very differently and I am surprised I havent seen the option to change it.

well, depends on what kind of swap... I mean, if it's sticking a 2zzge 192cv engine on a 2004 mr2, instead of the 140cv 1zzge, then why not. If it's sticking a turboshaft engine from a bell jet ranger helicopter to a renault twingo, well... still not on my book for the time being.
as for the drivetrain change, I must say no. it is unrealistic, as it would be impossible on most cars, complicated and useless on the rest of them.

I wouldn' say impossible. It just requires a redesign of the vehicle. Cutting, welding and fabrication to fit the parts. Like I said, anything is possible, why limit it in a game.

@Chikane - Haven't people done that in reality already?

First off, I've never played Forza. I voted "no" because GT is called the Driving Simulator and not the Tuning Simulator.
I appreciate everything GT offers as for basic engine, turbo and body/suspension tuning in the game right now. I want to test drive cars.
I know engine swaps happen in real life but the idea of GT simulating putting a 2jz in a Skyline seems a tad arcade'ish.

side note-
The one thing I'd like to see added to GT is a rev limited, like the Bee-R. Some cars you'd like to shift slightly before red line. Plus, Subaru's sound and look evil when growling and throwing flames with rev limiter set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9IW_b-rIaA

No, no, no 1000 x no.

A Ferrari has a Ferrari engine that's what makes it a Ferrari. I don't want to see a mini with a Ferrari engine. Not only is it ridiculous that anyone would do such a thing but it's impossible to model the physics.

Swapping engines and drive-trains while keeping the same chassis has complicated repercussions that no sim can handle.

I'm not really down for engine swaps in a video game. The whole draw of doing an engine swap(to me) is the wrench work that was put in to get the swap accomplished. In a video game that aspect is lost, you just press a button and supposedly have a new engine.

Now if they were to implement some type system to where one would have to put in some type of work or take some type of loss(e.g. It takes a few days for the swap to be completed or some type of garage mini game where you had to work on the engine for a certain amount of time), it could work.

No, no, no 1000 x no.

A Ferrari has a Ferrari engine that's what makes it a Ferrari. I don't want to see a mini with a Ferrari engine. Not only is it ridiculous that anyone would do such a thing but it's impossible to model the physics.

Swapping engines and drive-trains while keeping the same chassis has complicated repercussions that no sim can handle.

This. If anyone remembers in the original Gran Turismo on PS1 you could use a game shark and do this kind of swapping. You could make the FTO LM a god car, a RM'ed mr2 go over 300mph on the test track.
Specifically I had a little tvr with Viper wheels and a (mitsu) GTO twin turbo engine that was a blast.......but totally unrealistic and silly.

(ok I'm done spamming)

Sure I'd love to see engine and driveline swaps but I can't see how it can be done currently and provide realistic physics with so many cars available, I wouldn't want them unless the physics after the mods were realistic. If it were possible it would have to be realistic real world swaps, I don't think that keeping it in the family is a great idea, a lot of popular swaps are interbred.

The problem I see with allowing this is the racing, since racing is a large part of GT if you were allowed to do real world swaps there should also be realistic race classes with realistic restrictions. For example we have club level racing in Australia called Improved Production, the max engine size in that class is 6l and interbreeding is not allowed, the rules have different weight breaks for the <2l class and <6l class as well as different tyre limits, in addition smaller engines can be boosted in combination with a restrictor and run in the 6l class. That allows both classes to run together and achieve reasonable parity. The same could be achieved in GT5 using a combination of class rules and PP and I think that GT5 should have this regardless.

If anyone remembers in the original Gran Turismo on PS1 you could use a game shark and do this kind of swapping. You could make the FTO LM a god car, a RM'ed mr2 go over 300mph on the test track.

Just like in real life. I don't get why people think realistic tuning means you can only put a better exhaust on your car. People with time and money can do just about anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU8zbLdUqAQ&feature=related

Just like in real life:
VW_Rear_Dr_Open1_PScopy.jpg

jet-beetle.jpg

(don't get my wrong, I'd love to have engine swapping in GT5)

There are many threads about the hybrid or hacked cars that are currently circulating GTPlanet, so if the mods think this is too much of a duplicate then delete it by all means.

Anyway, I'd like to start a thread filled with realistic engine and drivetrain swaps that, if they feel like it, the modders could create to share around 👍 This is NOT a thread for extremely high horsepower Civics/ X1's etc.

So some that I would like to see are
1. Lamborghini Gallardo Balboni replica (with MR drivetrain)
2. Porsche (RUF) engined VW Camper
3. RWD Dodge SRT4
4. 4WD MINI Countryman (although as this is DLC I'm not sure it is shareable)
-. In case the countryman isn't shareable, a 4WD MINI would do.
5. RWD Mini Cooper 1.3 with Fireblade Engine
6. And the last one would be a V8 powered Caterham

1.) Chrysler 300C with Challenger SRT8 6.1L Hemi

2.) Dodge Ram Laramie with Viper SRT ACR 8.4L V10 Engine.

3.) Mercedes C63 AMG with Pagani Zonda R AMG V12.

So many people have wanted engine + drivetrain swaps since GT's release.

Thats all I (and a number of other users) are enjoying about the hybrid cars.

The 600-700bhp S13, ae86 and gt86 are fantastic, a great use of the tools that would have been great to have from launch.

Anyway, I'd like to start a thread filled with realistic engine and drivetrain swaps

I think that's something that everyone wants to see, though "realistic" is very often misunderstood.

It doesn't mean that small cars magically can't have 500 hp engines

The procedure of creating such vehicles is not what makes it 'unrealistic'. IRL anything is possible.

Every 2nd guy you meet driving around with these, out of control and smashing into anything, however is unrealistic!

I'm glad a thread like this exists. I haven't thought those hybrids where of any actual sense, but this changes my opinion a bit.

Hybrids seem to become a common thing now it seems, a well ...wth.

RWD Opel Vectra w LS1 engine or Astra DTM eng.
MR Tigra w Speedster Turbo eng.
S13 with RB26DETT swap is very very fun!
^good idea! 👍

BMW 330i w M3 E92 eng

I really don&#8217;t understand why this thread was started.
Now the new big thing that is going on is to hybrid a car, by putting great amounts of power or changing the drive line or to see what can be done, this started in Gran Turismo 2 and is still goes on. Though it has started in GT5 people want real driveline and motor swaps or correct numbers for the current real world race cars that are within GT5. This is just a fad, what happened to overly tuning the cars then de-tuning them to meet class?

Back