Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
I really don’t understand why this thread was started.
Now the new big thing that is going on is to hybrid a car, by putting great amounts of power or changing the drive line or to see what can be done, this started in Gran Turismo 2 and is still goes on. Though it has started in GT5 people want real driveline and motor swaps or correct numbers for the current real world race cars that are within GT5. This is just a fad, what happened to overly tuning the cars then de-tuning them to meet class?

Because we are not all five, and would like to put modding towards usable, fun cars, not 8,000bhp rocket ships.

I'd be forever grateful if someone could recreate my car:

That would be a Lotus Elise '96 with the wheels and driving lights from the Lotus Elise '96 RM, Sports Air Filter, Sports Exhaust, Sports Exhaust Manifold, Sports Cat, Twin Plate Clutch, Semi-Racing Flywheel, the K20A Engine, Transmission and LSD from a Honda Integra DC5 Type R '04, tuned to approximately 247 BHP (217 WHP at 7750 - 8700 RPM), adjustable suspension, I have semi-slick road tyres (a lot wider than those on the Lotus Elise '96 in GT5) which I think correspond to Sports Hard, weight approximately 720KG.

Unfortunately I can't do the things above in Bold, I can't even match the transmission ratios in the Elise '96 to that of the Honda because it only has 5 Gears.

Pictures and build details of my car to try and recreate here:

http://www.hipowerracing.com/2012/07/deans-k20a-lotus-conversion/

http://www.hipowerracing.com/2012/12/hi-power-racings-k20a-lotus-photoshoot/

See if you can match the engine sound to the real thing here:

(First track day after the engine swap so I'm driving slow)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can do this, let me practice when I can't drive for real, or point me in the right direction to do it myself!

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind an E92 M3 with the E46 3.2 or even the E90 330i with the same engine and M3 wheels.

Honestly I'd like to see a 69 Camaro with a 427, in copo fashion or an old school LS swapped GM muscle car.

Flaco13
MR Tigra w Speedster Turbo eng.
Awesome!

Or a FF tigra with vectra v6 motor..!!!
------------------ ---------------------------------------------

I give anything for this!!
If anybody user from GTP can do this please send me p.m.
I give money for those tigra!

Awesome!

Or a FF tigra with vectra v6 motor..!!!
------------------ ---------------------------------------------

I give anything for this!!
If anybody user from GTP can do this please send me p.m.
I give money for those tigra!

Well I don't know if the 3.2 V6 is a good idea, imagine the weight distribution, lol 70 - 30? IRL would it even fit under the Tigra hood?

But make it AWD and play with ballast/balance and I'd want one too :)

K20A in Hachi Roku, F20C in Hachi Roku, K20A in EG6, K20A in EK9, Ford 4.6L in MX-5, ZR1 6.2L in GNX with manual trans, SR20 in MX-5, W12 in Golf IV, M5 V10 in Volvo 240 wagon.

Well I don't know if the 3.2 V6 is a good idea, imagine the weight distribution, lol 70 - 30? IRL would it even fit under the Tigra hood?

But make it AWD and play with ballast/balance and I'd want one too :)

yes the weight balance is a problem...
i like it all ff awd mr
but a AWD or mr tigra is not a tigra! ;)
take a look on
"http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=es&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmundotigra.blogspot.com%2F&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0="

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafTsWWurOA

A guy who worked with my dad put a Jaguar XK120 engine in an Austin A40 Somerset. The gear box was a long way into the car, so much so that he practically had his hand on the back seat to change gear. It was blisteringly fast in a straight line but the 1950s Austins suspension made handling ...err... interesting.

I'd like to see intra manufacturer swaps and maybe a handful of popular swaps I.E. 5.0 for in a Miata or as I said before and LS1 in to anything.

I would like this however there needs to be plenty of options. The issue with engine swaps is that if one engine is better to use then others, everybody will complete the same swap. I think they need several engines, which provide different outputs, such as more power or more torque, each engine then could have specific modified parts such as superchargers, Turbos or have not major upgrades instead being NA.

I also think they need to be be based on manufacturers for example:

Taking an engine from a fiat 500 R "1972" and placing it in a fiat 500 F "1968" or similarly using a Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00 engine or the engine of the new 500 in the old F 1968.

Drive train swaps are pointless as there would be no need. People would be using AWD civics for rallying. This would take out the point of collecting different cars for racing, you could effectively have a one car garage.

Drive train swaps are pointless as there would be no need for different A spec events, people would be using AWD civics for rallying. This would take out the point of collecting different cars for racing.
So? Even if PD did it wrong and didn't take into account the performance advantages (and disadvantages) of converting cars to AWD as a matter of course, what difference does it make if people start using the same cars? Like people don't already do that once they find a car that they like?

I really don’t understand why this thread was started.
Now the new big thing that is going on is to hybrid a car, by putting great amounts of power or changing the drive line or to see what can be done, this started in Gran Turismo 2 and is still goes on. Though it has started in GT5 people want real driveline and motor swaps or correct numbers for the current real world race cars that are within GT5. This is just a fad, what happened to overly tuning the cars then de-tuning them to meet class?

Every thread now, then?

:lol:

So? Even if PD did it wrong and didn't take into account the performance advantages (and disadvantages) of converting cars to AWD as a matter of course, what difference does it make if people start using the same cars? Like people don't already do that once they find a car that they like?

Every thread now, then?

:lol:

This is true, what I mean is racing will be less varied . Imagine drag racing where everybody uses AWD like they do on Forza.

That's because Forza's drag racing isn't really that good as AWD provides more grip in drag races than it should.

That Alfa Rivals thing this month has a good example of it. The GTA converted to AWD with the extremely narrow stock tires all around will destroy a RWD version of the car of similar power off the line with much wider drag radials in the back, and you can't remotely overcome the deficit of the launch even though there is less weight.

Last edited:
That's because Forza's drag racing isn't really that good as AWD provides more grip in drag races than it should.

That Alfa Rivals thing this month has a good example of it. The GTA converted to AWD with the extremely narrow stock tires all around will destroy a RWD version of the car of similar power off the line with much wider drag radials in the back, and you can't remotely overcome the defecit of the launch even though there is less weight.

I think if is well implemented then I suppose it would be good, if each drive train had certain good and bad points then, I would love to see it in the game. To be honest though I have doughs whether this will be added to the game.

on the note of drivetrain swaps I think those should be limited to If the cars has a variant with a drivetrain that is different (for example: Skyline GT-S getting the GT-R's AWD)

Ok, I understand you are a purist concerning the Tigra, but for the sake of better handling and performance I would take advantage of the possibility for a change of drivetrain any day.:)

p.s. maybe we should continue this on my Opel thread. Don't want to annoy the Hachiroku and Silvia lovers over here.:dopey: . . . :scared:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back