F1 2010F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter MS7XWDC
  • 2,099 comments
Once again I have to wonder if you think GT5 is crap as its 30fps also..
Think PD have been wasting their time too?

The codemasters games, Need For Speed and system 3's are really the only widely produced racing games that run at 30fps. Every other arcade sim runs at 60fps.

The codemasters games, Need For Speed and system 3's are really the only widely produced racing games that run at 30fps. Every other arcade sim runs at 60fps.

Actually I'm pretty sure you'll find GT5 is going to be 30fps.
I found that out somewhere on GTP as they were moaning it wasnt 60.
I think its in the GT5 general discussion thread.
Also you mentioned about F1 2010 not having a demo, same goes for GT5.
I can see where you are coming from though worrying that F1 2010 isnt going to be great.
I have the same worries when it comes to the physics. I hope its nothing like Grid or Toca series games.

Got some spare money this month, I'll be pre-ordering this game on Steam this week. If any of you is getting the PC version feel free to add me on Steam and GFWL so we can do some online racing. My Steam profile is in my sig and my GFWL username is livemusic1981.

I really don't get why you guys are arguing about a rather meaningless thing. Perhaps it's just because I've been playing games since I was little and Mario was made up of blocks but graphics and fps don't mean much to me, especially if the actual game isn't good. Perhaps it's because I don't pick through everything with a fine tooth comb, but a game seems the same at 30fps as it does at 60fps, the only time I really notice is if there is a sudden change and as long as the cars and tracks look like their real life counterparts I don't give a crap whether or not it's in 1080p.

Basically, relax and have fun, which is what video games were made for in the first part.

Sorry, I was just quoting what I have read about GT5 in this forum.
To be honest, I probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference between 30/60fps.
The arguing about graphics reminds me of the old days.. Back in the Jaguar times. Graphics mean nothing if the game is pathetic. Graphics are nice to look at but I'd rather a developer concentrate on gameplay which is what I think Codemasters try to do by adding these little things like the media and stuff. I'm just worried about the physics of the game. I know its not going to be ultra simmy as they've already stated I just hope its not like Toca/Grid etc.

Can you list those PS3/360 console arcade sim 60fps games?

Grid
Dirt 1
Dirt 2
Need for speed shift
Ferrari challenge
Super car challenge
Race pro
PGR4
F1CE
F12010
Superstars v8

All run at 30fps

I can only think of GT and Forza running 60fps. Ridge racer and Sega rally and Burnout Revenge (I think) run at 60fps but what games are you on about?

And I prefer 60fps games but you need a PC really. This gen of console games are mostly 30fps.

Interesting snippits from the manual:
The RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT screen shows you which car upgrades you have unlocked and supplies a little information about the impact each upgrade has on the car. Certain upgrades become available while progressing through the season, whereas others will require you to successfully complete R&D Objectives set by your Race Engineer. Make sure to check in with him during Practice Sessions. If you are a Number 1 driver, you can also set your upgrade path
once per season within this screen.

OBJECTIVES
Within a 3 year Career, your primary goal is to win at least one FIA FORMULA ONE DRIVERS’ WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP; with longer Careers the number of Drivers’ Championships you are expected to win will increase. If you manage to win three or more Drivers’ Championships, you will be heralded as a Legend.

So apparently, regardless what team you start with via the R&D feature they all have the potential to become WDC capable cars?! And only within 3 years. Interesting if true.

Your car will take no damage during Time Trial, yet Flashbacks are available, however using one will invalidate the current lap. You will also be given the benefit of a fully rubbered in track and a car that’s ready to deliver from the start. Time Trials can be run in either dry or wet conditions and separate Leaderboards exist to reflect this.

Good to know LB times don't allow for the use of "rewind."

TIME TRIAL PARTY
Time Trial Party enables you to compete against a group of friends on a single console, with a single controller. Simply enter the mode, select the weather settings, number of players and attempts on each track, then compete amongst yourselves to take the fastest lap.

Kinda cool.

CREATE SESSION
Create Session allows you to create an Online Session based upon your own specific criteria. Upon entering the Create Session menu, you will be presented with a set of options which allow you to alter all aspects of the session. These range from setting how many players you want within your session to whether or not players joining the session may use any driving assists.

Excellent.

Last edited:
I think I recall reading with the career, that if you do a 3 year career you get top teams offering you a place immediately, mid season teams in a 5 season career and the 3 bottom teams in a 7 season career. But it is as you say, still possible to develop a bottom car to compete quite well over a 7 season career. It sounds fantastic that it wont be the same all the time.

Good to know LB times don't allow for the use of "rewind."
Kinda cool.

I'm not current on every game out there but the best LB system I have seen (by far) is the one in Prologue/GT5. Not just the slick packaging, but the full featured things like being able to download, view, and get driver info from the same screen ..and the way fast laps are automatically updated into the leaderboards. And how ghosts can be saved and viewed at any time. Its all very very cool (compared to F1CE, for example, which is a joke. Dirt2 is crap because of cheats and glitch driving.)
Anyway we shall see, but I hope Codemasters can come close to equaling what Polyphony have done. Even coming close would be great.

..pre ordered GT5 / Collectors today :)
After a monsterous non-stop 5 week wall of driving of F1 10, GT5 might seem a bit tame in some areas, no? Aint no way a street car of ANY kind is coming close to Formula One.

Not even close.

Yeah, I preordered F1 2010 on Monday. I'll report back telling everyone about it. Or I'll just link you to the review. I can't wait for it's release to do the career mode(HRT FTW) and the GTP F1 WC.

Can you list those PS3/360 console arcade sim 60fps games?

Grid
Dirt 1
Dirt 2
Need for speed shift
Ferrari challenge
Super car challenge
Race pro
PGR4
F1CE
F12010
Superstars v8

All run at 30fps

I can only think of GT and Forza running 60fps. Ridge racer and Sega rally and Burnout Revenge (I think) run at 60fps but what games are you on about?

And I prefer 60fps games but you need a PC really. This gen of console games are mostly 30fps.

GT5
Forza 3
Moto GP 09/10
F1 Championship edition 'ran at 60fps'
GT5 p
Ridge Racer
Wipe out HD.

Thought Race Pro and PGR ran at 60 but I guess not. Either way, take out System 3 and there is a striking resemblance between the games you mentioned. They're all arcade! I take reference from Dave Kaemmer when he talks about frame rate and the importance in racing games. 45-50 is the absolute minimum these games should be playing otherwise the input time between the controller and screen is massive.

Something alot of people don't know is that neither Michael Schumacher or Kimi Raikkonen can properly use simulators. They get motion sickness because their brain expects the car to respond on screen like it does in real life, but there is that delay. Again back to Dave Kaemmer he said that he can't use anything under 100 FPS because he too feels the symptoms of motion sickness.

I'm going to choose seven year career, I like the whole idea of starting from the bottom and slowly working my way up, I'll just need to find the time to actually do this :).

Something alot of people don't know is that neither Michael Schumacher or Kimi Raikkonen can properly use simulators. They get motion sickness because their brain expects the car to respond on screen like it does in real life, but there is that delay.

The framerate question is not strictly relevant when the purpose of the game is to entertain. What a real life racer and legend like Shumacher goes through when using a simulator is unimportant. Marchi, you have a dedicated streak in you that keeps banging your head against the compromises necessary in the marketplace. Ideally, of course, framerates would be sky high. And just as ideally the games would look spectacular, sound amazing, etc.etc.etc. Ideally. Ideally. Ideally.

You know Marchi, you should -for your own education- buy a cheap motorcycle and do some track days. Because the way you keep harping on about arcade games it seems clear you DESPERATELY NEED a dose of reality. Really! I dont want you to get hurt or anything, but you need to experience something real and stop pussy-footing around. Stop making a fuss about games falling short and DO something. Track days are awesome, by the way! The feeling of actually being on a track and going fast is totally addicting. Michael Shumacher races motorcycles these days! Its a cool thing to do.

Seriously.. do a track day. It will snap you out of this funk of relying on game publishers to do everything for you and then hating them for falling short. I'm not trying to lecture you. But track days ROCK (and even YOU cant question the 'reality' of them.) :)

Last edited:
Something alot of people don't know is that neither Michael Schumacher or Kimi Raikkonen can properly use simulators. They get motion sickness because their brain expects the car to respond on screen like it does in real life, but there is that delay. Again back to Dave Kaemmer he said that he can't use anything under 100 FPS because he too feels the symptoms of motion sickness.

What does that have to do with anything? There are pilots who can't play MFS without getting motion sickness, it means absolutely nothing other than those pilots can't play the simulator.

And as far as Kaemmer, notice one thing about all his games, while great physics wise, they are all lacking in the graphics department. If I had the choice I would rather have great graphics and 30fps than bad graphics and 60fps.

Honestly though, you have still yet to answer my question as to why fps matter so much.

The framerate question is not strictly relevant when the purpose of the game is to entertain. What a real life racer and legend like Shumacher goes through when using a simulator is unimportant. Marchi, you have a dedicated streak in you that keeps banging your head against the compromises necessary in the marketplace. Ideally, of course, framerates would be sky high. And just as ideally the games would look spectacular, sound amazing, etc.etc.etc. Ideally. Ideally. Ideally.

You know Marchi, you should -for your own education- buy a cheap motorcycle and do some track days. Because the way you keep harping on about arcade games it seems clear you DESPERATELY NEED a dose of reality. Really! I dont want you to get hurt or anything, but you need to experience something real and stop pussy-footing around. Stop making a fuss about games falling short and DO something. Track days are awesome, by the way! The feeling of actually being on a track and going fast is totally addicting. Michael Shumacher races motorcycles these days! Its a cool thing to do.

Seriously.. do a track day. It will snap you out of this funk of relying on game publishers to do everything for you and then hating them for falling short. I'm not trying to lecture you. But track days ROCK (and even YOU cant question the 'reality' of them.) :)

I ride motorcross actually :)

What does that have to do with anything? There are pilots who can't play MFS without getting motion sickness, it means absolutely nothing other than those pilots can't play the simulator.

And as far as Kaemmer, notice one thing about all his games, while great physics wise, they are all lacking in the graphics department. If I had the choice I would rather have great graphics and 30fps than bad graphics and 60fps.

Honestly though, you have still yet to answer my question as to why fps matter so much.

Because of the delay between controller input and display. Games like GT5, Live for Speed, iRacing, RFactor, Forza etc, run at 60fps, because in a car you travel at such high speeds that feedback needs to happen alot faster. You can get away with it in games like Red Dead or GTA for example because most of those games are stop start. Games like Call of duty run at 60fps for the same reason.

Frame rate speed is crucial to allow the driver, the rider etc, to judge where to put the car. Look at the best sim racers and most of them have monster computers so that they can run at the optimum frame rate. If your computer is telling you something a milli second earlier it can make all the difference.
If its at 60FPS thats twice the data coming at you a second.

Over the course of a lap of Spa thats 3150 more frames per lap.

Because of the delay between controller input and display. Games like GT5, Live for Speed, iRacing, RFactor, Forza etc, run at 60fps, because in a car you travel at such high speeds that feedback needs to happen alot faster. You can get away with it in games like Red Dead or GTA for example because most of those games are stop start. Games like Call of duty run at 60fps for the same reason.

More/less fps doesn't change the game itself though, it just makes the actions smoother, they don't happen any faster or slower.

Take this example, the block does the same motion in each example, it does the same amount of rotations and takes the same time to do the complete bounce. The only difference is that they are slightly smoother for each fps increase. there is no new information in the 60fps example than the 30 or the 15fps examples.

Frame rate speed is crucial to allow the driver, the rider etc, to judge where to put the car. Look at the best sim racers and most of them have monster computers so that they can run at the optimum frame rate.

Considering LCD monitors are usually locked at 60fps those "monster computers" are useless as far as fps.

If your computer is telling you something a milli second earlier it can make all the difference.

It really depends on your reaction time, unless it's amazingly fast it won't affect anything.

If its at 60FPS thats twice the data coming at you a second.

Over the course of a lap of Spa thats 3150 more frames per lap.

Not really, it's just makes the information run a tad more smooth, the information itself never changes.

FPS arguments are stupid. Its only noticable when it drops from 60 to 30 within the game. If the game starts at and constantly runs at 30fps regardless of on screen detail then it is not noticable.

detail>smoothness

I would rather dive into the pits in this game, and see 200 people running out to recieve their cars (yes, 200, fact) at 30fps instead of seeing perhaps half that maybe less with less detail running at 60fps.

Again back to Dave Kaemmer he said that he can't use anything under 100 FPS because he too feels the symptoms of motion sickness.
Who the hell is Dave Kaemmer and why does his inability to control the contents of his stomach when playing a game at a freakishly-high framerate have any bearing on my gameplay experience?

Who the hell is Dave Kaemmer and why does his inability to control the contents of his stomach when playing a game at a freakishly-high framerate have any bearing on my gameplay experience?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave Kaemmer is probably the most important developer in Sim Racing history. He's the American Kazanori Yamauchi if you will. He's been the designers onfgames like Grand Prix Legends, Nascar 2003 and iRacing. I'd say its fair enough to assume he knows just a bit more about racing games then most.

More/less fps doesn't change the game itself though, it just makes the actions smoother, they don't happen any faster or slower.

Take this example, the block does the same motion in each example, it does the same amount of rotations and takes the same time to do the complete bounce. The only difference is that they are slightly smoother for each fps increase. there is no new information in the 60fps example than the 30 or the 15fps examples.

Well actually there is.

think of it like this

I I I I I I I I I I I 30fps
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 60fps
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

There is more data being shown, it doesn't change, but with a lower FPS you skip over more information. Its the reason why these games run at 30FPS. You can jam alot more information in because the picture is not being refreshed as often. Its why developers look at Gran Turismo and admire the way it can produce the graphics that it does, while remaining at an almost seamless 30fps.

You can sit there and tell me that it makes no difference, but it does.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave Kaemmer is probably the most important developer in Sim Racing history. He's the American Kazanori Yamauchi if you will. He's been the designers onfgames like Grand Prix Legends, Nascar 2003 and iRacing. I'd say its fair enough to assume he knows just a bit more about racing games then most.

But the fact that he gets ill if he looks at a moving image at less than 100 fps has absolutely no bearing on this discussion. What about the millions around the world who don't?

But the fact that he gets ill if he looks at a moving image at less than 100 fps has absolutely no bearing on this discussion. What about the millions around the world who don't?

I should have clarified, that he wasn't talking just about himself in general in terms of need but most. The recommended settings for iRacing and the like at 80 to 100 fps to achieve the best racing experience. While you can race at lower levels, the delay is less obvious as it is at 30 FPS.

I should have clarified, that he wasn't talking just about himself in general in terms of need but most. The recommended settings for iRacing and the like at 80 to 100 fps to achieve the best racing experience. While you can race at lower levels, the delay is less obvious as it is at 30 FPS.

And what about the fact that the same millions of people play, enjoy and become very good at the games running at 30fps mentioned above? 30 fps is perfectly acceptable and I feel very sorry for you if your going to let that get in the way of your gaming. How would you feel if PD turned round tomorrow and said, 'sorry guys, we've had to drop the game to 30fps to include all we wanted.' Would you suddenly lambast GT5 and only rent it?

As I suspected, there's hardly any console driving games this gen running at 60fps, so you don't really have a complaint.

Deal with console limitations, devs time and budgets, multiplatform engines or build a budget PC to play the likes of Dirt 2 at 1920x 60fps.

Last edited:
And what about the fact that the same millions of people play, enjoy and become very good at the games running at 30fps mentioned above? 30 fps is perfectly acceptable and I feel very sorry for you if your going to let that get in the way of your gaming. How would you feel if PD turned round tomorrow and said, 'sorry guys, we've had to drop the game to 30fps to include all we wanted.' Would you suddenly lambast GT5 and only rent it?

If you think that the frame rate is all that I have an issue with then open your eyes. It was just one of a couple of issues I have a problem with.

Back