Gran Turismo 5 Full Game Footage/Images

• Thread starter Sam48
  • 8,194 comments
Not sure who you're face palming, but tires do have a lot to do with braking. If the brakes exert enough force to overpower the tires, it doesn't matter how much bigger you make the brakes, they won't stop any better.

The benefit of large brakes is primarily the ability to repeatedly exert maximum braking force, without fade. As far as I know GT5 doesn't simulate brake fade (it really should though)

Both of you are right (both being you and PSZeta) but look what you say, and look what he says. I know tires have a lot to do with practically everything concerning the performance of a car as it's the only physical medium between the chassis and the surface beneath it.

There is some truth to that. Assuming that stock brakes are not fading, they will stop a car as quickly as more powerful brakes.

Upgraded brakes only prove themselves when braking repeatedly from high speeds.
Really? I thought I heard Roush Mustang brakes can stop in half the distance as normal Mustang. I would think it's the brake ability to turn car energy into heat as fast as possible than the tires. Maybe I'm mistaken.

The track disappearing is only a replay bug, Tekken90 hasn't installed the game on his HDD which appears to cause a few different loading bugs.

Really? I thought I heard Roush Mustang brakes can stop in half the distance as normal Mustang. I would think it's the brake ability to turn car energy into heat as fast as possible than the tires. Maybe I'm mistaken.

A quick search on google shows a Mustang GT braking 70-0 in 169ft, whereas the 2010 Roush 427R manages the feat in 155ft, not what I'd call half the distance.

Keep in mind they are likely not wearing the same tires, weight plays a factor, the ABS programming associated with the brakes etc. etc.

The track disappearing is only a replay bug, Tekken90 hasn't installed the game on his HDD which appears to cause a few different loading bugs.

The 10GB install is a progressive install. You won't put it in the PS3 and have to install all 10GB. The required space is only about 256MB or whatever. If you decide to leave the installation on, then everytime you do a race or enter a menu, then the game will install that information on your HDD. This is seen in the "Standard car GT Auto" video.

I would assume, like you said, that if the track information is installed on the HDD, you might not have the issue, but if so, there will probably be a patch shortly to fix it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if PD is already working on the solution.

With the same tires, same brake balance, same weight, they'll stop in approximately the same distance.

Even stock brakes are powerful enough to lock the tires up on dry pavement (thus the need for ABS), and at that point, higher performance brakes will do nothing for you... if you're only stopping once. The things that will affect stopping distance are car weight, weight on each tire and the braking force being applied to each tire.

The main advantages to larger brakes are heat dissipation and fade resistance.

Last edited:
With the same tires, same brake balance, same weight, they'll stop in approximately the same distance.

Even stock brakes are powerful enough to lock the tires up on dry pavement (thus the need for ABS), and at that point, higher performance brakes will do nothing for you... if you're only stopping once. The things that will affect stopping distance are car weight, weight on each tire and the braking force being applied to each tire.

The main advantages to larger brakes are heat dissipation and fade resistance.
I wouldn't think locking up brakes is the same as the rate which brakes are absorbing energy thus slowing down the car. Locking up brakes is braking with your tires instead of brake pads. From my understanding tires braking doesn't slow the car down as fast as the brake pads braking. The few time I lock up brakes it seem to increase the braking distance.

exactly. the fastest time set in qualifying with the COT was a week and a half ago at texas, 196 MPH not in a draft by elliot sadler. in a two-car draft on talladega (optimum speed conditions, despite the restrictor plates), the cars would hit about 205-210 MPH. without the restrictor plates, they'd probably hit about 215-220 at top end, but they'd never be able to do that drafting with any sort of gap at anything short of talladega or bristol

but they'd never be able to do that drafting with any sort of gap at anything short of talladega or bristol

Say what BristolLook at where I'm from The fastest thing ever went arould Bristol was Sammy Swindell with a lap time of 13.86 sec:nervous: which adds up to 138.442mph:scared: I think you wanted to type in Daytona.:guilty:

but they'd never be able to do that drafting with any sort of gap at anything short of talladega or bristol

Say what BristolLook at where I'm from The fastest thing ever went arould Bristol was Sammy Swindell with a lap time of 13.86 sec:nervous: which adds up to 138.442mph:scared: I think you wanted to type in Daytona.:guilty:

yeah, I meant daytona. my bad.

edit: I just noticed your name, internet high five for late 60s/early 70s entry level sports cars!

Many older brake systems weren't as powerful as modern ones.
On the other hand, if modern brake systems typically have enough power to always lock up tires (or make the ABS engage) on dry pavement, that's with street tires, putting aside fading after repeated strong brakings.
Semi-slick or racing slick tires increase grip considerably over what standard brakes can cope up with, both in resistance and stopping power. That's where improved and more powerful brakes are a necessity.

That the brakes compartment appears to have been neglected in GT5, makes me wonder about how correctly their behavior is simulated.

Though the more brake power you have the faster you can lock the wheels, or reach optimal braking before losing grip. Tenths of a second can be the difference, probably wouldn't matter at my skill level, but what about a professional?

There is some truth to that. Assuming that stock brakes are not fading, they will stop a car as quickly as more powerful brakes.

Upgraded brakes only prove themselves when braking repeatedly from high speeds.

100% correct... 👍👍

The limit of how much -g-force a car can make(while braking)is mainly (yes mainly!!)because of the grip of the tyres...tyres have a limit,so bigger/more powerfull brakes do not make any difference!!...fading is the main issue,thats why racecars and sport cars have more powerfull brakes because they have to endure longer and more energetic braking forces for longer times and repeditally during race laps...

spy.

Last edited:
No new screens from RDK? Ah well, maybe later on.

That Nurburgring video from Takken90 was sweet! I really can't wait for this game now and i still can't even pre-order it.:(

Though the more brake power you have the faster you can lock the wheels, or reach optimal braking before losing grip. Tenths of a second can be the difference, probably wouldn't matter at my skill level, but what about a professional?

At an amateur level, improving brakes is usually done to decrease fading. Most standard brake systems (not only rotors and pads, but also brake liquid, pump and tubes) simply aren't resilent enough to last more than three or four consecutive laps at full speed on a race track without having their stopping distance dangerously progressively increased. This is true especially for cars not made or not thought for occasional race track use.

On higher levels, when semi-slick or slick tires are used, putting aside brake fading, grip exceeds the stopping power offered by standard brakes. That is where in addition to prevent fading, the braking system must also be more powerful.

The problem with racing brake systems (mainly pads) is that they have a definite operating temperature, under which they either work poorly or don't work at all. In short, they have to be run constantly hard to properly brake (a parallel with wings: the faster you go, the more downforce they will offer).

See? Again, brakes are a (relatively) complex matter, and seeing so many limited options (only balance) and no upgrade parts offered at the starts makes me worry a lot about their physics in the game.

In real life, on a race track brakes are the most critical component that you absolutely have to upgrade before anything else, if you're determined to to more than a few consecutive laps at full speed. GT (and most probably GT5 too, but it has to be tested) appears to ignore this problem.

Last edited:
circuitdelasarthe20092.jpg

Friend pointed it out. Those road textures arent too great :\

fantastic car model though :P

any confirmation on full G27 compatibility yet?

It's not an official wheel. So, we will not see it listed in the menu.

However, that won't prevent compatibility. The lights and paddles worked perfectly on the TT Demo. However, no one could test the clutch on the TT Demo, because it is considered an "unfair advantage" in Time Trials.

But I am definitely hoping for the ability to turn the clutch on permanently. However, it does work in Prologue, you just have to press triangle at the beginning of the race to turn it on.

It's not an official wheel. So, we will not see it listed in the menu.

However, that won't prevent compatibility. The lights and paddles worked perfectly on the TT Demo. However, no one could test the clutch on the TT Demo, because it is considered an "unfair advantage" in Time Trials.

But I am definitely hoping for the ability to turn the clutch on permanently. However, it does work in Prologue, you just have to press triangle at the beginning of the race to turn it on.

As long as we can use the paddles I'll be happy.

Everything just looks terrible. So so terrible.

Clearly PD has wasted their 6 years making this instead of the game I created in my head.

I will NOT be purchasing this however I WILL be posting about it.

Back