Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,244 comments
I can finally finish this!
qJb7UIg.jpg

With the NSX introduced and if we disregard some aero differences, I think it's possible to recreate the 1999-2001 seasons, right?
The pic from @A_Higher_Place in the previous page is super useful!

For anyone interested, there's a Super GT site with an archive of all races since 1997, with some photos here and there: https://supergt.net/archive/classic/supergt.net/supergt/history/jgtc_indexen.htm

Nice that there's more countries to pick for drivers, my original WEC grid was going to have some from those. Maybe when I start a new Championship.

Last edited:
And it was 1999 at my home this evening. :D

Sometimes adding just one car can change everything.
Right?! Share a video if you can! Would love to see it.

Now PD, please give us a bigger grid so I can complete the GT500s and add some GT300s!

1999 300km Suzuka race! (52 laps)
MxxG9uV.png

a6nIkiD.png

0bgDjkW.png

race results:
QL8CTY7.png

I was driving the #1 Pennzoil, so this was a disastrous race for me :lol:
Made a mistake at the end of lap 4, ended up with a 34 second gap to the leaders. I just couldn't find the pace. Laps on 2:04-2:03, while the AI mantained a consistent pace of ~2:03. I'm looking at the 2000 race results (1999 Suzuka was under rain) and the winning car had a total race time of 1:48:07. Not too far off from the real race!

The final results aren't really accurate because something happened with the AI after everyone made their first pitstop. A full tank using x1 fuel multiplier is enough to give all 3 cars 45-47 laps and that's exactly what happened: everyone not involved in a crash (heavy damage was enable) pitted at laps 45-47.

However, some cars decided to pit again for fuel. This pic is lap 50. I think this gap between 1st to 5th place is pretty good after 50 laps, but excluding the #6 Esso Supra, everyone decided to pit again. What's even more weird is that all 4 NSX ran out of fuel on the last lap, even after 2 pitstops
rHojoBW.png

It was a good race though, especially with dynamic weather set at x1. Got involved in 2 battles for quite a while and had this funny moment:

also did a quick race at High Speed Ring
UsyEjzr.png

DSCndAL.png

MxxG9uV.png

a6nIkiD.png

0bgDjkW.png

race results:
QL8CTY7.png

Made a mistake at the end of lap 4, ended up with a 34 second gap to the leaders. I just couldn't find the pace. Laps on 2:04-2:03, while the AI mantained a consistent pace of ~2:03. I'm looking at the 2000 race results (1999 Suzuka was under rain) and the winning car had a total race time of 1:48:07. Not too far off from the real race!

The final results aren't really accurate because something happened with the AI after everyone made their first pitstop. A full tank using x1 fuel multiplier is enough to give all 3 cars 45-47 laps and that's exactly what happened: everyone not involved in a crash (heavy damage was enable) pitted at laps 45-47.

However, some cars decided to pit again for fuel. This pic is lap 50. I think this gap between 1st to 5th place is pretty good after 50 laps, but excluding the #6 Esso Supra, everyone decided to pit again. What's even more weird is that all 4 NSX ran out of fuel on the last lap, even after 2 pitstops
rHojoBW.png

It was a good race though, especially with dynamic weather set at x1. Got involved in 2 battles for quite a while and had this funny moment:

also did a quick race at High Speed Ring
UsyEjzr.png

DSCndAL.png

A meeting of Gran Turismo legends!!

Man, the last few posts of this thread are sensational, glorious, beautiful - you pick the word!

This community is incredible. I noticed nearly every NSX livery has already been completed - and the car has been out for what, less than 36 hours?

I got carried away last night looking for NSX liveries and started sorting my entire JGTC collection together.
Aside from the one-offs where pictures or GT7 recreations may not exist - I would be shocked there's a JGTC GT500 grid from 1995 to 2004 that you can't recreate.

Last edited:
@suomi1 Thanks for sharing! Did you tune each one individually? I can see that Gr2 McLaren running away with it otherwise..
Yes, I did tune them. The McLaren has a 500/770 downforce setting, ECU set at 70% (428hp), a big 200 Kg ballast at -10, and a tuned manual gear box (300 km/h - 3.078 / 2.239 / 1.755 / 1.446 / 1.248 / 1.165 - final 2.900). The problem being the fuel economy which is too efficient.

race results:
QL8CTY7.png

Good stuff! Were you using boost? I am curious how you managed to have such close battles with them. My AI can either only trail by 0.5 secs (boost on) or fall way behind (boost off).

kjb
While I was making a trip with my family I thought about creating a sedan race. Just not sure if I want to use the more modern vehicles or the DTM cars. DTM should be easy with the Bimmers, Benz’s, Sierras and the 155s. For the modern I guess the Mazda Aztenza, Crown, Alfa, maybe a defined Charger. I will need to check the specs and see if I can create a competitive field. Any other suggestions for the modern sedans?
I created a grid of only 4 door sedans. Old, new, evs...all of them. I cant remember the cars exactly but its the alfa 155, mercedes 190 and 300 sel, every gen of evo present, subaru wrx, g70 and atenza gr4, toyota crown, alfa gtam, charger, the teslas and will also include the afeela. In probably forgetting some car, but basically thats it. But I havent tuned the cars yet, just created a grid with them to get an idea of the available cars that would fit it

Started my own JGTC series yesterday and here's what my rounds looks like.

Round 1 - Kyoto GT Championship Race (40 laps) (Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagiwa)
Round 2 - All Japan Fuji GT Race (35 laps) (Fuji Speedway)
Round 3 - Tokyo GT Championship (31 laps) (Tokyo Expressway - South Counterclockwise)
Non championship round - Castrol Japan GT Championship Australia (32 laps) (Mt. Panorama)
Round 4 - Japan Special GT Cup (35 laps) (Fuji Speedway)
Round 5 - GT Championship in High Speed Ring (40 laps) (High Speed Ring)
Round 6 - Autopolis GT Race (42 laps) (Autopolis)
Round 7 - Suzuka GT 300 km (51 laps) (Suzuka)

For the cars I'll be using for the series, here's what I chose:

Round 1 - Akira Iida (RAYBRIG NSX)
Round 2 - Takeshi Tsuchiya (Castrol Supra)
Round 3 - Erik Comas (LOCTITE NISMO GTR)
Round 4 - Osamu Nakako (Castrol Mugen NSX)
Round 5 - Satoshi Motoyama (Calsonic GTR)
Round 6 - Dominik Schwager (Mobil 1 NSX)
Round 7 - Keiichi Tsuchiya (ARTA NSX)
Non championship round - Wayne Gardner (ESSO Supra)

First round went fine to say the least though if both S15s continue to suck, I may to give both the DAISHIN and C West S15 a reprieve by giving them the S15 Touring Car. Played as Akira Iida in the RAYBRIG NSX for this.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240531120431.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20240531120441.jpg

Start of the round:

Highlights of this round include a spin from Aguri Suzuki after getting intimidated and the two Nissans (LOCTITE NISMO and Hasemi) fighting for P2 which unfortunately for Comas he got compromised by the GT300 backmarker).

Last edited:
Hey, all. Had the custom career done by the 30th, the deadline I set - during post formatting (which took longer than I thought, and still in-progress), I realised I needed to flesh a few things out more. I don’t want to post it without the right amount of polish.

It is also abundantly clear to me that I cannot self-motivate myself to be productive without external pressure. The deadline of May 30th was a huge help for me to get it done. Without a public deadline, it’s so easy to look at what’s left and brush it off to just listen to music or something. With a deadline, I properly focus and get things done.

Ok, so, new date. I’ve taken stock of it all and this is the last big final pass I need to make. Obviously, I never posted it then, so you’ll have to take my word for it, but I did finish what I had initially set out for the career on the 30th of May.

With that said. 10th of June is when it will be posted. Actually this time. I really hope it’ll be worth it. I’m not just weeing away time, I just want it to be properly polished and a really enjoyable and immersive experience.

Last edited:
Started my own JGTC series yesterday and here's what my rounds looks like.

Round 1 - Kyoto GT Championship Race (40 laps) (Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagiwa)
Round 2 - All Japan Fuji GT Race (35 laps) (Fuji Speedway)
Round 3 - Tokyo GT Championship (31 laps) (Tokyo Expressway - South Counterclockwise)
Non championship round - Castrol Japan GT Championship Australia (32 laps) (Mt. Panorama)
Round 4 - Japan Special GT Cup (35 laps) (Fuji Speedway)
Round 5 - GT Championship in High Speed Ring (40 laps) (High Speed Ring)
Round 6 - Autopolis GT Race (42 laps) (Autopolis)
Round 7 - Suzuka GT 300 km (51 laps) (Suzuka)

For the cars I'll be using for the series, here's what I chose:

Round 1 - Akira Iida (RAYBRIG NSX)
Round 2 - Takeshi Tsuchiya (Castrol Supra)
Round 3 - Erik Comas (LOCTITE NISMO GTR)
Round 4 - Osamu Nakako (Castrol Mugen NSX)
Round 5 - Satoshi Motoyama (Calsonic GTR)
Round 6 - Dominik Schwager (Mobil 1 NSX)
Round 7 - Keiichi Tsuchiya (ARTA NSX)
Non championship round - Wayne Gardner (ESSO Supra)

First round went fine to say the least though if both S15s continue to suck, I may to give both the DAISHIN and C West S15 a reprieve by giving them the S15 Touring Car. Played as Akira Iida in the RAYBRIG NSX for this.

View attachment 1361202

View attachment 1361203
Start of the round:

Highlights of this round include a spin from Aguri Suzuki after getting intimidated and the two Nissans (LOCTITE NISMO and Hasemi) fighting for P2 which unfortunately for Comas he got compromised by the GT300 backmarker).

Round 2 I started it with a rain. Played as Takeshi Tsuchiya with the Castrol Supra.

It took about until lap 24 where the conditions improved then while Tsuchiya has it in the bag for the win, the battle for P2 heated up between Hideki Noda, Satoshi Motoyama, and Tetsuya Tanaka but the first two had to box for a refuel which led to Tanaka and Keiichi Tsuchiya occupying the podium spots.

And here are the results of Round 2.

1717655053419.png

1717655065938.png

Really feels like PD have tweaked the Boost. From last in all my races, depending on circuit, I’d move up the order steadily. I did adjust the cars from Project Cars 2 Group A specs to more real life ATCC specs. Due to the addition of the R31. Barely got the first win at Kyoto. AI doing their early braking at the esses before the final final corner.
IMG_4321.jpeg

From then on, haven’t won a race yet. Turned damage off to see how much the AI “fight”. Kept close for the ten laps every race.
IMG_4322.jpeg
IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

Last edited:
Was doing some testing last night and heavy damage is lovely. The AI pits if they sustain damage and it feels really realistic, like how irl a pile up in F1 results in 3-4 drivers at the back of the grid.

Gotta say. While you have to work around the throttle issue and what not, I like that they’re not on rails. They go too deep, they lose it sometimes. That + damage mixes things up.

Really feels like PD have tweaked the Boost. From last in all my races, depending on circuit, I’d move up the order steadily. I did adjust the cars from Project Cars 2 Group A specs to more real life ATCC specs. Due to the addition of the R31. Barely got the first win at Kyoto. AI doing their early braking at the esses before the final final corner.
View attachment 1363587

From then on, haven’t won a race yet. Turned damage off to see how much the AI “fight”. Kept close for the ten laps every race.
View attachment 1363588View attachment 1363589
View attachment 1363590

“Tweaked the boost” — Boost Weak or Off for these runs? Didn’t watch the videos, apologies if those answer this.

I do feel like the AI is relatively weak on Yamagiwa (s1 and s3 esses, downhill sweeper = t6 i think?) versus the others shown. Deep Forest is also a little weak compared to Fuji and Monza, I think, particularly if you abuse those first three corners where the AI seems to struggle.

What do we think the best circuits are for AI? Probably those that prefer TCS? Big Willow and Fuji come to mind…

View attachment 1363587

View attachment 1363588View attachment 1363589
View attachment 1363590

Don't give me hope.

“Tweaked the boost” — Boost Weak or Off for these runs? Didn’t watch the videos, apologies if those answer this.

I do feel like the AI is relatively weak on Yamagiwa (s1 and s3 esses, downhill sweeper = t6 i think?) versus the others shown. Deep Forest is also a little weak compared to Fuji and Monza, I think, particularly if you abuse those first three corners where the AI seems to struggle.

What do we think the best circuits are for AI? Probably those that prefer TCS? Big Willow and Fuji come to mind…
Plenty of tracks where the AI suffer for sure. Trial Mountain, Spa and Suzuka (Road cars) come to mind.

Road Atlanta is probably the best track for the AI. I'd say a close-second bet would be Fuji.

Boost weak. Yes, the first esses they tap the brakes and the downhill esses they tap the brakes in the middle of the esses and then the next ess directly as we climb the circuit.
At Deep Forest, yes indeed, they’ll brake and “understeer” at first part of the circuit until the left after the little “bridge” before the tunnel.

The best? It’s tough. It could be the best for a particular set up and specific grid. I think The Glen, Road Atlanta and Goodwood seem to offer me AI at their best at navigating a circuits complex cornering and chicanes.
Don't give me hope.
No hope given. ;) I was also feeling like PD tweaked the controller physics this update. The cars been handling real good. I could be wrong or it could just be my enjoyment of driving. However, since driving the EG and then building the FF touring cars, the fwd physics don’t have that torque steer and braking traction under acceleration that I experienced before this update.
Maybe the tyre model has been updated. I just don’t know, but the cars feel more realistic/better grip to me.

Career going up today, as promised. I got almost everything in I wanted during the last four days. Some original drivers may be missing bios, but they will all be named, and the bios will be added in the days to come. I really hope everyone enjoys it!

Last edited:
Boost weak. Yes, the first esses they tap the brakes and the downhill esses they tap the brakes in the middle of the esses and then the next ess directly as we climb the circuit.
At Deep Forest, yes indeed, they’ll brake and “understeer” at first part of the circuit until the left after the little “bridge” before the tunnel.

The best? It’s tough. It could be the best for a particular set up and specific grid. I think The Glen, Road Atlanta and Goodwood seem to offer me AI at their best at navigating a circuits complex cornering and chicanes.

No hope given. ;) I was also feeling like PD tweaked the controller physics this update. The cars been handling real good. I could be wrong or it could just be my enjoyment of driving. However, since driving the EG and then building the FF touring cars, the fwd physics don’t have that torque steer and braking traction under acceleration that I experienced before this update.
Maybe the tyre model has been updated. I just don’t know, but the cars feel more realistic/better grip to me.
I noticed the improvement in handling physics when I was running the ‘66 Shelby GT350 at The ‘Ring. I was running it on SS tires and tuned to 450hp. I was astonished, finding it near perfect. If you run yours, let us know your thoughts.

I'm pooped. Had to start the formatting again in a Google doc as I hit the forum character limit, but because I'm pasting from Apple Notes, the paragraph/line break/bold formatting doesn't work properly. Feeding it through new Reddit specifically gets the indents working and sometimes the bold words, but a lot requires re-bolding. Not hard, just taking some time. I'm super tired so I'm gonna have to call it for tonight, but all the work on the career is done now. It's 100% formatting from here on. I've formatted all the licenses and a few main leagues. Only thing to do post-release is to add bios for everyone. Right now a few original drivers have them, but not all.

It's going up tomorrow 100000%. Woulda been able to get it up today if the formatting copied 1:1 from my notes but that's nobody's fault, just how it goes sometimes. Apple's formatting is a bit weird I think so it throws off a good few text editors I tried. Same effect when pasting to GTP also occurs with Google Docs, even when pushing it through new Reddit's text editor first.

On the upside, you can collapse things like GTP spoilers in Google Docs, and an outline is on the left side of the document. So it should not be a downgrade for navigation. The opposite actually, and that's not a knock on GTP's editor, more so the amount of spoiler tags I was using. It got a little confusing clicking in and out of nested spoilers.

1718138161839.png

Almost there! Big push tomorrow for the last big chunk of the work and we are away. I have three main leagues left, one of them is the largest. The other two are a good bit smaller.

I'm gonna have the intro and regulatory text in the main forum post, and then attach all the documents.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back