Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,285 comments
Even though the oval isn't in a usable state anymore, I'd love to see Polyphony digitally restore it if Motegi came back. That kind of intermediate 1.5-mile oval would be something unique to what we already have, and a digital restoration of it could be a neat marketing/documentary piece
I wonder if their new(?) thing of collecting road surface data of real tracks would get in the way of that. They could dig in their archives and access the data if they're okay with the fantasy track approach to the road surface. And other games recreate old versions of tracks so I assume licensing would be okay in that regard too?

Try switching to motion sensor controls.
I might give that a try - does it actually change the steering animation? Ultimately, I want to get a wheel as that's how I played GT5 and I loved it. On the subject of controls, how are people using the adaptive triggers? I tried different settings, but I couldn't drive properly with the brake setting on anything other than off. I had hoped that it would help threshold braking with ABS off, but the resistance point doesn't seem to indicate anything (its certainly not the lockup threshold) and it basically just made it really difficult to drive for no benefit. I tried the weak setting and that didn't help. I ended up turning it to off and just turning on ABS instead. I do find it pretty useful on the accelerator though, as it means the limited range of the trigger can be more carefully metered.

I would love that but its a urban track and as Kaz said it would take them longer to do :(
I understand that the difficulty of making a street-level urban track like R246 today is the huge amount of buildings, curbs, lights, etc to model in very high detail, but is this a permanent problem?

Tokyo Expressway is the only city location PD has released since GT5 launched. It's beautiful, so long as you don't look over the barricade.

Forza Motorsport has also recently dropped all of its city tracks, possibly for the same reasons of modelling and optimisation difficulties. If we can't have urban tracks now or in the foreseeable future, when? Are we waiting for AI to model the gutters?

This difficulty stated by current developers in the production of urban circuits is very curious.

Before, there was no Google Earth, no photogrammetry equipment, no artificial intelligence, but developers were still able to deliver city circuits with impressive details, as is the case with the list of tracks in GT4 and GT5.

And before, they could only use photographs at the locations.

Nowadays, because of modern tools, even modders can do a decent job, as we see in Assetto Corsa.

I'm not saying they're (PD) lying. Actually, I'm very curious.

Maybe it's just a matter of time before an urban circuit appears.

A good solution would be to bring the Tokyo R246 with different layouts, for example. If PD spent all its resources on just one R246 layout, it would be expensive indeed. Instead, PD could bring two or three more layouts, just like it did with the Tokyo Expressway.

Last edited:
PD should make a new Special Stage in Melbourne, along with Albert Park GP track. They have to stop ignoring my city because it has a fantastic car culture and a rich motor sport history dating back to the 50's. Also, a lot of Supercar teams are based here too, with Walkinshaw in Clayton, Team 18 in Mount Waverley, Tickford in Campbellfield, Grove in Dandenong South and Blanchard Racing in Box Hill. It's the perfect location for a car game.

I even have a potential route:
Screenshot (83).png

Last edited:
PD should make a new Special Stage in Melbourne, along with Albert Park GP track. They have to stop ignoring my city because it has a fantastic car culture and a rich motor sport history dating back to the 50's. Also, a lot of Supercar teams are based here too, with Walkinshaw in Clayton, Team 18 in Mount Waverley, Tickford in Campbellfield, Grove in Dandenong South and Blanchard Racing in Box Hill. It's the perfect location for a car game.
Well...
Albert Park was found in the form of scapes data a while ago, along with Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Since then, CGV has been added to the time-of-day settings data list, where all of the circuits added through updates have appeared before their in-game inclusion (Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen etc)

Albert Park as far as I know hasn't been found in that time-of-day setting list yet, but there's a decent chance it will do in the future.
If they would have scanned it, one would imagine it would've been after the latest changes were made, so they don't release an already out-of-date circuit.

Sources:
Scapes data (Albert Park & CGV)
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...scussion-thread.394098/page-345#post-13569786

Time of Day data (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve)
Edited to include my sources.

Last edited:
Well...
Albert Park was found in the form of scapes data a while ago, along with Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Since then, CGV has been added to the time-of-day settings data list, where all of the circuits added through updates have appeared before their in-game inclusion (Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen etc)

Albert Park as far as I know hasn't been found in that time-of-day setting list yet, but there's a decent chance it will do in the future.
If they would have scanned it, one would imagine it would've been after the latest changes were made, so they don't release an already out-of-date circuit.

Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...scussion-thread.394098/page-345#post-13569786
Yes I know about this, that's why I made the suggestion.

I had dinner with Igor and his father in New Zealand after he won the Toyota Racing Series in 2020. We talked for four hours and I recorded our conversation for this article:

It explains how Igor's family had to take out loans and sell possessions to keep funding his racing career, and how him and his father were homeless in the United States, sleeping in cars and parking lots after he joined the "Road to Indy" driver development program.
It's usually very cool to be able to chat with a celebrity, especially when they're willing to show that, save for a bit of fame, they're really just average folks like you and I.

I would love that but its a urban track and as Kaz said it would take them longer to do :(
I understand that the difficulty of making a street-level urban track like R246 today is the huge amount of buildings, curbs, lights, etc to model in very high detail, but is this a permanent problem?

Tokyo Expressway is the only city location PD has released since GT5 launched. It's beautiful, so long as you don't look over the barricade.

Forza Motorsport has also recently dropped all of its city tracks, possibly for the same reasons of modelling and optimisation difficulties. If we can't have urban tracks now or in the foreseeable future, when? Are we waiting for AI to model the gutters?
R246 also has an issue where one of the roads used on it are now pedestrianized and may require re-routing.

The old Tokyo Route 246 layout is not possible anymore, unless PD just ups the graphics of the old version.

View attachment 1291402View attachment 1291403View attachment 1291404View attachment 1291405View attachment 1291406

The road near the palace has been turned into a pedestrian walkway. New layout would add a new hairpin a bit further on.

But hope PD would recreate these roads and and weather and full 24 hour timecycle.
R246 also has an issue where one of the roads used on it are now pedestrianized and may require re-routing.
Good. That short chute was always kind of a useless part of the track where it was nearly impossible to pass. Redirecting the track further north to the pointy intersection like you've done would make for an excellent braking zone passing opportunity. There are actually two places on the track where I think this should happen.

This is exactly why they've done the redesigns they've done, to reduce the flow of tracks and promote passing. It's worked so far in my opinion.

Last edited:

As pointed out in a couple posts, park circuits may be the best move. PD can get away with outlying areas like at Interlagos.

For me it would be absolutely ok if they shift their resources now away from cars for a while and use them to create some city circuits (I don’t know if that makes sense from development point of view).

For me it would be absolutely ok if they shift their resources now away from cars for a while and use them to create some city circuits (I don’t know if that makes sense from development point of view).
I’d be surprised if those were the same resources.

I’d be surprised if those were the same resources.
That’s what I meant with „if that makes sense from a development point of view“.
I don’t know if people who model cars can also easily model tracks/ buildings etc., or if they can just shift the money they spend on cars to modeling city circuits, probably it’s not that easy. I just wanted to say that I would welcome it and would be totally with them focusing on city circuits, as much as I like more cars, I would absolutely prefer driving the existing on around some city tracks. And as the cars are future proof for further iterations of GT, I think tracks are too, and when they just have limited resources, I think it would be cool to focus on tracks now to build up a roster of diverse tracks, as they now have a roster of diverse cars.

I think new city circuits would be nice but i dont see it happening going what kaz said about it, i still think the car list is more lacking than current track roaster

Any idea what the new patch will include?
I stopped playing GT7 the moment 1.41 arrived because PD weakened to the very minimum the vibration on the dualshock4...for unknown reasons....so I couldn't even feel the road.
So vibration back to the way it was up until 1.40 is all I need.

I played FM3,4,5,6,7 religiously over the years, and on December 18 I bought an Xbox series X and FM2023 only for this issue with GT7. My God, what a huge mistake I've made. The level up for each car is embarrassing, the "career" boring as hell with the useless and forced practice before each race, the colors tedious and fake (cars also look fake, as usual), the circuit list very weak, and so on. And why the is the steering on racecars so loose?? Basically this game feels empty. 6 years of development for nothing.
It's a step back from FM7. I don't see anything better except the graphical fluidity, and it's not even a point in favor of Turn 10 since I don't even consider this as true new gen.
The official FM forum is on fire due to the players disappointment.

I used to criticize GT7 a lot but now all I want is to resume playing in Daily Race B so badly.

Last edited:
(...)

A good solution would be to bring the Tokyo R246 with different layouts, for example. If PD spent all its resources on just one R246 layout, it would be expensive indeed. Instead, PD could bring two or three more layouts, just like it did with the Tokyo Expressway.
Like this:

Taking advantage of all the assets produced for the Tokyo R246 location, four tracks could be created:

• Tokyo R246 Full Course - 5.224m
  • Tokyo R246 West Course - 2.438m
  • Tokyo R246 East Course - 3.540m
  • Tokyo Oval Course - 1.250m

Tokyo R246 Full Course.png
Tokyo R246 West Course.png

Tokyo R246 East Course.png
Tokyo R246 Oval Course.png

By the way, I think it's a waste that Trial Mountain and Deep Forest have only one layout, and Gran Valley only two. I believe there would be space to put an off-road course in the three locations, and one or two more asphalt layouts. And a karting course too!

Last edited:
Other than Tokyo R246, I would also really like to see the New York street circuit return, and since I was there a week ago, Seoul.
No doubt NYC was on my brain about how that circuit would look in GT7. Thing is, I wondered about the dreaded licensing. How much did it cost to have the Mamma Mia! Billboard, Columbus Circle globe and forty deuce jumbotron displayed in the circuit? How much would that cost today?
I think it would be cool, but maybe a marketing headache, at that one circuit.

No doubt NYC was on my brain about how that circuit would look in GT7. Thing is, I wondered about the dreaded licensing. How much did it cost to have the Mamma Mia! Billboard, Columbus Circle globe and forty deuce jumbotron displayed in the circuit? How much would that cost today?
I think it would be cool, but maybe a marketing headache, at that one circuit.
GT4 and GT PSP (as well as even the first three Motorsport games of Forza) did not feature the Mamma Mia billboard and the other such track details were probably replaced with fictional ads. You also have to consider that the scenery of Times Square has also changed, as it's 2024 now.

Forza did, however, feature the Bubba Gump restaurant in the NYC track (and they had to get licensing from Paramount just for the purpose), although I wouldn't say it's anything that special and more of a tourist trap, which is why I never even bothered to eat there.

Any track details that would likely be a licensing nightmare could easily be replaced with something fictional as far as I'm concerned, so that it probably looks somewhat believable.

Other than familiar city tracks, Polyphony should give more thought into making more layouts for them, in order to highlight the city ambience whilst paying attention to technical racing. Like for example, as we were discussing the New York circuit, there could be layouts for the Brooklyn Bridge, Fifth Avenue, and hell, even the JFK airport to relive Ridge Racer Type 4.

However, if it's anything similar to Project Gotham Racing, the tracks in that game series, if they actually use real roads, are either bad for clean racing, overtaking or both.

I seem to have a bias for wanting the NYC circuit to return to Gran Turismo and Forza, as I was born there and consider it my hometown, with Manila currently being my second home.

Last edited:
Back