Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
Thanks Mercia, even if my region and friends have points tallied?

Hey Mercia,

Nope still shows that I got 0 points for the round. I’m annoyed now, going from getting close to 4m credits first round to 2.3m. I should be quite competitive in the coming rounds to have a chance of getting anything
Do you have evidence of what points you should have, such as the end screen after the race?
If so send PD a message. It probably won't go anywhere but there have been instances before of people not getting their points from rounds.

Do you think there's any chance I can get a midseason transfer from Honda to Mazda? That new Gr4 machine is an absolute rocket.
Last Manu I did P2... P1 was someone with a Mazda, 20+ seconds ahead doing 1:45:5, my fast lap was 1:47:0 in a porsche

Don't really care much about this Nations event, 99% sure I'll be skipping it all together.

Did a few more practice laps around Nord yesterday. Managed a 8:04.9 in the Porsche and an 8:06.X in the Viper. The Porsche is sooo nice around Nord. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any of the races in the Porsche on the #1 account as I am not available during the three time slots alloted... again. Might be able to make one of the earlier slots on the EMEA side (GT1 start at 10:00A here) in the McLaren and maybe one on the #2 account but that'll be all she wrote.

I am still salty for the three slot GT1 times if you can't tell. Super bummed as this is my favorite track layout in the game. Oh well, so it is.

Too much ring talk, we have Maggiore first in this frolicsome Red Bull. Having so much trouble getting out of turn 2 - just looking at the throttle leads to catastrophe. It's going to be very dangerous with other cars around in the race. I'm definitely starting on the hards and pitting lap 1 to get in some space.
Seems like a smart move. That turn is even worse coming out from the pits on cold hard tires, so if you start on hards you'll at least avoid that situation.

I find that using TCS 2 helps. It is enough to prevent me from spinning out on T2, but not so much that it kicks in on other parts of the track where I don't want it.

My biggest challenge right now is consistency. My lap times are all over the place. Often, I'm able to keep it within 0.5s of my fastest lap, but it seems just as often I make a minor mistake that compounds as the lap goes and I before I know it, I'm 2-4s off my best pace. These Red Bull cars demand a level of precision that I feel I'm not really up to. So be it, though. I'm sure I'm not the only DR B driver in this situation.

Another thing I'm struggling with is driving these cars in traffic. If my custom races against the AI are any indication -- and I realize the AIs are not representative of human drivers in many ways -- even seemingly slight contact can result in damage and penalties. I suppose this is mostly a result of the high speeds of the cars, so collisions are happening at higher speeds. In any case, it looks like I need to learn to exercise greater patience and care when driving these things in a crowd.

Ran another full-length NBG. Dry race, so I went with a 4S-3S-3S strategy. Lost about 8-9 seconds in an “NBG moment” when I judged that last carousel thingee wrong and spun on exit. Didn’t help that I was on dead Softs either. Total finishing time was 1:23:34.001

I’m not sold on the 4S stint. You really have to manage your tires, and while you don’t really suffer a severe drop-off in pace that puts you into the “might as well run Mediums” realm, you can’t push it either. Also, depending on the strength of the other drivers in the lobby, you might not be able to slow down without losing too much track position. Not to mention, a spin at any point of this stint, will ruin the tires, and ruin the point of trying to make the Softs last that long.

My next run, I’m going to do a 5M-3S-2S strategy. Mainly because I want to see what the time difference between a fuel-saving 5M stint, looks compared to a full-beans on Softs with a pit stop stint

I just don’t see this being anything but a dry race. Granted, the fastest lobbies will be a couple minutes faster than my time, with the slower lobbies being a couple minutes slower. But with qualifying, you’re pushing dangerously close to that next slot if you implement weather. Like I think I mentioned in an earlier post, the only way I could see some sort of weather, is if they start us out in n a drying course, or finish us on a partially wet course where we have to make a judgment call on wether to take wet tires on the last lap or not.

It would be kind of cool if they had us go through qualifying on a sunny track, albeit a track that just had a cell side-swipe part of the track….then we’d have to look at the weather radar and try to guess how wet the track might be on that particular section. Then based on what the track looked like in qualifying, we’d have to make a judgment call on what tires to start on.

Last edited:
Maybe I owe you some humility here, because it was me. I apologized to you in-game but I guess you never saw it given this post.

I don't recall pushing you off later but I do recall being spooked and unprepared for you to brake much earlier than I do into that final S bend. My race craft had been off all weekend, so again I apologize! The bumps weren't intentional, just not a professional driver myself.
Appreciate the reply, I'm no pro, either.

I'm over it, it's just a game after all.

Alright. Did some more strategy testing in custom races, mimicking the race settings that have been given to us. Run #1 was to fuel save with mediums and see if I could get 5 laps out of a tank while maintaining a decent pace. In typical "Green Hell" fashion, I had some moments of triumph as well as some close calls, but nonetheless, it was a solid stint. My lap times ranged from 8:21-8:19, and I finished with .1 laps of fuel in the tank. Total race time was 41:50.

Run #2 was to go like hell on Softs, and pit at the end of lap 3 for fresh tires and a splash of fuel. Lap times ranged from 8:12-8:15. Total pit stop time was 35 seconds from pit entry to first braking zone. Total time was 41:37.

I haven't done an official run on tire saving with softs to make it 4 laps, but from what I recall earlier, my fastest lap was a high 8:13, with my other laps being around 8:15-16, and my 4th lap was much slower. I originally said 10 seconds, but that might have been a tad generous. Not to mention that it was pretty damn sketchy. I think it would be fair to say, that in order to make 4 laps on softs, I would have to have my first 3 laps be in the 8:16 range, with the hopes of being able to pull an ~ 8:26 on the 4th lap. I'm sure I could stiffen up my suspension in hopes to get better tire wear, but as far as lap times would be concerned, I'm pretty sure it'll be a wash.

The advantage of going like hell on the softs for 3 laps, is you don't have to compromise your driving style and pace one iota. The disadvantage is it will take 3 pit stops, that will cost you an additional 1:10 from the one-stop on mediums. For arguments sake, lets just say my average medium tire lap times are 8:20 and my push soft laps are 8:14. Theoretically, you're going to come real close to making up the time of needing to do that 3rd pit stop at the end of 9.

One potential strategy I see working is going 3S, 3S, 4M. The extra pit stop compared to the 1-stop will cost you 35 seconds, and that last stint on mediums will cost you an additional 6 seconds a lap, for a total of 20 seconds.

Sooooooooooo........

Doing some very rough math, this is what I've figured out. Pit stop times are ~ 35 seconds to account for tires and splash of fuel

3S-3S-4M = 1:23.54 total race time. (You could probably subtract a few seconds from this time if you substitute in a 4-Softs variation and/or to compensate for being able to not have to worry about fuel saving for the entire 4M stint…as I used 8:20 for my average (medium tires) lap time.

5M-5M = 1:23.45 total race time

3S-3S-3S-1S = 1:24.05 total race time (you can probably subtract a couple seconds from this time as you won't need fuel on your last stop)

4S-4S-2S. = 1:24.06 total race time

Pretty incredible how close all these times are. Besides traffic, accidents, potential weather, etc. I think the biggest kicker is how good the person is at NBG. Someone that's REALLY GOOD here, will be able to make up even more time on softs. Granted, that same person will also be faster on mediums as well..... but there is a very finite line on how fast you can push the medium tires.

Ran another full-length NBG. Dry race, so I went with a 4S-3S-3S strategy. Lost about 8-9 seconds in an “NBG moment” when I judged that last carousel thingee wrong and spun on exit. Didn’t help that I was on dead Softs either. Total finishing time was 1:23:34.001

I’m not sold on the 4S stint. You really have to manage your tires, and while you don’t really suffer a severe drop-off in pace that puts you into the “might as well run Mediums” realm, you can’t push it either. Also, depending on the strength of the other drivers in the lobby, you might not be able to slow down without losing too much track position. Not to mention, a spin at any point of this stint, will ruin the tires, and ruin the point of trying to make the Softs last that long.

My next run, I’m going to do a 5M-3S-2S strategy. Mainly because I want to see what the time difference between a fuel-saving 5M stint, looks compared to a full-beans on Softs with a pit stop stint

I just don’t see this being anything but a dry race. Granted, the fastest lobbies will be a couple minutes faster than my time, with the slower lobbies being a couple minutes slower. But with qualifying, you’re pushing dangerously close to that next slot if you implement weather. Like I think I mentioned in an earlier post, the only way I could see some sort of weather, is if they start us out in n a drying course, or finish us on a partially wet course where we have to make a judgment call on wether to take wet tires on the last lap or not.

It would be kind of cool if they had us go through qualifying on a sunny track, albeit a track that just had a cell side-swipe part of the track….then we’d have to look at the weather radar and try to guess how wet the track might be on that particular section. Then based on what the track looked like in qualifying, we’d have to make a judgment call on what tires to start on.
What do you think the best overall strategy/strategies are in case of dry weather?

Having gone from many seasons with one of the worst cars on tires (GT3 458) to now one of the best cars on tires, I can honestly say that my philosophy hasn’t changed much at all. In high tire-wear races, always go with the safe strategy.

Regardless of dynamic weather or not, we’re all going to be put in a position where we’ll have to do an extended stint. IMO, it’s worth giving up the raw pace, to not have to worry about managing tires. I will change my opinion slightly - that once you get the mediums up to temp, you can push them pretty hard….but they’re still down at least 3 seconds a lap to the Softs. The only difference with the mediums though, is you don’t have to worry about the severe performance drop-off on lap 4, and you can still take the same lines. This isn’t the case with the Softs. The lines you’re able to take on the 4th lap, will be different from the first 3 laps of the stint.

It should be noted that on a tire-shredding car like the 458 or Supra (or whatever), even a 3-lap soft stint will be pushing it….making a 4 lap medium stint difficult and a 5 lap medium stint out of the question. So the key is knowing your car….obviously.

Having said that, the logical question now…. is where do you incorporate that extended stint on whichever compound you choose, into the race?

Logically, it would make sense to do it in the beginning, where you’ll most likely be in traffic anyways. But PRACTICALLY speaking, game plans are very difficult to follow when you’re under attack from ahead and behind…and made even more difficult by a track as tough as the Nordschlief.

Personally, I’m almost inclined to put my extended stint in the middle or the end, when the field is spread out and I’ll most likely won’t be under pressure.

As of right now in the Porsche; unless I somehow start on pole (which is highly unlikely), my plan is to go 4M (let the alpha males on Softs through), pick up free spots as people wreck, then go full-beans on 3S-3S afterwards.

From a tire-standpoint, I’ll have zero issues going 4 laps on mediums, or 3 laps on Softs. It might not be the fastest, but it’s the safest.

Last edited:
8:04.5 in the McLaren at N24 after running it for a few laps.

I think I just need to do some tire testing using Yard_Sale's info as a starter. McLaren and/or Viper look to be my cars for this event.

Last edited:
Seems like a smart move. That turn is even worse coming out from the pits on cold hard tires, so if you start on hards you'll at least avoid that situation.

I find that using TCS 2 helps. It is enough to prevent me from spinning out on T2, but not so much that it kicks in on other parts of the track where I don't want it.

My biggest challenge right now is consistency. My lap times are all over the place. Often, I'm able to keep it within 0.5s of my fastest lap, but it seems just as often I make a minor mistake that compounds as the lap goes and I before I know it, I'm 2-4s off my best pace. These Red Bull cars demand a level of precision that I feel I'm not really up to. So be it, though. I'm sure I'm not the only DR B driver in this situation.

Another thing I'm struggling with is driving these cars in traffic. If my custom races against the AI are any indication -- and I realize the AIs are not representative of human drivers in many ways -- even seemingly slight contact can result in damage and penalties. I suppose this is mostly a result of the high speeds of the cars, so collisions are happening at higher speeds. In any case, it looks like I need to learn to exercise greater patience and care when driving these things in a crowd.
I've had to resort to TC3. Just leaving it on for the rest of the track as well, it really doesn't cost too much time at my speeds.
I think it's going to be carnage down in GT3 so I'll just stay out of trouble and let everyone else crash/spin. Playing the tortoise usually works well for me - I should make a livery with that theme.

Does anyone know if ignoring required tire change penalties stack? If not, on GT2/GT3 might be faster to do a no stop on RH and eat the penalty this weekend, based off of the lower number of laps run. Kinda curious, probably will test a proper race timing vs a no stop tomorrow.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if ignoring required tire change penalties stack? If not, on GT2/GT3 might be faster to do a no stop on RH and eat the penalty this weekend, based off of the lower number of laps run. Kinda curious, probably will test a proper race timing vs a no stop tomorrow.
If I remember right they do, so that would be a 2 minute penalty (plus the slower lap times), vs maybe 50 secs saved from not going in the pits.

Having gone from many seasons with one of the worst cars on tires (GT3 458) to now one of the best cars on tires, I can honestly say that my philosophy hasn’t changed much at all. In high tire-wear races, always go with the safe strategy.

Regardless of dynamic weather or not, we’re all going to be put in a position where we’ll have to do an extended stint. IMO, it’s worth giving up the raw pace, to not have to worry about managing tires. I will change my opinion slightly - that once you get the mediums up to temp, you can push them pretty hard….but they’re still down at least 3 seconds a lap to the Softs. The only difference with the mediums though, is you don’t have to worry about the severe performance drop-off on lap 4, and you can still take the same lines. This isn’t the case with the Softs. The lines you’re able to take on the 4th lap, will be different from the first 3 laps of the stint.

It should be noted that on a tire-shredding car like the 458 or Supra (or whatever), even a 3-lap soft stint will be pushing it….making a 4 lap medium stint difficult and a 5 lap medium stint out of the question. So the key is knowing your car….obviously.

Having said that, the logical question now…. is where do you incorporate that extended stint on whichever compound you choose, into the race?

Logically, it would make sense to do it in the beginning, where you’ll most likely be in traffic anyways. But PRACTICALLY speaking, game plans are very difficult to follow when you’re under attack from ahead and behind…and made even more difficult by a track as tough as the Nordschlief.

Personally, I’m almost inclined to put my extended stint in the middle or the end, when the field is spread out and I’ll most likely won’t be under pressure.

As of right now in the Porsche; unless I somehow start on pole (which is highly unlikely), my plan is to go 4M (let the alpha males on Softs through), pick up free spots as people wreck, then go full-beans on 3S-3S afterwards.

From a tire-standpoint, I’ll have zero issues going 4 laps on mediums, or 3 laps on Softs. It might not be the fastest, but it’s the safest.
Fantastic insights, thank you! 3S-3S-4M seems likely for me aswell. Tyre management is near impossible on controller so i can barely finish 3 laps on softs, let alone 4.

I've had to resort to TC3. Just leaving it on for the rest of the track as well, it really doesn't cost too much time at my speeds.
I think it's going to be carnage down in GT3 so I'll just stay out of trouble and let everyone else crash/spin. Playing the tortoise usually works well for me - I should make a livery with that theme.
I span there on my first go but was o.k. after that. A brief bit of throttle and a quick upshift to 3rd keeps me safe. Though I haven't tested it on hards yet. I will have to do so before my first attempt tomorrow.

The first few corners at LM are just awful and understeer central, especially the right hander at the top of the hill. But once I get past the hairpin at the bottom of the 'm' she handles like a dream. The 2nd half of the circuit if lovely in the X2019.

I've done a fair bit of practice this week for tomorrow's Nations Cup race (GT2 - 20 lap) including some testing to figure out the optimal balance between soft and medium tires. It turns out -- for how I drive, at least -- that it doesn't matter much. In my tests, 9S-10M-1H, 10S-9M-1H, and 11S-8M-1H strategies are all within a 3 seconds of each other, which I would chalk up to inconsistencies in my driving rather than any advantages in strategy. 11S-8M-1H was my best time (32:16.030). 10S-9M-1H was my worst (32:19.296). I haven't tested 12S-7M-1H yet because I feel the softs starting to go in laps 10 and 11 already and pushing it out to 12 seems risky, but maybe I'll give that a go yet just to see.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable on the track with that car than I was earlier in the week. I've managed to get my best time in free practice down to 1:32.8xx and am fairly consistently hitting 1:33.xxx there, which I'm hoping will be competitive in the mid-B lobbies that I've found myself in for the last few GTWS races.

I'm still not fully decided about where to do the lap on hards. If I put it at the start, I worry about being punted off the track by drivers on softer tires in the chaos of lap 1. Of course, if it is going to happen, better that it happen at the start of the race, when there is time to recover, than on the final lap. If I leave it to the end, the field should be more spread out and the risk of getting pushed off the track perhaps reduced, but if the race is close, I'll be at a disadvantage to any drivers who are finishing on softer tires on the final lap.

I've done a fair bit of practice this week for tomorrow's Nations Cup race (GT2 - 20 lap) including some testing to figure out the optimal balance between soft and medium tires. It turns out -- for how I drive, at least -- that it doesn't matter much. In my tests, 9S-10M-1H, 10S-9M-1H, and 11S-8M-1H strategies are all within a 3 seconds of each other, which I would chalk up to inconsistencies in my driving rather than any advantages in strategy. 11S-8M-1H was my best time (32:16.030). 10S-9M-1H was my worst (32:19.296). I haven't tested 12S-7M-1H yet because I feel the softs starting to go in laps 10 and 11 already and pushing it out to 12 seems risky, but maybe I'll give that a go yet just to see.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable on the track with that car than I was earlier in the week. I've managed to get my best time in free practice down to 1:32.8xx and am fairly consistently hitting 1:33.xxx there, which I'm hoping will be competitive in the mid-B lobbies that I've found myself in for the last few GTWS races.

I'm still not fully decided about where to do the lap on hards. If I put it at the start, I worry about being punted off the track by drivers on softer tires in the chaos of lap 1. Of course, if it is going to happen, better that it happen at the start of the race, when there is time to recover, than on the final lap. If I leave it to the end, the field should be more spread out and the risk of getting pushed off the track perhaps reduced, but if the race is close, I'll be at a disadvantage to any drivers who are finishing on softer tires on the final lap.
Thank you for the info on your tests. As for me, I was forced to take about 1 month off of GT7 while I got some hardware issues sorted out with my PS5 and wheel, so I'm not quite as dialed in as I'd like with the X2019. My FP best time is, if I remember correctly, a low 1:33.xxx (GT2 - Low/mid B rank). Considering this, I think I'll skip the qualifying and start on the Hard tires from the back, then pit for the Soft tires after the first lap and run them until they're no longer fast and finish on the Medium tire. Meanwhile hoping no body else in my lobby has the same idea.

The same old useless PD. The next hour is the only time today I can play, so I’ll try & race but not expecting much luck.
aaaaaand here we don’t go - quali not loading

Useless Old Timey Baseball GIF by Team Coco

Ran Oceania slot 1 in Nations. Found myself door 8 in top split.

Q10 with a couple of average laps but only a couple of tenths off Q6.

Started on mediums with the intention of staying out of trouble and running long on the first stint.

Got a good start and picked up a couple of spots through T1-3. Everything was remarkably clean from the starting line.

Then, entering BBB for the first time I murdered @SmoothOp when he braked earlier than I expected and I punted him through the turn. Damage and a 5 second penalty for me, damage and a lot of lost time for him.

The damage cost us both enormously (I was around 4 seconds a lap slower than without damage). I pitted lap 4 and decided to run two stints on softs.

Once in clear air and damage free I actually had reasonable pace but a 3 stop is NOT a feasible strat. Especially not a 4m11s12s3h.

Finally finished p11 with @SmoothOp p9.

FWIW I think heavy damage for this combo is a terrible idea. These cars are so hard to drive and reaction times are so small, there are going to be a lot of innocent bystanders who have races ruined.

If I we get past the Qualifying hanging bug does that mean we can safely rely on the race starting okay? Or is there a second chance it will hang between qualifying and the race?

Back