Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 12,083 comments
Did some practice with custom races to get a handle on how well tires would hold up and how the car felt with fuel load then went into a practice lobby.

I tried a pretty bassackwards approach but wasn’t to the only crazy one 🤷🏻‍♂️ trying it.
Did 10 laps RM then finished up with RH once the car is lighter which seemed to keep lap times on the hards better than if starting with hards.

I’ll be trying RH first as well because I had two cars pass while in the pit and that gets pretty nervous when you need to make up any lost places in short order.
I did get one of the two cars reeled in and still took p3 but not sure if I liked the strat overall.

Big thing I’m reasonably certain of was the wall penalty setting in lobbies is not as sensitive as in free practice.
This will give a false sense of security to some of the people slightly grazing the wall in lobbies and getting away with it. Maybe I just missed the spots in free practice where you don’t get a penalty but it sure seemed more lenient in the practice lobby so would be good to hear others experiences.

In the race notes page I noticed a setting for wall detection was on high or something like that (to old and can’t remember crap 😂) as well as the setting we get for weak penalties. Can’t duplicate that detection setting in practice lobbies as far as I know.

Did some practice with custom races to get a handle on how well tires would hold up and how the car felt with fuel load then went into a practice lobby.

I tried a pretty bassackwards approach but wasn’t to the only crazy one 🤷🏻‍♂️ trying it.
Did 10 laps RM then finished up with RH once the car is lighter which seemed to keep lap times on the hards better than if starting with hards.

I’ll be trying RH first as well because I had two cars pass while in the pit and that gets pretty nervous when you need to make up any lost places in short order.
I did get one of the two cars reeled in and still took p3 but not sure if I liked the strat overall.

Big thing I’m reasonably certain of was the wall penalty setting in lobbies is not as sensitive as in free practice.
This will give a false sense of security to some of the people slightly grazing the wall in lobbies and getting away with it. Maybe I just missed the spots in free practice where you don’t get a penalty but it sure seemed more lenient in the practice lobby so would be good to hear others experiences.

In the race notes page I noticed a setting for wall detection was on high or something like that (to old and can’t remember crap 😂) as well as the setting we get for weak penalties. Can’t duplicate that detection setting in practice lobbies as far as I know.
Haven’t really done any practice yet…but count me as someone that was already leaning towards that same RM-RH strategy, albeit for different reasons.

Being in a 458, my chances of qualifying well aren’t very good, being that it’s slow as hell and I have to tiptoe down the mountain. Combine that with the probability of getting wrecked on the tight course, or wrecking myself - my plan is to run the mediums till I catch damage or the tires die (whatever comes first), then put on the hards to finish the race.

I know 100% that I can’t get the mediums to go the duration, but I can get the hards to go full distance. The way I see it, if I catch minor damage, my medium tire stint is going to be in the lap times of my RH stints anyways…..PLUS….. if the damage is bad enough to where I have to pit early for damage, the hards will get me the rest of the way.

Not to mention, the likelihood of catching damage is greatest in the beginning of the race anyways, when we’re all bunched up

Last edited:
Guys, it's exactly as @Zorz said. It's been discussed many-a-time. This is from @Famine (the first sentence sums it up perfectly):

DR is solely determined by your race finishing positions: a straightforward exchange of points between you, the people you beat, and people who beat you, scaled according to the relative difference in points between you.

But you do. The further ahead they are of you in terms of raw DR points, the less you lose, but you do lose points to them unless the difference is enormous.

For every car you finish in front of you gain:
80 - ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

For every car you finish behind, you lose:
80 + ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

As you can see, unless the difference is in excess of 39,500pt, you'll lose at least one point.

In a race where everyone has identical DR, this is the change in points after the race:
1: +1200
2: +1040
3: +880
4: +720
5: +560
6: +400
7: +240
8: +80
9: -80
10: -240
11: -400
12: -560
13: -720
14: -880
15: -1040
16: -1200

Thus, DR is not just as simple as "top eight gain and bottom eight lose." The reason it probably looks like that in the WS races, is because they're typically (in my experience) much higher participation than jumping into a random daily, thus everyone's DRs are very close. In my US GT1 race at Nord, I honestly couldn't tell the A+ bar fill-in difference between the #1 board and #16 board, so it worked out in that case that the top eight gained and the bottom eight lost.

In theory you could gain DR finishing P15 and lose it finishing P2.

An example of the former is if you're a D rated driver and the other 15 drivers are all A+. The 14 that finish ahead of you will take less combined than what you take from the one you finished in front of because the delta is so large between A+ and D. An example of the latter would be the opposite (an A+ rated driver finishing P2 whereas all the others are D).
I'm glad it is still working like that. There are anomalies though. I finished ahead of a couple of B drivers as a C driver and finished either 9th or 10th but still lost DR. It felt like I should have at least broken even in that circumstance. Now we have ways to visually see the DR changes it leaves things up to scrutiny in case it is now different.

I'm glad it is still working like that. There are anomalies though. I finished ahead of a couple of B drivers as a C driver and finished either 9th or 10th but still lost DR. It felt like I should have at least broken even in that circumstance. Now we have ways to visually see the DR changes it leaves things up to scrutiny in case it is now different.
The math is there, my friend. :cheers: You must've lost more to those who finished ahead of you than you gained from the B ranked drivers.

I do like the addition of showing DR/SR gains/losses.

yeah, I think in custom races you can graze a wall without penalty while in free practice, it's 1.5secs (and I've gotten a penalty without even realizing it)

I dunno, the vast majority of my damage has been in lap 1. Panorama, 'nuff said. I'm likely to start on hards to get it over with, pit and hope for clean space. One thing about racing the AI, it makes you respect some distance to the car ahead because they have some really weird braking habits. Really hope others think like this. (they wont)

What it seems is needed is a change of attitude, yesterday I did 8 laps. 5 wallbangers, 2 clean, 1 almost clean until I ran wide out the final corner.

Today I went in with a different mindest, all about not touching those bloody walls. 7 laps, all clean, improving the time on all but 2 laps, and even on both of those I still improved my optimal time. I've got some hope now I might salvage a half decent result tomorrow, even with the lack of pace the Ferrari has.

I ran a few strategy tests in custom races yesterday (full 14 laps, 1 opponent, damage and penalties disabled), and it is looking like a longer stint on RHs might be my best option, at least theoretically. 6RH-8RM was my best time, but 5RH-9RM and 7RH-7RM were both pretty close. Of course, all my tests on shorter stints was done on Sunday, when I was still getting used to driving on the track, so it is hard to draw any strong conclusions. I might go back and re-test the 4RH-10RM strategy, yet, to see if that changes anything.

Anyways, in the race I think I'll try out one of these longer stints on RH, aiming for 6RH-8RM. I expect few other drivers will be taking this approach so I hope it might get me some extra clean air. Which compound I start with will depend on where I qualify. If I'm in the top 5, I'll start on RMs and try to stick with the front pack to build up a lead. If I start further back, I'll start on RH and save the RMs for when the field has spread out a bit.

Like @JDMKING13, I expect that wall collisions -- penalties and damage (thankfully light in GT2) -- are going to play a big role in the outcome of the race, so I'll be doing my best to minimize how many I have. There's not much I can do about other drivers, but for my part, I'll try to leave some space to the car ahead and avoid getting into any battles on the mountain.

That's the plan, anyways. We'll see what happens come race time.

Need some help here as I’m really confused with people strategies for Bathurst….?

So I’ve just done a run to see how my setup feels and also the tyre wear. The weather settings are hard to replicate as it between sunrise and early morning, so results might be slightly different, but should be ok.

So average lap times for me are 2.05.5ish (race run) on mediums, and mediums lasted 13 laps, with a 1 lap hard. Is that right? As I seen a few doing 9/10/11 on mediums the rest on hards?

One thing I do know are the wall penalties are harsh, slight touch and you get 1.5 pen.

Need some help here as I’m really confused with people strategies for Bathurst….?

So I’ve just done a run to see how my setup feels and also the tyre wear. The weather settings are hard to replicate as it between sunrise and early morning, so results might be slightly different, but should be ok.

So average lap times for me are 2.05.5ish (race run) on mediums, and mediums lasted 13 laps, with a 1 lap hard. Is that right? As I seen a few doing 9/10/11 on mediums the rest on hards?

One thing I do know are the wall penalties are harsh, slight touch and you get 1.5 pen.
I honestly have no idea. I haven't got the time to really figure it out.

All I am planning on doing it running a handful of practice laps on the RH tires (something like 5-10) until I see a good average pace. In race, once my RM times get to be about where the RH pace is, pit then. I have a feeling it will be 13x RMs and 1x RH (car dependent).

Last edited:

TBH I need to practice the course a bit more to drop a couple of seconds even for qualifying.

I can run clean consistently and not clip walls but my fastest lap last night in race was 2:05.8, average about 2:07ish also various with traffic and my FP lap is at 2:04.8 so definitely need to find where to pick it up a bit. Slooowww and steady 🐢

My tire testing was only to get a rough idea of where time was added or handling affected.
Hards were ~2 seconds slower in the early laps with full fuel and progressively faster to ultimately land about a second slower than mediums.

Using hards on the final laps, they were more predictable than the mediums that I changed after lap 10 and the hards produced about the same lap time for me straight away for the final laps. For me after 10 laps on mediums I had to adjust driving a bit to avoid messing up and the down hill curves like to send a 911 through backwards if you slip up 😂
That could be good for a thousand point turn and at least 9 seconds of penalty as you hit the walls multiple times.

My testing is using the 911 so definitely different for everyone and my main objective was to find when I wanted to plan a pit and have latitude to change my lap count on each compound up or down a bit by knowing how each tire lasts vs handing and lap times.

One thing I did was custom race 2x on tires and fuel so only 7 laps in which I ran all medium then all hard to see how they felt braking and corners.

To truly dial in I went to a lobby and ran 14 laps with peeps to get the full effect 😉

Races are coming up soon. Best of luck, everyone! May your travels through the mountains be swift, with nary a glance of the walls.

I started using Praiano's tune for the RX-VISION last night. I'm faster with it than with the stock tune, but somehow it still isn't feeling quite right. I might spend a bit of time fine tuning it before the race.

But mainly I'm going to be focusing on doing full Custom Races with a full field of cars and all the penalties and damage turned on.

Was able to do some practice laps. Nothing fancy (aka no custom races with tire wear) and best I was able to manage was an 02.7 in the Ford GT 18. That's about a second slower than where I'd like to be. This track doesn't like me. The Mustang feels good on everything but the infield; it's stable but it struggles there. The GT 18 feels much better in the infield but doesn't come out of the turns as well.

The Lambo feels okay everywhere but great nowhere. Jack of all trades, and all that.

Best part of my mini lapping session was learning where to brake for the pits... cuz I sure did it wrong a lot of times. One time I got a 5.0s pen when I exited! Like, yea I went over the line on entrance... but what was the extra 2.0s for?

Anyway, likely all I got until race day. Will be a shrimp show. At least the track layout is easy to remember: straight, straight, death, straight, straight, repeat. Good luck, all!

Was able to do some practice laps. Nothing fancy (aka no custom races with tire wear) and best I was able to manage was an 02.7 in the Ford GT 18. That's about a second slower than where I'd like to be. This track doesn't like me. The Mustang feels good on everything but the infield; it's stable but it struggles there. The GT 18 feels much better in the infield but doesn't come out of the turns as well.

The Lambo feels okay everywhere but great nowhere. Jack of all trades, and all that.

Best part of my mini lapping session was learning where to brake for the pits... cuz I sure did it wrong a lot of times. One time I got a 5.0s pen when I exited! Like, yea I went over the line on entrance... but what was the extra 2.0s for?

Anyway, likely all I got until race day. Will be a shrimp show. At least the track layout is easy to remember: straight, straight, death, straight, straight, repeat. Good luck, all!
You running a tune on your Lambo?… and if so, mind sharing?

Just got back from practicing for my IRL desert race this Sunday. Gonna try to spin some laps to get ready for my virtual races tomorrow 😎

I just tried a custom race at Bathurst.
I love this track but this is the first time I’ve ever driven it with a covering of ice!

My strategy in the 650s is going to be very simple; drive around without worrying about the race and hope lots of people rage quit and bump me up the rankings.

The McLaren is slow around this track BUT it also has terrible tyre issues.

The wear isn’t too bad, but as soon as you get to 2/3 wear on the rear right it will no longer take the dipper and I end up in the wall on every lap.

That is only a slightly worse option than driving on the hard tyres though.

I’m not sure this round will be much fun.

Imagine we're all driving at our best in todays race and this happens:

Bathurst.jpg
Bathurst 2.jpg

Imagine the scenes...

By the way, strange choice, those 1.5 wall penalties...
Hitting the wall on this track is already a penalty in itself (especially in GT1 with heavy damage) and it's not like i'm hitting the wall to gain an advantage or because i think it's funny lol. Normally i try to stay positive, but i already know atleast one of the slots i'm going to enter is going to be a ****show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just remembered one issue with Bathurst in the past. As the tracks quite narrow, when cars serving a penalty de-ghost if they don't keep to one side it can very dicey when you catch them doing full pelt down Conrod, especially if you catch them near the kink. Combined with the expected numerous 1.5s wall penalties this could get very very messy.

Managed a few laps in FP. My pace feels OK, but I expect carnage and the Stewards to hand out wall penalties like Oprah and cheap cars.

Game Of Thrones You Get A Car GIF by Digg

@Talon16 - Thanks for reminding me I need to practice the pit entry/exit. I don't think I've ever had to pit at this track before.

I suspect I'll try a similar strategy to @Moose78 - Start on the RM if I'm at the front. RH otherwise then undercut for the RM early to let the traffic thin out. You do not want to get caught up in traffic if things get sideways on the mountain sections.

That didn't go too well.
Qualified 3rd with a cautious lap, so a pole wasn't out of question.
After start I got hit from behind and found myself on the gravel and around 11th.
Worked my way through the field getting few penalties along the way, up to 4th.
Two stupid mistakes when I was alone on track and I spun twice, many seconds lost.
Then I stayed a lap too long on RM, should pit in at the end of lap 10. Going from bad to worse I was too quick to hit a button choosing the tire type and ended with IMs for one lap 🤦‍♂️ loosing one place as a consequence.
Rest of the race went uneventful. Crossed the line 7th, thanks to the poor fools that didn't know about mandatory tire change finished 5th.

Oh and Ferrari 458 Italia works very well on default settings, other settings I tried (like Praiano's) made the car worse.

I seem to be the Charles Leclerc of the GT2 world.

Surprised my first effort was good enough for provisional pole. I had then caught a Ferrari who had issues along the Mountain straight and given my next first split was down by 0.2 seconds I decided to back out for both our sakes. Thankfully nobody else was able to best me and I had my 2nd pole of the season and 2nd pole with the M6.

I decided to start on the meds and see how bad the tyre wear is before stopping.
I get a better run through Hells and have a 0.9 second lead over the 2 GT-R's behind into Griffiths. However going up the mountain is my weakness here but going down is a lot better for me. So they close up but I extend it out of the Dipper. I understeer into Forest Elbow and buttocks clenched I make it through unscathed. Thankfully the P2 GT-R has a penalty and drops right down Over the next couple of laps I slowly extend my lead over the GT-R and 911 behind. Then lap 4 I go wide into the Chase and loose all my lead allowing the GT-R alongside on the run down to Murray's.
8815b834cdbb03be3274e486377e5a00_photo.webp
I cover the inside but my dirty tyres once again drift me wide allowing the GT-R to 'old switcheroo'. The 911 then follows suit into Hells.

I drop some time again over the first part of the lap both due to going up the mountain and dirty tyres. However they are squabbling and I am hoping for an accident. Whilst there is some side to side contact nothing comes of it and no wall grazes either. The 911 runs wide into the Chase whilst overtaking and I'm back through. He gets me back into Griffiths. Eventually he gets past the GT-R who is crawling through McPhillamy Park and I get past into the Chase. They then drop back and it is me and the 911 for the win. They are quicker than me and pull a gap to 5 seconds. My only chance is for them to make a mistake. They sort of do but I'm not sure what. I gain along the Conrod on laps 12 and 13 (I reckon they cut the Dipper as neither gains are big enough for a wall penalty.) I am now right on them again as we both enter the pits on lap 13. The run up the mountain is what decides it and I eventually finish P2 just under 2 seconds back with a CRB to boot.
Another good result from pole and another close one in the end, though this time the faster driver won. No issues to report in terms of penalties or tyre wear. Pretty standard. Bathurst looked great in the sunset.
Enjoy everyone.

What it seems is needed is a change of attitude, yesterday I did 8 laps. 5 wallbangers, 2 clean, 1 almost clean until I ran wide out the final corner.

Today I went in with a different mindest, all about not touching those bloody walls. 7 laps, all clean, improving the time on all but 2 laps, and even on both of those I still improved my optimal time. I've got some hope now I might salvage a half decent result tomorrow, even with the lack of pace the Ferrari has.
Please don't be like the Ferrari drivers in my race, the made of for lack of pace by being dirty. I was rear ended 2 times on the downhill surviving the 1st but got spun on the 2nd attempt. Their whole race was this way. Sad.

Last edited:
Today's round and Rd.2 made me learn more about myself and the BRZ.

Rd.2 made me realised just how hopeless it is on the straights. But I guess that's the cost to good handling since I could find my way back to my quali spot in the end. But there was a Merc who somehow had the highest tire life in the race, and it wasn't even the leader!

Today's round was alright. Qualified P2 with a 2:02.9xx lap time. Everything was alright with no penalties throughout the race. But then I wondered, "when are we gonna pit?". And at lap 12 I decided to pit-in due to the fear of thinking that "pitting-in at lap 13 would not count my laps, thus giving me a 1-min penalty".

Turns out it was a mistake, and I've managed to finish P5 as a result. P6 if it weren't for the BMW in-front serve a penalty. 196 points was earned which was just shy of the 200 points area from P4. Was it disappointing? yes. Do I want to try it again? Nah, not really...
Gran Turismo® 7_20240106192121.png

Gran Turismo® 7_20240106192131.png

Gran Turismo® 7_20240106192139.png

Gran Turismo® 7_20240106191016.png

Gran Turismo® 7_20240106191025.png
Gran Turismo® 7_20240106191034.png
Gran Turismo® 7_20240106191044.png

I seem to be the Charles Leclerc of the GT2 world.

Surprised my first effort was good enough for provisional pole. I had then caught a Ferrari who had issues along the Mountain straight and given my next first split was down by 0.2 seconds I decided to back out for both our sakes. Thankfully nobody else was able to best me and I had my 2nd pole of the season and 2nd pole with the M6.

I decided to start on the meds and see how bad the tyre wear is before stopping.
I get a better run through Hells and have a 0.9 second lead over the 2 GT-R's behind into Griffiths. However going up the mountain is my weakness here but going down is a lot better for me. So they close up but I extend it out of the Dipper. I understeer into Forest Elbow and buttocks clenched I make it through unscathed. Thankfully the P2 GT-R has a penalty and drops right down Over the next couple of laps I slowly extend my lead over the GT-R and 911 behind. Then lap 4 I go wide into the Chase and loose all my lead allowing the GT-R alongside on the run down to Murray's.
8815b834cdbb03be3274e486377e5a00_photo.webp
I cover the inside but my dirty tyres once again drift me wide allowing the GT-R to 'old switcheroo'. The 911 then follows suit into Hells.

I drop some time again over the first part of the lap both due to going up the mountain and dirty tyres. However they are squabbling and I am hoping for an accident. Whilst there is some side to side contact nothing comes of it and no wall grazes either. The 911 runs wide into the Chase whilst overtaking and I'm back through. He gets me back into Griffiths. Eventually he gets past the GT-R who is crawling through McPhillamy Park and I get past into the Chase. They then drop back and it is me and the 911 for the win. They are quicker than me and pull a gap to 5 seconds. My only chance is for them to make a mistake. They sort of do but I'm not sure what. I gain along the Conrod on laps 12 and 13 (I reckon they cut the Dipper as neither gains are big enough for a wall penalty.) I am now right on them again as we both enter the pits on lap 13. The run up the mountain is what decides it and I eventually finish P2 just under 2 seconds back with a CRB to boot.
Another good result from pole and another close one in the end, though this time the faster driver won. No issues to report in terms of penalties or tyre wear. Pretty standard. Bathurst looked great in the sunset.
Enjoy everyone.
second place is still pretty good, and you have my admiration for racing on this track and getting pole!

Still, may I present this mug to you?

1704544066012.png

Seems there is a bit of an industry around Leclerc being stupid....

(just to be sure: I am not calling you stupid, you have my upmost respect!!)

Last edited:
I just tried a custom race at Bathurst.
I love this track but this is the first time I’ve ever driven it with a covering of ice!

My strategy in the 650s is going to be very simple; drive around without worrying about the race and hope lots of people rage quit and bump me up the rankings.

The McLaren is slow around this track BUT it also has terrible tyre issues.

The wear isn’t too bad, but as soon as you get to 2/3 wear on the rear right it will no longer take the dipper and I end up in the wall on every lap.

That is only a slightly worse option than driving on the hard tyres though.

I’m not sure this round will be much fun.
And how did it go?

Door 9 in the lobby, went into the wall at the Dipper on my out lap.

Tried again, got one conservative qualy lap in and started 7th on the grid. :boggled:

Started on hards to limit the inevitable damage-based time loss early. Sure enough, clipped the wall at the cutting and got minor damage and 1.5s penalty on lap 1. Stone cold, motherless last.

Loads of cars went in to the pits lap 1and I found myself in clear air. Ran 4 laps on the hards without any further issues. Entered the pits in p7 came out in p13.

Once I was on the mediums it was a much easier drive. I managed 3 more overtakes due to penalties or, in one case, a perfect exit from Forrest Elbow.

Once all the pits were finished I was in p8 and brought it home safely for 177 points.

Miracles do happen my friends.

Also, my tyres wore much less in the race than they did in custom races I used for testing. I could have comfortably done a 1/13 and that might have gotten me a p6. YMMV.

Car to wall: Hi
Wall: 1.5 SECOND PENALTY AND PERMANENT DAMAGE GET REKT SCRUB

So anyway, 4H/10M, race pretty much ruined in qualifying by someone with 4.0s of penalties just blocking the road at the Elbow so I was 1.5s off my pace at least in 10th rather than about 6th, finished pretty much best-of-the-rest with another RX-Vision - 25s off the front pack - and experienced the very mildest of DR uplifts along with some points. Which was the goal really.

Now screw this race, I'm going home.

COME ON!! Oh wow that was brilliant today!

So didn’t feel too confident at all before today’s race. The wall penalties and the nature of the track just put me off a little bit thought 1 and done today. My warm up went a bit wrong as I thought I had technical issues with my pedals, but turned out my controllers L2 & R2 were depressed against my rig and was causing the issue.

Lobby - 2pm UK, DR half A & B, I was car number #16. Points on offer 153

Quali - what a mess from me. So went out after 30 seconds to leave a gap, on the final corner I slow to leave a gap and then the car behind jumps me. I cross the line with 2:10 left and know that should get me another lap, bar no issues. Well I just clipped the wall, and 1.50. Now I thought I crossed the line and was able to start another, but the timer ran out. Looking back on the replay I see GT7 use a different start line to ACC so that why I thought I had another lap left. Anyway my 2.08.4 was good for P13

Race - I did want to start on hards so I could get the clean air after lap 1, but I totally forgot this. Race start was clean, everyone got round bar a few wall pens. I find myself up to P9 with the stoppers and the penalty takers. Lap 3 I’m P6 but this where I become unstuck. Porsche ahead was slow, like 1-1.5 seconds slow. I just couldn’t get close enough on the back straight to make a pass stick. Now if you my race back, I’m not sure if I’m just been too nice. I’m braking early and making sure to only make a pass stick when I know 100% I can, and I never felt like I had that chance. Lap 7 the oppsie happens, just took a slight clip of a wall and got 1.5 and puts me to P7. Then the kicker in the teeth, the Porsche who I was stuck behind pits and they were on hard tyres 🤬.

IMG_2863.jpeg

I get up P5 and on Lap 13 I pit for hard tyres. I come out just behind P6 but they pitted a lap earlier so had warmer hard tyres. I was unable to make up any ground plus I was happy to settle for P7 but I was sure it would be P6 and the person in P1 I thought never pitted. Roll over the line in a nice easy manner to finish P6.

Im so happy with that result, especially in the mix A/B lobby too. 121 points take home which is better than my Nurbs points so I have 2 solid results now.

Supra…. What a dream to drive. Seriously very surprised at this car. I thought I was pretty dodgy when I saw streamer use it all last year, but today I found a set up that was so easy to drive, felt fast and apart from the 1 mistake in quali and the 1 mistake in the race, I loved it.

Live Stream -

Back