Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
So, Friday was quite a busy day for me.
Before the first slot, I did ~2 hours of practice.
From the Dailies I knew that my pace in the Alfa 4C is comparable to the BRZ, so I gave that a try.

In time trial I managed a 38.2. From practice I knew the 6S/6S strategy isn't worth it and that the Alfa can't do 12 laps on mediums, so hard no stop was my way.

First race I believe it was 3rd split (maybe 4th). 2 Porsche's, me in the 4C and the rest BRZ's.
In quali I matched my practice time with a 38.2, however that meant I was dead last...
The race wasn't much better, on the start I gained P15 on the straight before turn 1, but lost it quite soon again because - as it turned out - that BRZ was on mediums.
Was able to stay with the pack of other hard runners but ran in the back. Only gained 2 spots due to mistakes of others, and only managed to overtake one car. Then in the final lap I gained three additional players due to other's mistakes, so P10, I believe it was for ~215 points.

For the next race I switched to the BRZ, as I thought it had more pace that I just hadn't unlocked yet.

Before slot 2 in TT just managed a 38.5, as the BRZ handling is quite different. In qualifying managed a 38.1, but still ran in back and started from P14.
The race wasn't great, as most BRZ's were on mediums, so again in the back. Only gained two places from errors again for P12 (less than 200 points)

Next race I tried the BRZ on mediums in the race, which went better initially - as expected. Started from P12 this time. But in the last lap on the corner onto the back straight, my front left died. With no front end grip I fell from P10 fighting for P8 back to P11...

By this point I was quite annoyed with it, so for slot 4 I went back to basics and went to the Alfa and the hards.

That race went better this time. Started from P11, got P10 into turn 2, which turned into P8 early on. Then I had a medium-tyred BRZ behind me, which I was able to defend against. Had some good battles and in the end it was P7 for 260 points. Good enough for now, but feels like I need to tank my DR to have enjoyable races again, as always running in the back isn't really fun after some time...

Didn't do manufacturers as I didn't have time

Last edited:
@MCL1974 Should we be worried about the avatar change?
Yes. Very......

I was actually considering to use the below image :D:

1662318022824.png

Last edited:
My efforts in manufacturer's slot one basically summed up my weekend. Put the wrx on pole with a 1.26.1. Started on softs, pulled a 7 second lead after 6 laps.... then on lap 7...a wheel on the dirt on the exit to the penultimate corner, I start to swap out, and manage to send myself into the pits for some Ferrari F1 strategy. Rest of the race on hards....finished about 8th I think. Comical.

Second slot was uneventful. Qualified 2nd with a mid 26 but was no match for the Porsche on pole. Started on hard, pitted lap one, had a couple of sketchy moments catching people who hadn't pitted yet and tried to block and swerve everywhere, but took it easy and held on for 2nd. 200ish points...

Looking forward to this week! I'm going to put some practice in, since I really enjoy Kyoto! Though it was the track that made me change from the wrx to the 155 for the Gr4 race, as it was much better through the chicane. I straight away remembered why I changed after a few laps! For me, the wrx is fast, but that chicane is a complete lottery!

Chupa's Friday was disastrous too with 2 network disconnections, as I mentioned earlier.

Last night during Nations Oceania his slot 3 went black-screen during matchmaking. He waited 40 mins. No dice.

So, he missed out on 3 slots over the two nights due to network errors.
I've had some issues in slot 2 and 3 on Friday. The warmup just didn't want to end.
We figured out that in both cases everyone but one were able to leave the pits. And once that person left the lobby continued as usual. I don't know if that person got messages via PSN or left on their own. Since that person never reacted to the in game chat, it was pretty clear for us that person was having a black screen and waiting for something to happen.

So, please people. If you get a black screen during matchmaking, please don't wait 40 minutes but leave after it doesn't progress. Chances are high that it is your client causing the issue, and you won't be able to proceed. On the other hand, the other people are most likely just waiting in a lobby that's perfectly functional for them.

Last edited:
Here's the thing 'though:

There were reports that peeps who remained patiently in such cases on Friday and also earlier in the year IIRC were "rewarded" by being able to compete in drastically-reduced lobbies in terms of opponent counts. The points were still there 'cause they were based on those who entered initially.

IOW, it's understandable that folks are happy to wait given the potential rewards. One lobby on Friday reportedly only had 3 competitors in the end. Guaranteed good points.

Last edited:
Is there any reasonably competitive option other than the 919 for Fuji? In the unlikely event I do take part in this one, I like to run my own cars and liveries, but don't own that one yet. Last time I checked the leaderboards it was a Porsche one-make.

Is there any reasonably competitive option other than the 919 for Fuji? In the unlikely event I do take part in this one, I like to run my own cars and liveries, but don't own that one yet. Last time I checked the leaderboards it was a Porsche one-make.
It may be a case of trying a variety of cars and see what your strongest match is, especially in drivability.
I ended up in the GTR '99 on Friday as it matched up my driving style well. The Porsche 919 is... ok? But I need to drive it a lot more this week to be ready. It'll just be similar to the way everyone went in the BRZ regardless of whether it was their best choice or not.

Any modern le mans car would be strong, especially with 4wd to help that bit of traction in the wet. I noticed that nearly 8 seconds spreads the top 10 times, so I'm guessing that eventually the track dries out and good times can be found in basically ANY car, making the leaderboards more useless for a definitive answer? Which is why I'll be trying out a few over the week and see what works and why.

I guess having DR B gives me the luxury of choice in cars as I'll still probably get a good result. GT1 league may be more one-make just like Friday.

It may be a case of trying a variety of cars and see what your strongest match is, especially in drivability.
I ended up in the GTR '99 on Friday as it matched up my driving style well. The Porsche 919 is... ok? But I need to drive it a lot more this week to be ready. It'll just be similar to the way everyone went in the BRZ regardless of whether it was their best choice or not.

Any modern le mans car would be strong, especially with 4wd to help that bit of traction in the wet. I noticed that nearly 8 seconds spreads the top 10 times, so I'm guessing that eventually the track dries out and good times can be found in basically ANY car, making the leaderboards more useless for a definitive answer? Which is why I'll be trying out a few over the week and see what works and why.

I guess having DR B gives me the luxury of choice in cars as I'll still probably get a good result. GT1 league may be more one-make just like Friday.
It seems to be drying sometimes, I had checked the replay of #1 on Friday and he was ~26 minutes into the session and the track was dry enough for softs.

I tried to reproduce it but it didn't dry enough - quite the opposite, I was getting close to having to switch to full wet tires.

The weather is not fixed so it will be a bit different from person to person. Which is really stupid in time trial.

Last edited:

There were reports that peeps who remained patiently in such cases on Friday and also earlier in the year IIRC were "rewarded" by being able to compete in drastically-reduced lobbies in terms of opponent counts. The points were still there 'cause they were based on those who entered initially.

IOW, it's understandable that folks are happy to wait given the potential rewards. One lobby on Friday reportedly only had 3 competitors in the end. Guaranteed good points.
I can confirm as I experienced that during the test season in May. Even caught it on video as I was streaming.

I had loaded in fine during matchmaking and was first out on track during the warm-up with a couple of other people joining shortly afterwards. Someone must have taken a while to load in because I got halfway around Fuji before the warm-up ending message popped up. When qualifying started though, something in the lobby must have broken because the screen went black for about 40 minutes. When it actually started, there were only 4 people left. One didn't stay through qualifying so only 3 for the race itself.

Dull race, but ridiculously easy 224 points just for being patient.

Last edited:
I can confirm as I experienced that during the test season in May. Even caught it on video as I was streaming.

I had loaded in fine during matchmaking and was first out on track during the warm-up with a couple of other people joining shortly afterwards. Someone must have taken a while to load in because I got halfway around Fuji before the warm-up ending message popped up. When qualifying started though, something in the lobby must have broken because the screen went black for about 40 minutes. When it actually started, there were only 4 people left. One didn't stay through qualifying so only 3 for the race itself.

Dull race, but ridiculously easy 224 points just for being patient.
The black screen when qualifying starts is a separate issue though, and not related to the one I was referring to. That only happens when joining the lobby initially, so before warmup.

Plus I haven't experienced the qualifying black screen for ages

Last edited:
The black screen when qualifying starts is a separate issue though, and not related to the one I was referring to. That only happens when joining the lobby initially, so before warmup.

Plus I haven't experienced the qualifying black screen for ages
I know, that's why I only quoted Monkey Man and clarified that I had definitely loaded in.

I was just confirming that the number of people who are stubborn enough (like me) to wait a very long time for the race to progress isn't insignificant. Whether they do it for a matchmaking failure is another matter though. The worst case of that I've seen was at the start of this season where my lobby was stuck in warm-up limbo for about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I know, that's why I only quoted Monkey Man and clarified that I had definitely loaded in.

I was just confirming that the number of people who are stubborn enough (like me) to wait a very long time for the race to progress isn't insignificant. Whether they do it for a matchmaking failure is another matter though. The worst case of that I've seen was at the start of this season where my lobby was stuck in warm-up limbo for about 10 minutes.
In slot 4 on Friday, it happened in top split. It took so long for the person to leave that they missed the final race. Warmup took 30 minutes.

Around 4:31:10 the countdown began

Nevertheless, regardless of that, it's really something that needs to be fixed. It shouldn't come to this at all.

Last edited:

Points yes, DR no. Had it happen to me once. Was in a lobby with just 7 players left. Once was in a race all by myself (Both Manu races). The latter never paid out. Not in points and not in DR.

I have skipped the Manufacturers race last saturday 09/02 because idk why, I was five seconds off the pace... Since the beginning in GT7 I was having this instability in my pace, but Laguna Seca was the track that it was more apparent, in most cases I have improved my pace, but Laguna Seca and Kyoto, WoW I have lost almost 6 seconds from GTS times... lol

I did a few practice races online for the next Manu, and it might depend on your car, but in my WRX Gr.4 I found that pitting at end of lap 7 or 8 for mediums instead of end of lap 9 was quicker. Fresh mediums are a few tenths quicker than used softs with the RF worn halfway. For me, anyway.

How are people running soft tyres at Fuji in the Porsche? Does the track dry out after a period of time?
Doing a long test now, rain stopped during lap 5, so about 9 or 10 minutes into the session. Will see how long it takes for a dry line to appear.

ADD - it’s bugged, lap 10 and the radar is completely clear but still raining and track is at 2/3 bars. Pointless carrying on or doing this round if we can’t even practise properly.

Last edited:
Doing a long test now, rain stopped during lap 5, so about 9 or 10 minutes into the session. Will see how long it takes for a dry line to appear.

ADD - it’s bugged, lap 10 and the radar is completely clear but still raining and track is at 2/3 bars. Pointless carrying on or doing this round if we can’t even practise properly.
Ok. Thanks for the info.
So basically people are doing TT laps potentially after the qualifying time. Unless you can pit at the right time im the quali sessions on softs and maybe get across the line before the time expires.

Yeah I noticed the weather radar wasn’t even working. Was raining but radar was clear

Its the same for us all. We’re all in the same boat, so to speak. :cool:

Surely any sort of driving in the wet is better than no practice at all? Random weather is also better than blue skies & sun all the time IMHO…….. even if the radar is broke.

I'm fairly sure the race is going to be wet the entire time. From the previous wet races, it seems that if the track starts to dry relatively early in FP, it'll do the same thing in the race, but if it's wet for a very long time (like this one), it'll be wet for the whole race. To see how long it took to dry out, I parked the car with the clock running in FP and left to do other things. When I came back 45 minutes later, the track was still wet and raining, so my assumption is that it won't ever dry up enough for slick tires.

I'm fairly sure the race is going to be wet the entire time. From the previous wet races, it seems that if the track starts to dry relatively early in FP, it'll do the same thing in the race, but if it's wet for a very long time (like this one), it'll be wet for the whole race. To see how long it took to dry out, I parked the car with the clock running in FP and left to do other things. When I came back 45 minutes later, the track was still wet and raining, so my assumption is that it won't ever dry up enough for slick tires.
I’m going to practice just doing wet weather runs. Qualifying looks like it will be wet for the 10 mins so seems pointless waiting 10mins in TT waiting for a dry track if this never materialises. I guess in TT you either practice what’s in front of you or you are waiting for a dry track so you can get your name on the leaderboard near the top.
Also if dynamic weather actually works, we could have a situation like we did in the test seasons at HSR and Spa. I know people were saying at Spa they had different weather in the races.

Last nation Race, after almost 2 years did some Race in Nations. A little bit rusty but was a fun Race. Did One stop softs/softs against 1 stoper on hards,did the overtake in last corner both of us on the limits of tyre degradation, also runed into some traffic, got the win, close one indeed.
1 stop was the faster strategy but i found the one stop more fun.
Bought Gt7 like 2 months ago for Ps5 and slowly doing single player content and trying to get some pace.

IMG_20220902_193917.jpg

Last edited:
I’m going to practice just doing wet weather runs. Qualifying looks like it will be wet for the 10 mins so seems pointless waiting 10mins in TT waiting for a dry track if this never materialises. I guess in TT you either practice what’s in front of you or you are waiting for a dry track so you can get your name on the leaderboard near the top.
Also if dynamic weather actually works, we could have a situation like we did in the test seasons at HSR and Spa. I know people were saying at Spa they had different weather in the races.
The last times they've used 'dynamic weather' in GTWS the race has copied the qualy session to a tee. Caught me out in Spa. :dunce:

also which cars are good for the upcoming nation race? it is just the meta Porshe 919?
It's been a bit hard to test properly but the 919 does seem the way to go - it was several seconds faster than my Audis, and about a second up on the Toyota in the wet conditions.

I'm waiting for the Aus/Japan guys to show us the way tomorrow before I decide whether to jump in.

Good to see PD have taken action towards this exploit at High Speed Ring, but it’s a shame they only focused on GT1 league.
In my race (GT2 league) I avoided the wall riding and finished P2 but P1, P3 & P4 were wall riding all race.
Probably GT1 because those are the only ones racing for something tangible. No one in GT2 or GT3 are making to the GTWS events.

Latest Posts

Back