GT6 Official Car List Impressions/Thoughts

• Thread starter Prototyp3
  • 987 comments
You got to imagine that PD probably have a stockpile of DLC cars and tracks ready to launch.

124 cars seems very low for 3 years of work, even considering PD's low staff numbers. And Sony made it abundantly clear that DLC will be available more regularly this time around, for better or for worse. :) :(

In all honesty, a $50 season pass for 50-60 cars over the next 6 months is something I would pay for. So as long as the DLC car choices are as well chosen as the other guys. 50-60 more cars could make a world of difference.

The cars they chose are actually quite good. I agree. It's just....there's still many missing and you got to wonder if they're either being saved for DLC, PD are terribly understaffed, or it's typical PD/Kaz car wacky car choices.

I still am baffled how it's 2013, and how RUF has been in GT since GT2, and yet not one new (premium) RUF has been added.

Personally, the cars are the game's number one selling point. It's that simple, for me, at least.

after reviewing Foxiols Forza 5 car list I have to say that I am pretty jealous. I'm not getting an xbone regardless due to it's expense, and my inherent distrust of MS but it doesn't stop me from wanting what they have lol!

GT6 will end up being a solid game but I know that I'll be picking up another racer be it NFS Rivals, Project cars and (of course) Drive Club as it will be free to PS4 users.

I have nothing against NFS, I enjoy arcade style games just as much as sims and PCars I really didn't care about at all until they made the McLaren deal, so that is now in the running.

Really hoping that DLC helps to round out GT6 car list but I feel like holding back these specific cars is a little underhanded, sure on the 1 hand it's a smart business move because people will pay for them, on the other hand other games are launching with some or most of these cars...

Jealous of 14 tracks and 200 cars in forza?? Tracks are critical in a race sim, forza doesnt even have he ring.... MS rushed that game out for launch and it will suffer

The CLK in Forza 4 doesn't look any better (a little worse in my opinion) than the one in GT5.

Do you even have a pair of eyes?

To be fair I agree with him. The Forza version looks painfully crude and unfinished and reminds me of the cars of Test Drive Unlimited on PS2, although it could be down to a lack of livery.

That CLK is suppose to have no livery though because it's the road car model.

True, it's just that race car-esque cars tend to look more realistic/detailed with liveries on them. Also I think the lighting is a lot more complimentary in the GT picture.

I like the day one list as far as the road cars go, I'm am disappointed that PD either can't get their house in order when it comes to getting more motorsport groups for the game or bad luck in general.

That CLK is suppose to have no livery though because it's the road car model.

Right, and I remember that pretty much either no one had a CLK-GTR or no on used it. I think you got it as a reward and like 90% of people just sold it 'cause it was UGLY. And you could modify it, but it just got uglier.

And GT5's version does say "CLK-GTR LM Editon" which is why it has the livery.

Also, speaking of staffing, Forza has a bit more resources, I would say, than PD. Turn 10 was probably given a massive staff from Microsoft and told to make a racing game that rivals GT. Which, they have. But...still...Turn 10 most likely created an engine where every car had an interior like PD did, and then they had a team solely modeling interiors. But...for Forza 4 that ended up being what 600+ cars a good 120+ of which were added later. PD would have to model twice that many interiors. And their team of interior modelers is probably a lot smaller than Turn 10's. Plus, as I said, some of the vehicles in that list would be very hard to find now, making the task of modeling an interior harder. (And, if I'm fair, Forza's interiors in FM4 weren't that great. At least the perspective wasn't. I will have to play FM5 to see if they are better.

I'm perfectly happy with the car list and with the addition of the Vision GT cars and the cars AND tracks that will be added later...GT6 should be fun. Plus GT7 is already on the horizon. The horizon being 1-2 years away, but...it's there nonetheless.

Now, I guess those that are interested, can have a sort of proper NASCAR TRUCK series. Chevy El Camino, Toyota X-Runner and Ford Lightning

Too bad it's not an '86 El Camino SS ;). It had the face of a Monte Carlo SS with its bed.

My first thought when looking truogh the new added cars:

More NASCARs??
why? There are many series out there :(

NASCAR is a sanctioning body, not a car. Y'all being the intellectual types and all, should know'd the diffrince.

Also, speaking of staffing, Forza has a bit more resources, I would say, than PD. Turn 10 was probably given a massive staff from Microsoft and told to make a racing game that rivals GT. Which, they have. But...still...Turn 10 most likely created an engine where every car had an interior like PD did, and then they had a team solely modeling interiors. But...for Forza 4 that ended up being what 600+ cars a good 120+ of which were added later. PD would have to model twice that many interiors. And their team of interior modelers is probably a lot smaller than Turn 10's. Plus, as I said, some of the vehicles in that list would be very hard to find now, making the task of modeling an interior harder. (And, if I'm fair, Forza's interiors in FM4 weren't that great. At least the perspective wasn't. I will have to play FM5 to see if they are better..
Turn 10/Microsoft for Forza use outsourcing for polygonal models.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt6/cars/

"...If you think in terms of short-time development costs, this style taken by Gran Turismo may sound inefficient. But the passion and professionalism of each members of the modelling team further strengthen the trust with auto manufacturers, and that is what ultimately leads to increased collaborations with them. Gran Turismo has evolved into a project involving the auto industry, going beyond the boundaries of a simple video game."

This part of the website in my opinion alludes to something ...

Prototyp and Slipz

GT5:
maxresdefault.jpg

Forza 4:
1998_amg_mercedes_clk_gtr.jpg

Again. GT5:
superspeedway-daytona.jpg

1993_jaguar_xj220.jpg

Actually, looking at these comparison shots, the old gen cars have weathered about the same through the ages in both games. The CLK in Forza 4 doesn't look any better (a little worse in my opinion) than the one in GT5. Andt he XJ220s look about the same. And both of those cars are old, filter-fed versions of cars from previous games in the series. Like I said, NFS usually has the best "filtered" cars. But that's usually because there isn't a filter. It's just an updated graphics engine...or the same one, same car models, maybe slightly tweaked...Yeah.

Now, enough about digital quality loss....'cause it's weird. We're in a digital age where there should be no quality loss...but obviously there is and the more times you copy something the crappier it is. That said, with the decrease in Standard/Premium ratio and GT7 seemingly being a launch title that PD couldn't leave alone, I would suspect that the age of Standards is close to an end. That said, I hope they don't go Forza's route. Because...I'd rather them build all the premiums from scratch and have 1500 beautiful premium models...which probably won't happen any time soon 'cause can you imagine rounding up some of those old car models now? If anything what will happen is we'll get the GT3 affect and go from 1200 cars down to 500 premiums. Which...I wouldn't mind at all, really.

Those are some amazing goggles you've got on if you think those GT5 cars look anywhere near as good as the FM4 models...Not even close.

I do have a general understanding just not in this case, hints my original question. So thank for explaining it for me in a mature way...it was incredibly helpful.

No problem. You did a good job yourself of explaining why the P1 being trademarked meant it was exclusive to FM5.

I am not overly depressed, like a lot of you seem to be, really looking forward to driving all these new cars. A little disappointed a couple cars are not in the game, Ferrari F12, LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Keonigsegg. A lot of those cars, expect the Keonigseggs, are brand new, I think they are not in the game (yet) because PD did not have time to put them in. So I'm hoping the cars I mentioned will be available via DLC.

My broblem is with lack of competition in latest PD's games and that's because there are no direct competition cars. There will be a problem for PD everytime they use full license for certain race types (V8's in Australia, F1's, WRC's) with all cars and some tracks. Then owner of that series will want big money from PD. Therefore they are throwing us just the little bits of everything. Wrong decision IMO. One complete series would be better than those bits that don't seem to have sense together. Typical PD's race pack of GT500, DTM, WRC cars in Tokyo? Nonsence.

If we do get DLC, I'd like to see packs that are themed. All Ferrari, all NASCAR, 80s sports cars, Hyper cars, all Le Mans, or something like that. That way it really feels like a category of car got a real boost,

i personally like the idea....problem with it though is you will find groups that just dont like LMs or NASCAR or whatever...so when that "pack" goes on sale you will get entire groups of people not buying it...

I also think the way Forza has done car packs is great...

- Buy the whole pack: slightly discounted
- One car from the pack can be downloaded for free by anyone
- One car from the pack is "pack only"
- You can buy individual cars from the pack (costs a little more this way) if you dont want the whole thing ("pack only" car excluded obviously)

Too bad it's not an '86 El Camino SS ;). It had the face of a Monte Carlo SS with its bed.

NASCAR is a sanctioning body, not a car. Y'all being the intellectual types and all, should know'd the diffrince.
Maaannn, youre preaching to the choir. Im from NYC. :) IROC 16's and lowered with that front clip and you knew the owner had a choice ride. 👍

i personally like the idea....problem with it though is you will find groups that just dont like LMs or NASCAR or whatever...so when that "pack" goes on sale you will get entire groups of people not buying it...

I also think the way Forza has done car packs is great...

- Buy the whole pack: slightly discounted
- One car from the pack can be downloaded for free by anyone
- One car from the pack is "pack only"
- You can buy individual cars from the pack (costs a little more this way) if you dont want the whole thing ("pack only" car excluded obviously)

All that and a season pass that gives you access to all DLC for a discount. That would help with groups who dont want a certain pack. Lets say theres 4 packs released at $9.99 each. If you buy the season pass for $30 you get all 4 packs. So even if you only like 3 out of 4 packs you're essentially getting the 4th pack free, so it doesnt really matter.

All that and a season pass that gives you access to all DLC for a discount. That would help with groups who dont want a certain pack. Lets say theres 4 packs released at $9.99 each. If you buy the season pass for $30 you get all 4 packs. So even if you only like 3 out of 4 packs you're essentially getting the 4th pack free, so it doesnt really matter.
absolutely agree 100%

Why because Forza has it? You do realize that Forza doesn't have exclusive licenses to every car right? The reason it isn't in GT is because PD didn't have time to model it, or didn't bother to model it.

Those of MS and T10 seem generally more receptive of PD to the super cars. Looking at what has happened with FM4, compared with the GT5 DLC, it seems more likely that the Americans also take Veneno, while we could not see anything so exciting.
Then as to the reasons, I can also agree with you, but the fact remains that T10 has proven so far to have more substantial DLC

Those of MS and T10 seem generally more receptive of PD to the super cars. Looking at what has happened with FM4, compared with the GT5 DLC, it seems more likely that the Americans also take Veneno, while we could not see anything so exciting.
Then as to the reasons, I can also agree with you, but the fact remains that T10 has proven so far to have more substantial DLC
Ok, I agree, but GT5 is a title developed in part after the release, Forza 4 is designed for the DLC.

I think we will see interesting things with GT6 because the situation is the same as Forza 4.

Those are some amazing goggles you've got on if you think those GT5 cars look anywhere near as good as the FM4 models...Not even close.

No problem. You did a good job yourself of explaining why the P1 being trademarked meant it was exclusive to FM5.
Not the best of comparisons, to be fair. The Merc in the first shot is a 'standard car', and each of the Forza shots are from selection screens shown in the absolute best light.

You got to imagine that PD probably have a stockpile of DLC cars and tracks ready to launch.

124 cars seems very low for 3 years of work, even considering PD's low staff numbers. And Sony made it abundantly clear that DLC will be available more regularly this time around, for better or for worse. :) :(
I'm surprised by the apparently meagre increase in "Premium" cars, too. My thinking is that they have attempted to bring the exteriors of the "Standards" up to spec, neglecting the interiors (and maybe some of the Standards outright), rather than focusing on making full Premiums with cockpits etc. Not that that's confirmed at this stage.

I'd have preferred it had they taken the second approach and maintained the Standard / Premium split, but it was obvious from the backlash that that simply wasn't going to happen.

I expected instead that they'd make progress on Premiums and simply drop the remaining 30% or so Standards. But, I guess they really like the car count (and it is the singular thing that makes such a game appeal to the widest possible audience, in absolute terms, ignoring "inflation") and they must have taken the consistency argument to heart, despite apparently not wanting to remove any cars.

But what they've done is a heavy compromise still. Just know that we brought it on ourselves, to a degree! If they'd have left the Standards as they were, there was potential for 200+ more new cars and no losses.

Now, assuming the lack of cockpits doesn't maintain the backlash, PD can concentrate on these new cars and offer them as DLC. There should be a car or two being finished up now, and next week and next month etc.

No Chevy SS :irked:, Chevy Volt :guilty:, Chevy Cruze or Cobalt ss :(, 2013 Camaro ZL1 or Z28 :mad:, 86 Monte Carlo or proper 3rd gen Camaro :rolleyes:........C7 Stingray :cheers:, 78 Trans Am :dopey:, 2013 shelby GT500 and Boss 302:tup:, 67 El Camino :), Nova :cool:....... Just my $0.02.

But what they've done is a heavy compromise still. Just know that we brought it on ourselves, to a degree! If they'd have left the Standards as they were, there was potential for 200+ more new cars and no losses.

I disagree with this part. I think it's PD that brought it on themselves by not taking the GT3 approach from the get-go and removing the content that was completely outdated. You can't expect the people not to notice/ complain when the difference in quality between cars in a car game is so dramatic. How they didn't see the backlash coming is beyond me.

I do wonder what they'll do with their next game on the PS4. Are they going to work on them further to advertise 1k+ cars again? Are they going to ditch them altogether? I would personaly prefer the latter, I think the premium car number, including the future DLC, will be at a point where there's no need for extra padding. 550-600 cars ought to be enough.

Back