GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,512 comments
Spent a couple dozen laps in the NSX getting my QT down for Race B, barely pulling off a 1:41.772. I refuse to believe that my optimal time is 0.600 seconds quicker*.

Race 1: Started P8. Got tagged braking into my favorite hairpin and was P14 (last) for a while. Finished P12.

Race 2: Started P6. Took advantage of other people making mistakes. Struggled to extend a gap to the Jaguar behind me - they might've been old, but they certainly weren't slow. Your name is a lie! The Scirocco in front was just out of reach - they also weren't slow, and I'm pretty sure they weren't a noob. More lies! Sweated my way to a P3 podium.

Race 3: Started P10. Had a solo spin and fell back to P16 (last). Worked my way up a bit, but couldn't avoid contact with a Cayman that got the esses slightly wrong. Finished P16 (last).

Race 4: Started P9. Fun race, but wasn't able to set up any clean overtakes. Finished P8.

Race 5: Started P6. Got shoved around a bit and fell back a handful of positions. Couldn't get past a troublesome Italia, and had to settle for P10.

Race 6: Started P8. Lots of people making lots of questionable decisions, which worked out well for me. Had a very nice last lap battle with an Audi TT, but they got the better of me in the end. After the day I've had, though, I'm happy to end it with P6.

*Dramatic Re-enactment:

main-qimg-71a4d1ca2ec6c6a23059a988d47f9b05

U guys ever have a car that qualifies well, but sucks in the race?
At race B, I got my best Q lap in the RCF.
Previously, I had only done the race with the Citroen, and it worked pretty well for me.
I tried some different cars for qualifying, and had the fastest lap with the Lexus.

I entered a couple of races with it, and got beat like a rented mule.
So I went back to racing with the Citroen, which qualified slower, and did well, again.
Maybe it has something to do with how each car handles the fuel weight in the race, which isn't present for qualifying???

Last edited:
Previously, I had only done the race with the Citroen, and it worked pretty well for me.
I tried some different cars for qualifying, and had the fastest lap with the Lexus.

So I went back to racing with the Citroen, which qualified slower, and did well, again.
Maybe it has something to do with how each car handles the fuel weight in the race, which isn't present for qualifying???
I mean Citroen is your problem.

It's a power circuit but crucially how early you an build speed after coasting.

The Lambo has immense top end pull 5th and 6th but it's a bit "drifty"

The G70 is just a different type of quick.

In a consistent fast lobby there won't be any cars that are Citroens because they ain't beating them being honest.

I get the allure of using quirky stuff but it all depends on what you want ? Hubris of racing a less competitive car or fighting realistically for places.

Everyone's mileage varies on this sort of thing.

Edit to address the original question:

Yes, I've used the supra many times to QT but swapped to other cars for race.

By the end of the week in as quick or much quicker than the meta mule used earlier in the week.

On normal days I don't think it really matters, on tuning weeks the difference is a bit more.

Last edited:
I mean Citroen is your problem.

It's a power circuit but crucially how early you an build speed after coasting.

The Lambo has immense top end pull 5th and 6th but it's a bit "drifty"

The G70 is just a different type of quick.

In a consistent fast lobby there won't be any cars that are Citroens because they ain't beating them being honest.

I get the allure of using quirky stuff but it all depends on what you want ? Hubris of racing a less competitive car or fighting realistically for places.

Everyone's mileage varies on this sort of thing.

Edit to address the original question:

Yes, I've used the supra many times to QT but swapped to other cars for race.

By the end of the week in as quick or much quicker than the meta mule used earlier in the week.

On normal days I don't think it really matters, on tuning weeks the difference is a bit more.
It isn't as bad as you think.
I assume you haven't tried it.
This is the latest top split race (about 5 minutes ago). I started 7th.
I understand it's America, and only 3 A+ drivers showed up, but I'm satisfied with the results.

It isn't as bad as you think.
I assume you haven't tried it.
This is the latest top split race (about 5 minutes ago). I started 7th.
I understand it's America, and only 3 A+ drivers showed up, but I'm satisfied with the results.
That's great work but honestly in he upper splits it's more the driver than car.

I haven't tried it, but no one in any of my EU lobbies have been using it. It might be a sleeper but in mixed A/B lobbies A/A lobbies and A/A+ (inc some tour drivers S/S) not one person was using it and these races were finishing 8:22:00 times.

All the cars are competitive the scirrocco being the really alt car for the lobbies I was in.

I haven't tried it to be fair but on balance anecdotally I'm not sure why I would.

Edit: Kie tried it and went back to the McLaren and I was I those races with him. I did badly but at that point in time
I'd out QT him.

I think there is a pace differential you need to account for in some of these things.

Honestly I can't see the French barge being the the go to.

Last edited:
Finally, on a Friday evening, I finally get 2 decent outcomes in Race B!

Race 1 - I Start in P7 with a certain Mr @newmedia_dev in P2. As soon as we notice we are in the same lobby, the banter begins! 😂 Didn't take screenshots of the pre-race lobby but managed to remember after the race! I am sure the other players had some questions after they read what we said to each other 😂 In terms of the race itself, I was instantly knocked down to P10 on the first turn but managed to finish in P7, whilst that guy actually took the early lead and won the race!

Well done mate 😜

View attachment 1360570
View attachment 1360572

Race 2 - I somehow get thrown into the deep end, starting in P14?! Once again, I am soon down to last (P16) but manage to finish in P12 after some close and clean racing with 1 driver and some sketchy manoeuvring from another 😅😊

View attachment 1360573 View attachment 1360574

Now that I've overcome my longtime lose-DR-o-phobia, hopefully I'll see you in a race or two soon. I mean, you and your secret crush, that Glen guy. I'd like to see if he's really as inspiring as everyone says... 🤣

I was stunned today by how much quicker the Lambos and a lone SCIROCCO were on the straights than my G70. It being fool-proof handlingwise in the chicane and the sweeping T2-T4 helped me out a bit, but, yes, I've lost some positions by speed difference, or wasn't able to stay with them even in the slipstream. So far, I've always done the races in the same car as the qualifying, but maybe it's time to experiment a bit...

Last edited:
One struggle about replicating my qualfying time in the race is just how early some of my qualiy brake points are and much I have to open up turns.

I am in the low 40s with a couple different cars and all of them require me to brake at like 120m out from the first chicane. People seem to hit me there when I brake for my max exit speed.

One struggle about replicating my qualfying time in the race is just how early some of my qualiy brake points are and much I have to open up turns.

I am in the low 40s with a couple different cars and all of them require me to brake at like 120m out from the first chicane. People seem to hit me there when I brake for my max exit speed.
Yes, that's something I have to relearn, too. I often try to drive as smoothly as possible, with good brake points, to gain on the exits. Which helps when I have to catch up or pull away. But: I got beaten today several times by other drivers just braking much later (and me giving them the space to avoid any mishaps). Seems like I have to brake later (which feels more "aggressive") and park on the apex when someone is close behind. Only section I was able to do that was the hairpin (in race B), in which the tight line is the quickest for me in qualifying anyway.

Seems like I have to brake later (which feels more "aggressive") and park on the apex when someone is close behind.
Yeah, in races you often have to take more defensive lines when someone's behind you, because if you give them a chance to put their nose where is shouldn't be, they'll shove you aside like a woman trying to beat you to the last purse on sale. (Yes, that was sexist, but "I don't care who you are, that's funny right there".)

So something I've noticed recently some of the streamers I watch who are B rated and move up to A and A+ mixed lobbies carry over the dive bomb tendencies that worked well in some of the lower lobbies.

After a while they start to improve their car control, patience improves and get better and understanding the dynamic of overtaking with similar or more experienced drivers.

The margin of acceptable overtaking distance shrinks dramatically the higher up the splits you go because people are much better on the brakes and taking the alternative exit line etc

This is not a slight on any drivers because poor standards and sportsmanship is rife in all splits! Just something I've seen esp the YT guys.

I'd love you guys to weigh in on this if you don't mind.

A/S lobby US servers second run in with this person and on the 3rd time they took us both out at the essess (similar scenario, push the guy in front to hard so they have slow exits vid to follow maybe)

So is this my fault? (50s clip)

I had a great view of the incident in the race before this because I was in p4 at the time when you two crashed on the esses in p2 and p3. I watched back the replay because I was curious and I remember thinking A. 2 and 3 wide into the esses is a recipe for disaster and then B. the Herbie VW was at fault because he couldn't handle being side by side there and wound up turning into the ebay car.

I'm a newly promoted A driver and definitely feel what you were saying in your previous post about B tendencies not working in A lobbies and I think this was a good example.

A/S lobby US servers second run in with this person and on the 3rd time they took us both out at the essess (similar scenario, push the guy in front to hard so they have slow exits vid to follow maybe)

The Scirocco guy blamed you? Really?

Well, this isn't even debatable. You didn't do nothing. Zero. Nada. Nix. Niente.

But you were there. Where he wanted to be. Clearly your fault. Just be somewhere else.🤣

And maybe you inspired him too much.🥳

Lol, for choosing a heavier car which resisted their pit attempt? They did exhibit skill in the way they laid their front left wheel perfectly against your right rear, after their return to the track, hip check, failed.

Your line seemed pretty steady and predictable.

The only good thing I can say about my last race was that I beat @Dep Fishtail. But only because he got hosed more than I did. Man did that race suck.
Nope, not your fault. He went off the track, and you had position but you didn't crowd him out. Then you gave him room around the chicane, and he just couldn't handle going side-by-side with you.

Yeah, that guy should've lifted before the turn.
Sometimes compromise is necessary if you want to live to fight another day.

***Hey, are you gonna stick around for a while? I can join you at race B. I don't know if we've ever raced together.

The only good thing I can say about my last race was that I beat @Dep Fishtail. But only because he got hosed more than I did. Man did that race suck.

Nope, not your fault. He went off the track, and you had position but you didn't crowd him out. Then you gave him room around the chicane, and he just couldn't handle going side-by-side with you.

Good seeing you out there again and I didn’t see Glen 🤣
Always a treat seeing gtp peeps while racing.

A couple of tough breaks for me so I will go do some irl stuff that needs tending then be back this evening.

I lost 3900 points in 2 races lol. A new record for me that I hope to NEVER repeat lol. Which gains came that easy 🤔

I am not as skilled as most of you and I feel the differences between quali car and race car are sometimes not relatable. It's only with some cars on some tracks. You start the race and turning in for the first corner, it's like a completely different car.

Good seeing you out there again and I didn’t see Glen 🤣
Always a treat seeing gtp peeps while racing.

A couple of tough breaks for me so I will go do some irl stuff that needs tending then be back this evening.

I lost 3900 points in 2 races lol. A new record for me that I hope to NEVER repeat lol. Which gains came that easy 🤔
I gained 3900 points... 🤣 just kidding!

They are sweaty lobbies this evening/afternoon but hand on heart better than the EMEA ones at the moments in the lower sharp end of that makes sense.

It's mental I can go from racing Kie and tour drivers in the EU down one split or 5 splits 🤣 in the EU and it's carmaggedon! Yet the US ones bar a couple of people who's ambition out weighs their talent are glorious fun!

Never thought I'd say that. By and large respectful (relatively) and just more enjoyable.

@newmedia_dev and if they report the language in that message you’ll be the one getting a ban.
That's why I run other accounts. Although I'm not sure Scum is offensive enough just an articulate non swear or derogatory message.

That could have applied to the lobby, the stuff in my bath, the person that took them out.

👍

First they took our insults

Then they took our books

Next they came for our will but that was already broken by this point.

Yup, the B lobbies. And the penalty system again. Two things to rant about (just a teeny-tiny bit):

I only had a tiny time window today, one race without preparation, so I decided to go on my second account (where I am, no, I was at maybe 98,7493 % B, very close to A. So, B/S lobby.

Very unexpectedly I was on Pole on the grid, with a QT of 1:41.6 (where yesterday my 1:41.1 got me on starting P11 in an A/S lobby). From where I, as often, got to cautiously through T1, P2 caught up and gave me a slight bump draft, which messed up my line through the esses. And so I touched the grass to much, got thrown into the left barrier on the crest of the hill and back on the road, but still heading forward. But I didn't get ghosted, and now P2 crashed into my rear full speed. I was like 'Oh no, now he'll get a penalty for my mistake, like I've received them numerous times.' But no, to my surpise, it was me who got a 5 sec. penalty for "colliding with another car". What? I mean, I've never seen that before. Penalty system really messed up, but at least good for P2 that I didn't ruin his race (i think he actually won it).

My race was of course ruined instead. I took the five seconds, fell back to P14 and tried to see how many positions I could maybe win back. One lap later, at the end of lap 2, already back in P10, because people were enacting a clownshow at the hairpin. I got the better run out of T1, passed P9, which he wasn't too pleased to see, and so he just pushed me into the barrier, taking himself out, too, in the process. Intentionally. I watched the replay. And there was a lot more of that rubbish going on in that race.
One year ago, I have been very fond of the fairness and sportsmanship in B/S lobbies. Has it changed since? Or was that an outlier?

Oh, and on a side note: is there a thread where someone explains how to get video clips of some of my race situations into my posts here? Without YT? Share factory? I might be able to figure it out by myself, but I'm slooooow, and you guys are knowledgeable, kind and helpful...😇

Last edited:
Spent a couple dozen laps at Kyoto Race B, and dropped my QT down by a massive 0.066 seconds, for a 1:41.706.

Race 1: Started P4. Had a major Lap 1 incident at the first chicane with an impatient Huracan. Finished P13.

Race 2: Started P5. Survived Lap 1 damage at my favorite hairpin, and tried to catch the lead cars - setting a very rare Fastest Lap in the process (my 4th in 165 races) - but ran out of laps. Happy with P3 podium.

Race 3: Started P6. Stayed out of trouble and found myself within a whiff of another podium, finishing P4.

Race 4: Started P6. A race to forget. Lots of carnage. I must have wronged a Canadian Italia in a previous life. Finished P13.

Race 5: Started P3. Everyone drove like I slept with their mom and never called her back. Well now I'm definitely not gonna*! Finished P11.

Race 6: Started P9. Took advantage of people being a bit too rough with one another, and snagged another P4.

*Dramatic Re-enactment:

8ba8b35f-b873-4652-9765-77cc4552615c_text.gif

Last edited:
Back