GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,713 comments
What a wonderful track Watkins Glen is to drive in Race C, like Spa last week I'm going to miss this one. I could go round and round there for hours.

EDIT also shoutout to whoever it was that recommended the TT for this race, I can't be doing going back and trying to find you, but cheers :cheers:

Was struggling to find a workable strategy without having to mess on with the fuel all the time and the TT just hits a sweet spot of pace, stability and fuel mix 4 until the last laps switching up to 1 and I'm shooting up the order now, just went from 12th to 4th in B Dr. Nearly won a couple in C. This car recommend changed the race for me.
Did you run hards for a no pit strategy or did you run mediums and then switch?? I'm having trouble finding the balance of needing to keep pace with the leaders but also save fuel which means I'm constantly defending to stay ahead of those behind me ....Race C has definitely been fun because no strategy seems to work all the time .. sometimes no pitting works sometimes you have to sacrifice fuel savings in order to stay in the top 3....

Did you run hards for a no pit strategy or did you run mediums and then switch?? I'm having trouble finding the balance of needing to keep pace with the leaders but also save fuel which means I'm constantly defending to stay ahead of those behind me ....Race C has definitely been fun because no strategy seems to work all the time .. sometimes no pitting works sometimes you have to sacrifice fuel savings in order to stay in the top 3....
Mostly running hards with no stop, just let people past on the opening laps, it comes back around at the end.

Of course a lot depends on how the race plays for others as well as to who might get there at the end, anf of course a couple of times I've been run off and it ruined the strat.

I did have a decent run from the back, dipping into the pits on lap 3 and swapping for mediums, refueling, gave me so much clear track and got me out of traffic but in the end I think only gained a couple of places.

Can you check it again? If there's still a problem, I'll re-upload it.

No, since this happens before the corner.
Still isn't working for me. Not sure if I am the only one, but this is what I see...

untitled-1-copy-jpg.1211075

Okay. Since you didn't mention any particular theme, I'll just exercise some creative freedom.
I'll get started on it, but it will probably be at least a few days before it's done. 👍
Alrighty. Looking forward to it! :D

How are getting so fast I'm still in the low 1:27, I just can't get fast through the slow turns on the top of the hill and after the tunnel....
I dunno. Actually knocked .004" off and now a 28.831.

So frustrated as I did a 28.5 but didn't count as the lap got negated for cutting the "corner" on the left just before the bridge. BAH!

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Mostly running hards with no stop, just let people past on the opening laps, it comes back around at the end.

Of course a lot depends on how the race plays for others as well as to who might get there at the end, anf of course a couple of times I've been run off and it ruined the strat.

I did have a decent run from the back, dipping into the pits on lap 3 and swapping for mediums, refueling, gave me so much clear track and got me out of traffic but in the end I think only gained a couple of places.
I just tried a medium to hard strategy at lap 5 and of course I passed people and some got a penalty for not putting on hards at all...so I ended up p6, also it was much calmer than usual for Race C lol.....

What a wonderful track Watkins Glen is to drive in Race C, like Spa last week I'm going to miss this one. I could go round and round there for hours.

EDIT also shoutout to whoever it was that recommended the TT for this race, I can't be doing going back and trying to find you, but cheers :cheers:

Was struggling to find a workable strategy without having to mess on with the fuel all the time and the TT just hits a sweet spot of pace, stability and fuel mix 4 until the last laps switching up to 1 and I'm shooting up the order now, just went from 12th to 4th in B Dr. Nearly won a couple in C. This car recommend changed the race for me.
I'm with you on this - great track! Tempted me back into the Dailies, after a few weeks of giving them a miss.

Only trouble is I'm a good few seconds off the pace, had a race today where the fastest lap was 3 seconds up on my best - mine was on the mediums too, whereas he was a no-stopper so obviously he was on hards!

Having said that, I've made up places in every race.

Re-post due to needing to re-upload the video.

OK guys, how should I have handled this? I'm well aware I ended up too slow at the corner, but that's just because I was flummoxed. This video shows my perspective, and then the perspective of the guy who passed me. The contact is from me, not him.

Anytime I try this move, and I manage to not divebomb across the track, the guy on the outside almost always beats me around the corner. Is this just an example of me not anticipating him and I just need to take a better line around the corner? Or that he's just better than me?

Honestly, this happens multiple times a day to me, and it's one of the most frustrating things in sim racing (for me). I just don't get it.

EDIT: It's possible the reason I often get beat this way is that I have assists on. But the question is still relevant - what's the best way to handle this (other than turning off assists - that's a subject for another day).

OK guys, how should I have handled this? I'm well aware I ended up too slow at the corner, but that's just because I was flummoxed. This video shows my perspective, and then the perspective of the guy who passed me. The contact is from me, not him.

Anytime I try this move, and I manage to not divebomb across the track, the guy on the outside almost always beats me around the corner. Is this just an example of me not anticipating him and I just need to take a better line around the corner? Or that he's just better than me?

Honestly, this happens multiple times a day to me, and it's one of the most frustrating things in sim racing (for me). I just don't get it.

EDIT: It's possible the reason I often get beat this way is that I have assists on. But the question is still relevant - what's the best way to handle this (other than turning off assists - that's a subject for another day).

I feel like you answered yourself, you just got flummoxed because of his presence and so you slowed down way too much.

He got a better exit through there than you because you were crawling, not because he took a better inside line. If you had carried normal speed with the normal line you probably would've had a fair race out the corner.

You just need to stay calm, its his job to overtake you, so hold the racing line and force him to have the disadvantage. Slowing down gave him the upper hand from a worse line.

I feel like you answered yourself, you just got flummoxed because of his presence and so you slowed down way too much.

He got a better exit through there than you because you were crawling, not because he took a better inside line. If you had carried normal speed with the normal line you probably would've had a fair race out the corner.

You just need to stay calm, its his job to overtake you, so hold the racing line and force him to have the disadvantage. Slowing down gave him the upper hand from a worse line.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably overthinking this. And thanks a lot - now I've got this song on my mind! :lol:

How are getting so fast I'm still in the low 1:27, I just can't get fast through the slow turns on the top of the hill and after the tunnel....
I'm always in the top 10 and I am having the exact same issue. It's so strange. I cannot modulate the trigger properly to get my power down. And massive amount of understeer.

it feels like he beats you out of the corner on launch, which is probably down to the assists. That being said instead of trying to come back towards the inside curb what about taking the outside line to get the power down faster? Hug the outside curb and you should be able to open the steering up more, which allows more power to get put down, which should/could allow you to out accelerate the guy on the inside.

I think that's where I'd focus my time if I wanted to get faster through that complex. Brake at or just before the 100 marker, hug the outside curb, and open the steering while you're doing it.

Anyone done the GTWS race at Spa?
Only did the last race as I didn’t even know it was on.

If your interested my race is here
Post in thread 'Gran Turismo World Series 2022 Discussion Thread'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s-2022-discussion-thread.406177/post-13893932

Daily Races
Been doing some Daily A & B today. Daily A is a fun race but the wall penalties suck! Completely destroys your race when someone else‘s mistake or poor driving sends you into the wall. Then when you get another 5 trying to get the car pointing forwards 🤬! Other than that been finding the AMG is quick here and the Jag.

Daily B, I’m struggling with the hard tyres. T1 is a bit dodgy and the last two corners Im struggling to carry the speed through them. Not really had much luck on this race. Only had 1 decent result and the others have been down to bad driving of others.
Im not sure if I driving too friendly. Every race on lap 1 I always brake a few meters before the braking point so I don’t hit the cars infront. But the others behind just don’t seem to grasp that concept and brake in the normal spot and punts cars off left right & centre. Everytime im the one who gets hit and is in the gravel. Everyone else takes hits but stays on the track. I just don’t understand it.
Next weeks dailys dont look appealing to me. Not a fan of the Mazda Touring cars plus I’m rubbish at Road Atlanta.

Anyone done the GTWS race at Spa?
Only did the last race as I didn’t even know it was on.

If your interested my race is here
Post in thread 'Gran Turismo World Series 2022 Discussion Thread'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s-2022-discussion-thread.406177/post-13893932

Daily Races
Been doing some Daily A & B today. Daily A is a fun race but the wall penalties suck! Completely destroys your race when someone else‘s mistake or poor driving sends you into the wall. Then when you get another 5 trying to get the car pointing forwards 🤬! Other than that been finding the AMG is quick here and the Jag.

Daily B, I’m struggling with the hard tyres. T1 is a bit dodgy and the last two corners Im struggling to carry the speed through them. Not really had much luck on this race. Only had 1 decent result and the others have been down to bad driving of others.
Im not sure if I driving too friendly. Every race on lap 1 I always brake a few meters before the braking point so I don’t hit the cars infront. But the others behind just don’t seem to grasp that concept and brake in the normal spot and punts cars off left right & centre. Everytime im the one who gets hit and is in the gravel. Everyone else takes hits but stays on the track. I just don’t understand it.
Next weeks dailys dont look appealing to me. Not a fan of the Mazda Touring cars plus I’m rubbish at Road Atlanta.
Yeah I ran the GTWS race at Spa. Was a lot of fun! Grabbed the Mercedes as it's my favorite of the fast cars and pretty easily drove to victory. It's a fun race, too bad we can't grind it :D

I'm spending a lot of time learning Road Atlanta and I love the MX-5 Cup cars but it 100% is going to be a penalty filled bloodbath. Between cars getting punted off through T1, then the hard and blind braking zone for T3, running through the Esses, and then the blind uphill braking zone for T5 all the action is going to happen there. Then you've got the run to 6, and then that little complex before the long run to 10A/B to relax, then do it all over again.

Will be fun if you're fast or last, will be a nightmare if you're in the pack

Just clarifying, lap 1, do you mean normal braking spot at full speed? Because of the start you are approaching much slower and can therefore brake later.
T1 at RBR I don’t normally have an issue. I can get through that corner fine, but it’s T3 & T4 were the issues are. It was cars are going 2/3 wide into a corner I have no were to go apart from brake a little early to stop running into the back of them and try and avoid a crash, but the others behind just seem to think normal braking spot is fine and use other cars as buffers.

Yeah I ran the GTWS race at Spa. Was a lot of fun! Grabbed the Mercedes as it's my favorite of the fast cars and pretty easily drove to victory. It's a fun race, too bad we can't grind it :D

I'm spending a lot of time learning Road Atlanta and I love the MX-5 Cup cars but it 100% is going to be a penalty filled bloodbath. Between cars getting punted off through T1, then the hard and blind braking zone for T3, running through the Esses, and then the blind uphill braking zone for T5 all the action is going to happen there. Then you've got the run to 6, and then that little complex before the long run to 10A/B to relax, then do it all over again.

Will be fun if you're fast or last, will be a nightmare if you're in the pack
Yeah was good race at Spa. Need more of them in the Dailys and GTWS.

At RA I’m struggling through S1. Just can’t seem to hook it up. I’ll ace T1 but then mess up T3, or mess up T1 but ace T3 etc… The S’s im not too bad through there.
S2 the two 90 rights just cant judge the speed correctly and then S3 the blind right over the cress catches me out the odd occasion. I aim for the red & yellow poster on the bridge as my line through that.
Did a quick practice race today and it was ok, but like you say will be nightmare mid pack.

I'm always in the top 10 and I am having the exact same issue. It's so strange. I cannot modulate the trigger properly to get my power down. And massive amount of understeer.
Not sure if it'll help you and @Trucker35 but here is the replay of my PB lap, now sitting at a 1:23.709. Currently 40th. Hoping it holds top 50 by tomorrow's end.

Still spending all my time in Race A. Had some really exciting races, with MYTH_Germano again.

I mean, what kind of knucklehead goes for this move? The same kind that's running a pink camo livery, that's who. But, I had a bunch of battles with this guy and trusted him. A lot of back-and-forth in this one, was really fun.

T1 at RBR I don’t normally have an issue. I can get through that corner fine, but it’s T3 & T4 were the issues are. It was cars are going 2/3 wide into a corner I have no were to go apart from brake a little early to stop running into the back of them and try and avoid a crash, but the others behind just seem to think normal braking spot is fine and use other cars as buffers.
Ok yeah i hear ya, you have to brake early or hit people, so you do, but preying the guys behind get it too......and they often don't.

I try and take the inside to avoid a side swipe but tbh it's a bit of a lottery. Often I watch a replay and amazed how close I came to being wiped out.

Yeah was good race at Spa. Need more of them in the Dailys and GTWS.

At RA I’m struggling through S1. Just can’t seem to hook it up. I’ll ace T1 but then mess up T3, or mess up T1 but ace T3 etc… The S’s im not too bad through there.
S2 the two 90 rights just cant judge the speed correctly and then S3 the blind right over the cress catches me out the odd occasion. I aim for the red & yellow poster on the bridge as my line through that.
Did a quick practice race today and it was ok, but like you say will be nightmare mid pack.
So here's what I'm doing. Dab the brakes basically just before T1 to settle the car into the turn. Hammer them as soon as you're straight for T3. Esses like you said are fine. T5 brake in a straight line and then hard left, carry about 80ish mph.
The back to back 90 rights I brake for the first about the 50 board or so, tuck it in nicely, hammer the throttle and then immediately brake down to about 60ish for the next one to get a good run out.

I try to exit 10B somewhere around 65-70 mph and then keep the throttle pinned all the way to the T1 braking point again.

My best time is a high 1:30, averaging low 1:31s. Not great, not horrible.

I give up trying to race at Red Bull Ring. Every single time no matter what I get punted for something out of my control, really don't understand what I'm stupposed to do on lap 1 while everyone's bunched up together.
I generally have a quick look in and then skip it for the week. I don't know how people have the patience to hammer away at it for a full week, it's set up for divebombers and shovers to prosper and they know it and turn out in force, lol.

I don't find there's any interesting elements to the track, maybe the middle sector double left hander, otherwise it's just heavy brake, pray you don't get missiled and go again. It's pretty ugly IMO. Don't get the attraction.

I think I was the one who recommended the TT. Try leaving it at FM1 and shortshifting. There’s still plenty of fuel to take you all the way. I set it to the side , though, and am running the Cayman now, shifting at the halfway point up the lighted rev bar and making it with no stops.

And yes, this track is wonderful. I don’t know why it clicks with me, but I had the same experience the first time they did Race C there with Gr3 cars. My first win was at that track, and now I’m midway through DR A because I’m doing so well. My quali one is even in the top 800, which I’ve never done before. So for whatever reason, this track loves me as much as I love it!

The pit stop is so long it’s not worth trying. The only time I saw it work was when an alien flew out ahead and had such a lead that he was able to pit and finish P3. But that’s alien speed. For the rest of us there’s no way to do it.

Most of the people who take off on the first few laps will have to pit and will lose the race there. Just let them by and keep driving. It’ll balance out when they pit. And then there are some poor fools who don’t read the rules and don’t switch tires and get the minute penalty. If you just focus on running your race and don’t worry about losing positions, you should do just fine.

I think part of the reason he’s able to get around so quickly is because he’s using you as a backstop. You sorta nudge his nose around so he can get on the accelerator early and get out of there. Not much you can do when people do this, other than take the outside line as was suggested, or move to the inside well before the overtaking car gets there and force them to wait for you. It slows you down that way, but you won’t lose position so it is a net gain. Good luck! That’s a hard track with Gr3 cars. I’m having too much fun at Watkins Glen to ruin my week with RBR.

I give up trying to race at Red Bull Ring. Every single time no matter what I get punted for something out of my control, really don't understand what I'm stupposed to do on lap 1 while everyone's bunched up together.
If you start near the front (P2 or 3), just try and get around the corner without smashing into anyone. Unless I'm P1, I usually go to the inside - not to pass anyone, but to make sure if they brake earlier than I expect, I don't ram them. You're going slow enough at the start that you shouldn't really lose any time if you go to the inside.

If you start near the end of the pack, just let the dust settle before hitting the turn. You'll gain places just by attrition.

But if you're in the middle of the pack, then survival is your only goal. Do the best you can, and know that after that turn and the next, things will likely clear up some. You'll probably get hit, or you'll hit someone. That's just the way it is. But if you survive, then it usually gets easier - not always, because there's always idiots, and it's easy to make mistakes with that many people around. Just don't let yourself into the sand in the upcoming set of turns, or it's basically over.

I generally have a quick look in and then skip it for the week. I don't know how people have the patience to hammer away at it for a full week, it's set up for divebombers and shovers to prosper and they know it and turn out in force, lol.

I don't find there's any interesting elements to the track, maybe the middle sector double left hander, otherwise it's just heavy brake, pray you don't get missiled and go again. It's pretty ugly IMO. Don't get the attraction.
Strange how people’s experiences differ. I’ve probably done about 15 race B’s this week and I don’t think I’ve been divebombed once. I have to strongly disagree that the track is set up for it. A lot of my races have involved cars closely following each other without ever attempting overtakes, because overtaking is very tricky here unless you get a much better exit out of turn 1.

The assists aren't a factor. If you had braked at the same spot he did, he wouldn't have gotten alongside you. You just braked earlier than you needed to. That's all. :)

I just had an amazing experience on daily race b, and with all the negativity many of us have experienced there lately, I just had to share this feel-good moment.

On the last lap, I was P2 and P3 was right on my tail (I messed up the last turn). When we got to T1, for some odd reason he tried to go inside, and he hit me. It was a really poor decision on his part, but I managed to stay in front after we both saved our cars.

Coming up on T3 (some call it T2), I was afraid he'd do it again, which I should have just let him do it, if he was going to, but instead I tried to block him by swerving too many times which I know is a no-no, and of course I missed my braking point, and he took the lead. It was all over but the shouting.

But after making the final turn, he pulled over and let me go ahead to finish P2. Obviously he had time to think about what he did, and decided he was wrong. He apologized in the chat, and I apologized for overreacting. He picked the "Let's race again" and something else to show there were no hard feelings, and I returned with "no worries".

Now, THAT's how we're supposed to handle ourselves. Not the incidents, but the playing nice and apologizing afterwards. And you better believe I have a ton of respect for him now. I don't really care where we finished in the race - we both stumbled to the finish line in the "human race", side by side and smiling (metaphorically speaking, obviously).
The assists aren't a factor. If you had braked at the same spot he did, he wouldn't have gotten alongside you. You just braked earlier than you needed to. That's all. :)
Thanks! Of course, once the turn is engaged, the assists can definitely be an issue. But I'm working on that. :)

Just spent the last hour having an absolute blast on Daily Race A.

Race 1 - Just a really good race from start to finish. Had a really good battle with the German driver and Portuguese driver. Started P10 and made my way up to P5. Mixed group of A+ to B drivers. Nice to know I can compete with A & A+ drivers. Still have a bit to do to be really competitive in these ranks.

Race 2 - Again mixed lobby of A+ to B. Finished P7 in this race but I have to say the first lap was top quality. Must have been 6 cars all with half a second fighting each other down the back straight and we all got through the next 3/4 corners in one piece. Has to be one of the best bit of driving I’ve been involved in.

Race 3 - All B/S drivers in this lobby. Started P7 and took home a P3 finish. Again good clean racing. Made a brilliant overtake into the hairpin (I think it was brilliant 🤣) to move up to P2, but I then made a small error in sector 3 which then allowed the BMW back through. Tried to make the move at hairpin again but the BMW was wise to this and covered me off very well. Good race again

Race 2 & Race 3 clip

Strange how people’s experiences differ. I’ve probably done about 15 race B’s this week and I don’t think I’ve been divebombed once. I have to strongly disagree that the track is set up for it. A lot of my races have involved cars closely following each other without ever attempting overtakes, because overtaking is very tricky here unless you get a much better exit out of turn 1.
I've had the same experience but huge Asterix, usually top split where people are better behaved. They can run nose to tail all race because you can trust the braking points of each car.

I agree with earlier comments that it's a simple track but I always do well at rbr, I can race some A+ guys whereas at most tracks I just cannot keep up. It suits my "brake bang on the money, wag the tail a touch, pivot high, point and shoot out of the corner" style.

Back