GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,041 comments
I'm curious how the matching Algorithm works. For a couple of weeks I've been mainly racing against fellow C/S drivers, presumably rewarding clean drivers with races against other clean drivers.

Now I'm moving up it seems us C/S drivers are getting pitted against B/B & B/C drivers, just now we had 10 C/S drivers vs 6 B/B's at Atlanta. Which doesn't seem very fair to us clean drivers, throwing us in the deep end against dirtier B's.

Having said that just staying out of trouble and letting the B/B's take each other out seems to be working for getting decent results.
I hated when I was in that scenario. I would constantly be the only C/S driver in a B/B & B/C lobby. It was terrible. I cautious with my DR and SR now because my B/S rating is important to me in order to get matched with drivers of same DR and SR. I love the B/S only lobbies.

I hated when I was in that scenario. I would constantly be the only C/S driver in a B/B & B/C lobby. It was terrible. I cautious with my DR and SR now because my B/S rating is important to me in order to get matched with drivers of same DR and SR. I love the B/S only lobbies.

I’m trying to climb to DR B lobbies but it’s been tough this week at Suzuka. Keept making mistakes and now that I have consistency I keep getting murdered 😔

I think the thing that people slightly may miss is that you can climb the lobbies with 1-6th place finishes meaning you can get to DR B and S with just racing cleanly and finishing strong, it takes longer and requires consistency.

Losing SR is much easier to get back than DR. Whilst I'm mortified personally if I drop down to A SR I know a couple of clean races and it's S again. But if I'm focused on DR then I spend time not trying to get the best time in the world but to move as many dangers (people) behind me as possible. I also won't defend against faster/more aggressive drivers like those that weave 🤷

I flit from DR B to A and mostly maintain an SR S for reference. This weeks daily B has me at 800 but I've quit a few races which I dont normally just due to bad driving so it's hit my DR quite badly.

What I will say is spend the Monday doing TT to learn the track and car in the conditions PD set, it pays dividends.

I think the thing that people slightly may miss is that you can climb the lobbies with 1-6th place finishes meaning you can get to DR B and S with just racing cleanly and finishing strong, it takes longer and requires consistency.

Losing SR is much easier to get back than DR. Whilst I'm mortified personally if I drop down to A SR I know a couple of clean races and it's S again. But if I'm focused on DR then I spend time not trying to get the best time in the world but to move as many dangers (people) behind me as possible. I also won't defend against faster/more aggressive drivers like those that weave 🤷

I flit from DR B to A and mostly maintain an SR S for reference. This weeks daily B has me at 800 but I've quit a few races which I dont normally just due to bad driving so it's hit my DR quite badly.

What I will say is spend the Monday doing TT to learn the track and car in the conditions PD set, it pays dividends.

I know. I’m not even trying to win the races, but I can’t seem to get out of trouble. I’ve been killed twice in a row while I was in the lead. I would have let them pass but they just rammed me.

Last edited:
I know. I’m not even trying to win the races, but I can get out of trouble. I’ve been killed twice in a row while I was in the lead. I would have let them pass but they just rammed me.

It happens, but if you are going to let them past, let them past early and easily.

There isn't a magic bullet for these things drivers of similar pace and similar safety rating are paired. That's how it works, so for every mistake they make you are making mistakes as well. The most common ones are not knowing the track race pace wise, being intimidated by cars behind and not knowing how to keep pace or race awareness when an incident has happened.

I'll post a video shortly of an a lobby where a guy hit me and I raged but he was actually "helped" in to me...

It happens, but if you are going to let them past, let them past early and easily.

There isn't a magic bullet for these things drivers of similar pace and similar safety rating are paired. That's how it works, so for every mistake they make you are making mistakes as well. The most common ones are not knowing the track race pace wise, being intimidated by cars behind and not knowing how to keep pace or race awareness when an incident has happened.

I'll post a video shortly of an a lobby where a guy hit me and I raged but he was actually "helped" in to me...

That happens too, but these I’m mentioning wasn’t even that. They dive bombed me, I let them go, they went wide and hit me on re-entry. Nothing I could do. The game should have probably ghost them but didn’t.

On another note, I did some laps with the Mclaren (the car of the day gr4 and gr3) at daily c and managed a 1:21.5xx. Is this good for a C/S lobby? This track is such a thrill. And what’s up with American tracks tarmac. Can’t they get rid of the bumps? I’ve seen flatter super cross tracks 🤣

That happens too, but these I’m mentioning wasn’t even that. They dive bombed me, I let them go, they went wide and hit me on re-entry. Nothing I could do. The game should have probably ghost them but didn’t.

On another note, I did some laps with the Mclaren (the car of the day gr4 and gr3) at daily c and managed a 1:21.5xx. Is this good for a C/S lobby? This track is such a thrill. And what’s up with American tracks tarmac. Can’t they get rid of the bumps? I’ve seen flatter super cross tracks 🤣

The reason they go wide is they don't learn the track properly, and I'm just guessing don't know how to let off the brake.

I'm low B at the moment and my Daily B is 10:5 and my C which I haven't raced is a 1:19:7 in the M6 sprint

Ah mate don't talk about tarmac, the state of UK roads right now is borderline dangerous

*im 100 percent positive I had Sophy in my race.

I've watched a replay 3 times now and I believe that they are putting Sophy in daily races.

Last edited:

It'll put you in the top 10 for sure, maybe top 5 in your lobby given variables like time of day, region, etc. I'm C/B and my QT that's about a second faster puts me top 5 almost all the time, top 3 some times, never below 10 for sure.

As far as American Tarmac Tracks you're welcome, buckle up and enjoy!
Even our open wheel series runs on insanely bumpy circuits compared to what open wheelers and motorcycles are used to in Europe/Asia. One of our most famous races takes place on an old Airfield that hasn't been surfaced in any way since the 1940s though that's IMSA and not IndyCar

The most recent indycar race, GP of Long Beach is a street circuit that is basically entirely concrete and really really bumpy. Several drivers binned it over the bumps this past race weekend granted that's a temporary street circuit but if you've got time check out the highlights. Or the highlights of indycar at Nashville last year.

Even our purpose built road racing circuits are bumpy, twisty, and mean. Some of that is cost related and circuits are still drawing large amounts of entries regardless of surface conditions and the bumps add character so resurfacing, unless it's to repair literally falling apart and damaged areas of the circuit, just isn't a thing that's done.

Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Road America, Sebring, Detroit Belle Isle (though that's street not purpose built), all come to mind as really gnarly circuits where top level series race. Even COTA that hosts one of the F1 races in the US is extremely bumpy but that's because the morons who designed and built it did so on unstable/soft soil that is causing the circuit to sink into the ground and of course it's doing that unevently so poof more bumps!

Then we get into the bumpy ovals like Dover, Darlington, even Daytona and Talladega. Basically the series that run in the US dgaf unless the racing surface is literally coming up and falling apart, like this:
5de9cc673c49c.image.jpg

Or this:
Jeff Gordon Martinsville Pothole where a 12 inch by 12 inch slab of concrete was lifted off the surface by the combination of underbody suction and tire travel shot up into the right front nose of Gordons car and basically destroyed the front end.

If it ain't broke don't fix it is definitely a thing and lots of drivers (at least publicly) would rather drive on bumpy worn out surfaces than slick newly paved surfaces because it fits their styles better.
That being said, lots of these guys, or the older indy guys, came up in cars that go fastest when they're somewhat sideways, not through a more Euopean Kart --> Regional Formula --> F4 --> F3 --> F2 --> F1 ladder so when they're not all that thrilled with high grip billiard ball smooth surfaces I'm not really surprised.

EDIT: anyways sorry for getting carried away! I'm always so intrigued by the differences between American racing series and expectations vs Euro/Asian racing series and expectations. Very neat things to talk and think about :)

Last edited:

Careful with the McLaren. It qualifies well on RM, but is trash on RH. I could only get within about 1.3s of my RM time with the RH. Switched to the 911 and both improved my RM time, and was able to lap the RH only 0.7s off the RM.

Hi everyone, long time reader first time contributor. Has anyone had an anamoly in Race C where you definitely change to hard tires before the warm up ends but when you start the race the game has put you on mediums? It happened to me today.

Not that big a deal but it was the rarest of pole positions for me, naturally had to pit and ended up dead last before fighting back to finish 8th.

Hoping its just a one off. Might be a glitch with my connection as i did leave it really late before the countdown ended.

Hope everyone is having fun this week, I think race C is a blast.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, long time reader first time contributor. Has anyone had an anamoly in Race C where you definitely change to hard tires before the warm up ends but when you start the race the game has put you on mediums? It happened to me today.

Not that big a deal but it was the rarest of pole positions for me, naturally had to pit and ended up dead last before fighting back to finish 8th.

Hoping its just a one off. Might be a glitch with my connection as i did leave it really late before the countdown ended.

Unless I'm on a serious hotlap to end the qualifying session before the race starts I end the lap I'm on and make sure I'm swapped to RH before the start just to avoid this problem lol

The last race I watched on the Long Beach track, Porsche Cup, one of the drivers got stuck in the fountain 🤣
Happened last year and also this year. Last years was a little more dramatic with the entire car in the planted area. This year, the front of the car just got stuck in the vegetation and it took the safety crew quite some effort to get it out.

Did 2 race C’s again last night. Same result as Monday - a P10 and a P5. Been starting at the back since I’ve made no effort in qualifying yet.
AC139E94-3C04-4A02-A7BE-B8C8882B7115.jpeg

At Spa it was wet in the warm up, so I thought I'd switched to Inters for the start. Had a great first lap, fought my way up into 2nd. I was thinking that these tyres were making me the hero for a lap or two, but when it drys I'll be screwed. The track was drying but my pace was still good, then I looked at the tyre gauge and saw I'd been on RH all the time.

Yeah I'm leaving them on hards, my QT wont improve as i got in 1.18's by accident. I'm C level DR driver currently masquerading in mid B due to liking Road Atlanta. It wont last lol.

Did 2 race C’s again last night. Same result as Monday - a P10 and a P5. Been starting at the back since I’ve made no effort in qualifying yet.
Nice job, dude. 👍
I've done 4 A races from the back, so far.
I finished 2nd three times, and first once. The one where I got first place was against C drivers. My rating was B/A.

Without cherry picking, I'm probably naturally a high A DR. The win didn't feel good. It's like I was picking on little kids. :indiff:
After that, I went to race B, and cruised around at the back to get my SR back up to S.

All of my second place finishes were in the top split. The Miyabi race doesn't seem to be very popular, so most of my opponents didn't really have much of an idea how to do it.

Time for a rant as I cannot take it anymore... Polyphony should rebrand GT from Gran Turismo to Guaranteed Trauma! Frankly, that's been my sole experience these past weeks especially!

I put time and effort to try and get good qualy times and even more effort to ensure I'm as clean as a whistle!

I was 80% down the road to getting an A+ DR, which I've never had and was very excited for - something of a personal achievement.

Since Monday last week, I've seen my DR drop from that point, with the icing on the cake being dropped to B tonight 😞 after yet another series of races where I get smashed to Narnia and suffer consequences on my own. Dirty drivers keep going with zero penalties or remorse...

This is what killed me tonight:

I still wanted to race so jumped into second account (almost made it to A rating) and of course, just to make sure I know I'm being trolled, most drivers were clean and the racing was close and exciting! I've never been as angry/ happy like this before...

Attachments

• 1879ad63c7975-screenshotUrl.jpg
    1879ad63c7975-screenshotUrl.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 14
I know. I’m not even trying to win the races, but I can’t seem to get out of trouble. I’ve been killed twice in a row while I was in the lead. I would have let them pass but they just rammed me.

C/S to me is more about survival than being fast or knowing track etc especially when pitted against the B's with low DR. Someone will try to kill you for absolutely no reason, it's just going to happen

Today in race C I had a guy bin it in the downhill esses, nothing to do with me as I was just starting them at the top of hill. By the time he sorted himself out he was halfway down the following straight but I had caught up with him. He was ghosted when I went to pass, unghosted when I was along side. He immediately turned into me crashing me into to wall. He got a 4 second penalty and rage quit .

This all was for last place so nothing really on the line and I guess he was having a toddler tantrum.

Funny thing is on the last lap I passed two who got reset after taking each other out. Then got 2 more who forgot to use hards once I was over the finish line.

It was a wild race as I had binned it all by myself on lap 4 and changed onto mediums just to try a "not finish last" race. After all the drama I ended up 9th which given the circumstances I was very happy with.

The toddler tantrum person would probably have easily driven by me on the long back straight as my tyres were shot by then & I was in the BRZ which ain't the fastest (I think he was in the Porsche.)

Bonkers racing and just shows even when things go bad you should keep racing as you just never know how it will all shake out till you cross the finish line.

Last edited:
Time for a rant as I cannot take it anymore... Polyphony should rebrand GT from Gran Turismo to Guaranteed Trauma! Frankly, that's been my sole experience these past weeks especially!

I put time and effort to try and get good qualy times and even more effort to ensure I'm as clean as a whistle!

I was 80% down the road to getting an A+ DR, which I've never had and was very excited for - something of a personal achievement.

Since Monday last week, I've seen my DR drop from that point, with the icing on the cake being dropped to B tonight 😞 after yet another series of races where I get smashed to Narnia and suffer consequences on my own. Dirty drivers keep going with zero penalties or remorse...

This is what killed me tonight:

I still wanted to race so jumped into second account (almost made it to A rating) and of course, just to make sure I know I'm being trolled, most drivers were clean and the racing was close and exciting! I've never been as angry/ happy like this before...

I've found this week weirdly harder than Laguna for getting DR.

I've stopped racing as it's costing me more with a sub 800 time and a DR B rating

C/S to me is more about survival than being fast or knowing track etc especially when pitted against the B's with low DR. Someone will try to kill you for absolutely no reason, it's just going to happen

Today in race C I had a guy bin it in the downhill esses, nothing to do with me as I was just starting them at the top of hill. By the time he sorted himself out he was halfway down the following straight but I had caught up with him. He was ghosted when I went to pass, unghosted when I was along side. He immediately turned into me crashing me into to wall. He got a 4 second penalty and rage quit .

This all was for last place so nothing really on the line and I guess he was having a toddler tantrum.

Funny thing is on the last lap I passed two who got reset after taking each other out. Then got 2 more who forgot to use hards once I was over the finish line.

It was a wild race as I had binned it all by myself on lap 4 and changed onto mediums just to try a "not finish last" race. After all the drama I ended up 9th which given the circumstances I was very happy with.

The toddler tantrum person would probably have easily driven by me on the long back straight as my tyres were shot by then & I was in the BRZ which ain't the fastest (I think he was in the Porsche.)

Bonkers racing and just shows even when things go bad you should keep racing as you just never know how it will all shake out till you cross the finish line.
I got recommended this video and it's really good..and explain a lot of the perceived dirty driving.

Yep had that happen to me and cost me a bunch of positions because when I pitted I put the same tires back on.

Careful with the McLaren. It qualifies well on RM, but is trash on RH. I could only get within about 1.3s of my RM time with the RH. Switched to the 911 and both improved my RM time, and was able to lap the RH only 0.7s off the RM.
That’s really interesting. I used the 911 at Laguna and did so to start with at RA But struggled to make progress save for a couple of half-decent results. I then did a C in the Skyline meta and was easy to understand how to get higher consistent pace out of it. I then tried the McLaren for the first time this morning and won first time out in it (albeit because the first three took themselves out in the chicane on the last lap, but I was only a second behind them). Makes me wonder whether this is me getting use to the track as much as anything else - will go and try the 911 again. I should note that this is in B/S lobbies

Edit: I should add that, if you were to scroll back a few pages, I’d vowed to not go online racing due to concern for being hit and crashed into… because of this thread specifically, I gave it a try a couple of weeks ago. Guess what - I’m hooked (and a self-proclaimed hypocrite). First few races were rough (in part because the skill levels are much more varied in the lower lobbies), but gradually worked through it and now I’ve done 48 races with 6 wins and 28 top-5 finishes. As others have said though, the payout vs. effort is pitiful lol

Last edited:

Yeah it’s happened a couple times ti me this week. I think it has something to do with the load times on an old PS4?

Yeah it’s happened a couple times ti me this week. I think it has something to do with the load times on an old PS4?
They seemed longer this week. I either load in just as warmup ends or I load in and we are stuck in warmup until some guy leaves.
Also every time.I start the game I have to start, then shut down program then start again

Haven't had that issue, but did have another strange one at Spa last week. I was shown as P14 as I entered the lobby, but when the cars formed up on the grid I was in the pole position car, with a different name and Italian nationality!

The race started and I had no control over the car - got most of the way round lap 1 as a passenger and then got booted from the lobby 🤔

I had a single Race C, kind of shakedown do see how things are there, and it was an unexpected good one.
I started 13, moved last of the pack after the first turns to navigate through the carnage, and than made my way up.
I am happy about my attitude of not forcing, leave fast/aggressive people go, build from other errors or faking attacks to generate errors.
I just took a single too optimistic move on a guy who made an error on the downhill and tried to occupy the whole track to not lose position. I was lucky there as we get contact but kept the car in.
I also profit from 2-3 guys there were really fast, but discovered later that were on RM.
Final result 3°, as said, unexpected, probably not 100% deserved, but still... sometimes I also get some dead last not deserved.... so happy with it.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20230419232555.jpg

Back