GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,369 comments
@Dep Fishtail I had the same thoughts about Fuji this week.

I'm not actually racing as I'm away, but watching a bit of YouTube and seeing the 'pit-stop/keep tyres' option available immediately made me think "well if I was driving this week, I would definitely have to find a setup that favours minimising tyre wear".

I am enjoying the Lago Maggiore circuit so far in Daily B this week, although my qualification pace is a lot better than my race pace..it is usually the other way around. Thankfully, it is not a Mazda 3 dominated event like I thought it would be.

I just seem to be prone to getting dive-bombed, and I don't if its bad luck, or a lack of defense/awareness on my part.

What ends up happening is, I get shoved off-line on a corner via a parcel from downtown, and then after I have lost speed, the driver behind that one does the exact same thing next corner. This process repeats ad infintum. I was 5th on the grid this morning and got systematically bullied down to 14th by drivers just shoving me off line one after the other. Sure they get penalties, but that doesn't help my race any.

Any advice for arresting the slide down the pack once you lose momentum?

Last edited:
I think I've gotten the best time I'll get this week in qualifying for Race B, I've managed to get it down to 2:05.5. Should be good enough for top 5 starts in DR A for the rest of the week, I hope.

@TheNormsk your name is missing from my leaderboard!
That is an outstanding time you have!

I jumped on yesterday and got my time to a 1:06:651 and then joined a race. I QT in 7th but I was not able to match QT pace and I slipped down the grid to finish 10th. Annoyingly I was the lowest placed A driver and was beaten by several Bs. It was a clean race though and the driving around me was exemplary.

Annoyed I did more QT and got down to 1:06.250.
IMG_7521.jpeg

I’m loving the Silvia and have a really nice tune on it. Still, i feel off the pace. I’m having a hard time figuring out how to get into the 2:05s.

I tried QT for A and C and they did not agree with me so my focus will be B this week.

Last edited:
I am enjoying the Lago Maggiore circuit so far in Daily B this week, although my qualification pace is a lot better than my race pace..it is usually the other way around. Thankfully, it is not a Mazda 3 dominated event like I thought it would be.

I just seem to be prone to getting dive-bombed, and I don't if its bad luck, or a lack of defense/awareness on my part.

What ends up happening is, I get shoved off-line on a corner via a parcel from downtown, and then after I have lost speed, the driver behind that one does the exact same thing next corner. This process repeats ad infintum. I was 5th on the grid this morning and got systematically bullied down to 14th by drivers just shoving me off line one after the other. Sure they get penalties, but that doesn't help my race any.

Any advice for arresting the slide down the pack once you lose momentum?
Do unto others and all that.

Hi folks! Forgive me for the rookie question(s).. GT7 is my first serious racing game and I've only been playing online as of last week!

The A race in Sardena this week with the mclaren 650's, I notice that i need to start braking way earlier than everyone else. (e.g. around the 250 mark of turn 1, whereas others only hit the brakes at the 200 mark or so). I checked the replay of some of the top qualifiers, and i see they engine brake aggressively (to the point where i wonder why the engine doesn't blow). I drive automatic still, this wasn't really a problem last week in the B race on Sardena with the Gr3 cars where I fared better. It also seems with these 650's that you can progressively increase brake pressure as you get deeper into the brake zone, and also braking works better if you're sliding? I use the stock/rented car, if that matters.

Hi folks! Forgive me for the rookie question(s).. GT7 is my first serious racing game and I've only been playing online as of last week!

The A race in Sardena this week with the mclaren 650's, I notice that i need to start braking way earlier than everyone else. (e.g. around the 250 mark of turn 1, whereas others only hit the brakes at the 200 mark or so). I checked the replay of some of the top qualifiers, and i see they engine brake aggressively (to the point where i wonder why the engine doesn't blow). I drive automatic still, this wasn't really a problem last week in the B race on Sardena with the Gr3 cars where I fared better. It also seems with these 650's that you can progressively increase brake pressure as you get deeper into the brake zone, and also braking works better if you're sliding? I use the stock/rented car, if that matters.
It's pretty much just the gear abuse. Unfortunately, GT for whatever reason has never addressed this as an issue, so in cars with fully manual transmissions (not racing manual ones) you can shave off ~50m every braking zone just by mashing down the gears into 1st. It's a serious issue, and one they really need to do something about.

It's a thing unfortunately. GT doesn't model limiters the way manufacturers do, nor does it let you damage them like that.

Ignore the top guys, find the slowest ghost you can and follow their lines. Don't race them, just follow the lines.

With Auto you can delicately brake at turn in to force it to change down, but conversely in pretty much all races this week short shifting and riding a higher gear is the way to go at certain points.

So here is an interesting dilemma I am facing this week...

9 times out of 10, I am faster in a McLaren 650 in the daily races, regardless if in Group 3 or 4. This week however, I am significantly slower in the McLaren, just over 1 second compared to my qualy times driving the NSX or Silvia at Lago Maggiore.

That being said, yesterday I found that those driving the 650S had better exits than me with the Honda, and it was a battle to make up the time lost in the tight corners in the other sectors. Tonight, I hopped into my 2nd account and decided to test my theory of "stability over speed" and it actually worked!

I hopped into the MC and started P11 and as everyone else struggled in the corners of from contact (light and hard) I just kept my head straight and using the better exit speeds and experience (without sounding cocky) in knowing what to expect when defending, I finished comfortably in P6 (+5 positions) and with a clean race to boot!

Not gonna lie, it felt great :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 23.15.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 23.15.11.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 11
I suck at racing. Just can’t drive B this week even though I’ve got a decent QT. I’m getting murdered by Bs, whom I should be pulling away from and that last corner in my nemesis. I’m losing so much time there.

I might give the rest of the week a miss..

Or just go with it and I’ll see you back in DR B in about three races if my last race (5th —> DFL) is anything to go by.

Last edited:
I finally got a few B races in tonight and my first one started q11 with a load of B’s and A+ on pole. Racing was clean and I was making progress up to p8 towards the end of lap 3 and then my Starlink decided to unlink and I got ejected with an error message. 🤬🤬
Lost 1600 DR and the white bar on my SR came on.

Two more races after that and although extremely mixed c A/B lobbies I started q5 finishing p2 then starting q6 finishing p6.
Two CBR’s yet p2 was only good for 400 points and p6 was =
After the second race my SR was back to full 😁
Was pleased to have close and clean racing in all of the races.

I had been messing with a lot of cars trying to find a good at QT but something race worthy too. The Mazda just didn’t seem to handle at all so I didn’t want to race it and be sloppy.

I landed on the Huracan and bettered my qt and the best part was it races well too. I’m certain I can get it to a high 2:05.xxx after multiple laps in the 2:06.0xx but needed another.03faster 🥲

Huracan works well with stock settings and just used bb +3 to the rear. Seems like shifting from 8500 - 8700 it stays strong and doesn’t mind a short shift when necessary around 8350.

I was surprised to see many Mazdas. They did have their hands full and had to use top speed to recover from lots of sloppy incidents.

Last edited:
So here is an interesting dilemma I am facing this week...

9 times out of 10, I am faster in a McLaren 650 in the daily races, regardless if in Group 3 or 4. This week however, I am significantly slower in the McLaren, just over 1 second compared to my qualy times driving the NSX or Silvia at Lago Maggiore.

That being said, yesterday I found that those driving the 650S had better exits than me with the Honda, and it was a battle to make up the time lost in the tight corners in the other sectors. Tonight, I hopped into my 2nd account and decided to test my theory of "stability over speed" and it actually worked!

I hopped into the MC and started P11 and as everyone else struggled in the corners of from contact (light and hard) I just kept my head straight and using the better exit speeds and experience (without sounding cocky) in knowing what to expect when defending, I finished comfortably in P6 (+5 positions) and with a clean race to boot!

Not gonna lie, it felt great :)

Thats great racecraft! I am finding my NSX is not as good in the races as it is in qually - the poor acceleration and top end is leaving me vulnerable to dive bombs.

IMG_9957.jpeg

I really don't think I have the effort left in me to improve from here for the rest of the week. That coupled with being B/A at the moment and my race pace (and quitting) haven't helped me. Feels like a vicious circle.

QT well in lower lobbies. Get rammed. Quit. Stay in lower lobbies while I should be making hay.

I think for me personally I had a mostly tough time last week at Sardegna and this week in race with the lag and people looming behind me coupled with how much you have to string the lap together I'm struggling.

Work stuff is t helping but this should be my switch off time.

View attachment 1304034

I really don't think I have the effort left in me to improve from here for the rest of the week. That coupled with being B/A at the moment and my race pace (and quitting) haven't helped me. Feels like a vicious circle.

QT well in lower lobbies. Get rammed. Quit. Stay in lower lobbies while I should be making hay.

I think for me personally I had a mostly tough time last week at Sardegna and this week in race with the lag and people looming behind me coupled with how much you have to string the lap together I'm struggling.

Work stuff is t helping but this should be my switch off time.
Sorry to hear about the rough going.

So the lag is a thing atm?
I stopped after my third race last night because I was afraid the lag was on my end and didn’t want to risk mucking others races or getting disconnected again.

Sorry to hear about the rough going.

So the lag is a thing atm?
I stopped after my third race last night because I was afraid the lag was on my end and didn’t want to risk mucking others races or getting disconnected again.
I'm not sure it's thing but there is a difference in race to QT. If everything is stable you just adjust but it fluctuates sometimes which impacts mostly my turn in or over braking. It's subtle though. That said they were updating the TT and challenge stuff yesterday so who knows.

Can't really blame anyone though than myself TBH

Has anyone tried the Bugatti Vyron around B? A race last night there was an A+ in my lobby with the car and a 2:04 something QT and absolutely crushed everyone. Wondering if that is contender.
Will report back later as the top contender on my friends list used the Veyron. Been meaning to put some more laps in, and specifically with this car, but life has prevented that thus far. Hoping to rectify that this evening...

-OR-

You can take it for a spin and let us know. Seriously, been dying to try it for B. If you've the desire/ability and can either confirm its greatness or save me some disappointment, it'd sure be appreciated.😁

:cheers:

EDIT: Scrap that, don't use it. You're one of the people I'm always chasing on my list. Arming you with something (potentially) faster is detrimental to ME, so, yeah, the Bug sucks.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Bugatti Vyron around B? A race last night there was an A+ in my lobby with the car and a 2:04 something QT and absolutely crushed everyone. Wondering if that is contender.
I did try it for a few laps but it wasn’t working for me right away so I passed it by like so many others and then tried the Huracan which I stayed with.

I made it work at Fuji but it took a huge amount of laps to put it in the the top 200. Race pace it was fast enough but the way you have to really sweep the corners didn't work in race as the Ferraris and MCL etc can see the open door.

I made it work at Fuji but it took a huge amount of laps to put it in the the top 200. Race pace it was fast enough but the way you have to really sweep the corners didn't work in race as the Ferraris and MCL etc can see the open door.
So perhaps good if you are fast and start on pole and pull away but perhaps not so good for a hack like me that is QTing top 5/6 but is currently finishing bottom 4 :banghead:

So perhaps good if you are fast and start on pole and pull away but perhaps not so good for a hack like me that is QTing top 5/6 but is currently finishing bottom 4 :banghead:
It's doable but it's a labour of love.

It's fast, but on the twisty bits to get the most out of it you are gong slower on corner entry so everyone catches up.

User_55 or something? I've seen a guy by that name with a blistering pace in a Veyron if I'm not mistaken.

I can see the appeal of the Lamborghini Huracan. It pretty quick and there’s spots where it is faster than the Silvia but others are slower.

The trouble I have with it, is that it is very hard to get a completely clean lap. It loses traction pretty easily and forget about full brakes unless you’re in a straight line. So far my best was a 2:06.5 with mistakes so still a few tenths off my PB.

For me, the Sylvia is still faster, and”safer” to driver, but it just doesn’t seem to do so well in the race.

Last edited:
I can see the appeal of the Lamborghini Huracan. It pretty quick and there’s spots where it is faster than the Silvia but others are slower.

The trouble I have with it, is that it is very hard to get a completely clean lap. It loses traction pretty easily and forget about full brakes unless you’re in a straight line. So far my best was a 2:06.5 with mistakes so still a few tenths off my PB.

For me, the Sylvia is still faster, and”safer” to driver, but it just doesn’t seem to do so well in the race.
Im struggling to articulate it properly, but if my experience with the NSX is anything to go by, there are car attributes that contribute to great qually times that don't translate well in race settings.

One thing Ive noticed is that the Silvia is that is has slow pickup from low speed. Not a big deal in qually where you are always maximising your speed, but in a race (especially Gr4) with lots of door banging and side-by-side action, its a very significant drawback that means your race-pace might not line up with your QT.

The NSX being another example - it has great gearing and corner speed, which counts for nothing when I am stuck behind someone parked on the apex in a race. The low top end also made me prone to being dive-bombed and either giving space and/or being knocked off line which then even further highlighted the acceleration problem.

I am probably butchering that, but the TLDR is that I think QTs dont always result in corresponding race results for certain cars.

Back