GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,154 comments
I think that's a fair idea. Personally I just have no time for the snow or dirt but at the end of the day racing is racing regardless of car or surface so I absolutely understand the appeal.
100% racing means different things to different people, the same with real motorsport I doubt there is much overlap between F1 fans and NASCAR fans for example, Gran Turismo is great that it tries to do everything but then they're all mixed into the same driver rating score.

That's not how a lot of people rock up to daily races. So if there was a race condition practice mode (unranked) version people could warm up to the pace of their given lobby.
I wonder if live qualifying would help that, as it is now you can jump into any race without even knowing if turn 1 is a left or right hander, give everybody 5 minutes to do a couple of laps or even a single lap with a rolling start and it will make things more fun/interesting imo.
Overall I this weeks C shows they mostly can address contact penalties (the wall ones are silly and over punishing in most race contexts).
Wall contacts and track limits should be dealt with differently, I think it was Dirt Rally with the rallycross that would save the penalties until the end and see if you gained time on the sector you went off against your other laps. If you're slower than any other lap there is no need to give a penalty.

I had been loving Race A, had many top 3 finishes.

The only problem is you have to use manual to be competitive, and I have tendonitis in my hands, so always drive with auto gears. I've used manual (paddles on my wheel) just for this race, and now have a left hand which is all swollen and sore, so have had to give up ☹️
That sucks, there are some cars on this game where you need to do weird things with the gears to be fast. Auto doesn't stand a chance 😢

That sucks, there are some cars on this game where you need to do weird things with the gears to be fast. Auto doesn't stand a chance
Hey, I still enjoy my racing, fast or slow - auto at least gives me the opportunity to keep at it 🙂

At least I don't have the handicap of using a controller 😉 (assuming that's still the way you're doing it?)

Hello everyone, I did some online races during this online trial weekend from Sony. I have to say, that was the most annoying thing that I had done in a while.

I always qualyfied in the top three. But the races were no fun. In every race was at least one of the contenders who drove zig-zag while trying to overtake them, dive-bomb into you after you got them and ram you off the track and into the wall. And I too got a time penalty for this.

This is no fun and under these circumstances I have no motivation of doing online races again, or behold, buying a plus membership.

I know, these issues have surely been discussed before, but I'm so ****** up right now that I had to write this.....

Well, initial impressions of the Fanatec CSL Elite V2 pedals are very good - I definitely prefer the feel of the brake pedal, though I'm not so keen on the throttle pedal. I have the Race Sim Engineering mod on my CSL's and that provides a much stiffer throttle.
I’m not sure what an overly stiff accelerator gets you? A sore ankle? Give the pedal some time, you can get very fine control on it.

I just tried some B QT in my new rig. I had to change my brake force from 50 up, all the way to 100. Everything is so taut there is no flex. Made me realize how much imprecision my old rig was giving me.

That said, my time was terrible. Driving felt very weird. It is definitely a different position from what I am used to. While it doesn’t sound much, a degree or two of angle here and there and a cm or two of height and distance for pedals and wheel may be needed still.

I know for the next two/three weeks I’m going to be dropping DR like a stone while I find my new driving sweet spot. See you back in the B ranks.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what an overly stiff accelerator gets you? A sore ankle? Give the pedal some time, you can get very fine control on it.

I just tried some B QT in my new rig. I had to change my brake force from 50 up, all the way to 100. Everything is so taut there is no flex. Made me realize how much imprecision my old rig was giving me.

That said, my time was terrible. Driving felt very weird. It is definitely a different position from what I am used to. While it doesn’t sound much, a degree or two of angle here and there and a cm or two of height and distance for pedals and wheel may be needed still.

I know for the next two/three weeks I’m going to be dropping DR like a strong while I find my new driving sweet spot. See you back in the B ranks.
Heh heh, well it's not quite load cell stiff, but just a nice bit of feel as the throttle was increased. I'm sure I'll adapt to the new ones though. With the heavier base and feet now sitting slightly higher, I'm likely going to have to shift the seat and wheel slightly 'til I get comfortable again.

I'll be in B again soon - keep getting involved in accidents at Trial Mountain :indiff:

Hello everyone, I did some online races during this online trial weekend from Sony. I have to say, that was the most annoying thing that I had done in a while.

I always qualyfied in the top three. But the races were no fun. In every race was at least one of the contenders who drove zig-zag while trying to overtake them, dive-bomb into you after you got them and ram you off the track and into the wall. And I too got a time penalty for this.

This is no fun and under these circumstances I have no motivation of doing online races again, or behold, buying a plus membership.

I know, these issues have surely been discussed before, but I'm so ****** up right now that I had to write this.....
I'm not surprised, online racing can either be the best or the absolute worst depending on who you're racing against. Since you're new you'll have a low driver rating and be put in against the people with next to no car control or understanding of basic racecraft, they'll overdrive the entry to almost every corner and you'll have to dive out the way or have a crash. It seems to get better once you get to the top half of DR B.

You should know by now that I'm stubborn enough to never change whether it's working or not 😂
I know you were probably being facetious, at least to some degree, but I have a different take on this (and I'm talking in generalities, not the specific subject being discussed). Why not try something new if it might help? I'll admit I don't stick with something for long if it doesn't immediately seem to help, but not trying something at all seems kind of silly, depending on the potential consequences of course.

For example, my current preference of BB at -2 with the R.S.01. From what I've read, it seemed that everyone changed BB to the rear (if they changed it at all). But I saw a video about BB in general, and I wondered if in this particular race, going the other direction might help. And sure enough, it did, at least for me.

But what do I know - I'm just a sometimes-grumpy, but always old, man. :lol:

Try and hang in there - keep racing racing cleanly and avoid carnage and your sportsmanship rating will increase to S (you don't need to be winning races) where you'll generally (but not always!) have decent like-minded racers. If you're in with drivers with an SR of B or C just let them take each other off and concentrate on finishing the races and you should see your SR go up at the end. However tempting it is, don't rage-quit races as it will have a negative affect on your ratings.

Well 4000 races crept up quite quickly...

IMG_0011.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not try something new if it might help? I'll admit I don't stick with something for long if it doesn't immediately seem to help, but not trying something at all seems kind of silly, depending on the potential consequences of course.
Watch some of @GOTMAXPOWER 's videos, and you'll see he doesn't need to try anything new, nor does he need any help - he's one of the best and fastest drivers on this forum, all with a controller! 🙂

Watch some of @GOTMAXPOWER 's videos, and you'll see he doesn't need to try anything new, nor does he need any help - he's one of the best and fastest drivers on this forum, all with a controller! 🙂

Just watching @GOTMAXPOWER take the escape road at le Sarthe and get 5 places was the highlight of his videos 🤣🤣🤣

We all come at this game from different perspectives and that is what makes it great.

Can I offer you tips? Maybe can Max offer me tips? Maybe but as long as we all share it's all good.

I know you were probably being facetious, at least to some degree, but I have a different take on this (and I'm talking in generalities, not the specific subject being discussed). Why not try something new if it might help? I'll admit I don't stick with something for long if it doesn't immediately seem to help, but not trying something at all seems kind of silly, depending on the potential consequences of course.

For example, my current preference of BB at -2 with the R.S.01. From what I've read, it seemed that everyone changed BB to the rear (if they changed it at all). But I saw a video about BB in general, and I wondered if in this particular race, going the other direction might help. And sure enough, it did, at least for me.

But what do I know - I'm just a sometimes-grumpy, but always old, man. :lol:
Experimenting with brake bias doesn't mean redecorating the whole house and spending £500 on sim racing hardware 😂.

I do get that with brake bias, I always used to go to +5 out of habit because the game feels naturally quite understeery on pad but since I tried further to the front it feels a lot better, at +2 you get almost as much rotation without getting into the ABS as early and losing braking performance. In general though with BB its probably best to just mess about with it and see what feels best.

You're too kind but I'm nowhere near, there are some controller players a lot faster too which is annoying since I can't use that as a excuse 😅

Just watching @GOTMAXPOWER take the escape road at le Sarthe and get 5 places was the highlight of his videos 🤣🤣🤣
PD patched that out 🤣 I swear it's slower than going the proper way round the corner but I'm honoured that PD watch my videos! And they haven't touched the Catalunya one yet 🙈

I just checked the qualifying numbers for Race C. A little early I know, but still interesting to see what people thought of the different race. There's ~43,700 times on the leaderboard.

That number puts it in an awkward spot where it's the most popular non-Gr.3 daily C since I started tracking this at the April update (they normally get 33-38k), but still a lower amount than basically every Gr.3 daily C (normally in the low 50,000s).

do get that with brake bias, I always used to go to +5 out of habit because the game feels naturally quite understeery on pad but since I tried further to the front it feels a lot better, at +2 you get almost as much rotation without getting into the ABS as early and losing braking performance. In general though with BB its probably best to just mess about with it and see what feels best.
Sooo it's an interesting one, and it's purely subjective and ability based.

My fastest times were with the cars all setup to default. That was good enough for a decent time in A/+A lobbies but not alien or fast pace by any means.

Maybe as I'm progressing the nuance of these things will make more of an impact but 3 lobbies today have had top 20 ranking players in. Their pace is unreal but for the rest of us I don't think BB was a limiting factor in actual race scenarios. We were all just trying not to hit each other 🤣

I just checked the qualifying numbers for Race C. A little early I know, but still interesting to see what people thought of the different race. There's ~43,700 times on the leaderboard.

That number puts it in an awkward spot where it's the most popular non-Gr.3 daily C since I started tracking this at the April update (they normally get 33-38k), but still a lower amount than basically every Gr.3 daily C (normally in the low 50,000s).
*sorry mods I couldn't edit and quote the cross posted message.

I'd imagine it feels more accessible to up and coming people in the ranks.

I'd also imagine it dragged quite a few away from B this week.

What this race has done is brought club/cup level racing to the majority in that it is tight but in forgiving cars (if you go LFA or M3) the oversteer was catchable the racing close and the lines that TM let's you take aren't over punishing and sometimes faster.

For all those that didn't try this race you missed out on a chance to hone your skills.

I'd even go as far as to say this race would have been even better with a tuned Nismo R400 and either a tire or fuel stop and 2 more laps.

But overall as a race it offered everything. Close, fun, length that was just about right.

I'm in the minority but the plethora of racing out there I just don't understand the fascination with Gr3 especially as 99% of us are rubbish in them.

Sooo it's an interesting one, and it's purely subjective and ability based.

My fastest times were with the cars all setup to default. That was good enough for a decent time in A/+A lobbies but not alien or fast pace by any means.

Maybe as I'm progressing the nuance of these things will make more of an impact but 3 lobbies today have had top 20 ranking players in. Their pace is unreal but for the rest of us I don't think BB was a limiting factor in actual race scenarios. We were all just trying not to hit each other 🤣
I don't think it is ability based as much as it is personal preference based on your driving style, people can be equally as fast with a understeering car as a oversteering one so you find a balance that works for you.

It's not just a game thing either, in F1 drivers like Alonso prefer understeer but can be just as quick/quicker than ones like Hamilton who prefer oversteer.

Why not try something new if it might help? :lol:
Seriously @GOTMAXPOWER is a freak. He manages to do things we can only dream about.
Mine was him spinning out at Tiergarten at Nords and somehow managing to turn it into an overtake. (This was on GTS)

I'm not surprised, online racing can either be the best or the absolute worst depending on who you're racing against. Since you're new you'll have a low driver rating and be put in against the people with next to no car control or understanding of basic racecraft, they'll overdrive the entry to almost every corner and you'll have to dive out the way or have a crash. It seems to get better once you get to the top half of DR B.

Try and hang in there - keep racing racing cleanly and avoid carnage and your sportsmanship rating will increase to S (you don't need to be winning races) where you'll generally (but not always!) have decent like-minded racers. If you're in with drivers with an SR of B or C just let them take each other off and concentrate on finishing the races and you should see your SR go up at the end. However tempting it is, don't rage-quit races as it will have a negative affect on your ratings.
Thanks for your advice. I did that and improved in my rating, even won a clean race after starting on pole and getting away from these idiots.

The higher rating races were a little bit better regarding crashing me on purpose. But nevertheless they did it. I will see....

Well 4000 races crept up quite quickly...
And I thought my 2,200 races were a lot!
Oh, absolutely - I didn't mean to imply anything about his abilities. What he's shown in his videos has absolutely blown me away. I was only commenting on the general idea of trying new things. Believe me, I kneel at the altar of his racing greatness, no matter how humble he is. :bowdown:
Experimenting with brake bias doesn't mean redecorating the whole house and spending £500 on sim racing hardware 😂.
WHAT??!!?? Sacrilege! (I actually took a break to write this - a break from building a rotating stand for my gaming monitor and speakers so I don't have to sit in my racing seat when I'm playing other games. I will admit, however, that this has nothing to do with BB.)

1702245803891.png

... And who spends only 500 pounds?? :lol:

@newmedia_dev think it was you I saw a couple of races ago? You got punted I think , and left - was hoping you'd stay so I could say 'hello'

I finished last , but managed to improve my qualifying time to 2:04.1xx after following everyone around for a few laps. Following race was a disaster and I quit.

PD- Can't quite see the purpose of wall penalties where I'm already damaged and facing backwards 🙄

@newmedia_dev think it was you I saw a couple of races ago? You got punted I think , and left - was hoping you'd stay so I could say 'hello'

I finished last , but managed to improve my qualifying time to 2:04.1xx after following everyone around for a few laps. Following race was a disaster and I quit.

PD- Can't quite see the purpose of wall penalties where I'm already damaged and facing backwards 🙄
Hey, that was me. I tried to send a hello but the warm up ended, as I pressed R2

It's always nice to see peeps and had I stayed we could of had a fun race, but it was twice on the bounce for me and at 30 min windows I thought it best to cut my losses read my daughter a story and enjoy some crap tv with the wife.

Hopefully bump in to you this week, although I'm really sad this race is going. Ranked road cars are my happy place. Weird gr2/1 stuff I'm just not that in to!

And I thought my 2,200 races were a lot!

Oh, absolutely - I didn't mean to imply anything about his abilities. What he's shown in his videos has absolutely blown me away. I was only commenting on the general idea of trying new things. Believe me, I kneel at the altar of his racing greatness, no matter how humble he is. :bowdown:

WHAT??!!?? Sacrilege! (I actually took a break to write this - a break from building a rotating stand for my gaming monitor and speakers so I don't have to sit in my racing seat when I'm playing other games. I will admit, however, that this has nothing to do with BB.)

View attachment 1310670

... And who spends only 500 pounds?? :lol:
That looks like a good setup, I'm more the kind of guy who plays half asleep on the sofa, comfort is king and controller wins for that!

I had what I think is a miracle - I raced on a Sunday afternoon, and nobody was a jerk! (At least not around me.)

Not sure if I'm done for the week or not, but it's been a good week for me. Started DR/B at 63%, ended at DR A at 13%. Also managed to get back to SR S.

1702249803566.png

I kind of like seeing it with SR showing too, since they started showing SR percentage:

1702249847379.png

Anyway, I hope everyone had a good week.

comfort is king and controller wins for that!
True enough!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back