GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,058 comments
Turns out that Deep Forest this week has been fun if at time somewhat bumpy. I'm going to make a couple of videos on my last two days of races. This is the first. PS. you actually get to hear me talk...

I would normally never watch this long of a racing video, but I couldn't turn it off. Part of that is I enjoyed being able to put a voice to the name. The other part is that I'm sucking so bad at this track, so it was nice to watch you not suck like I do. I mean, of course you weren't perfect, but it was fun. Thanks for sharing.

I've had far too much fun at Deep Forest this week, essentially just divebombing people into turn 1 (nobody got hurt so its fine 🙈):

You had some serious pace in the races we had yesterday, I assumed you were doing last to first challenges from the back of the grid because you always seemed to move forward in the races and not just from others incidents like you imply.

Always a treat to see you make it look so easy while doing what many of us want to do but lack the skilz to actually pull it off.

Amazing stuff as always.
Cheers

I have to really thank @TheNormsk for the encouragement his video gave me. I went back to the track and shaved another 3-tenths off my time (in the Supra), then decided to give the race a shot even though my QT is ranked #6011.

There must be a lot more players this week, because I started 4th in a B lobby. I did not expect that. I finished 2nd, and did NOT expect that.

1703286682190.png

I had fastest lap until someone must have edged me out on the last lap.

I got fortunate that we lost P2 and P3 right at the start, and by the end of lap 1 there was a 2.5 second gap behind me, and nobody challenged me. I was right on the tail of the RX-Vision in front of me, until about half-way through the last lap where I almost lost it due to sheer stupidity, and was careful the rest of the way.

This was only my second race this week, because I've been chicken. And I still think I won't race many more this weekend, but it was nice to get my feet wet. Thanks again @TheNormsk for posting a video that, for whatever reason, gave me the encouragement to try again.

Static IP, DMZ, etc. etc.? Cars being frozen on the grid is a classic sign of connection issues:

Note that, unless you're using all of that bandwidth, anything over about 2/1 is pretty irrelevant. Latency is much more important, so if you're using satellite internet, mobile internet, or some kooky means of getting online like a VPN, you'll have a bad time. Or everyone else will.

It might also be a policy change at your ISP; for the purposes of the ISP, Daily Races use a P2P connection and some throttle this type of traffic - and yours may have changed policy to do so.
Hi Famine, thank you so much for all the info. I played around with the router settings for quite a while today, no such luck even with updating to a Static IP and DMZ as described. Afterwards, I connected directly to my modem, and it also glitched in the same manner. Finally, I had the idea to tether to my phone's cellular network. Guess what, no frozen players it was the first race in months that no glitching occured. Other players weren't frozen and I could finally race! I think that proves my ISP is blocking the traffic for daily races. I obviously won't continue to race on cellular, but it was a successful test.

Last edited:
I've had far too much fun at Deep Forest this week, essentially just divebombing people into turn 1 (nobody got hurt so its fine 🙈):

You had some serious pace in the races we had yesterday, I assumed you were doing last to first challenges from the back of the grid because you always seemed to move forward in the races and not just from others incidents like you imply.

Some great switcheroos there - you had the opposition completely baffled! 🙂

First race after a break got a rubbish quali time thought might as well try a new car. Interesting one where I got brake checked by a GT before it slowed down for a penalty.

Finally got some time for racing this week andni am loving race B. What a great combo. Am seeing a decent mix of cars in race and the racing has been pretty solid so far. I am using the ford gt because i like it and we seem to get along well, but am having good battles with porsches genisis and even the odd 4c

My qt could be better tbh, i have clearly lost some pace with how little ive raced recently

Is it just me that the GT is annoying meta at DF, you get held up behind (and all those GTs behind you who can't keep up "need" to get passed and then they overtake you on the straights but hit every wall in the twisty bit and become rolling road blocks and then just sail on passed/away.

Usually the meta has some counter be it better driving or fuel/tires but this one is just dive bomb to the front as quick as possible and use all the speed and none of the skill. Just a weird dynamic this week.

For reference I QT in the GT and the 4C and mostly race the porker

Is it just me that the GT is annoying meta at DF, you get held up behind (and all those GTs behind you who can't keep up "need" to get passed and then they overtake you on the straights but hit every wall in the twisty bit and become rolling road blocks and then just sail on passed/away.

Usually the meta has some counter be it better driving or fuel/tires but this one is just dive bomb to the front as quick as possible and use all the speed and none of the skill. Just a weird dynamic this week.

Yes and no. Yes, I do find it annoying when Ford’s hold me up in the twisty stuff, but no it is also not annoying as I drive said Ford and it’s part of my strategy.

It really depends on the driver. The Ford can be just as fast through the twisties as the Porsche, but perhaps the Porsches I keep up with are being held up by Fords in front? 🤔

Btw I beat your QT last night 😁
IMG_7655.jpeg

Shots fired!

Last edited:
Yes and no. Yes, I do find it annoying when Ford’s hold me up in the twisty stuff, but no it is also not annoying as I drive said Ford and it’s part of my strategy.

It really depends on the driver. The Ford can be just as fast through the twisties as the Porsche, but perhaps the Porsches I keep up with are being held up by Fords in front? 🤔

View attachment 1313909

Shots fired!
Bastard.

I'll go back in for QT now I guess....

I haven't really seen this. I've actually seen some really good back and forth today. Fords "letting" porsches through if they are faster, and then trying to stick to them and get a big enough gap that they can't get you next time. Honestly a little surprised to see so much of that behavior, i gotta say....

How are you guys getting these times!? 1:29:090 is my best so far using the porsche

C lobbies are rough, bumps are a part of racing but geez. If I bump unintentionally (and cause off line driving) I concede position

Last edited:
I haven't really seen this. I've actually seen some really good back and forth today. Fords "letting" porsches through if they are faster, and then trying to stick to them and get a big enough gap that they can't get you next time. Honestly a little surprised to see so much of that behavior, i gotta say....

I would agree with this. Yes there are a few numbnuts that dive bomb the hairpins but overall most races have been exciting with the back and forth between the cars. I’ve been really enjoying it.

I would agree with this. Yes there are a few numbnuts that dive bomb the hairpins but overall most races have been exciting with the back and forth between the cars. I’ve been really enjoying it.
So I would disagree, not hill to die on but at the sharp end in a Porsche this has not been fun. I'm maxed out SR and on the cusp DR.

The trend in my racing has varied in that there are some patient racers and others not.

Probably it's a bit tighter in Europe and probably a lot tighter at this point in the week but I'm still a bit meh.....if I was out raced absolutely, if contact happens it's fine. When you are taking a line that is ahead of someone and they use you as the exit buffer I'm not sure, well I am sure I want earlier drive and now you want to go slow 2-2 in to the Esses....yeay. And then I can out corner you but the straights.... what's the point of driving anything else and I'm only B in the top 1500 now, norm you must be knocking top 1000

How are you guys getting these times!? 1:29:090 is my best so far using the porsche

C lobbies are rough, bumps are a part of racing but geez. If I bump unintentionally (and cause off line driving) I concede position
Is your traction control set to 3? That's a good place to start, be smooth with the power on exits. That last hairpin will be where half the time is, I'm braking just before the 100m sign.

Is your traction control set to 3? That's a good place to start, be smooth with the power on exits. That last hairpin will be where half the time is, I'm braking just before the 100m sign.
No I keep all of my assists off. I almost never spin on exit but I think I’m going into the corners a little too conservative. I’ll give 3 a wack. Bout to run another one so we shall see

I load up the ghost of the world’s fastest time on the leader board and chase that. I would not recommend that for you though. I would start by finding a target time in the showcase and loading that; perhaps a 1:28. Then set your ghost to be 0,00s offset (I use roof cam so can see over the top) and display only that ghost and not your personal best.

That’ll allow you to see very clearly braking differences and line.

A key part is application of brake and brake points and learning the capabilities of your car. There are many spots where you only lightly 25-50% use the brake to assist in corners and not so much to slow the car down.

Last edited:
I load up the ghost of the world’s fastest time on the leader board and chase that. I would not recommend that for you though. I would start by finding a target time in the showcase and loading that; perhaps a 1:28. Then set your ghost to be 0,00s offset (I use roof cam so can see over the top) and display only that ghost and not your personal best.

A key part is application of brake and brake points and learning the capabilities of your car. There are many spots where you only lightly 25-50% use the brake to assist in corners and not so much to slow the car down.
Thank you guys for the helpful hints and prompt responses. As you can see I was able to get my time down substantially from 1:29 to 1:28. A big help was adding the ghost. I seen I was braking a little too hard and a little too early in turn 1 and what I believe is turn 9 (still getting used to load cell). Hopefully this will get me in the front of the pack and I will have to worry less about dive bombers and late braking racers in the middle of the pack

Attachments

• IMG_8780.jpeg
    IMG_8780.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 8

Norm speaks the truth.

I will follow the top ghosts and it's tricky as they pull away at every sector. Its just racing so double down on that.

View attachment 1313909

Shots fired!
Nice QT!

Back