GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,058 comments
Is it just me, or is St Croix bloody horrible? A collection of awkward corners put in a blender and arranged as a track.
I'm sure there was a reverse layout of this used in GT Sport dailies - and it felt like it had a better flow that way? Usually the reverse layouts feel worse but I'm sure I preferred it here.

I'll have to go and try it after work and see if I still think the same....

Similar with Race B - I like it in the normal direction ( same with Seaside) but the reverse is grim.

Hey @Revengel - that was you, wasn;t it? Thanks for the bump draft!

That race was 'death by a thousand cuts' for me. A slip here, slightly missed apex there, with no margin for error because the lobby was running fast and clean. Even tho I fell back a few Ps, it was still an enjoyable race.

St. Croix is starting to grow on me. Now, if I could just figure out that final corner and stop running wide....
Yup, that was me! And no problem!

What helped me on that corner (and the entire race, honestly) was the guide from @Tidgney (as always!)

This is actually one of my favorite circuits in the game . . . this layout in particular. It's what I take my GTO out on just to drive sometimes.

Great driving next to you!

I decided to not change tires in the pit. Didn't cost me any positions, but I won;t do that again. One tire completely lost early on the final lap. I'm pretty sure the better tire-handlers are not changing, but I am not one of those!
I tried that on Monday.
I was just there to gain some SR points. I pitted at the end of lap 4, while leading the race, and didn't change tires.
By the end, both of my Huracan's rear tires were fully red. It was like driving on ice.
I finished dead last (except for the 5 quitters). :lol:

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is St Croix bloody horrible? A collection of awkward corners put in a blender and arranged as a track.
I'm sure there was a reverse layout of this used in GT Sport dailies - and it felt like it had a better flow that way? Usually the reverse layouts feel worse but I'm sure I preferred it here.

Similar with Race B - I like it in the normal direction ( same with Seaside) but the reverse is grim.
It is not just you on both circuits I feel the same!

Hi folks. Just did my very first daily race today. I guess that I will only do one every now and then. The game still has way too much to offer before I will do online races more regularly. It was a lot of fun even though it was P1 all the way. Just lucky I didn't get punted on T1.

Did many mistakes but luckily the competition was slower.

18cabca944558-screenshotUrl.jpg

It is not just you on both circuits I feel the same!
Ok.. so on one hand..Yes. Alsace is funky.

Oh the other, for the first time in a while, its like a new track, after what feels like an endless loop of a handful of tracks.

Is it wrong that sometimes it feels as if we have more rally tracks in game, than viable sport mode courses in rotation?

Race C has grown on me. Managed to drop another .5 off my QT and very slowly making my way into/through B lobby. I’ve found that the gt test car does pretty well for me. Definitely picks up in the straights/med turns where it lacks in braking. Not a crowd favorite though 😅

Ok.. so on one hand..Yes. Alsace is funky.

Oh the other, for the first time in a while, its like a new track, after what feels like an endless loop of a handful of tracks.

Is it wrong that sometimes it feels as if we have more rally tracks in game, than viable sport mode courses in rotation?
No I do get that, I think it can just feel a bit clunky as a road/hybrid track. It's sort of a fantasy nurbs with some lovely sections then intersected with more awkward stuff so it breaks the flow a bit.

It does feel artificially long like the stretched tunnel at TM.

It's not the worst track by any means but I'm not sure what it is trying to be if that makes sense?

Ha ha, I knew that would provoke a challenge.

To plagiarize the words of another great racer....

Bastard! Now I have to work on my QT again.

You would think but it is only good for around 1800th in the world and on my races I did today I would start around 8th or 9th.

In fact of the races done today, if this continues I will be back in DR B. I got absolutely murder in two of them. Once was accidental and the other driver waited for me, but the damage was done. The other I would claim to be out and out dirty. I forgot to save the replay to look at it from different angles as I was fuming at the time. But this snippet from my live record show the aftermath. You need to look at the radar for the action of the other driver.

This was my fastest race I'd ever done with a split A+/A lobby and we were lapping in the low 1:28s. My first 4 laps were about as perfect as I could be. Lap 5, I lost some pace on turn 10 and this guy catches up and all through lap 5 and 6 I successfully defend and then at the final hairpin as I defend that, he punts me causing us to go side my side but I'm in front. I leave room for the drag at the end, but looking at the radar it is clear that he tries to push me off into the wall... That works, I lose it, and joy of joy I get a penalty for hitting said wall.

I was po'd.

Through those races, the first, which I skewered myself with a lap one 1.5s track limit penalty from the esses, and the last race where I was punted and spun I came in 11th. Both lost 1% DR. The second race where I came in 12th also lost 1% DR against the harder lobby. If I'd kept my 6th, I think that would have been a great result.

Was an awesome race until that gross incident on last lap.
You were pushing fair and clean the whole race (I was on 5th place ahead of you).

I lost you on the hairpin on last lap so I saved the replay to check what happened.
You were punted entering the hairpin, and with the lost momentum he catches you.

Not happy with that, his steering input shows that he is deliberatly throwing you to the barrier.
Shameful drivers...

Hi folks. Just did my very first daily race today. I guess that I will only do one every now and then. The game still has way too much to offer before I will do online races more regularly. It was a lot of fun even though it was P1 all the way. Just lucky I didn't get punted on T1.

Did many mistakes but luckily the competition was slower.

View attachment 1314612
The races will get more interesting once you get out of the E ranks. Keep racing. 👍

A GR4 Bug as in VW?
Yes please. I mean, how awesome would that be??? We've got the swaps...

1703696286168.png

Been having fun at St Croix, though I wish the Porsche was a bit lot faster in the straights. Not sure where @ILLEAGLE_34 found that second they got on me but I need to fix that.😁 Besides, I'm at a 1:27.666...I'm not theologically motivated by default, but that unnerves me.🤣

Gotta find my comfort zone so I can get on the track with the rest y'all.👍

:cheers:

No I do get that, I think it can just feel a bit clunky as a road/hybrid track. It's sort of a fantasy nurbs with some lovely sections then intersected with more awkward stuff so it breaks the flow a bit.

It's not the worst track by any means but I'm not sure what it is trying to be if that makes sense?
It’s a great track “st Croix” for GR2-GR1 cars. There’s a lot of high down force corners and the straights don’t feel as long🍻

Got a few laps in to get the track re-memorized the other night and I've always liked it so finally got out to a couple of dailies in race C.

And man the straight line cars are miserable. First 2 races I just had Ford GTs and Supras divebomb and push me wide into the walls. Both races my eventual undoing was a wreck on my own, but it was a pain that people basically drove like I was AI or wasn't there at all.

Third race I had a great start and had a battle with the leader for a couple of laps until I put a tyre on the sand and spun, having to back up and turn around again. Dropped from that to finish p4 but getting the hang of it. Still loving learning the McLaren out there. Underrated car for the track despite the straight line speed deficit. Was also getting out-driven by someone in an RX-Vision. That was nice.

I think french fantasy nurbs is about right.. even broke out a mid 90’s 911 and drove it stick to get better acquainted with the flow. Helped a bit, but keep binning it in that final sector

Been enjoying a few Race Bs at Dragons but it's plagued by the usual Mazda 3 problem.

I'm starting mid pack in 458 in a mixed A & B lobby, but every single A driver was using the Mazda. A lot of them may have qualified in another car, but getting real sick of participating in any Gr4 races due to that fugly car.

Think I'll move onto race C.

For those of you doing Race B, what cars do you think are best for the race? I just tried the NSX, and it was OK, but boy do those Mazdas pull away in the straights.

I don't want to race the Mazda, so I'm looking for suggestions of other cars that are competitive in the race. The race I was just in was won by a Citroen, but I don't know if that was an anomaly or not.
Not 100% liking these cars, gr3 would have been better, did my fastest in a Mazda of 1.40.097, couldn’t quite get below that, no way racing that car though! Couldn’t decide between 650 & 458 and they are a little light on the kerbs, strangely enough I settled on the wrx, handles well and better around the corners, will try the atenza and Alfa this weekend :)

The 650 is fast but I like to rev the engine out, changing at 50-75% is Wrong
100% feels like your not fully driving it

I always wonder why St. Croix gets so much hate when IMO its the closest thing we have to a street circuit (with a countryside setting) in the game. And considering one of the biggest wishlist requests I see is for more street circuits to be added I would have thought it more popular.

Now I know what you are about to say, what about Tokyo Expressway, that's a street circuit. Well I would call that a CITY circuit, not a STREET circuit as it has more fast, sweeping, flowing corners. Whereas St. Croix (moreso the A and B layouts) consist of multiple 90 degree corners, very little run off in places and guard railing right next to apexes, where carrying momentum through corners to get a better exit speed is key.

My theory is that because it comes up so rarely, a lot of players aren't as proficient here and make more mistakes and feel its harder because they haven't done 1000 laps of the place to the point where is simple muscle memory.

I'm sorry, but it's time for another vent about wall penalties.

Watch this

It happens all the time, right?
Well, the game should know that getting hit by the Supra spun me into the wall. Also, it should know that hitting the wall didn't gain me an advantage (especially because the damage slowed me down for the next 30 seconds).
Wall penalties came about years ago, in GT Sport, when people would intentionally hit a wall at tracks like Blue Moon Bay and Tokyo East to go around a corner faster, which was advantageous.

This game already knows if you get an advantage from a violation. If you accidentally cut a corner, but then lift off the throttle, you can often avoid a time penalty because the game doesn't detect that you gained a time advantage.

The fact that they just give you a time penalty for hitting a wall anywhere, is lazy af by the developers.

The slowing down by hitting a wall and damage to your car is enough of a penalty. Let's get this fixed, please. :grumpy:

I always wonder why St. Croix gets so much hate when IMO its the closest thing we have to a street circuit (with a countryside setting) in the game. And considering one of the biggest wishlist requests I see is for more street circuits to be added I would have thought it more popular.

Now I know what you are about to say, what about Tokyo Expressway, that's a street circuit. Well I would call that a CITY circuit, not a STREET circuit as it has more fast, sweeping, flowing corners. Whereas St. Croix (moreso the A and B layouts) consist of multiple 90 degree corners, very little run off in places and guard railing right next to apexes, where carrying momentum through corners to get a better exit speed is key.

My theory is that because it comes up so rarely, a lot of players aren't as proficient here and make more mistakes and feel its harder because they haven't done 1000 laps of the place to the point where is simple muscle memory.
I think you and Kriptical could be right or at least more get it than I do.

As I said it lacks flow (for me) but it is a fun challenging circuit. I'm not sure it feels like a street circuit but I don't think that matters.

I think, or at least postulate that it's a long track that changes dynamic quite drastically when driving it. Not a bad or good thing but just a different thing.

I'd rather have it in the game than not, I'm just not sure what it's suppose to represent in terms of racing. It's just something in online we don't see much and for that reason is probably a bit more polarising than most circuits.

I believe you have hit the bullseye here.

I mean, Special Stage X comes up way more frequently than "Sainty Croiks" #SuperGT
Possibly Goodwood comes up more often.

I think the only road circuits that are less frequently used are High Speed Ring, Broad Bean Raceway, Northern Isle and . . . that may be it, actually.

Now, I drive it all the time (it's one of my favorite tracks especially in this configuration) so it's very familiar to me. But it comes up so rarely that the race becomes a mad scramble for a larger portion of the community.

Last edited:

I will have to disagree here. Both this direction of Gardens and St. Croix C are the best and have the most flow. At Gardens the Istanbul corner flows better than in the forwards direction. I was actually shocked when I discovered in GTS that Gardens is actually the other way around. I thought it was a mistake.
I'm sorry, but it's time for another vent about wall penalties.

Watch this

It happens all the time, right?
Well, the game should know that getting hit by the Supra spun me into the wall. Also, it should know that hitting the wall didn't gain me an advantage (especially because the damage slowed me down for the next 30 seconds).
Wall penalties came about years ago, in GT Sport, when people would intentionally hit a wall at tracks like Blue Moon Bay and Tokyo East to go around a corner faster, which was advantageous.

This game already knows if you get an advantage from a violation. If you accidentally cut a corner, but then lift off the throttle, you can often avoid a time penalty because the game doesn't detect that you gained a time advantage.

The fact that they just give you a time penalty for hitting a wall anywhere, is lazy af by the developers.

The slowing down by hitting a wall and damage to your car is enough of a penalty. Let's get this fixed, please. :grumpy:

Tell me about it. They have switched them on again for some reason. Last week it was deadly at Deep Forest, and all accidents.

Going back to St. C I was surprised at PD's placement of it in relation to the lake. It seems to have been plonked there with no thought. The straight after T2 is along the lakeshore and the bridge is actually on the top of a hill nowhere near the lake? I thought they had done better recon such as what they did with Dragon Trail for these.

Last edited:

I believe you have hit the bullseye here.
I'm in agreement here. For me I just have not driven the track much so I really don't know it at all. As I drive it more I am liking it more and more; it is really quite technical. That said, my times are still not good but that is due to the length of the track and I think that adds to the polarizing nature of it; like Nordschleife. Many people love it as it is a classic, but to be good at it takes many hours of practice due to its length. As track length increases I find the amount of time to learn a track increases exponentially.

For St Croix, I am now as fast as the A+ guys here in the opening sector and then drift off and often lose it completely in the last sector. The reason, is that this first sector is replayed/retried a lot so I become more proficient at it. The mid section and in particular, the last sector, I get to those a lot less and so just often forget the braking points/line. It just takes a lot longer to learn. I find a 2 minute track takes 4 times as long to learn as a 1 minute track. A 4 minute track, 16 times and so on...

I probably won't race this week, but I am enjoying using the circuit as a TT to try to learn it. Currently, with the Supra, I go as far as a 3:28s. Still need another second and last sector consistency before I would feel ready to race....

I will have to disagree here. Both this direction of Gardens and St. Croix C are the best and have the most flow. At Gardens the Istanbul corner flows better than in the forwards direction. I was actually shocked when I discovered in GTS that Gardens is actually the other way around. I thought it was a mistake.
But the radical TT was much more fun going up the hill and up the sausages than down them.

DT gardens I don't mind in either direction although as a track generally it has a different type of flow to most in that the technical sections are largely double apex corners which is a little unusual but fun/difficult to nail consistently.

St Croix is a bit of an oddity in both design and just the physical structure of the circuit. Its hugely wide, long and has a mix of corner types that are inspired by lots of other circuits, to some degree it's a massive track that is paying homage to lots of other tracks.

Where I don't particularly like it is just the bits where it blends the circuits and the road sections back together, like the artificial banding to go on to the bridge to unsettle the car. Or the cross between the right section of road back on to circuit layout.

As a driver the challenge is always fun, but that doesn't mean I think it's a halo of track/circuit design. It is an awkward place that is love/hate I think.

Hey Guys! I know this is from last week, but I've never seen a Race Finish this close!
Last week I've managed to rack up a few wins here and there with the AMG and Alfa 4C

Last edited:
Hey Guys! I know this is from last week, but I've never seen a Race Finish this close!
Last week I've managed to rack up a few wins here and there with the AMG and Alfa 4C

Couldn't see a thing due to the vertical video cut off the relevant bits.

Back