GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,058 comments
I believe you have hit the bullseye here.

I mean, Special Stage X comes up way more frequently than "Sainty Croiks" #SuperGT
Possibly Goodwood comes up more often.

I think the only road circuits that are less frequently used are High Speed Ring, Broad Bean Raceway, Northern Isle and . . . that may be it, actually.

Now, I drive it all the time (it's one of my favorite tracks especially in this configuration) so it's very familiar to me. But it comes up so rarely that the race becomes a mad scramble for a larger portion of the community.
I think Laguna Seca and maybe count Bathurst as very infrequent appearances in sport mode .. when Laguna appeared back in October , it had been nearly a year or so since it last appeared in sport mode.....heck I think Daytona Oval should appear more just so we could have a more nascar style drafting race ...

Last edited:
I think Laguna Seca and maybe count Bathurst as very infrequent appearances in sport mode .. when Laguna appeared back in October , it had been nearly a year or so since it last appeared in sport mode.....heck I think Daytona Oval should appear more just so we could have a more nascar style drafting race ...
Both tracks with very unforgiving sections, and arguably not great for pick up and play racing.

Both in my personal top 5 and should feature more. Just very unforgiving/frustrating in parts. As are all circuits to be fair. Suzuka next week will be polarising again. One of my best tracks but also has so bits that make it tricky to go quick round if you haven't done a few laps.

But this the fun, the racing and we all (I) have to adapt :)

Edit:

When I say fun, being rammed off as the pole sitter 4 races in a row smarts a bit. Also new socks and I slipped off the freaking pedals. Bah it is what it is.

Last edited:
Both tracks with very unforgiving sections, and arguably not great for pick up and play racing.

Both in my personal top 5 and should feature more. Just very unforgiving/frustrating in parts. As are all circuits to be fair. Suzuka next week will be polarising again. One of my best tracks but also has so bits that make it tricky to go quick round if you haven't done a few laps.

But this the fun, the racing and we all (I) have to adapt :)

Edit:

When I say fun, being rammed off as the pole sitter 4 races in a row smarts a bit. Also new socks and I slipped off the freaking pedals. Bah it is what it is.
Hey so was that you in the 650 on pole a while ago? I just started a GB account earlier today and I was hoping to get to race with some gtp peeps from across the pond 😉

Was painful getting out of the first races but as a B it has begun to spice up a touch 😁
Fishtail_3 is my new account.

If not yet, hopefully race with some additional gtp folks soon.

Everyone knows that you never go full red tire🍻
tire_fire.gif

Hey so was that you in the 650 on pole a while ago? I just started a GB account earlier today and I was hoping to get to race with some gtp peeps from across the pond 😉

Was painful getting out of the first races but as a B it has begun to spice up a touch 😁

I will jump on my UK account shortly and will send an invite.

I will jump on my UK account shortly and will send an invite.
Still hanging in B race. You race b or c
Can’t pm bc you settings private like icycls 😂

B race has still been a hoot.

Edit: just did a C race with 2 laps of practice beforehand whilst 👀 for you. Still pretty good races all in all.
Only got slammed into a barrier once on the final lap so an A/A could grab p9 from me 😂
🍻

Last edited:
I just did the 1 race. Got punted and ended up last. Go figure!

Just crushed my qt using the Ford GT.
View attachment 1314784

Still not quick but better than before. Not going to race this on my main account, as I’m terrible, but I not mind lowering my B rating here. 😁
Just do it. My sorry arse just pulled a p5 and loads of fun to be had. Slow is okay if clean and consistent 😁

That was me indeed, I don't usually race that late uk time.....probably shouldn't either :)

You were doing awesome though in the Bug!

Chasing @ILLEAGLE_34 ghost.

GT7 (raw) | Daily Race C 23-52 | Chasing ghosts to get my fastest QT on a course I don't know

I’m faster sector 1 but gradually slip back towards the end. Still, it’s my fastest time so far.

The Ford GT is quite the weapon this course. It’ll hit 171mph on the long straight and it is seriously rapid through the first corner.

I’ve just got to get better on the last sector. Still haven’t learned the course enough yet to remove the track aids. I’ll get there!

The Ford deserves a better driver than me. 😁

Last edited:
Yeah I second what Talon said. There's basically no pace difference between a wheel and pad - it's all down to the person using the controller, not the controller itself.

A few fringe cases pop up where controller is less viable due to the steering dampening (high df cars & chicanes, like the Bugatti VGT TT or the RBX2019 Road Atlanta TT) but they are few and far between.
Nothing ultimately is stopping you from setting WR in a Gr.3 car using a pad.
It's probably a LOT more work to guess how to drive "optimally" on a pad than on a wheel. At least with a wheel you can feel teh sensations. This little thing called Feedback.

Some assists will hamper your times, depending on car and course combination. Turning off all assists for both devices and I'd wager vast majority of controller users are left in the dust for dead against an average wheel user. If you use all 900 degrees of steering, you're giving yourself a handicap, but tune it right to around 540 and you're miles ahead of most controller users. I flat out disagree that there's no advantages to using a properly setup wheel over the standard ps4 controller or even the dualsense. Not that it matters. When the racing's clean I could care less what device you're on or what color your car is. But when the racings dirty, the VAST majority of the time it's the controller users who have nothing better to do than turn the joystick a little too far.

Last edited:
Chasing @ILLEAGLE_34 ghost.

GT7 (raw) | Daily Race C 23-52 | Chasing ghosts to get my fastest QT on a course I don't know

I’m faster sector 1 but gradually slip back towards the end. Still, it’s my fastest time so far.

The Ford GT is quite the weapon this course. It’ll hit 171mph on the long straight and it is seriously rapid through the first corner.

I’ve just got to get better on the last sector. Still haven’t learned the course enough yet to remove the track aids. I’ll get there!

The Ford deserves a better driver than me. 😁

Happy to hear someone is using my ghost. I often feel silly sharing a replay because it’s not the quickest. I’ve always liked to use a ghost that’s like 1 second or so faster than me. I will watch or chase a top time ghost to see how they are shifting/gear choice and more importantly the track limits. 🍻

It's probably a LOT more work to guess how to drive "optimally" on a pad than on a wheel. At least with a wheel you can feel teh sensations. This little thing called Feedback.

Some assists will hamper your times, depending on car and course combination. Turning off all assists for both devices and I'd wager vast majority of controller users are left in the dust for dead against an average wheel user. If you use all 900 degrees of steering, you're giving yourself a handicap, but tune it right to around 540 and you're miles ahead of most controller users. I flat out disagree that there's no advantages to using a properly setup wheel over the standard ps4 controller or even the dualsense. Not that it matters. When the racing's clean I could care less what device you're on or what color your car is. But when the racings dirty, the VAST majority of the time it's the controller users who have nothing better to do than turn the joystick a little too far.
I mean this is just flat out wrong? You can believe it all you like if it justifies your purchase in your head but there are people qualifying for the world series and setting world records on the time trials with a controller, which says all it needs to.

Last edited:
I mean this is just flat out wrong? You can believe it all you like if it justifies your purchase in your head but there are people qualifying for the world series and setting world records on the time trials with a controller, which says all it needs to.
Yes. And? Those are some incredibly skilled people. But that does not mean there's no inherent advantage to using a wheel over a controller. There is.

Your logic is flawed. What you're trying to say comes across like this: "I have an F1 car, he's got a bone stock 1999 honda civic. But the civic won the race as I crashed into turn 1, so clearly it was a fair race" So to recap, the F1 car had the clear advantage. The wheel users have the clear advantage of not only greater control. When the car goes sideways from collisions or snap traction loss, much better chance of catching it exactly the way you want to.

And bonus question for you. Ever tried playing assetto corsa on a controller. In any of the high performance road cars? Good luck. There's a not-so-obvious reason many play racing simulations on wheels. You're faster and more immersed in the simulation.

Finally? Finally. If what you're saying was true. No cars would come equipped with steering wheels. Not F1 cars, not road cars. Just joysticks "because it's the same thing". Just no. They're not the same, will never be the same. One has inherent advantages and differences over the other. Inexcusable.

Last edited:
Yes. And? Those are some incredibly skilled people. But that does not mean there's no inherent advantage to using a wheel over a controller.

Your logic is flawed. What you're trying to say comes across like this: "I have an F1 car, he's got a honda civic. But the civic won the race as I crashed into turn 1, so clearly it was a fair race"
I don't think making a strawman up is helping your argument.

They are very skilled. But if they can do it, the skill ceiling is the same. If there was a significant advantage, the ceiling would be different.

skill ceiling
Gross negligence. The only way to justify your argument seems to me like this: see the ratio of people in the top 10000 of any given track and find the percentages of each by this categorization:

1. how many are using controller with minimal assists,
  2. how many are using no controller assists on a controller
  3. how many are using a wheel with minimal assists
  4. How many are using a wheel with no assists

Do that and then you have a point at all. It should be obvious then if I am "wrong" or your fabrication dismisses the inherent advantages of wheels. Of which I seriously doubt.

strikethrough, and you're even funnier for claiming it to be a strawman. I pity thee who has to bring out the list of quips and comebacks when faced with a healthy dose of intellectual honesty.

Last edited:
The mistake is his use of the word 'inherent'.
Judging by his edit, his mistake is he's talking from a point of ignorance and stating it like it's fact.

So let's break it all down. Which isn't hard to do.
"The wheel users have the clear advantage of not only greater control. When the car goes sideways from collisions or snap traction loss, much better chance of catching it exactly the way you want to."

No they don't. The one thing people say about switching to wheel from controller is that it becomes remarkably harder to catch a slide. This is because, in Gran Turismo 7, the controller has inbuilt dampening and 'assists' so to speak to make it a viable steering method because obviously, a wheel is not a joystick. Let's all keep that bookmarked, because we're coming back to it a lot.

"Ever tried playing assetto corsa on a controller. In any of the high performance road cars? Good luck. There's a not-so-obvious reason many play racing simulations on wheels. You're faster and more immersed in the simulation."
Yes I have, and yes there is. It's because in Assetto Corsa, there has been no work put into making a controller a viable input method. As you so correctly state later, a wheel is not a joystick (good job wheel, I'm very proud you got that right!) and therefore the game needs to adjust the inputs to put them at an equal level. Games such as Wreckfest, ACC on consoles, Forza and of course Gran Turismo have some form of dampening built in to gamepad inputs to smooth them out and make them viable.
It is nothing to do with immersion. Immersion doesn't make you faster. Silly point to include at all.

"Finally? Finally. If what you're saying was true. No cars would come equipped with steering wheels. Not F1 cars, not road cars. Just joysticks "because it's the same thing". Just no. They're not the same, will never be the same."

The only thing he said that's correct! Almost self aware here. It's not the same thing. At no point, did anyone ever say it's the same thing.
It is however, a game. And a game can do things that real life cannot. Such as put work into making a gamepad be balanced with a steering wheel by virtue of translating its inputs to better mimic that of how a car should behave.

"One has inherent advantages and differences over the other. Inexcusable."
Noone also said otherwise here. I even listed the advantages that a wheel has - and this is why a lot of high level players use them, fast cars like the X2019 do come up in GTWS and therefore to remain competitively viable on those combinations, a wheel helps.

The only inexcusable thing here is a clear inability to speak from facts, instead opting to yap about what they "think" is correct instead of taking a step back and realising that actually, Gran Turismo is a game so it doesn't matter what would happen in real life because you can do things in a game you can't do in real life. Their entire paragraph is a rant based around a single point they made up and got angry about, that can be disproven in one sentence. Incredible.

Last edited:
Gross negligence. The only way to justify your argument seems to me like this: see the ratio of people in the top 10000 of any given track and find the percentages of each by this categorization:

1. how many are using controller with minimal assists,
  2. how many are using no controller assists on a controller
  3. how many are using a wheel with minimal assists
  4. How many are using a wheel with no assists

Do that and then you have a point at all. It should be obvious then if I am "wrong" or your fabrication dismisses the inherent advantages of wheels. Of which I seriously doubt.
I use a wheel most of the time (g29) but use a controller from time to time for various reasons. I find that I can put in a very similar ( sometimes even better) lap time with both. Same assist settings (abs) only. Using a wheel seems to make it easier to be consistent for me at least. Just curious what are you using for a wheel or controller ? 🍻

I think a wheel provides a more "immersive" input especially for a driving game.

It also has a higher range of motion/fidelity that can make it easier to be more precise.

But you'll get good with any input method with enough practice and understanding I think.
You can get good with any tool. But why would you pick a stick if you can buy a monkey wrench to turn the bolt? One is obviously better for the job.

It's this very simple fact, that this fella I'm " arguing" with likes to ignore. Unfortunately there are really a majority of people out there who thrive on intellectual dishonesty in the name of animalistic "fun". Trolls, we used to call them.

Last edited:
I use a wheel most of the time (g29) but use a controller from time to time for various reasons. I find that I can put in a very similar ( sometimes even better) lap time with both. Same assist settings (abs) only. Using a wheel seems to make it easier to be consistent for me at least. Just curious what are you using for a wheel or controller ? 🍻
I've used a Wheel for every sim game I have. Assetto corsa, competizione, Projects cars 2, GT6/Sport. GT7 am waiting on an adapter.

Gran Turismo is a game so it doesn't matter what would happen in real life
That's a great point if you want to lazily win the arguement by virtue of saying "who care's about this arguement anyways, it's just a game so what, GT7 aint realistic". Yeah no. Not very convincing. Again, Not addressing the point I've made, but instead you've opted to strawman multiple paragraphs, individually and rather semantically, ironically. Your analysis was hilariously scathing and patronizing because you had no rationale for the arguments you tried to make earlier. OKay then! Keep it up, champ. Bring on the sleeze

Last edited:
I've used a Wheel for every sim game I have. Assetto corsa, competizione, Projects cars 2, GT6/Sport. GT7 am waiting on an adapter.
Nice! I’ve used one for like the last 3 years or so and can’t imagine going back to using a controller again for racing games.

It's this very simple fact, that this fella I'm " arguing" with likes to ignore.
I've not ignored anything, you've just made something up to get angry at. I've addressed all your points, and if you want some data so badly, we can pop on over to the Time Trials thread and look at some lovely data courtesy of the equally lovely @half_sourly.

Here's part of the Time Trials leaderboard they make every week for each Time Trial. Of course, there's no way to get the exact data you want (and I know you know that, which is why you're trying to make a point out of it) but we can see the peripherals that each person uses to get the goal. This, roughly, represents about 10% of people in the top 5000.

So let's do a bit of math. I will exclude the 'mixed' input players because I don't know which they used, though I know I used a gamepad here so I'll count myself as that.

We have 31 wheel users here, and 19 controller users making up the top 50. So 62% on wheel and 38% on gamepad. Which is about what I'd expect, considering people who take the game seriously enough to place high in the rankings are probably likelier to want a wheel for both the feel and the advantages that it does present, where it's needed. That's why I got one, because the tyre wear in GTWS and Sport Mode races was pretty much impossible to contend with on a gamepad.

I'm curious if this is higher or lower than you expected it to be. I don't even know what the point of needing this data is, because your entire point is made up anyway.
1703768440636.png

That's a great point if you want to lazily win the arguement by virtue of saying "who care's about this arguement anyways, it's just a game so what, GT7 aint realistic". Yeah no. Not very convincing. Again, Not addressing the point I've made, but instead you've opted to strawman multiple paragraphs, individually and rather semantically, ironically. Your analysis was hilariously scathing and patronizing because you had no rationale for the arguments you tried to make earlier. OKay then! Keep it up, champ. Bring on the sleeze

This is insanely ironic considering I've addressed everything you said and all you've done is insult me for it. Try reading what I said in its entirety instead of making a strawman (again!) out of one point? The point is the fact it's a game means it can do things that reality cant, such as on the fly adjust the inputs of a gamepad.

I would love it if you could point out where I said "who cares" or "GT7 aint realistic" or "it's just a game so what" - I think going forward I'd like us to focus on where I said these things!

You're a grown man, I shouldn't need to repeat myself - and neither should you need to feel the desire to make quotes up because you can't stand someone calling you out.

Last edited:
Back