GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,060 comments
The first thing I did this evening is try and get a time to below a 2:02.XX and ended up with a 2:03.015... Close, but no cigar for me on that goal. I also did this in the Huracan which I find a bit more stable than the Porsche. If you need a car to try I suggest the Huracan, but your experience may vary.

My first race of the night has me P5 on the grid and I had a great race with the top 4 after we broke away from the rest of the field. I did get into the back of a Porsche driver (in the Rexy livery that put a dumb smile on my face) entering the Triangle after they had a bad R130 exit. I let them rejoin and pass me and I lost a few places, but I had to give that spot back. I finish P4 after it's all said and done.

My second race put me P6 on the grid and there is another Huracan in the field so that was cool to see. I have a massive spin after I hit the astroturf on the exit of R130. I get a wall collision penalty as I was a passenger after my spin and I had no control. I fall to P11 and I get back to P9 after my penalty is done. Two other drivers had massive 4 and 5 second penalties so I jumped them to get some spots. A driver just goes straight into the grass and I take the freebie. A few drivers spin and I finish P6 where I began so not to bad after my spin.

I stop racing there as I wanted to get a 2:02.XXX as I was so close earlier. I spend some time and eventually land on a new time of 2:02.8XX with an optimal of 2:02.4XX which know I can do. I am very excited that I cracked that 2:02 time barrier and it should move me up the starting grid a bit.

I also wanted an opinion of a move I made against the car that went on the grass. I am allowed to make a move like this, or should I take a tight line and not cut across? I've done it before, and I’ve had it done to me and I would prefer not to make a bad move like that if it’s discouraged.

Last edited:
I also wanted an opinion of a move I made against the car that went on the grass. I am allowed to make a move like this, or should I take a tight line and not cut across? I've done it before, and I’ve had it done to me and I would prefer not to make a bad move like that if it’s discouraged.
That is absolutely fine and expected racing behaviour.

Don't think much about it mate, if you can pull back across without contact just crack on.

Of all the videos I've seen on this forum this is a non video bud. You are all good on that. It's just racing :)

Got called trash today and that I needed to stick to my line by a German in second who lunged me on the inside of turn 9 on Daily B. Of course he couldn't make the corner from the inside so he ended up on the grass, I carried on taking the racing line through the turn and didn't really feel obligated to give any space for him to rejoin the track which would've messed me up for turn 10.
He ended up spinning out after he bumped into me trying to rejoin the track, I went on to win. My ratings went up and his ratings went down.

Choose where you lunge and how you do it :cheers:

Last edited:
I'll keep you all posted on my progress later, but we have to go to the store and pick up some food/drinks so I won't be able to play gt7 until Saturday-Sunday.

Had a pretty productive day today, ran a total of 4 races (all race B) and aced 3/4. Last lap of race 4 I got loose in the first set of turns and lost a ton of momentum. Still managed 4th though. Everyone seemed to be on their best behavior today for the most part lol really though, some really good racing today

Attachments

• IMG_8833.jpeg
    IMG_8833.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
That is absolutely fine and expected racing behaviour.

Don't think much about it mate, if you can pull back across without contact just crack on.

Of all the videos I've seen on this forum this is a non video bud. You are all good on that. It's just racing :)
That's what I thought. I was just wondering if I broke some weird unwritten rule for something like the pass I did.

No words.
View attachment 1316468

Jumped 1000 spots on the global board. I still want to crack the top 1000…
View attachment 1316469
I've got a couple to offer, wanna hear 'em???? These certainly weren't the first to course my lips, but, nice lap!😁

I had about 45 minutes yesterday and tried a couple...didn't go particularly well. Did try my go to set-up and you were spot-on @Carlos Fandango , it helped in some places, tanked in others. The lynch-pin was being slower out of Spoon. That ain't gonna work. Went back to default and was hittin' low to very low twos but couldn't best my current qualifier.

In the end, I scored my daily workout ticket. While I only completed a couple laps I ended-up clocking 81 frustrating miles. That was the (sad) pinnacle of my achievements for the night.🤣

:cheers:

Last edited:
Do you guys use some kind of repository for tunes? Seems to be a mainstay now, and a lot of the Gr3 cars that are very fun to drive are also like dancing on a high wire (R8, AMG '20, RCZ), maybe I should just learn to DIY it already....

Do you guys use some kind of repository for tunes? Seems to be a mainstay now, and a lot of the Gr3 cars that are very fun to drive are also like dancing on a high wire (R8, AMG '20, RCZ), maybe I should just learn to DIY it already....
I think most people either take notes (and lose them🤣) or they count on a community go-to like Praiano's tunes. There are others that post tunes as well, just can't recall them at the moment.

To be honest, I was all-in on tuning at first and felt it was a 'must-do' thing. After a while, though, I think I've realized I'm just not at a level wherein it makes a huge difference between me and errybody else. There's times when it's been a significant assist, better out of a problematic corner, for instance, but not yet a total game changer. That said, It is kinda fun taking the time to really figure it out, and if only to better understand how it all works. Highly recommend for that component of it. But, and for racing, I've devolved to "take it or leave it" mode until I get my DR S rating.🙃

If I had the time and skillz, I'm sure it could make an impact...but I've neither.😁

:cheers:

No, but I take screen shots of my tunes and keep them accessible on a network share at home so I can look them up while on my rig.

As for my current M6 tune, I completely made that up, based on things I've learned over the last couple months of tuning. Along with testing the feel of the car through corners, acceleration and braking stability I look at:

• Lower the spring rate (natural frequency) if running racing hards to minimum, while still allowing for bias between front and rear based on defaults (I also look at the weight balance of the car and may adjust accordingly depending on where the most weight is - front/rear). So for my current car, the NF for the rear is minimum but the front has a bit more.
  • Dampers, you want to tune the dampers so that the front remains controlled through weigh shift and curb bounce. For the back, I aim to prevent squat under acceleration and lift on braking. With the M6 I found the front could be left alone and I only upped the rear for more compression and expansion damping while leaving a 25 spread.
  • For anti-roll bar, this was tuned to balance with the dampers. As the front dampers were left on the softer side to keep the wheels on the ground, I upped the front ARB to control roll. For the rear, as that was more concerned about dive and squat rather than roll, I left at default for most laps. My fastest last night, may have been tweaked - I need to check.
  • Finally, I tweak brake bias on the fly while testing but leave it at one setting for race - I'm not skilled enough to change BB in race for different parts of the track. For the M6 I run a little rear bias and it is all tuned for turn 1&2.
Anyway, I don't really know what I am doing but this is my thought process and the logic I go through.

EDIT: The biggest single thing though that allowed be to drive the M6 fast? This may sound counter intuitive but I increased the TCS to 2. On 1 it is far too easy to power oversteer out on some of Suzuka's corners with the RH and TCS 0 - forget about it. It you drive perfectly, it won't cut in anyway, and if you don't it's a safetly net. In fact it allows you to get the power on sooner, as it protects you from yourself, than you can on TCS1 as with that you have to be more cautious and hence lose time.

EDIT2: also if you can tune your brake force (I can with my Fanatec gear) that can help. For most of Suzuka you don't want to brake over 50% of force. Only really into the hairpin and into the Casio Triangle are you using 100% braking. All the other corners are about weight shift and trail braking.

Last edited:
It's annoying as it was the Dutchman in the Lambo I briefly passed giving him the inside to maintain our positions.

You can pass the crashed car but you have to be in the same position when the flag clears (or you are far enough from the incident) it's the correct rules but in GT you race a lot closer and a lot less physical awareness. Also I imagine most players don't really understand flag rules to be fair.
But the virtual yellow flag says you can’t pass under yellow (just like irl).

At Catalunya this morning someone went into off at T1, yellow flag came out, and I gained a place with no penalty. This has been my experience 99% of the time since GTS days.

Had to join GT Sport in order to get that 50 race trophy and complete my trophy collection. For me, they would have to have a no BS no nannies race, using cars that are hard to master, and have more foot traffic to make it worthwhile, so I won't be returning to it once I hit my 50 races.

Overall, it is decently entertaining. I assumed it was a bit more competitive, but given that you qualify, it is possible to win the race and podiums are always in reach. The GT4/GT3 ones are harder, but then those cars are too easy to master anyway so margins are predictably small. That means there are probably too few players out there to make it competitive, which is a bit of a shock. Races aren't full grids all the time either.

To improve, I think they should allow the manual shifter and use cars with character, not GT3/GT4. For some reason only paddles work, which is very disappointing. This forces you to use nannies. Then traction control is allowed, which I also don't like. Should be no nannies race. This alone kills it for me as most people would use traction control given that it is available and that changes the race.

There is a stark contrast between driving with humans and AI. Humans are total animals with personal vendettas to run you off the road. I end up pitting lap 1 just get out of the pack and make strides.

But the virtual yellow flag says you can’t pass under yellow (just like irl).

At Catalunya this morning someone went into off at T1, yellow flag came out, and I gained a place with no penalty. This has been my experience 99% of the time since GTS days.
As long as you are far enough away from the incident.

Also I think as we all do they take a very track specific approach with penalties and some of the rules to be honest.

On another topic @TheNormsk I see your 2:01.5 and give you a 2:01.3 :)

IMG_0077.jpeg

[...]

EDIT: The biggest single thing though that allowed be to drive the M6 fast? This may sound counter intuitive but I increased the TCS to 2. On 1 it is far too easy to power oversteer out on some of Suzuka's corners with the RH and TCS 0 - forget about it. It you drive perfectly, it won't cut in anyway, and if you don't it's a safetly net. In fact it allows you to get the power on sooner, as it protects you from yourself, than you can on TCS1 as with that you have to be more cautious and hence lose time.
[...]
The TC0 meta really hurt the idea of using assists as part of the setup. Just too fast and too effective for a long time. Even minimal usage of traction control, like on specific corners or circumstances can be really helpful over the course of the race distance (given the race is long enough).

Problem is, the benefits are not as easy to quantify as something like qualifying times or FLaps. The probability element always muddies the water enough for the shoulda'-woulda'-coulda' thoughts to come out and play.

The TC0 meta really hurt the idea of using assists as part of the setup. Just too fast and too effective for a long time. Even minimal usage of traction control, like on specific corners or circumstances can be really helpful over the course of the race distance (given the race is long enough).

Problem is, the benefits are not as easy to quantify as something like qualifying times or FLaps. The probability element always muddies the water enough for the shoulda'-woulda'-coulda' thoughts to come out and play.
I think it is fair to say there is a huge amount of ability spread that needs to be factored in for these things as well.

Tidg, kie, metal, Rory, digit etc are some of the fastest in the world without using assists (AC and LFM aside where assists are performance enhancers not hindrances)

I think the way GT does it's thing can make it super knife edge for a lot of people and the way they model assists are more geared to keeping you progressing round the track, that sacrifices raw pace but it caters for less smooth inputs etc

Is using them the fastest way round? For me no although here and there I'll use TC1 for the first sector or more TC in weather.

99% of us aren't challenging these top guys but our peers so whatever makes you the most consistent, safe and respectful is what peeps need to use. Speed is a by product not a goal.

99% of us aren't challenging these top guys but our peers so whatever makes you the most consistent, safe and respectful is what peeps need to use. Speed is a by product not a goal.
I agree, for me it depends on the car and situation. For Gr.4 and sport cars I usually use no assists, Gr.3 usually TCS1 and Gr.2 and higher often TCS2. But if we're on racing softs then I'm often no assists, and if the racing hards are especially slippery as Suzuka is this week, then I may up it. It really comes down to consistency. If I am laping quick with no assists then that is great, but if that comes with me potentially crashing out 3 out of 4 laps, then I will take TCS even if there is a a fractional second penalty. Staying on track and consistency lap over lap is more important than out and out speed.

Also, I'm not afraid to use counter steer if I see an advantage. I started this week with CS for the M6. I've since dropped it as my technique improved as I learned the handling of the car in this particular combo. Again, assists are a progression. Use them when they are an advantage to your particular style of driving, and don't when they're not.

Last edited:
I agree, for me it depends on the car and situation. For Gr.4 and sport cars I usually use no assists, Gr.3 usually TCS1 and Gr.2 and higher often TCS2. But if we're on racing softs then I'm often no assists, and if the racing hards are especially slippery as Suzuka is this week, then I may up it. It really comes down to consistency. If I am laping quick with no assists then that is great, but if that comes with me potentially crashing out 3 out of 4 laps, then I will take TCS even if there is a a fractional second penalty. Staying on track and consistency lap over lap is more important than out and out speed.

Also, I'm not afraid to use counter steer if I see an advantage. I started this week with CS for the M6. I've since dropped it as my technique improved as I learned the handling of the car in this particular combo. Again, assists are a progression. Use them when they are an advantage to your particular style of driving, and don't when they're not.
I think the thing to remember is with time and practice you don't need those things. But if they make you faster or better now then it doesn't really matter neither does car choice but we all have our favs etc.

The reality is, ultimate pace comes from ultimate control regardless of input devices. It's a game to be gamed and balanced.

I really have no strong opinions on any assist including apex markers or braking zones. Visually I feel they clutter the true markers and also add a layer of visual clutter. They also create a semi false version of the world in that some how because you brake in them you'll stop or if you clip an apex marker you are going fast.

But we are all fairly old peeps on here so get it. Whatever makes people faster is cool, anything that teaches them race craft is even better. That comes from racing and we all need a beer for that because that is what we love!

but it caters for less smooth inputs etc
This is me in a nutshell. And I've been that way all my life, in gaming. When I played a platformer that required walking slowly across a beam, this was always the hardest for me, because I'm not "smooth on the inputs."

And it has held true for sim racing. I'm very much a foot slammer, even though I know it's not the best way to drive. So assists help counteract that for me.
Speed is a by product not a goal.
Good comment - I think most of us have experienced the lap where it felt slow, and ended up being our best time. The reason it felt slow was because it was smoother - with less harsh braking.

assist including apex markers
The think I like about apex markers isn't that they supposedly point at the apex - it's that they're easier to see when the track is curvy with elevation changes, so I can use them as a target when coming up on a blind-ish corner.. And honestly, at Suzuka, I'd turn at the wrong place at the final chicane all the time, without having the apex marker.

he think I like about apex markers isn't that they supposedly point at the apex - it's that they're easier to see when the track is curvy with elevation changes, so I can use them as a target when coming up on a blind-ish corner.. And honestly, at Suzuka, I'd turn at the wrong place at the final chicane all the time, without having the apex marker.
And that makes a lot of sense.

We all drive differently and familiarity is probably the key for me personally.

I have no opinion only experience. You will get to a point where muscle memory on the pedals or braking start to become natural and you'll get faster just through that.

The only issue with the markers is that in race they create false targets and distract from what's happening around you. Not for everyone I admit.

There is one question I would ask just broadly, is we are on the 2nd or 3rd repeat of these races or cars/track combos. So nothing should feel scary or new. It's not like they added random corners while we were asleep.

So it's easily something people have experience with and 2/3 rounds of TT practice at.

Even the LFA at Fuji is just the slow version of the TT last week.

So really the question is, what is the limiting factor learning the track and adapting the car or is it the game gives you things to aim at?

I have no idea but I don't use these things so my view is very much biased in that regard.

Also I think as we all do they take a very track specific approach with penalties and some of the rules to be

Also I think as we all do they take a very track specific approach with penalties and some of the rules to be honest.

On another topic @TheNormsk I see your 2:01.5 and give you a 2:01.3 :)

View attachment 1316613
Or is it that you get the place of the driver who is off track (and caused the yellow), but if you pass someone else you get penalized?

Re TC and assists - I don’t use them apart from ABS, but irl GT3 and GT4 cars all run TC.

Last edited:
Or is it that you get the place of the driver who is off track (and caused the yellow), but if you pass someone else you get penalized?
Yes that is the flag rule, you can't overtake under a yellow the yellow offending car(s) are not counted as they are typically in a barrier.

You can pass crashed cars. You can't pass another car not involved in the incident. It's as simple as it sounds.

Edit:

Yellow - slow down there is an incident no position gaining is allowed and you must GO SLOWER

Red - stop or return to the pits. No debate.

Black flag or variants of it - driver is required to come to the pits or end their race.

Yellow/black with orange/or crossed flags indicate fluid on the track, GO SLOWER

Blue - faster car (either different class or you are being lapped) if the lead car has gone through already you can defend a little unless they are clearly faster and you are impeding. If it is the lead car you have to find a suitable place to let them through. If it's being lapped for multiple times them you must let them
Through at a reasonable time/corner allocation.

GT enforces them sort of but are a bit liberal with them as
There is no real danger to drivers, Marshalls or the crowd so they flex them
A bit but a yellow flag is a good indicator of trouble ahead.

The same as a fire truck or ambulance going passed you on the road....probably something you wanna slow down a bit for.

Last edited:
Yes that is the flag rule, you can't overtake under a yellow the yellow offending car(s) are not counted as they are typically in a barrier.

You can pass crashed cars. You can't pass another car not involved in the incident. It's as simple as it sounds.

Edit:

Yellow - slow down there is an incident no position gaining is allowed and you must GO SLOWER

Red - stop or return to the pits. No debate.

Black flag or variants of it - driver is required to come to the pits or end their race.

Yellow/black with orange/or crossed flags indicate fluid on the track, GO SLOWER

Blue - faster car (either different class or you are being lapped) if the lead car has gone through already you can defend a little unless they are clearly faster and you are impeding. If it is the lead car you have to find a suitable place to let them through. If it's being lapped for multiple times them you must let them
Through at a reasonable time/corner allocation.

GT enforces them sort of but are a bit liberal with them as
There is no real danger to drivers, Marshalls or the crowd so they flex them
A bit but a yellow flag is a good indicator of trouble ahead.

The same as a fire truck or ambulance going passed you on the road....probably something you wanna slow down a bit for.
The one that isn’t enforced at all is slow down! You’re never penalized in my experience for staying at race pace as you pass the car which has gone off.

And since no one else slows either you’re unlikely to pass under yellow (which I presume would trigger a penalty?).

Fwiw, I think the blue flag rules vary among race series.

Just 2 races for me tonight. I didn't improve my time as I only ran a few practice laps. I know the track well enough so it's not a big deal.

My first race has me in P6 and everything was going fine until I get into the back of someone in turn 1. I get a 3 second penalty for forcing a car off track. I know why I got it, but I don't think I deserved it. So, my race was done and i finish P12.

My second race had me in P7 and I was having trouble controlling the Huracan. It felt like a different car compared to yesterday. I was sliding all over the track and it felt like the car would not turn into the corners. I make a huge mistake and go off track by going too wide at the exit of the Dunlop turn. I was also the victim of a punt to pass and that annoyed me a bunch. I finished P10 and I'm done for the night. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

The first thing I did this evening is try and get a time to below a 2:02.XX and ended up with a 2:03.015... Close, but no cigar for me on that goal. I also did this in the Huracan which I find a bit more stable than the Porsche. If you need a car to try I suggest the Huracan, but your experience may vary.

My first race of the night has me P5 on the grid and I had a great race with the top 4 after we broke away from the rest of the field. I did get into the back of a Porsche driver (in the Rexy livery that put a dumb smile on my face) entering the Triangle after they had a bad R130 exit. I let them rejoin and pass me and I lost a few places, but I had to give that spot back. I finish P4 after it's all said and done.

My second race put me P6 on the grid and there is another Huracan in the field so that was cool to see. I have a massive spin after I hit the astroturf on the exit of R130. I get a wall collision penalty as I was a passenger after my spin and I had no control. I fall to P11 and I get back to P9 after my penalty is done. Two other drivers had massive 4 and 5 second penalties so I jumped them to get some spots. A driver just goes straight into the grass and I take the freebie. A few drivers spin and I finish P6 where I began so not to bad after my spin.

I stop racing there as I wanted to get a 2:02.XXX as I was so close earlier. I spend some time and eventually land on a new time of 2:02.8XX with an optimal of 2:02.4XX which know I can do. I am very excited that I cracked that 2:02 time barrier and it should move me up the starting grid a bit.

I also wanted an opinion of a move I made against the car that went on the grass. I am allowed to make a move like this, or should I take a tight line and not cut across? I've done it before, and I’ve had it done to me and I would prefer not to make a badge move like that if it’s discouraged.

Your move is clean but you risk getting rear ended. Better off staying in the middle.

Back