GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Ok, I think the question I'm trying to get at shouldn't be any harder than yes or no, in the real world when we look at objects around us they appear to be a certain size & distance away, when we play GT on a TV screen PD has decided to use a wide FOV, so in cockpit view those objects appear to be further away and smaller than they actually are, so simply if I sit in the cockpit (maybe Jordon can only answer this) will the objects around me appear the same distance away as my eyes would see them in the real world or will the appear as small as GT7 default FOV.
It's 1:1 scale, the distances or objects sizes will appear the same as in real life.

Ok, I think the question I'm trying to get at shouldn't be any harder than yes or no, in the real world when we look at objects around us they appear to be a certain size & distance away, when we play GT on a TV screen PD has decided to use a wide FOV, so in cockpit view those objects appear to be further away and smaller than they actually are, so simply if I sit in the cockpit (maybe Jordon can only answer this) will the objects around me appear the same distance away as my eyes would see them in the real world or will the appear as small as GT7 default FOV.
Yes, when you are in VR, it is real. The size, distance etc. is 1:1 with reality. The only 'FOV' is that of the screen, but that is more like if you were wearing a helmet, it's the width of the visor.

If you sit in the cockpit, the car next to you will look like it is 5 metres long and about 2 metres away from you. It is perfectly car sized. In a rally game, the co-driver sat next to you is human sized and sat just next to you.

It's frustratingly hard to articulate! It isn't like you're looking at a screen and the perspective / view on the screen moves. You are inside the world, it is all around you. As far as your brain is concerned, you aren't looking at a screen, you are looking at reality.

Driving the Ford GT race car last night at Catalunya in cockpit view, there was a number of issues, in addition to the tunnel view because of the wide FOV, the drivers hands & wheel blocked most the view out of the cockpit when coming into a turns, so much that I couldn't see the road much less the apex (adjustable seating position would fix most of this) which caused a few offs, I will be curious with VR, how much view is being blocked, in other racing sims I usually adjust the seating height to minimize this issue or simply turn off the hands/wheel.

Driving the Ford GT race car last night at Catalunya in cockpit view, there was a number of issues, in addition to the tunnel view because of the wide FOV, the drivers hands & wheel blocked most the view out of the cockpit when coming into a turns, so much that I couldn't see the road much less the apex (adjustable seating position would fix most of this) which caused a few offs, I will be curious with VR, how much view is being blocked, in other racing sims I usually adjust the seating height to minimize this issue or simply turn off the hands/wheel.
In GTSport, you simply could calibrate the VR headset to a "lower default" position so that in game your head was higher.
This was not an option in the game itself but by the VR calibration, unlike Beat Saber for example.
Hopefully this is adressed in GT7.

As a sidenote: if you did calibrate PSVR, then start GTSport, you could sit further left or right and create the illusion of riding shotgun. I did a few passenger runs of VR Nürburgring this way, the passenger having the VR while I was driving on TV picture.

Last edited:
In GTSport, you simply could calibrate the VR headset to a "lower default" position so that in game your head was higher.
This was not an option in the game itself but by the VR calibration, unlike Beat Saber for example.
Hopefully this is adressed in GT7.
There are limited adjustments for the cockpit view position in the base game - up/down and back/forth. I usually move it around to try and get a better view of the mirrors. At least VR will fix that issue instantly.

Last edited:
Yes, when you are in VR, it is real. The size, distance etc. is 1:1 with reality. The only 'FOV' is that of the screen, but that is more like if you were wearing a helmet, it's the width of the visor.

If you sit in the cockpit, the car next to you will look like it is 5 metres long and about 2 metres away from you. It is perfectly car sized. In a rally game, the co-driver sat next to you is human sized and sat just next to you.

It's frustratingly hard to articulate! It isn't like you're looking at a screen and the perspective / view on the screen moves. You are inside the world, it is all around you. As far as your brain is concerned, you aren't looking at a screen, you are looking at reality.
This is pretty much spot on when I try explaining to people the difference between VR and pancake screen. The only other thing I mention is it's similar to putting on 3d glasses, but instead of the TV only displaying the 3d objects, it's all around you because of the FOV.

Not to be pedantic but doesn’t it only work with wired stereo headphones or wifi headphones.

Bluetooth doesn’t have the bandwidth (or I may just be getting confused with Dolby Atmos)
Thanks for the clarification, I think you're right, at least I think I've heard something along those lines. Surprising how confusing the 3D audio capabilities and restrictions are on this console lol.

Eh saw other responses, so that might be wrong, but at least with the VR headset it will have a dedicated port.

Last edited:
Guys the only VR machine that lets you play from a third person view is the Virtual Boy! You should target that one instead of the PSVR2... :sly:
1280x720.jpg

The money for my charging station left my account on Wednesday & the money for the psvr2 went today, I cannot wait to get on it! :D

I barely played this game over the last year and I have already earned 46.87M credits and got the Three Legendary Cars trophy without grinding. The majority of my time is from the Menu Books, licenses, challenges and twelve GTWS races. Most of the credits, however, came from the Sport Mode time trials. Silver is pretty easy to get if you are an average or above player and pays 1M every ten days.

View attachment 1231669
You have some catching up to do! :crazy:

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies if I'm wrong here, but I'm assuming you haven't used VR before?

As others have said, it's impossible to really describe / get across to someone until they've experienced it, but honestly, the FOV of the headset is basically how wide your view of the world is. Imagine wearing a set of swimming goggles or a dive mask.

The 'cockpit view' in GT7 is irrelevant once you're in VR, you aren't looking at a view, you are just in the car. I can't articulate it any better than that, there aren't angles to worry about or things limiting what you can see, as far as your brain is concerned and your vision, you're sat in the car, you can see the same way you can see sat in a real car (with the exception as above that it might be a bit like you're wearing a mask that slightly limits your peripheral vision).

It really isn't like a cockpit view that you can move with your head, you genuinely are just in the car, it is the most natural feeling thing and if you haven't experienced VR before, it is going to blow your mind :D
Thanks, I was just trying to alleviate any concerns the other poster had concerning FOV. You gave a much better detailed explanation. The test reviews I've seen are all I needed to put in my preorder. :)

I'm in Florida. Just got the shipping email. The details say: "Your package is on the way" and when I go in to the details, it says:

Awaiting Carrier Pickup
LATEST UPDATE
TODAY5:22 PM
SHIPPER CREATED A LABEL, UPS HAS NOT RECEIVED THE PACKAGE YET.

Then I was given the option to enter my mobile number to receive real time updates.

Btw, I purchased from Sony Direct

I'm naive to the VR scene as I've never tried it before.

I just learned that there is a USB cable from the headset to the PS5. Does that NOT bother anyone else?

I only bought the unit for GT7 because I wanted a different driving experience. But, I can't imagine it would be comfortable to have a cord running from the headset to the PS5 itself.

The review I saw said the competing VR headset is wireless but that's mostly for PC games and I want to play on my PS5. I'm really conflicted. I don't know how I missed this when I first started watching videos highlighting the PS VR2

Have any of you dealt with this kind of thing before?
I know this has been discussed quite a bit, but I can confirm the cord is not an issue.
One thing I'm still a bit unclear even after watching Jordan's review, is about the FOV in PSVR2, in normal gameplay on the TV screen PD uses a wide FOV maybe 70 degrees, which makes everything a bit smaller & appear to be a further distance, which makes it awkward in cockpit view, so I normally don't use it, I'm wandering when Jordon's played GT7 in VR was the FOV closer to how we see the world (FOV 54 degrees) or the same wide FOV that we see in normal gameplay.
Yes. The objects appear the same distance away as your eyes would see them in the real world when using VR in GT7.
I mentioned this a few pages back, but I expect some cars will not be popular or fun to drive in VR precisely because they are not ergonomic or have awkward cockpits in real life. Older race cars, especially, were built with speed and weight prioritized over driver visibility. It will be interesting to try them out.
In the Digital Foundry review of PSVR2 he said the FOV is 110 degrees, and that the vertical view is basically equivalent to our natural vision, while the horizontal view you will notice the edge of the screen (like most VR headsets). But importantly he said that it crosses the line of feeling like you're looking through a porthole vs having a full view of the game.
That's a good way of putting it and can agree with Digital Foundry's assessment. The vertical visibility was one of the first things I noticed when I put the headset on.

Yes, UPS tracking number. I'm in Arizona, USA. Looks like it will indeed still be the 22nd:
View attachment 1231690
View attachment 1231689
I just came here to read this thread and I was getting jealous because I hadn't received anything from Sony yet and I've been reading about everyone receiving charging and shipping notifications the past 2 days.

I literally received the e-mail 30 seconds ago, just before I could respond to the thread!

Estimated Delivery: 2/22 as well. Fantastic!

I have a feeling this is going to be a busy thread next week (unless of course everyone is too busy racing in VR to post on the forum) :lol:

Yes, no (you kinda asked two questions)

In 2d, the game developer needs to define a window through which you look, including how far your viewer is from the screen (which defines your field of view). This is completely different in VR, the developer defines two windows, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Each of those views is bringing an image with no magnification (ideally), and I'm also hoping 🤞🤞🤞that because the headset has an eye distance adjustment (distance between eyes) that this distance is fed into the graphics engine that generates the left and right images. IRL a person with eyes wide apart and a person with eyes close together see different images, which of course their brain interprets and has calibrated over the course of their life. If someone with wide eye distance views images for some with close eye distance, the world view would look smaller to them. Hoping Sony Playstation took this into account.

I can't believe they're shipping these next day air, seems like Sony is eating a lot of unnecessary shipping costs just to make sure noone gets it early.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but I expect some cars will not be popular or fun to drive in VR precisely because they are not ergonomic or have awkward cockpits in real life. Older race cars, especially, were built with speed and weight prioritized over driver visibility. It will be interesting to try them out.
I'm not sure about that. Older race (and road) cars tend to have larger greenhouses or the drivers head perched way up in the cockpit. Compare for example the 962 vs 919 or MP4/4 vs SF19. Modern race cars that could be a bigger issue, sat low down, wrap around seats etc., although that in itself will be a unique experience. You will have the use VR's freedom to make use of side views and so on.

I'm not sure about that. Older race (and road) cars tend to have larger greenhouses or the drivers head perched way up in the cockpit. Compare for example the 962 vs 919 or MP4/4 vs SF19. Modern race cars that could be a bigger issue, sat low down, wrap around seats etc., although that in itself will be a unique experience. You will have the use VR's freedom to make use of side views and so on.
Not really. Older cars are way smaller inside. How about the Toyota Sports 800, Toyota 2000GT. Tiny inside. An MX-5 is like a Rolls compared to those two.
Depending on the car, Classic race cars are pretty much their road car variants. The Ford GT Mk1 has less room than the modern Ford GT. Jordan mentioned the newer prototypes. I’d say those are equivalent in head space to a classic Prototype like the Group C cars rather than the 917K.
I’ve never sat in a Formula car. So, I can’t speak on that.
As for comparing old vs new, I’ve owned a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass. They aren’t as big inside as one would think. A Golf has more head and legroom.

Last edited:
Back