GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,828 comments
Afaik psvr2 does not have glass lenses.
Alcohol (and cleaners potentially) are a no go for plastic lenses & anti glare coating.

So definitely double check!

Those are good. I use them, and have used them on very expensive kit, and things were good.

@Lomic only had things go weird like that about 6mo ago. Fully cleaned the front lens’s and rebooted everything and it cleared up.
Hmm... Yeah I'm wondering if they are glass or not. I thought they were probably poly-carbonate. But I'm not sure. But the Zeiss wipes say they are safe for all glasses and some of those are polycarbonate and also coated. So it's not extremely clear what is safe and not on these PSVR2 lenses.

edit- on sony website it says to use dry cloth only.. except ok to use non cloth if specifically made for lenses, does not say ok to use alcohol or water.

"How to clean PS VR2 lenses​

Wipe only with a soft, dry cloth, made specifically for cleaning lenses.

Do not use paper products such as paper towels or tissues unless specifically intended for cleaning lenses. Leaving water droplets or dirt on the lenses may cause deterioration or degradation."

I can use those wet wipes for something else if they will damage coating on PSVR2 lenses over time I guess. I'm just not sure if I want to risk it.

Last edited:
I think the key point here is:
BWX
unless specifically intended for cleaning lenses
I just ordered some of the Zeiss cleaners only to realize we have like a 1000 of them in a drawer that we order like a decade ago. Some have dried out thought so it is probably good to bin those and start with a fresh batch.

I've been trying to use microfiber wipes but I am still finding smears in my lenses. The Zeiss claims no alcohol or ammonia so should be okay. I would guess that the trick would be to use the lens cleaning wipe and then do a once over with a clean microfiber cloth to ensure no moisture remains on the lens. The wipe should remove the oils allowing the microfiber to stay cleaner for longer.

Aye. It bugs everyone, and makes no sense whatsoever...
I guess just another one of those low-hanging fruit PD oddities.
I was thinking this will be added/fixed immediately, and here we are a year++ after release with no change on this.
:/

Please @ PD, add all options non vr drivers have, or better, make them fully customizable for vr & non vr (and add tire temp & all... :D).
Well i have a bad feeling about this (VR hud).
They might hold it back intentionaly to ensure equity for all drivers in sport mode.
Well trained VR pilots could have an edge over the others.

In other words it could be possible that they are gently pushing online competitive racing on flat screens without spoiling the psvr2 sales.

Normaly you would expect all the world series competitions with a headset on the pilots faces. Which is not the case..

I had these thoughts as i was remembering how PD blocked the use of gearbox shifters for the same reason in GT Sport.
They did officialy communicate about it though.

Another point is the limits of this technology for professional driving: eye strain (reprojection ghosting) and heat. Hard to spend 8 hours training with the psvr2 on.

Hope that future will prove me wrong.
Leader board, gaps, oponents tire types AND throttle / brake bars... would kill for that 😅

Last edited:
Recieved my Temu order today, I just need to rearange my sim rig corner (again), many things were purchased and there is just not enough space for everything now, but I'm very happy with the VR stand :D

1723487584867.jpg 1723487584829.jpg

BWX
Hmm... Yeah I'm wondering if they are glass or not. I thought they were probably poly-carbonate. But I'm not sure. But the Zeiss wipes say they are safe for all glasses and some of those are polycarbonate and also coated. So it's not extremely clear what is safe and not on these PSVR2 lenses.

edit- on sony website it says to use dry cloth only.. except ok to use non cloth if specifically made for lenses, does not say ok to use alcohol or water.

"How to clean PS VR2 lenses​

Wipe only with a soft, dry cloth, made specifically for cleaning lenses.

Do not use paper products such as paper towels or tissues unless specifically intended for cleaning lenses. Leaving water droplets or dirt on the lenses may cause deterioration or degradation."

I can use those wet wipes for something else if they will damage coating on PSVR2 lenses over time I guess. I'm just not sure if I want to risk it.

I used the Zeiss lens cloths and noticed the coatings began to come off. This may have be exacerbated by my glasses scuffing the lens too but fortunately my headset was replaced under warranty and I immediately bought some VR Optician lenses.

I used the Zeiss lens cloths and noticed the coatings began to come off. This may have be exacerbated by my glasses scuffing the lens too but fortunately my headset was replaced under warranty and I immediately bought some VR Optician lenses.
Interesting. I don't wear glasses in the goggles, but it's hard to say if the wet wipes caused it or not.

I think the key point here is:

I just ordered some of the Zeiss cleaners only to realize we have like a 1000 of them in a drawer that we order like a decade ago. Some have dried out thought so it is probably good to bin those and start with a fresh batch.

I've been trying to use microfiber wipes but I am still finding smears in my lenses. The Zeiss claims no alcohol or ammonia so should be okay. I would guess that the trick would be to use the lens cleaning wipe and then do a once over with a clean microfiber cloth to ensure no moisture remains on the lens. The wipe should remove the oils allowing the microfiber to stay cleaner for longer.
Yeah that's exactly what I would do, use the wet wipes and go over it with new dry Zeiss microfiber cloth.
But those wet wipes do have alcohol, but also say they are safe for lenses with coatings. So it's not exactly clear to me if Sony are including these types of lens wipes in their statement "unless they are made for lenses", etc.. It's not exactly clear and I don't want to mess up my lenses after being so extremely careful with them for so long, LOL. I guess the coating can wear over time, too.. not just after one use. If I had to bet, I'd say they are ok, but not 100% sure.

check the ingredients.

71l+lJtCe8L._SL1500_.jpg

These are the ones I have been using, (which I've mentioned before) but require washing the microfiber cloth periodically, which I haven't done yet. I just use a new spot on them each time (they are huge) and I have several packs. Washing them could introduce contaminates too though.
714+S+jqyDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I noticed some coating damage after three weeks with glasses. Now I have RX lens inserts so the wipe would be on that an not the VR lenses. Still those RX inserts were not exactly cheap themselves but it is less of a concern as I'll probably need new lenses every year or two anyway.
BWX
But those wet wipes do have alcohol, but also say they are safe for lenses with coatings
I just realized that ones I had at home are not lens wipes but screen wipes. Curiously, those ones are alcohol free.

IMG_8439.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually, I noticed some coating damage after three weeks with glasses. Now I have RX lens inserts so the wipe would be on that an not the VR lenses. Still those RX inserts were not exactly cheap themselves but it is less of a concern as I'll probably need new lenses every year or two anyway.

I just realized that ones I had at home are not lens wipes but screen wipes. Curiously, those ones are alcohol free.

View attachment 1380440
Interesting! I don't know, I think I may just keep using the dry microfiber cloths. Just as a precaution.

Re the lens wipes from Zeiss. I've been using them for maybe six months, with no problems. I'm an ex-Air Force photographer, and the Carl Zeiss lenses we used (Hasselblad cameras, I think) were EXTREMELY expensive and we were very careful when cleaning them.

I place most faith in Zeiss's recommendations and advice. They are optical experts. As I said earlier, I scratched the lenses on my VR2 despite aware of the dangers of wearing spectacles with the headset. I strongly recommend NOT wearing specs and getting lens inserts (mine are - I think - glass from VR Optician, who outsource the lens manufacture to ... ZEISS! LOL.

Last edited:
Normaly you would expect all the world series competitions with a headset on the pilots faces. Which is not the case..
Has this issue been discussed at all by PD? I've wondered if any top level competitors have wanted to use PSVR2 in the finals. Is the reason no one uses it that they don't want to, or is it not allowed, have any competitors even asked if they can use it?

Has this issue been discussed at all by PD? I've wondered if any top level competitors have wanted to use PSVR2 in the finals. Is the reason no one uses it that they don't want to, or is it not allowed, have any competitors even asked if they can use it?
That's a very good question ! Would be nice to hear something about that from the competitors.
I'm guessing that missing crucial informations at that driving level didn't motivated anyone though.

For the show, its better to see the faces anyway ;)

Last edited:
Sony, Polyphony Digital and their Gran Turismo "partners" ought to consider getting the GTWS drivers to do several exhibition races during the Grand Final in Amsterdam this year. It's a 3 day event, plenty of time to rack up and connect 16 PSVR2s and let 'em have some fun. They might get some high level feedback and possibly be incentivised to add to the VR interface.

Last edited:
Sony, Polyphony Digital and their Gran Turismo "partners" ought to consider getting the GTWS drivers to do several exhibition races during the Grand Final in Amsterdam this year. It's a 3 day event, plenty of time to rack up and connect 16 PSVR2s and let 'em have some fun. They might get some high level feedback and possibly be incentivised to add to the VR interface.
nice to hear !

Some weird replies there for a suggestion.
For the show, its better to see the faces anyway ;)
Yeah, this is the main reason why no live esports event has VR available.

But it's not insurmountable: they could make stickers to put on them instead of a vast, white expanse. Imagine Valerio Gallo's eyes, three times life-size, on the front of his VR2. Or a sticker of his posed photo, name, brand (in Manufacturers)...

Some weird replies there for a suggestion.

But it's not insurmountable: they could make stickers to put on them instead of a vast, white expanse. Imagine Valerio Gallo's eyes, three times life-size, on the front of his VR2. Or a sticker of his posed photo, name, brand (in Manufacturers)...

Ah. The way it was written made it sound like a quote. My bad.

I mean we never see race car drivers faces in real races...Id actually prefer to not see their faces, but thats me

Last edited:
They might hold it back intentionally to ensure equity for all drivers in sport mode.
Honestly, I think they're making a bespoke display for VR users and haven't gotten around to it yet. They're just very slow to implement things and don't communicate future plans.

I reached a similar conclusion to you in the past but if that were the case, they'd need to separate controller users from wheeled users to keep things truly even.

I mean we never see race car drivers faces in real races...Id actually prefer to not see their faces, but thats me
It'd be crazy heavy but I'm sure someone could make a PSVR2 helmet display lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd rather not see their faces. I rather not be reminded that the top drivers are a bunch of teenagers and young adults. I'd rather they be behind the mask. That way I can pretend they are a bunch of old dudes which would give me hope! :D

Last edited:
I tried those Zeiss wet wipes. I see weird purple reflections I never saw before and a slight haze that won't go away even after using a brand new dry Zeiss microfiber cloth. It's not terrible, they're not ruined or anything, but IMO they definitely mess with the coating. If you haven't already, I wouldn't use them if you have any reservations about it at all.

Just grab a used psvr2 at good price, waouh is my first réaction, so much better than the first psvr, on GT7 this huge, so much more details, the sense of scale make all the difference.

So far I loved it

This change completely the way you drive compare to the flat version

Just grab a used psvr2 at good price, waouh is my first réaction, so much better than the first psvr, on GT7 this huge, so much more details, the sense of scale make all the difference.

So far I loved it

This change completely the way you drive compare to the flat version

Welcome to the club. It’s the way GT7 is meant to be played imo.

No going back now.

What if GT8 drop support for psvr? Will we stop playing GT games?
I wouldnt stop playing, but Im sure I wouldnt put the amount of hours that I put on GT7 thanks to VR.
Imo, it would be a shot in the foot by them if it doesnt support it.

By the way, I cant imagine GT8 dropping on PS5 with the times that AAAs games takes nowadays.

Back