GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup S4 Champs: Akmuq, Hendrick, Chevrolet

• Thread starter Niop
  • 3,170 comments
Consistency is still the key to safely getting in to the Chase. Anyone that averages a 7th place finish in all 10 regular season races will almost certainly get in the Chase on points alone. Averaging a 7th place finish for 10 races will get you 100 total points. I'm betting that the 7th place driver will have something closer to 90 points, which only requires an average finish of 8th place each week, or 9th place with a lap led in every race. That should probably be everyone's reasonable goal each week.

As for the wild card, what it does is keep everyone's hopes of getting into the Chase alive right up until the last race of the regular season. In all likelyhood, most of the race winners will probably be in the top 7 in points after 10 races. If anyone outside the top 7 can grab a win, it gives them the chance to get in as the 8th driver in the Chase. The odds are good that everyone from 8th through 14th in points is going to start the Brickyard 400 with a chance to make the Chase if they can win the race. I think keeping everyone's title hopes alive through the very last race of the regular season makes it more exciting for everyone, which should be a good thing.

Haven't read this thread in a minute and was going back a few pages and seen this which reminded me of the past here:

Although I've been following NASCAR for a year or so, I've not seen much road racing in the past and what really surprised me was how much kerb those guys use. I mean, they're literally 4 wheels on the rumble strips at every chicane and running 10 metres wide on every other exit.

This is what I said way back in S2: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6216986#post6216986

Another discussion on cutting in this series with me making a comparision to real life and also in a heated discussion with Ryan again in S2:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6484084#post6484084
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6484121#post6484121
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6484885#post6484885

Funny thing is I was basically saying in S2 who cares about some cuts if your racing, thats what they do IRL. And while I was arguing that point. The whole discussion was really about giving Furi a huge penalty which moved me into a podium at Suzuka. So I think that's still a "gray" area.

Okay, sorry back on topic. Wild Card Good. Nationwide Better!

Haven't read this thread in a minute and was going back a few pages and seen this which reminded me of the past here:

This is what I said way back in S2: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6216986#post6216986

Another discussion on cutting in this series with me making a comparision to real life and also in a heated discussion with Ryan again in S2:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6484084#post6484084
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6484121#post6484121
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6484885#post6484885

Funny thing is I was basically saying in S2 who cares about some cuts if your racing, thats what they do IRL. And while I was arguing that point. The whole discussion was really about giving Furi a huge penalty which moved me into a podium at Suzuka. So I think that's still a "gray" area.

Okay, sorry back on topic. Wild Card Good. Nationwide Better!

Let me know when oil on the track is introduced in GT8 on PS5, and we can discuss "unintentional" cutting. ;)

EDIT - I also had to laugh going back to read "Paranoid Ken's" anti-Red Bull conspiracy posts. I announce that there are going to be penalties, and you had to automatically assume they were for you and your team, and it was only because we were out to get you for being successful.
Remember, Crazy, it's puff-puff-PASS. :lol:

kenkwilinski
I guess I just find it funny that red bull gets a pair in the top five n now we r finally assessing corner cutting. These kind of things should be enforced from day one.

Last edited:
MustangRyan
Let me know when oil on the track is introduced in GT8 on PS5, and we can discuss "unintentional" cutting. ;)

Oil on track has already been featured in a PS3 game (F1:CE) ;)

Could be in GT6 for all we know ;)

EDIT - I also had to laugh going back to read "Paranoid Ken's" anti-Red Bull conspiracy posts. I announce that there are going to be penalties, and you had to automatically assume they were for you and your team, and it was only because we were out to get you for being successful.
Remember, Crazy, it's puff-puff-PASS. :lol:

:dopey: :cool: :lol: Enough said :dunce:

If I hadn't put ACDC in the 10th spot, I wouldn't have known who to put in it, between you, RPH, Akmuq, and Matty. The biggest thing holding back my prediction for you this season is that I think you're going to give up a lot of points by start-and-parking 2 or 3 of the long races. That might not seem like much, but that extra 12-21 points could be the difference between being in or out of the Chase at the end of the regular season.

Didn't get a single win last season. =\
And I'm sure many of you think Redbull will be irrelevent this season. We'll just have to see about that...:mischievous:

I was very impressed with your run at Indy in the season finale. But, with a 2-car team, I feel like you, Matty, Furi, and Akmuq are at quite a disadvantage against the larger teams, especially on the ovals. Hopefully, the Chevy and Toyota teams can form some partial alliances, as was pretty common last season. It will definitely be beneficial for the smaller 2-car teams.

Could I have put you in the top 10 in place of a few of the drivers? Easily. Quite honestly, after about the first 5-7 spots, it's really just guesswork anyway. Most pre-season power rankings are wrong in retrospect. So, feel free to use that as some extra motivation to prove me wrong (I won't be surprised in the least).

This Power Ranking was really more about summing up what was seen from last season, and throwing in a little speculation and semi-educated guesses about how that will work out this season given everyone's new team alignment. For the 10th spot, I went with ACDC, mostly because he's the defending Daytona 500 champion, and his dominance in the few races he actually ran was just too much to ignore. If he shows up, he's a top-3 driver at Daytona/Indy/SSRX, no doubt about it.

If I hadn't put ACDC in the 10th spot, I wouldn't have known who to put in it, between you, RPH, Akmuq, and Matty. The biggest thing holding back my prediction for you this season is that I think you're going to give up a lot of points by start-and-parking 2 or 3 of the long races. That might not seem like much, but that extra 12-21 points could be the difference between being in or out of the Chase at the end of the regular season.

That doesn't mean I couldn't do well though? :ill:

That doesn't mean I couldn't do well though? :ill:

You can absolutely do well, and still not make the Chase. Finishing 10 races and running well in 7 races might be about equal in points. I'm assuming you'll use a 2/3 points substitution for one of the 3 long races, and start-and-park the other 2 races, to maximize your points as best as possible. Is that right?

I have the biggest master plan ever, and I know that 1-3 drivers from JGR will be in the Chase :sly:

And over at SGR with a two car team its a simple plan. Race hard and get up there by merit.

The fight to get in to the Chase is going to be ultra-competitive this season. While it might not hold true, I think you could arguably make the case that HMS and Ford could fill out the entire top 7 in points in the regular season, and take every single non-wild card Chase spot amongst themselves. That would leave everyone from the other 3 teams fighting for that one last wild card spot.

Could all of that change or be wrong three months from now? Absolutely.

Could a driver like Litchi ride a hot streak into a top-7 spot? Sure.

Could someone like Mudd or RedPartyHat be ultra-consistent in that 4th-7th place finishing range and coast into the Chase on points ahead of the HMS/FR parade? Absolutely.

Could Furi, Akmuq, Carb, or Matty grab a win somewhere and steal the wild card, or possibly even the 6th-7th spot in points? Of course.

I think we are all waiting to see if ACDC will continue to show up for an entire season or not. His attendance alone will dicate one spot in the Chase. If he shows up to at least 7 races, there's no way he's going to be outside the top 7 in points.

So, who's excited about seeing how this season is going to play out yet? :dopey:

Me, also happy I am on a controller as I may have a dislocated toe :ouch:

I weep for you guys with controllers, it must be absolute hell. Get saving for christ's sake Furi, you can pick up a DFGT for a £100; I'm not rich but even I can scrape that together :lol:

I weep for you guys with controllers, it must be absolute hell. Get saving for christ's sake Furi, you can pick up a DFGT for a £100; I'm not rich but even I can scrape that together :lol:

:rolleyes:

I actually feel very relaxed while driving with a controller, only need like 4 fingers to drive the car in circles. :D

No thanks :)

No thanks :)

Seriously though, what is stopping you from picking one up bud? It's such a more immersive experience that I can't imagine driving on GT5 without it, best purchase I've ever made without a doubt. Improved my driving ten fold as well, I'm so much quicker and more stable than I was on a pad.

Seriously though, what is stopping you from picking one up bud? It's such a more immersive experience that I can't imagine driving on GT5 without it, best purchase I've ever made without a doubt. Improved my driving ten fold as well, I'm so much quicker and more stable than I was on a pad.

Cost. (I am not exactly rich, and err... a little low on money.) and tbh cba. :lol:

Furinkazen
I focus on the more important things, maximising what I have got ;)

Like race series? :dopey:

You have about 10 of them, no exaggeration.

I would love to see a poll of all 14 registered drivers asking which 7 drivers they think will qualify for the Chase on points (in no particular order), which driver will win the wild card, and if the wild card will get in on points, or with a win.

I'll even start it, if it will help get it going:

Top 7 in points (alphabetically)

Droptop2001gt
GTP_Litchi
JoeOfTheFire
Knelly
MULE_9242
RFLX_Niop
Tom_97_COD

Wild Card:
RedPartyHat - 1 race win

Anyone else want to go on the record now so everyone can quote this in 3 months and laugh at them for being wrong? :cool:

Same as above but with AC in the wild card slot with two wins.

Just so we're all clear now, a wild card driver that is trying to qualify on WINS must have started 7 regular season races. If he's qualifying on points only, there is no minimum number of starts required.

I know I'm not Sprint Cup but what the hell.

Top 7 in points (in finishing order):

JoeOfTheFire
GTP_Litchi
RFLX_Niop
Carbonox
Droptop2001gt
Tom_97_COD
Knelly

Wild Card:
Furinkazen - 1 race win

1. Litchi (yeah, baby!)
2. Niop
3. Droptop
4. Joe
5. Knelly
6. Mule
7. RPH

Wild card: Mudd

Hardly the attitude that wins championships ;)

I focus on the more important things, maximising what I have got ;)

Thank you!!!!

Now I can focus on more important things such as maximizing my points from every round. :sly:

I prefer to have fun, not to win.;)

Anyway.

1.Akmuq
2.Drop
3.Joe
4.Niop(he usually misses a couple regular season rounds IIRC)
5.Knelly
6.Matty
7.Litchi

Wildcard: ACDC, if he shows, if not, the 8th place, Mule.

Back