GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup S4 Champs: Akmuq, Hendrick, Chevrolet

• Thread starter Niop
  • 3,170 comments
EDIT: Like the change to Mediums, still longer tyre life (Good thing) with more grip. (Good for me anyway!)

I don't like it at all. But, when you start having to pit for fuel before tires at Daytona and Indy, what choice do we have? Unless something else changes between now and the end of our current Sprint Cup season, this will probably be my last season as host. This change just completely obliterated most of my remaining interest in GT5 as a playable racing game.

MustangRyan
I don't like it at all. But, when you start having to pit for fuel before tires at Daytona and Indy, what choice do we have? Unless something else changes between now and the end of our current Sprint Cup season, this will probably be my last season as host. This change just completely obliterated most of my remaining interest in GT5 as a playable racing game.

I enjoy racing with you guys so I just wish iRacing was more accessible for some of you because this league on that sim would be amazing.

Oh, damn. That gets rid of two of my favourite series for next season then.. IndyCar (Tom's going) and this...

:(

I enjoy racing with you guys so I just wish iRacing was more accessible for some of you because this league on that sim would be amazing.

Problem is it would cost 250-300 dollars for all the tracks and car (Would be my price). Add another 100 for new members as 3 months probably wouldn't be enough. And add another 400-500 for anyone who would need a new computer for it.

Why is using racing softs on ovals the end of the world? It has the damn same wear rate as hards did pre-2.08.

"Because of the Grip."
Well is that really going to ruin oval racing?

Why is using racing softs on ovals the end of the world? It has the damn same wear rate as hards did pre-2.08.

"Because of the Grip."

Racing Softs have a bad reputation. We need to keep some sense of realism.

Oh, damn. That gets rid of two of my favourite series for next season then.. IndyCar (Tom's going) and this..
Just because I won't be hosting doesn't mean that the series won't continue to operate at a high level. We've had a lot of driver turnover in just over 3 seasons, and the talent level continues to go up on the whole despite the turnover (amazing, really). I won't be there for season 5, but someone else will, and it won't be any easier or harder for you guys than it is now. You'll just have someone else counting the laps and posting the results.

Just because I won't be hosting doesn't mean that the series won't continue to operate at a high level. We've had a lot of driver turnover in just over 3 seasons, and the talent level continues to go up on the whole despite the turnover (amazing, really). I won't be there for season 5, but someone else will, and it won't be any easier or harder for you guys than it is now. You'll just have someone else counting the laps and posting the results.

I will help in finding a new host - I know I can't personally, but I set this up originally and I will help to organise a new season.

I was actually thinking if leaving after this season totally.

Or perhaps because Gt5 is getting a little long in the tooth.

Or because gaming is not Drop's no.1 priority in life.

Oh, damn. That gets rid of two of my favourite series for next season then.. IndyCar (Tom's going) and this...

:(

Problem is it would cost 250-300 dollars for all the tracks and car (Would be my price). Add another 100 for new members as 3 months probably wouldn't be enough. And add another 400-500 for anyone who would need a new computer for it.

50 for 1 year if you hit the deals that happen every 3-4 months.;) If you use the deal that has pay 75 you get 100 deal thats 2 free tracks right there. Plus or Minus.

Just as we get close to the biggest scrap for chase spots we've had so far, and the best competition by far, GT5 goes and ruins everything.

Well done PD, well done. By trying to improve, you've killed the only good things that remain in this game ... Online competition.

I will help in finding a new host - I know I can't personally, but I set this up originally and I will help to organise a new season.

I was actually thinking if leaving after this season totally.

My hope is that between Niop, Knelly, and Joe, a new leader or leadership group will emerge for the Sprint Cup. Those three drivers have been part of the series longer than anyone else, and I think any of them would do a great job keeping the series running efficiently for future seasons.

Who knows, if someone else was running it, I might even enjoy driving in the series again at a later date.

I'm sorry but,

you are quitting because PD made tires last longer? :indiff:
No, I'm just not having as much fun any more.

Currently, trying to keep everything going on GTP while keeping a reasonable balance with my job and family has been quite stressful. I put in 110 hours at work in the last two week pay period, and I'm currently on the books for 104 hours for the two week period ending this Thursday. My DM is probably going to kill me if not sleeping doesn't do it first.

In the long run, my time will be better spent playing with my son and catching up on some sleep on the weekends, rather than stressing about getting a 200 lap race set up, completed, then getting laps counted and results posted in a timely manner. I'm just running out of time in the week and weekend to consistently make this happen, and it's not fair to you guys to not get it done. It's also not fair to me to hold myself hostage to doing it every week.

The curse of the race host, you have to be 100% committed. I understand drop and you are totally right.

Am I the only one that thinks the racing isn't worse?

I mean, the distances are now a little off for the super-tactical races drop wanted but pitting for fuel isn't much worse than pitting for tires.

I mean, the distances are now a little off for the super-tactical races drop wanted but pitting for fuel isn't much worse than pitting for tires.

i saw no issue with RH's either.

I hated the way PD gave us forced arcade wear at the beginning of the year. The new system is more realistic because hard tires are actually hard tires again.

Drop, you're doing 50 hours of work per week? Doesn't sound healthy.

I personaly am loving the new tyre wear model 👍.

In our league, you are more rewarded for sitting directly behind a car and saving fuel than you are for going to the front and leading the race. After 50 laps at Daytona, the leader will be pitting for fuel (and not even needing tires now), and the guy that coasted behind him will not yet need fuel (and can now stretch his tires out even longer). He can run several more laps before stopping, and will still take on less fuel than the driver that just led the first 50 laps of the race.

There is no incentive to go lead the race, as you're better off simply riding around behind and conserving. To me, this is not racing.

Bring it, I know y'all knock me down anyways.......

"Because of the Grip."

I think the problem is this:

SC S1 - Droptop creates Regs; even playing field, Niop outshines most and wins. A basic Indy or Daytona setup from my Tuning Garage "The Oval Tunery" could win races. Everyone drove on Hards but the skill of the league and grip of the tires made everyone just about on pace. 25 laps at Daytona was target

SC S2 - GT5 has gone through a few updates and a new and bigger field is set with respectable drivers. Droptop weeded out bad from good and had set the standards for this league. Tunes and strategies are really starting to develope. The tires are less grippy and have perfect wear. Hard tires effect drivers who need the grip. 67 laps at Daytona were possible. This was huge for us in our long races and helped split the field on strategy.

SC S3 - this series grows and NW is formed. Updates to GT5 are manageable to deal with. And is also the 3rd update. Droptop gets lucky with his race format and we are forced to pit more. As they killed tire wear and lossed more grip. Which is good and adds more strategy and tire saving ideas. Field grows more complex and teams with good tuners are taking notice. Less grip per update takes affect to drivers who were happy with the grip. Drivers with more skill start to show through more. Longer tire wear pit strategies are developed post update through fine-tuning. 40 laps at Daytona and with more tuning Furi hit 50 laps. This helped fine-tune this leagues tire strategies. Wide range and less grip. Fine Tuners and Skill drivers are doing well, which is the intent of racing.

SC S4 - NW drivers move up and now have strategy and tunes from prior season. New guys come in to play in NW and prove to be real fast in both SC & NW. Droptop had precisely and carefully made the schedule to have the varying pit strategies which have been in play since he created this league. GT5 has new drastic tire update which makes tires last too long and makes all his races pointless. "Softer Tires" were available before previous updates. 40 - 50 laps at Daytona; post update mid-season 75 laps or more or about that are now possible. So now it sounds like if you already have a mad tune then you will never need to stop. And they added grip. So it seems to be taking two steps backwards to SC S2. I think this is how droptop sees it.

In my opinion, I use sports tires and hard tires in my other NASCAR league because softs are too easy to use. With softs you can go full throttle around all turns. With harder tires there is a need for throttle control. Take sports softs at Indy. Those who practice when to let off and use throttle control through the turns will immediately feel the difference between softer or harder tires. I believe this is where real driver skill shows and does have less to do with tuning. But this would all still vary very much of droptops regs which have been set in stone since SC S1 or approx Feb 2010.....hmmmm I would hate to change something that has worked too. And who really has time to make the right changes? Im sure droptop doesn't. He did say he wouldn't host if the tires are not changed. So if this is true then another driver will have to host and gather all the hype back up to this series.

And props too Furi, Niop, Knelly, Droptop, Joe and myself for being the original drivers in this league (S1 - 5 races or more). IMO this league is great but not what it used to be with the new tire model. And Furi was right in his last statement that GT5 is about done. Thats why they make stupid updates. It draws fans back in to tune their car and race online. More people racing online = more ratings. More Ratings = More Funding from PSN and other third parties. Kinda not what most adults are looking for.

I'll point I created the base regs Crazy, but y;know what... I agree with what he says.

I'll point I created the base regs Crazy, but y;know what... I agree with what he says.

The base regs were definitely a collaboration among a lot of interested drivers. Originally, you had no fuel and tire wear. :nervous:

The base regs were definitely a collaboration among a lot of interested drivers. Originally, you had no fuel and tire wear. :nervous:

Yeah and you took it and make a much better job and make it grow more than I ever could have done. :cheers:

"Because of the Grip."

Because Nascars in real life have very little grip. Soft/Medium tires make the cars feel like they are on rails, which really takes a lot of the fun out of driving the cars, and makes a good setup less useful.

I think me advocating Sport Softs was pretty much ignored, even though the wear is very similar to Racing Mediums. I think Niop would at least go with me on this; not sure who else.

Also, I will ask again, can we at least keep Hards on road courses? There's still some form of pit strategy, although it's 1 stop vs. 0 stops. At least consider it? :nervous:

Drop, your idea that fuel savers will win is completely wrong, flat out you can get 52 laps out of fuel, and 64 laps out of fuel when you're fuel saving in a small pack which isn't going too fast and kept wrecking bringing out cautions. You need 67 for it to be worth fuel saving so it will basically be flat out to the finish with some fuel saving so you don't have to put so much in at the stops.

Back