High Performance Honda Thread: The S2000 is Back?

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 278 comments
I like it, and it does look like an Accord Wagon. It sort of is in the same aspect that the Subaru Outback is to the Subaru Legacy. Finally a CUV that looks good!

i think i was wrong about that whole 2nx thing.
a pair of rear quarter panels for the chassis. It's got a tiny triangle shaped window set in such a way that makes me think the beltline will be angled upward towards the rear quite sharply. It also has a door opening like a described previously, which angles back from the bottom, and then angles forward halfway up and into the roof. ...but, this thing does have a very sleek fastback design. It's pretty neat. It looks like the taillights would be long, sharp, and would swoop way around to the side of the car.

...the civic, crv, element. That's what they build at anna. So why do we have this fastback thing sitting here? I am confused.

Bam!

amd_emerill.jpg

Emeril Lagase brings you...

BAM!

...and...BAM!

Gwapo Civic @ civicforums.com
I work for a supplier for HONDA OF AMERICA in Marysville, OH.
In 2009 Honda is bringing out a NEW car to fill the gap between the FIT/JAZZ and the Civic. Seeing how the civic has grown up over the years. The code they call it right now is 2NX (I think). So not totaly sure as to what it looks like but their is something coming.

So, I'm going to venture out on a limb and say I saw two new car pieces. A floor-comp from the new Accord wagon thing (since I heard it was similar in size to the accord and appeared to have mounts for third row seats, as well as a flat load floor) and parts for the 2NX. Which apparently may be some sort of gap filler, completely new car. Whatever it is, it's going to look pretty wild methinks. Although, I have to question the need for an in-between-Fit-Civic car, unless of course it's overtly sporty...

Last edited:
If this is true, it will be awesome. As long as they put a decent suspension on it, everything else will be swappable.

The Civic was getting way too fat.

I highly doubt it. This rear window is situated at an angle more extreme than the Civic...

honda_civicsicoupe_6spdmt_2008_exterior_sideview_640x480.jpg

It doesn't resemble a typical hatchback in the slightest.

I'm surprised Honda intend to launch a totally new car in '09 yet we don't have any shots or even know anything about it.

I knew about the Panamera back in '02 and it still hasn't launched. Granted, there's a difference in hype between a new Civic (per se) and a new Porsche, but still...

It would have been nice if Honda continued with this car but now Acura might be making it. I hope they don't screw it up...

Holy Crap: Honda Kills Everything "Fun"

Autoblog
Honda's attempt to right-size its development schedule and cope with the economic downturn apparently extends beyond the cancellation of the next NSX. According to Autocar, HoMoCo is right-sizing its plans for the next two years, and that includes rethinking the development of a range of rear-wheel-drive Acuras, a new V8, a convertible based on the CR-Z and the S2000's successor.

Acura seems to be carrying the weight of the bad news, with its RWD 7-series rival, originally due out in 2015, cancelled indefinitely, along with development of a V8 engine that would allow the brand to compete with the best and brightest from Germany. The Euro-market Legend could also be on the block and there's a chance that Honda will stop developing two separate Accord models for sale in the U.S. and abroad, instead opting for one mid-size sedan to be sold worldwide.

Unfortunately, the development cease-fire also extends to Honda's smaller offerings. Honda planned to release a drop-top version of its CR-Z after the hybrid goes on sale next year, but that model has been nixed. Even more disturbingly, 2009 will be the last year of production for the S2000, with no heir apparent waiting in the wings.

We're hoping to get more details on the cut-backs as the week progresses, but needless to say, there's more than enough disappointment to go around.

NSX: KIA
S2000: KIA
V8 Program: MIA
RWD Acura Flagship: MIA

Okay Honda, sales for you were down by only 8% last year. I vote to call these all bad decisions...

Holy Crap: Honda Kills Everything "Fun"

NSX: KIA
S2000: KIA
V8 Program: MIA
RWD Acura Flagship: MIA

Okay Honda, sales for you were down by only 8% last year. I vote to call these all bad decisions...

Ok, Mr. Detroit, I don't recall Honda getting ready to file for bankruptcy or grovelling for a bailout. These are the measures companies have to take to stay profitable and keep the ship afloat. It sucks, but it's what Honda wants to do. If they make a mistake, there's no reason someone else can't fill their void. Like if I were a Honda tuning house, I'd be getting ready to provide my own vehicles if Honda can't fill the demand.

Oh, I understand that plainly and they have the right to do what they please. Nevertheless, my disappointment with these decisions is very high, and in general, I would classify them as "bad." Especially the S2000 decision. It still has remained a strong-selling model that is competitive, good-looking, and would only require minimum modifications to continue that trend.

Meh. I understand they want to be the "Big Green H," and by all means, that is probably a very good move for them to make before Toyota, GM or anyone else can. Nevertheless, removing any sense of "fun" is not so good.

Doesn't matter, the new NSX would have been rubbish with its front engine nonsense. The RWD Acura sedan though is a sad thing, as they really need to move that way to compete better with that market segment.

8% in a year isn't bad.

Over 30% over the past two or three months counts as catastrophic.

Everybody is dropping in double digits now... and to wait for a full calendar year of being 30% down before taking drastic measures would be stupid in the current financial environment.

Interesting... Honda still has two Accords? I'd thought this current mega-Accord was already global. Given how big the European version is, already... it doesn't make sense to make it any different from the US one.

Oh, I understand that plainly and they have the right to do what they please. Nevertheless, my disappointment with these decisions is very high, and in general, I would classify them as "bad." Especially the S2000 decision. It still has remained a strong-selling model that is competitive, good-looking, and would only require minimum modifications to continue that trend.

Meh. I understand they want to be the "Big Green H," and by all means, that is probably a very good move for them to make before Toyota, GM or anyone else can. Nevertheless, removing any sense of "fun" is not so good.

S2000 sales have been going down. I really like the car but now that the 370z is out I don't think it can really compete as well unless they put a bigger engine on it. The F22 is a great engine but the fact it is a 4 cylinder N/A and they can't get any more power out of makes some people rethink buying it. It's a great car and does sell very well but just needs to be updated more than it has been in some way. (The last minor update was 5 years ago and there has never been a major update).

If Honda gave the S2000 a little more torque and released the Civic Type R in the US they would really be able to compete with the 370z, Mazda Mazdaspeed 3, and the Cobalt SS.

I really like Honda but you can't be anything but disappointed when you hear that they canceled two of their high end flagship models. I hope it doesn't turn into Toyota but since the creator of the S2000 retired (I am pretty sure) they seem to be going that way in some ways.

I don't think Honda will cancel the new S2000 because it is based off their first real sports car.

Doesn't matter, the new NSX would have been rubbish with its front engine nonsense. The RWD Acura sedan though is a sad thing, as they really need to move that way to compete better with that market segment.

It's not even an NSX. It's the replacement. Just like the GT-R isn't a new Skyline it's the replacement.

TVC
It's not even an NSX. It's the replacement. Just like the GT-R isn't a new Skyline it's the replacement.

I believe the new GT-R's chassis code is R35. Which makes it the successor to the R34, which was a Skyline. But the GT-R is to the Skyline like the Evo is to the Lancer, a completely different creature. Even still, the GT-R R35 has much the same idea as its previous versions - front engine, AWD with a sophisticated management system, and turbo charged power.

Where as the new "NSX" was front engine, V10 or V8 powered, and so on. Not really a direct comparison to the previous mid-engine, V6 powered NSX.

I believe the new GT-R's chassis code is R35. Which makes it the successor to the R34, which was a Skyline. But the GT-R is to the Skyline like the Evo is to the Lancer, a completely different creature. Even still, the GT-R R35 has much the same idea as its previous versions - front engine, AWD with a sophisticated management system, and turbo charged power.

Where as the new "NSX" was front engine, V10 or V8 powered, and so on. Not really a direct comparison to the previous mid-engine, V6 powered NSX.

Yeah but calling the GT-R a Skyline would be incorrect. I do understand why people call this car an NSX but to be disappointed that the car is front engined is silly.

It's a whole different car just that is suppose to take the niche that the NSX left behind. If this car is suppose to be better than the NSX I don't see a reason not to like it.

TVC
Yeah but calling the GT-R a Skyline would be incorrect. I do understand why people call this car an NSX but to be disappointed that the car is front engined is silly.

It's a whole different car just that is suppose to take the niche that the NSX left behind. If this car is suppose to be better than the NSX I don't see a reason not to like it.

Except it isn't Mid-Engine. Which is a huge deal. Huge. The dynamic feel of an MR car is just... amazing. Faster does not mean better, in my opinion.

If they were smart, they would have made the base TL RWD, and kept the top model as it is now. :grumpy:

Reventón;3267083
If they were smart, they would have made the base TL RWD, and kept the top model as it is now. :grumpy:

I agree. The TL would be far more interesting to me if it were RWD. I think it is a sharp looking car (Well, the generation you own... not so sure on the new one) and they gave it quite a nice engine. Would very easily get me to reconsider my passion for Lexus models.

I agree. The TL would be far more interesting to me if it were RWD. I think it is a sharp looking car (Well, the generation you own... not so sure on the new one) and they gave it quite a nice engine. Would very easily get me to reconsider my passion for Lexus models.
Can't disagree there. The new ones are decent, but they've got to be black or those lines are just going to stick out. :ill:

I've been told I should make mine RWD, but I don't have $10,000 to try that. :crazy::nervous:

Honda is starting to lose focus though, especially with the Civic. It has gone from being an amazingly light car with an powerful engine option to just another heavy FWD economy rocket. The EP3 Si the states got was the death kneel for the Civic, being underpowered and over weight. The Corolla XRS of the same years made more power and weighed less. And I think had an extra gear even.

Hopefully the next Civic goes back to the EG-6 and EK-9 mentality of light weight hatch backs.

RE: Honda Losing Focus

Thats a hard call to make, though. If Honda is "Toyotafying" their lineup, it would be a major disappointment. I've usually been able to count on them to at least bake in some level of driver interest, and while many of the enthusiasts benchmark the EP Hatch as the death of fun at Honda, I tend to mark it in terms of the Accord. The newest generation is too big, too soft, and just seems very un-Honda for the first time I can recall in a while. Certainly, I understand that a good number of their customers are now older, and more into comfort, but it pushes those of us who crave some level of performance to the outside. Which leaves us, now, with only Mazda it seems.

Or, worst case scenario, the Americans start making good small cars again. Then the apocalypse happens.

Agree 100% with the above posts.

1987-2004 and particularly the fifth and sixth generation are the best by far. Maybe not comfort wise but engine wise. Spoon made an EH 2 or 3 that revved up to 11,000 RPM. Now they are like what is said above.

I don't know if it Honda's fault so much as it is the markets fault. People want safe cars and I am sure the older civics weren't very safe. Even the Civic Si just doesn't seem like a Civic. The Type R maybe but even then. I just don't think they can bring it back though. I mean what can they do? Their engines are basically pushed to the point where they can't make them much faster without making the car cost more or turboing it which would kind of ruin it (Besides a limited production Civic). The new cars do seem to soft as if they are trying to copy Volkswagen.

I always felt Honda was in the middle. Toyota made economical cars, Nissan made the faster cars, and Honda made the in between. Now Honda seems to be moving close to Toyota (as are a lot of companies). Although they are still basically in the middle.

Can't car companies run fabless? I'd be making cars like they make silicon if I could.

TVC
It would have been nice if Honda continued with this car but now Acura might be making it. I hope they don't screw it up...

Can you say RSX?

I also don't see a need for something inbetween the Civic and Fit. Sure, the 8th generation Civic is as big as ever, but what is the advantage of a slightly smaller model? Less interior space (possibly), and with the 1.8L Civic getting around 34mpg highway, the Fit isn't a whole lot better. Obviously the Fit is better in city driving, but unless they are just trying to get a smaller sedan into their lineup for those who don't want hatches, I don't see the need.

Can you say RSX?

I also don't see a need for something inbetween the Civic and Fit. Sure, the 8th generation Civic is as big as ever, but what is the advantage of a slightly smaller model? Less interior space (possibly), and with the 1.8L Civic getting around 34mpg highway, the Fit isn't a whole lot better. Obviously the Fit is better in city driving, but unless they are just trying to get a smaller sedan into their lineup for those who don't want hatches, I don't see the need.

Can you say basically ever 2009 Acura?

TVC
Can you say basically ever 2009 Acura?

Not really. The RL and TL are blurring the line nowadays, but the RL is probably due to be phased out or updated some more. The TSX gets you the entry level Acura luxury sedan with a healthy four cylinder. The two SUV's are distinct in size and attitude. So aside from those first two, it seems to me that each model has its own purpose.

Not really. The RL and TL are blurring the line nowadays, but the RL is probably due to be phased out or updated some more. The TSX gets you the entry level Acura luxury sedan with a healthy four cylinder. The two SUV's are distinct in size and attitude. So aside from those first two, it seems to me that each model has its own purpose.

You can't tell me that you like the 2009 TL. It's probably one of the ugliest new cars there is. Even big Honda fans don't like it. I don't know though...I rather have a Lexus IS. Acrua doesn't have anything really appealing when compared to Lexus or Infiniti. The G37 is nicer or just as nice all there cars but looks better.

Back