How important is paint/vinyl customization in GT5?

If you are interested, check this out...
http://ch1.gtchannel.com/ch1/?s=movie&id=368725

With that video in mind, the S2000 GT1 from GT4 is the Turbo version that I assume PD created in the game (based on the car above which runs a 2.3 NA engine producing something over 300hp) (GT4's put out 510 pre-oil change :eek: )
Nice vid Kent thakns for posting it 👍. Nice car, nice chick, what more does a man need.

i would absolutely love it!!! of course its not technically "important"... its just something that would add on to the fun which is what games are supposed to be about... its not much fun driving on to a track filled with a bunch of the same cars that are the same color... it would never be like that in real life... also, i hate it when i win a car and its purple but i wanted it to be grey (or black, white, pink, green, or any other color for that matter)... it would be nice to be able to change the color of your car after you already bought it or won it... i also hate how you get those race cars like the Nissan R92CP... they are cool as hell but they are only one color... in this ones case, a mix of blue red and white... also, i hate how you go to buy a car and they only have 1 color for it... with you being the one who owns the game and who is playing it, you should be able to choose ANY of the millions of colors out there for your car to be instead of just a select few...

Lets face it Forza has one up on us for engine swaps, vinyl customisation etc.

Their vinyl creator is epically good, 1,00 layers, of some amazingly unique liveries.

This is a shame that GT5 dont imnplement something like this along with online markets etc.

Don't worry, i'm not rushing off to get an XBOX or Forza!!!!
But I'd definately like to see SOME FORM of vinyl creation in GT^ that matches Forza's.

This is why most people that create drift teams etxc. stick with Forza as they can be uniqui, have team colours, team vinyls. The most GT5 can do ATM is add a spoiler, carbon hood and some chrome paint!! :/

This REALLY,REALLY needs to be looked into by PD. It would make my love of the Gran Turismo series go even further.

Forget about the rude stuff etc. people are always going to be childish, there just needs to be some form of reporting system as with COD and many other games that offer custom clan tags etc.

Please PD, listen up!! :D

PSN: K7842

Add me for drifting.twinning drift etc teams. Sales. Mods. Set ups. Whatever u need! :D

Peace! :)

k7842
Lets face it Forza has one up on us for engine swaps, vinyl customisation etc.

Their vinyl creator is epically good, 1,00 layers, of some amazingly unique liveries.

This is a shame that GT5 dont imnplement something like this along with online markets etc.

Don't worry, i'm not rushing off to get an XBOX or Forza!!!!
But I'd definately like to see SOME FORM of vinyl creation in GT^ that matches Forza's.

This is why most people that create drift teams etxc. stick with Forza as they can be uniqui, have team colours, team vinyls. The most GT5 can do ATM is add a spoiler, carbon hood and some chrome paint!! :/

This REALLY,REALLY needs to be looked into by PD. It would make my love of the Gran Turismo series go even further.

Forget about the rude stuff etc. people are always going to be childish, there just needs to be some form of reporting system as with COD and many other games that offer custom clan tags etc.

Please PD, listen up!! :D

PSN: K7842

Add me for drifting.twinning drift etc teams. Sales. Mods. Set ups. Whatever u need! :D

Peace! :)

Totally agree. But, ummm, the last post on this thread was in March. Of 2008.

Maybe that proves a point though, 3 years and still PD don't take the slightest bit of notice, It is something that alot of the community want, Even way back in the day NFS U2 had it to some degree and that's going back some years.

ghostrider135
Maybe that proves a point though, 3 years and still PD don't take the slightest bit of notice, It is something that alot of the community want, Even way back in the day NFS U2 had it to some degree and that's going back some years.

Voting for it in the feedback section is probably the best way to let PD know that a livery editor should be in GT5. And I remember seeing somewhere recently that Kaz planned for a livery editor to be in GT5, but as we all know, they were running too late and Sony stopped letting them push the release date. But a livery editor is in the works somewhere. Just keep the faith guys.

They do take notice (see spec2.0) Liveries is not on the top of the list of improvements, it would be nice but not something i think is needed.

Something along the lines of skins would be even better than forza's approach. If we can create jpegs/gif on our favorite graphics editor, then upload it on GT5 and use this as a skin for car. Now this would be awesome.

Last edited:
Voting for it in the feedback section is probably the best way to let PD know that a livery editor should be in GT5. And I remember seeing somewhere recently that Kaz planned for a livery editor to be in GT5, but as we all know, they were running too late and Sony stopped letting them push the release date. But a livery editor is in the works somewhere. Just keep the faith guys.

If it was on the cards one would have thought they might have atleast given some attempt at releasing it as Spec II instead of the other pointless things they added :).

They do take notice (see spec2.0) Liveries is not on the top of the list of improvements, it would be nice but not something i think is needed.

Something along the lines of skins would be even better than forza's approach. If we can create jpegs/gif on our favorite graphics editor, then upload it on GT5 and use this as a skin for car. Now this would be awesome.

A better replay system isnt at the top of the list but we still got one not that its much use the way they implemented it, Infact the most wanted things the community ask for PD choose not to deliver, Sad really :(.

Maybe he used Search, as everyone here keeps yelling for people to do. ;)

But this is a great thread to bump. As ParkourVeyron says, vote for it in the Feedback tab at the top of the page if you like it. I did.

As I said previously, a Livery Editor is almost essential for those of us who want to have our own racing identity, as every real life race car driver has. Or an online identity. Or to form a club or league, to allow everyone to identify themselves to each other and the world at large. As I feared, right now if you don't use the handful of Race Mod cars with their one livery template, you have to pick colors. Meh.

The marvelous Livery Editor, combined with the extensive real world body mods you can use to build race cars, are the two things which kept me coming back to Forza through four games. I'm hoping that Kazunori is well aware of all these factors, and does intend to include them in Gran Turismo by GT6.

If it was on the cards one would have thought they might have atleast given some attempt at releasing it as Spec II instead of the other pointless things they added :)
Well, I definitely wouldn't say the things added to Spec II were pointless, or the DLC either.

Keep in mind that Polyphony just went through a terrible disaster which affected most of the country. At the very least, electricity rationing had to hit them pretty hard, they don't have their own power plant after all. And then, Kaz moved the studios hundreds of miles too.

Even if they hadn't had to deal with all that, building a proper, bug free Livery Editor has to be a serious job that can't be done in a weekend, or every game would have something like Forza's system. We have to be patient. I want every car to have some kind of Race Mod for it, even the 800 Standards, and that's surely a tall order.

Maybe that proves a point though, 3 years and still PD don't take the slightest bit of notice, It is something that alot of the community want
This isn't fair. A livery editor was something that Kaz expressed personal interest to have in the series as far back as (I think) GT:HD. That it isn't in GT5 is quite unfortunate, but that doesn't mean that PD has no plans of doing one; or that they won't (though I personally doubt it) put one in some future update of GT5.

Paint is pretty important as a lot of the used standard cars come in disgusting colours. Vinyls to me are totally unimportant, I grew out of the phase of wanting to make my cars look like something from The Fast and The Furious in my early 20's and I don't want to make any old car look like a race car. I would like more visual customisation options though like bodykits, more spoilers, splitters, side skirts and even neon lights.

Maybe he used Search, as everyone here keeps yelling for people to do. ;)

But this is a great thread to bump. As ParkourVeyron says, vote for it in the Feedback tab at the top of the page if you like it. I did.

As I said previously, a Livery Editor is almost essential for those of us who want to have our own racing identity, as every real life race car driver has. Or an online identity. Or to form a club or league, to allow everyone to identify themselves to each other and the world at large. As I feared, right now if you don't use the handful of Race Mod cars with their one livery template, you have to pick colors. Meh.

The marvelous Livery Editor, combined with the extensive real world body mods you can use to build race cars, are the two things which kept me coming back to Forza through four games. I'm hoping that Kazunori is well aware of all these factors, and does intend to include them in Gran Turismo by GT6.

Well, I definitely wouldn't say the things added to Spec II were pointless, or the DLC either.

Keep in mind that Polyphony just went through a terrible disaster which affected most of the country. At the very least, electricity rationing had to hit them pretty hard, they don't have their own power plant after all. And then, Kaz moved the studios hundreds of miles too.

Even if they hadn't had to deal with all that, building a proper, bug free Livery Editor has to be a serious job that can't be done in a weekend, or every game would have something like Forza's system. We have to be patient. I want every car to have some kind of Race Mod for it, even the 800 Standards, and that's surely a tall order.

Some of the things added in Spec II were pointless though not everything but some things, For example why have a pitlane photo location, Just open the pits for us to walk down on every track instead, Even being able to just stick a number and a few sponsor decals on a Premium car would be a start somewhat like a club racer feel to it.

This isn't fair. A livery editor was something that Kaz expressed personal interest to have in the series as far back as (I think) GT:HD. That it isn't in GT5 is quite unfortunate, but that doesn't mean that PD has no plans of doing one; or that they won't (though I personally doubt it) put one in some future update of GT5.

When was GT:HD about sometime 2004 or something im not all that up on GT history that is some considerable time gap between then and now, Im not throwing out at PD here but it cannot take that long surely I mean there are games out there from years gone by that didn't take 5 years to make which still have a livery editor/creator NFS:U, NFS:U2, Race driver Grid, Forza 3 and 4 and Modnation racers to name but a few, And I would love to point out Modnation racers was a game made by imbeciles.

Last edited:
Some of the things added in Spec II were pointless though not everything but some things, For example why have a pitlane photo location, Just open the pits for us to walk down on every track instead, Even being able to just stick a number and a few sponsor decals on a Premium car would be a start somewhat like a club racer feel to it.

You mean like this?

gt504-small.jpg

From January 2010.

You mean like this?

gt504-small.jpg

From January 2010.

Yes exactly like that Rufus thanks for the pic I forgot all about that but you hit the nail right on the head for me right there, Now how hard would it be for something so simple as that for the premium roadcars people.

A better replay system isn't at the top of the list but we still got one not that its much use the way they implemented it, In fact the most wanted things the community ask for PD choose not to deliver, Sad really :(.

Replays are a quite critical, specially for folks like me who likes to analyze previous runs to improve you lap times. In any case, it's all relative ... i guess.

Replays are a quite critical, specially for folks like me who likes to analyze previous runs to improve you lap times. In any case, it's all relative ... i guess.

But what about the people who want that perfect photo of a huuuuuge flame coming from the exhaust pipes the least PD could have done is give the options for us to manipulate replays somewhat, Speed them up slow them down and such, They took the time to get nice flames so why not let people show them off its beyond me, But this isn't about a lap analysis or massive flames its about a feature sadly still not implemented :(.

The car world is ALL ABOUT CUSTOMIZATION. Whether it be visible or not visible. Who cares if there is ricers? IGNORE THEM. And to the people earlier calling the gt1 s2000 a ricer are ignorant. A ricer is like a 90 HP honda civic with big flashy rims, dumb paintjob, wings,and flashy lights. Not a 600 HP racing machine. Just please remember its not your car when you see a ricer so who cares? Just get a good laugh out of how stupid they look.

If it was on the cards one would have thought they might have atleast given some attempt at releasing it as Spec II instead of the other pointless things they added :).
For those who haven't seen this:
34ys9qd.jpg

You can see the words: Coloring / Livery Editor.
And remember ONE thing, PD wasn't the one who decided to release Spec 2.0 on October 11th, Sony may have pushed the release date before a livery editor was ready to compete with The-One-Who-Shall-Not-be Named. :sly:

Exactly. It's your car, so you should be able to make it yours. What people don't get is that we wouldn't need a RM button if PD implemented a livery editor and a few more body kits, all that is keeping that 1000 HP Viper in my garage from becoming a true drag racer is a livery editor.
You mean like this?

gt504-small.jpg

From January 2010.
Where's this picture from?

Wow nice find, We can still live in hope is seems, But if PD never deliver on that then we have ammo for the next game so they make it a game for real car enthusiasts and not the game Kaz wants for himself :).

ParkourVeyron

And remember ONE thing, PD wasn't the one who decided to release Spec 2.0 on October 11th, Sony may have pushed the release date before a livery editor was ready to compete with The-One-Who-Shall-Not-be Named. :sly:

Exactly. It's your car, so you should be able to make it yours. What people don't get is that we wouldn't need a RM button if PD implemented a livery editor and a few more body kits, all that is keeping that 1000 HP Viper in my garage from becoming a true drag racer is a livery editor.

Excitement building. :D

Personally don't care for it, I'd rather see your tail lights or headlights than what some of you guys call "art". if they do implement it it should simple version, But like what another dude was saying "I rather be racing than ricing"

Besides aren't stickers for kids?

34ys9qd.jpg

Thank you!!! Couldn't agree with you more 👍 I always thought it would be better if Polyphony scrapped out that RM feature and created lots of body kits for each car with livery, so we can modify the cars for ourselves. Hopefully this will be in GT6.

And Kaz already said Livery editor won't be in GT5 but it's already on their "to do list".

Back