If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
The whole purpose of a livery editor for me is giving th ability to recreate eal life race cars that are not already incorporated into the game.

I agree with you. It's pointless though. What you said has been said by many others. Some people just choose to ignore posts like yours or give them no validity cause they can't get it past their thick skulls that not everyone is narrow minded like they are.

If it was a confirmed addition, most haters would switch.

I call it the, if its not in then I don't want it, syndrome.

Put it in the skidmarks and reverse lights category.

If it was a confirmed addition, most haters would switch.

Personally I'd love to see it in the final game.

I don't do much on Forza anymore, but if I could I'd do the cars above and more for GT5.

Meanwhile I'm just brushing up on my GT driving skills on Prologue

The whole purpose of a livery editor for me is giving the ability to recreate real life race cars that are not already incorporated into the game.

I would love a livery editor for a completely opposite reason ( although I do appreciate and respect your reasoning and the patience needed to recreate "exact" replica's ), instead of recreating existing liveries I'd like this option for designing and creating my own.
I'll happily leave the painstaking process of recreation to PD and create my own design just like those real life liveries were designed at one point by real designers themselves ( because I always prefer to do my own take and enjoy the process of creativity rather than copy an existing one ).

One thing I do know for sure, I definitely won't be using this option on all or even a majority of the cars in GT5.
It's not that I like this feature because I don't appreciate the clean "pure" factory look they have now and some cars I won't even consider to create a livery for.
But when I turn a regular car into a racing car by tuning, customization, etc. I'd like to be able to visually finish the job by applying a custom livery making it clear it's a racing car, not just a heavily modified road car.

The misconception often seemingly expressed here is that liking the purity and original look of cars in GT5 can't be combined with liking some cars to be heavily customized and/or turned into racecars visually.
Including this feature for me only adds to the variety, you can choose to use it on all cars, choose not to touch it at all or if you're like me use it one a selection of cars whilst some I won't even think of adding a livery to or even visually customize and rather prefer to remain stock.

Last edited:
Here's how I see it... There's no racing version of the RUF RGT... A livery editor would remedy that... I'd put the RUF logo on the hood, Pirelli Tyres and a number plate that says 25 with the GT red and blue above it (GT Racing federation, remember GT2?) The same could be said for an infinite number of cars in this game, that's how I'd use it and, i think, most who use GT5 will use it (a big percentage of us are hardcore racing fans and will only tolerate that sort of design)

The whole purpose of a livery editor for me is giving the ability to recreate real life race cars that are not already incorporated into the game.

You can't get vvTHISvv sort of quality replica on any game other than Forza.

4556124912_376e4077cd.jpg

4555495443_61a97d7810.jpg

Real life source

4555171171_4660ebac6b.jpg

-----------

4616251833_8963883c48.jpg

4677106670_8aaa5e758d.jpg

Just imagine having the chance to recreate and race your favourite cars that you see on TV, whether it's the JMB F430GT, Patron Tequila 911 or Amprex Murcielago.

GT5 is going to have a few race versions of most cars, but there are so many more.

This sort of thing is pushing the genre.

This is why many people started playing Forza 3 while waiting for GT5. I know I did.

IMO, GT5 will excel over Forza 3. Having a livery editor will just help GT5 to fly.

Did you create those liveries for FM3? They look very very nice!!

Yeah, it's not entirely clear at first. Click the button, when the green symbol shows up, it's worked, and continue clicking on however many posts you plan on responding to. Then on the last one, just click the regular quote button (even if you've already hit the multi-quote on that post). It should work alright, though tabbed browsing can play havoc if you're trying to deal with more than one thread at a time :).
Thank you.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I read your reply a few days ago but I forgot to come back to it after reading lots of other stuff.

No no, not outsourced, and I doubt they have a particular modeler with the title "flower modeler" ;). I just meant that since Prologue, they've updated the track, and someone deemed it necessary to include dandelions on the side of the track that react realistically when cars go by. I just find that wholly unnecessary... except that I keep forgetting GT is quite heavily biased towards eye candy.
Yeah...I suppose it's a natural addition to the system they used for the track-side grass in Prologue. A nice touch that's not really necessary.

Almost six years between games isn't enough?
Seemingly not but I wouldn't be surprised if they have already worked out how they can do it.

Hm, true. A simple rating system (out of five stars or something) would separate the wheat from the chaff, provided search results could be sorted by rating. Another solution (though more a work-around)... we are on the biggest unofficial GT forum out there, surely you'd hear/see the quality paintjobs just because they'd come up here pretty often. This community seems capable of finding anything :lol:.
Definately. I'm sure if a livery editor had been included in GT5 this would be the first place to look for works of art. GT has always been about the cars and there's no doubt GTP members would do the system justice, in keeping with the quality of the cars themselves.

There really would be no other way. All or nothing in my opinion.

Yeah, I got what you implied, and that was my major criticism; if I want a non-stock version, I'm stuck with it's looks. Sure, I like the RX-8 LM's 787B-inspired paintjob, but I'd love to be able to make it look how I want it to.

Want a good example of what I mean about a livery editor? Just Google Image Search "Spec Miata". Some guys on the board I frequent did a series in FM3 simulating that, and it was cool that they all had the number boxes and then their own little liveries. I'll never argue that some of the nasty liveries out there might actually lessen the feeling of immersion, but for this, it just added to it, the replays really did feel like watching a Spec Miata race. In GT5, without a livery editor, it just won't look quite the same.
I do understand what custom liveries add to a racing game; it does imbue the feeling of being in a proper racing event rather than a Sunday Club meeting.

At the extreme it represents the hardcore community because they like to design a proper race car, are likely to enter organised events and are more likely to follow the rules of racing. A well designed car gives others confidence that this man/woman knows what they are doing.

Overall that affect is nothing but positive in any racing game.

It would be... and some basic shapes... and the ability to export the image to my PC to work on and then back to PS3... ;).
Yep...but I think at this stage the PC to PS3 thing is very unlikely. Not that it's not possible...I guess it's more to do with moderation of content.

Hmm, I still think it's fair, though. People talk about the lack of livery editor like they know Kaz personally would rather it not be in there, on some mistaken idea that he prefers the "purity" of not having liveries. But he has no problems foisting his own ideas of liveries on people, so it's an odd double-standard to assume. The SL is the easiest example for me because it was almost universally disliked when unveiled on here.
I still haven't seen this picture of the SL :lol:

I would never suggest Kaz rather it not be there...more that Kaz had other priorities for this release of GT5. I don't know why someone wouldn't want a livery editor.

As far as I can tell Kaz uses subtle liveries to identify a special version of a car as opposed to an all-out design. For example I'm looking at the Stealth and Chrome models.

And the thing is; I don't think anybody remotely sane will call GT "flat as a pancake". It's going to be huge. A livery editor would do nothing but compliment that :).
Can't argue with that fella. 👍

Yes I did, and thanks.

How did you even do this?! How long did it take?

I have limited patience for things like that, though... my cars in Forza basically get racing stripes and some decals from related companies.

Meanwhile I'm just brushing up on my GT driving skills on Prologue

From what I've been reading you may be wasting your time. You MIGHT be better off playing Forza 3. From what I've been seeing with some videos and one particular article I read seems like it's going to be closer to Forza 3 physics than Prologue.

We have to wait and see for ourselves but if this is true I REALLY want to see the message boards after day 1.

As for liveries I pretty much keep it real basic but I love purchasing the work of others who do outstanding jobs with it.

For instance, this is my B-Class car of choice when racing friends. I think this guy did a great job with this livery.

melissacar2.jpg

cr1y.jpg

From what I've been reading you may be wasting your time. You MIGHT be better off playing Forza 3. From what I've been seeing with some videos and one particular article I read seems like it's going to be closer to Forza 3 physics than Prologue.

Di you read this on the forza forums by any chance?
Even the arcade physics on the BB demo are a step above whatever forza has to offer.

Di you read this on the forza forums by any chance?
Even the arcade physics on the BB demo are a step above whatever forza has to offer.

Yeah ok. Anyway no I didn't read this on a forza forum. Infact I believe I read it HERE on one of the news posts from someone who played the game at either E3 or Gamescon

Yeah ok. Anyway no I didn't read this on a forza forum. Infact I believe I read it HERE on one of the news posts from someone who played the game at either E3 or Gamescon

Yeah, ok. Would like to see where you read that.
I know the guys at ISR said that the E3 demo felt like prologue, and I'd agree cause prologue pro physics are close to gt5 arcade physics.
I played forza 2 days ago and I played gt5 3 days ago. I can tell you the pro physics in GT5 make fm3 feel like an arcade game. Keep in mind if it wasn't for forzas pick up and play physics, I wouldn't be be getting GT5.

Yeah, ok. Would like to see where you read that.
I know the guys at ISR said that the E3 demo felt like prologue, and I'd agree cause prologue pro physics are close to gt5 arcade physics.
I played forza 2 days ago and I played gt5 3 days ago. I can tell you the pro physics in GT5 make fm3 feel like an arcade game. Keep in mind if it wasn't for forzas pick up and play physics, I wouldn't be be getting GT5.

http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports5/motorsports_150a.html
Go down and start with the paragraph titled SuperGT 500.
Funny you say "pick up and play" physics when every friend ,who don't play racing games, I have I put on Forza 3 with all assists off can't get around a 1 minute lap in less than 15.

That doesn't surprise me. Whilst loss of adhesion might be amped up in FM3, the flow of a car if you're driving neatly is very much like how a real car flows across tarmac, I reckon.

That doesn't surprise me. Whilst loss of adhesion might be amped up in FM3, the flow of a car if you're driving neatly is very much like how a real car flows across tarmac, I reckon.

I'm just a guy who knows nothing about racing but what I see on TV, read on the net, and the tips I get from the guys who I race with (which the vast majority race in real life or have some connection to cars in this aspect) but I just know what I feel. I feel like if I can take certain turns in my piece of crap Impala at certain speeds and not go flying into the divider then I shouldn't in the game.

But I really didn't want to derail this thread. It's about the liveries , I think we should take this convo elsewhere if there is an elsewhere on this forum.

I know the chances of a livery editor for GT5 are close to none. An even though most people want one as complex as Forza's I can't help to wonder: What about a very simple paint shop like the one found in NFS Porshe Unleashed? In it you could paint stripes (picked from a series of templates) of any color in both the top and the sides of the car. You could also chose a number and paint it in the front doors and change the color of the body.

I know it may sound too basic but it was and still is a lot of fun. So, what do you think? Would you like to see something like this in GT5?

I know the chances of a livery editor for GT5 are close to none. An even though most people want one as complex as Forza's I can't help to wonder: What about a very simple paint shop like the one found in NFS Porshe Unleashed? In it you could paint stripes (picked from a series of templates) of any color in both the top and the sides of the car. You could also chose a number and paint it in the front doors and change the color of the body.

I know it may sound too basic but it was and still is a lot of fun. So, what do you think? Would you like to see something like this in GT5?

The thing is, Kaz doesn't like "basic". He wants everything to be "perfect".

IMO that would be better than nothing, but just add decals to that. I'm just tired of driving stock looking cars that have performance upgrades on them.

The thing is, Kaz doesn't like "basic". He wants everything to be "perfect".

Maybe he should try doing something about instead of just saying it.
I still don't understand how perfect and basic can be compared? Something basic can't be perfect?

The chance of a Livery Editor slim to none, but one area that my be overlooked, is in the Race Modifications. PD might give the options to select from three or four premade livery's.

The chance of a Livery Editor slim to none, but one area that my be overlooked, is in the Race Modifications. PD might give the options to select from three or four premade livery's.

That was one of my most favorite features in Shift. Great for people who didn't want to use time making livieries for their cars. I would be happy if this made it to GT5. :)

That's hardly got anything to do with a livery editor but I do see your point.
It's just possibly another option on a list instead of being able to design anything yourself, wouldn't be surprised if the largest decals on these prebaked liveries consisted of GT logos either in chrome, carbon or dare I say it, a colour of choice.

Might be just me but does anyone else get slightly annoyed by the shameless selfpromotion of either GT or PD logos on tuned cars, tracks ( apart form Le Mans ofcourse where they are present in real life ) and even tents in Prologue?
I've bought the game already no need to remind me, and for all of those who complain a self made livery isn't very realistic, there's nothing making me more aware I'm just playing a game than seeing a chrome GT logo on the steering wheel of my tuned Elise.

That would be a good start if it will eventually lead to a Livery Editor.
:)

Well, it's better than nothing I guess. The problem is that they have had such a long to make something better.

Back