iRacing Paint Schemes Thread

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 1,723 comments
I think it looks pretty good! But you need to use smaller logos, use the wire structure and stay within the limits.

Can somebody explain to me how you create the skins, how you upload them and what trading paints is all about? I'm completely confused. By the way I don't have Photoshop so I doubt I'll be able to create them; can I find other people's to use instead anywhere?

I've been running this National Guard Late Model using the default paint settings because I don't have a clue about the skins :lol:

NationalGuardLM.png

You create skins using a program like Photoshop, Gimp and other similar software.

Trading paints is where you'll upload your skins so other people can download them and see it when they're racing with you.

Some people share skins for anyone to use it, have a look at the iRacing forums.

You create skins using a program like Photoshop, Gimp and other similar software.

Trading paints is where you'll upload your skins so other people can download them and see it when they're racing with you.

Some people share skins for anyone to use it, have a look at the iRacing forums.

Cheers man, just found a nice Target Chip Ganassi IndyCar skin on a giveaway thread.

Yes. What would you suggest for the shape?
I would be happy if I would know the words I need, but I could show you what I mean - with pictures. :D
When I've found something, I'll post it here. ;)

And always be careful and look that your logos aren't there, where also the car number is.

So I looked on trading paints and found a couple of skins, when I add them to the download list it add every skin? Is there a way to deselect every skin and then add them that way, as I don’t really want to cycle through every skin and deselect everything.

Are you saying you want to use someone else's skin? Typically you need to receive permission from the creator, but anyway you should be able to dl one at a time from the main website I think

So I looked on trading paints and found a couple of skins, when I add them to the download list it add every skin? Is there a way to deselect every skin and then add them that way, as I don’t really want to cycle through every skin and deselect everything.

You can deselect but you're sort of missing the point of Trading Paints :) The only way for you to correctly see other racer's paintjobs is to have their paint-file on your PC. This is where Trading Paints comes in...

I'm not sure if this has been explained already but I'll do it anyway. This is how I've set the Trading Paints app up and how it is intended to work:

I have a list of 'Subscribed' cars (in my case, the Ford GT, Cadillac and Corvette) which basically means that the TP desktop app (everytime I startup the PC) syncs with my computer and TP's server and add or deletes any new skins that may have been uploaded or changed. When you first do this, it can take a while but after the initial install, it's pretty quick.

This results in you having everybodys (well, those who have uploaded to TP anyway) paint scheme for an particular car which means that you'll see their skin if you happen to enter a race with them. In return, if you upload your skin to TP, other people (provided they've 'Subscribed' and downloaded) will see your car(s) with the correct skin too! Pretty sweet huh? :)

This is why in some of the GTP Cadillac Cup videos here, you don't always see cars with the correct liveries. The person who made the video may not have fully subscribed (or not at all) to a particular car resulting in missing skins.

I hope that makes sense, I was unsure how it all worked initially too! đź‘Ť

Last edited:
I have a question regarding TP that's been bugging me.

Let's say I upload a truck paint scheme. If I decide I want to change paint schemes for the truck and have everyone who downloads it see it, would I have to delete the current one on TP, and upload the new one? Or could I simply change the new scheme's file name to *numbers*.tga? If I did that, would everyone who downloaded the first scheme still see that, or would they see the new one?

I hope that made sense.

Best way to do it if your are uploading a new scheme for a car you already have one loaded for is to delete the old scheme first before uploading the new one. If you upload a new one and have 2 schemes for the same car some people might see one scheme and other people might see the other one same goes for what you see as well.

Best way to do it if your are uploading a new scheme for a car you already have one loaded for is to delete the old scheme first before uploading the new one. If you upload a new one and have 2 schemes for the same car some people might see one scheme and other people might see the other one same goes for what you see as well.

Okay that's how I've been doing it. I wish there was a more efficient way to run custom schemes and have them seen. I've heard TP will be adding a feature that allows one to have multiple schemes for the same vehicle uploaded simultaneously, and can switch by checking the one they want to use at the time. That'll be a nice addition whenever its implemented.

I have to say I love the custom liveries in this thread. đź‘Ť
I don't have iRacing (not to mention a powerful enough computer, good enough internet or steering wheel) but I do love the art of the car.

You can deselect but you're sort of missing the point of Trading Paints :) The only way for you to correctly see other racer's paintjobs is to have their paint-file on your PC. This is where Trading Paints comes in...

I'm not sure if this has been explained already but I'll do it anyway. This is how I've set the Trading Paints app up and how it is intended to work:

I have a list of 'Subscribed' cars (in my case, the Ford GT, Cadillac and Corvette) which basically means that the TP desktop app (everytime I startup the PC) syncs with my computer and TP's server and add or deletes any new skins that may have been uploaded or changed. When you first do this, it can take a while but after the initial install, it's pretty quick.

This results in you having everybodys (well, those who have uploaded to TP anyway) paint scheme for an particular car which means that you'll see their skin if you happen to enter a race with them. In return, if you upload your skin to TP, other people (provided they've 'Subscribed' and downloaded) will see your car(s) with the correct skin too! Pretty sweet huh? :)

This is why in some of the GTP Cadillac Cup videos here, you don't always see cars with the correct liveries. The person who made the video may not have fully subscribed (or not at all) to a particular car resulting in missing skins.

I hope that makes sense, I was unsure how it all worked initially too! đź‘Ť

So what do those that don't have TP see?
And doesn't it take up A LOT of memory having every single Trading Paints member's skin on my hard drive?

Jav
Alright, my new new Cadillac:

Shift_Cadillac.png

And this is beautiful Jav.
What is with you and #68?

Think I'm going to ATTEMPT a Rothmans sponsored Mazda.
Any tips? I've never really tried to replicate a real livery before, just made a couple of my own in rFactor.

@gogatrs: iRacing users who don't use Trading Paints will see whatever default paint scheme you give your car from within the iRacing program itself. If you don't paint your car, they'll see the basic, white skin. If you give it one of iRacing's default paint schemes, they'll see that.

Yes, having other peoples skins on your hard drive will take up space but they're not huge and HD space is (relatively) cheap :)

I'm subscribed to the CTS-VR, legend, corvette, HPD, GT, FR500S, DP, MX-5, and cup car I believe and it's a little over a GB, but tbh I can clean out about 1 GB of internet temporary files and other stuff in 2 weekends of running iracing and GTP, with ccleaner

And I use a laptop that also runs the new MS Flight and Flight Sim X occaisionally

Last edited:
the_greeze
@gogatrs: iRacing users who don't use Trading Paints will see whatever default paint scheme you give your car from within the iRacing program itself. If you don't paint your car, they'll see the basic, white skin. If you give it one of iRacing's default paint schemes, they'll see that.

Yes, having other peoples skins on your hard drive will take up space but they're not huge and HD space is (relatively) cheap :)

đź‘Ť
Thanks man.

Here is a little livery that I've been working on for my future route into ovals. I'm going to attempt a run in the fixed Truck series next year, I'll use the rest of this season for practice sessions.

7307902290_df790d311c_b.jpg

7307901688_432c3fd361_b.jpg

7307901338_99de48ab0f_b.jpg

I'll still be running the Indy Ovals this season and next (hopefully the open series though), but I don't want to attempt a livery for them yet, the template is abit more intricate.

Last edited:
Progress on the Rothmans Mazda is actually coming along better than I expected.
Where do you guys suggest I park it to get the best screenies?

^I think it was Jav who recommended Centripetal circuit before (I could be wrong), that or charlotte night (for the lights)

But with the recent graphics updates, Twin Ring or New Smyrna? Any tests on that?

Roush_fan_99
^I think it was Jav who recommended Centripetal circuit before (I could be wrong), that or charlotte night (for the lights)

But with the recent graphics updates, Twin Ring or New Smyrna? Any tests on that?

Duh!
Can't believe I didn't think of Centripetal.
Pics of the Rothmans Mazda incoming tonight.

Would be really cool if someone made a photomode plug in like GT5 has...

^ CTRL + F12 is the closest thing to that

I recently said it was about a GB for all the paints I'm subscribed to, lol, it's actually closer to 7.5 GB:dunce:

As promised, obviously still a WIP.
Coming along better than I thought.
Any suggestions?
Think I'm going to make the "Mazda" under the Rothmans a bit smaller and move it all up a little bit.
Sorry, they're a bit big (the pics). I forgot to resize them. :guilty:

Picture6.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

So I took your ideas and re-designed the car. I decided to make it on a mx5 cup as thatÂ’s the car I race most.

kbmonstermazda.jpg

Now the bits a green, beige colour are the things I donÂ’t know what they do. IÂ’m unable to load up the sim as im on holiday so could anyone tell me the parts I donÂ’t know.
Thanks
Smuffy

Does anyone have a link to a guide for painting these cars in Gimp? And I mean a pretty basic one as I've never tried this before. I opened the CTS skin with Gimp but I couldn't even figure out how to paint the car in black...

My brand new Target Indy 500 paint scheme courtesy of Paul Courage on the iRacing forums. He did an awesome job.

Target1.jpg

Target2.jpg

Back