Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
I bought my PSVR alone for GT7. And for me its worth it. It totally changed the game to a point where it will be very hard for me to ever play another racing game in non VR. The game is simple brilliant now, its a complete different experience.

But I do understand that its kind of expensive. Everything is relative, for me it dosen't really make a difference if I bought it or not, but for someone who has a lower income I can certainly see its quite expensive.

As for the other negatives. Motion sickness, its breaks easy and so on. I think those are very biased views. I have not heard of anyone who was not able to overcome the motion sickness in a few days. And of course with a lot of units sold some will break, but I don't think its any worse than other electronics.

Also it may be expensive. but if you where to buy a similar experience for PC the cost will be much higher.

So with that said I think GT7 is the best GT7. Its not perfect, although PD could very easy change it towards perfect. Just give more single player events with more resonable payouts. Give a lot better payouts for Online racing, and also for custom races.

I mean... if you want to spend $550 on a console-locked headset sure. I don't have the kind of money to throw $550 at one game just to make it decent. If I did, I'd have a VR headset for my PC instead.
I get that. Especially since I actually got PSVR2 only for GT7.

But IMO VR doen´t make GT7 "decent", it makes it A MA ZING.

To me it´s absolutely transformative.

I wont tell you that it´s "worth it" simply because I don´t know what €550 is to you, but I really hope you (and everyone on this fine forum) get a chance to try it.

Annoying VR guy out ;)

Rubber banding AND boost in Create Race mode. That makes it worse than GTS. Nothing was worse than GT6 though. The race game with no racing in it.

Eliminate the rubber banding and boost and fix payouts and it becomes at least better than GT5.

To me it's close to the best. I fell in love with GT4. GT6 and GT5 were my whole teen years, but those were imperfect, inconsistent games. The standard cars AND tracks really did a number on my overall enjoyment, as I have always like polished games.

GT7 is polish itself. It's a classy game, full of things that I couldn't imagine back in the GT5 days, I underrated those games because they had 800 cars looking like crap, with no cockpit view - awful shadows too. Graphics make a big difference to me, that's why GT4, GT3, GT2 and GT7 are the best in the series.

I think VR people probably share the sentiment that immersion >>> other things. I can't wait to get my hands on a rig, and the VR2 headset, hope PS5 Pro is real, so it looks even better there, on VR.

To me it goes like:
GT4
GT2 and GT1
GT7
GT3
GT5
GT6

Last edited:
It was the worst in the series on day one. Reasons? Microtransactions, absence of races, always online DRM, poor circuit variety, catch the rabbit races, no qualifying, no actual championships, no races above "A" licence, poor credit pay out, manipulative "FOMO" tactics, straight up lying from developers ("Gran Turismo is back!" Errr... No it isn't)

Fix payouts for same races including custom races and add a proper career mode and gt7 is the best gran turismo in the franshise
At some point, GT5 and GT6 would have been "best in the series" with just a few more races and some minor adjustments here and there.

It didn't happen then, and I don't think it will ever fully happen now with GT7. They do keep adding races, but at least half of them are meh/bad.

At some point, GT5 and GT6 would have been "best in the series" with just a few more races and some minor adjustments here and there.

It didn't happen then, and I don't think it will ever fully happen now with GT7. They do keep adding races, but at least half of them are meh/bad.
The reason why i said this is becouse unlike gt5 and gt6, we have much better car sounds now, option for widebody on multiply cars, exhaust changes when you upgrade them just not in sound but looks as well, more upgrade parts has more impact on the sound than before, and also engine swaps witch previous games never had, their is just good amount of detail in a lot of aspects, and feature i love in gt7 custom races, is the option to choise the car in your garage for any of your ai, witch currently not many racing games offer, and when sophy arrives we could possible have the best racing ever in single player maybe they are waiting for proper career until that are ready, but it might be years away

It was the worst in the series on day one. Reasons? Microtransactions, absence of races, always online DRM, poor circuit variety, catch the rabbit races, no qualifying, no actual championships, no races above "A" licence, poor credit pay out, manipulative "FOMO" tactics, straight up lying from developers ("Gran Turismo is back!" Errr... No it isn't)
Actully they was 10 championchips in total all avaiable at day one, but no more has been added, always online will be standard in more games in future to, even the new forza motorsport will be always online for the single player

Last edited:
I bought my PSVR alone for GT7. And for me its worth it. It totally changed the game to a point where it will be very hard for me to ever play another racing game in non VR. The game is simple brilliant now, its a complete different experience.

But I do understand that its kind of expensive. Everything is relative, for me it dosen't really make a difference if I bought it or not, but for someone who has a lower income I can certainly see its quite expensive.

As for the other negatives. Motion sickness, its breaks easy and so on. I think those are very biased views. I have not heard of anyone who was not able to overcome the motion sickness in a few days. And of course with a lot of units sold some will break, but I don't think its any worse than other electronics.

Also it may be expensive. but if you where to buy a similar experience for PC the cost will be much higher.

So with that said I think GT7 is the best GT7. Its not perfect, although PD could very easy change it towards perfect. Just give more single player events with more resonable payouts. Give a lot better payouts for Online racing, and also for custom races.

I get that. Especially since I actually got PSVR2 only for GT7.

But IMO VR doen´t make GT7 "decent", it makes it A MA ZING.

To me it´s absolutely transformative.

I wont tell you that it´s "worth it" simply because I don´t know what €550 is to you, but I really hope you (and everyone on this fine forum) get a chance to try it.

Annoying VR guy out ;)
Couldn’t agree more with both opinions. VR is just the thig in gaming which was my dream from childhood when I saw old 90s vr headsets and some kind of untitled racing game with low poly vector graphics. Back then it was unbelivable and now here we are, having somthing this immersive. GT7 on VR isn’t the best GT game that I played, It is the best racing game for me. It is just game changer.

The reason why i said this is becouse unlike gt5 and gt6, we have much better car sounds now, option for widebody on multiply cars, exhaust changes when you upgrade them just not in sound but looks as well, more upgrade parts has more impact on the sound than before, and also engine swaps witch previous games never had, their is just good amount of detail in a lot of aspects, and feature i love in gt7 custom races, is the option to choise the car in your garage for any of your ai, witch currently not many racing games offer, and when sophy arrives we could possible have the best racing ever in single player maybe they are waiting for proper career until that are ready, but it might be years away

Actully they was 10 championchips in total all avaiable at day one, but no more has been added, always online will be standard in more games in future to, even the new forza motorsport will be always online for the single player
The championships aren't true championships. There is no driver standings, no race sequence, no champion payout...

The championships aren't true championships. There is no driver standings, no race sequence, no champion payout...
Thats false, their points for each race on those championchips you must have missed them, and you get championchip payout on end depending on where you end up

So I was super active active on here and then dropped off for a few months, work has been nuts. I have a driving rig and bought psvr2 just for it. I logged in yesterday and my PSN is about to expire, I looked around the offline content and considered selling everything ps5 and all. This game is depressing unless you actively race online or are able to make custom races and have fun with the rubberband AI.
The graphics are great, the tracks are great, the physics are good, the sound has improved.
But the gameplay, the grind, the lack of offline content and championships (why are there no MR races? I think this is the first mainline GT without them) the poor AI, the fact that you can buy your way to the endgame and then once you are there the only thing to do is collect 20 mil credit cars and entertain yourself. It doesn't make me want to come back

Thats false, their points for each race on those championchips you must have missed them, and you get championchip payout on end depending on where you end up
I haven't played in a very long time, but aside from the final menu book there was no championship of races where you did them as a championship.

I haven't played in a very long time, but aside from the final menu book there was no championship of races where you did them as a championship.
False again there is 10 in total, they are just some shorter ones like well with only 2 races, but they also pay out points each race, and have championchip payout out end, and first time you completed each you got a reward car for all 10 of them

Last edited:
False again there is 10 in total, they are just some shorter ones like well with only 2 races, but they also pay out points each race, and have championchip payout out end, and first time you completed each you got a reward car for all 10 of them
I'd hardly count 2 races as a championship (yes, that includes the special events in GT4). I know there are events like the touring car event, but they aren't tied to one championship you complete as one series at once. (Otherwise the Tokyo expressway or Le Mans grinding wouldn't be a thing)

I'd hardly count 2 races as a championship (yes, that includes the special events in GT4). I know there are events like the touring car event, but they aren't tied to one championship you complete as one series at once. (Otherwise the Tokyo expressway or Le Mans grinding wouldn't be a thing)
They are still championchips just short ones, you get bonus payout each time you complete it, but winning a car is only the first time, lemans and tokyo grind still earns you faster credits per hour,

GT7 is a solid 2.5 stars out of 5.

The singleplayer is artificially gated for players due to the cafe menus in a way that is not enjoyable or rewarding. It's like the game designers were forced to actually stick to a release date for once and weren't able or willing to design or tune the open-ended early gameplay that the best titles in the series presented to players.

I've been a fan since the original Playstation release. Kaz has a specific set of things that he fettishises like photography (and lighting), music and 'mood curation' for lack of a better term, car museum features, and whatnot.

Anything lacking in the game that fans get vocal enough about, and that makes it through the cultural barrier to Polyphony management, can get bogged down becasuse they try to do it in some bizarre high concept fashion rather than opting for a practical implementation.

The best example is the AI. Fans have complained about the AI forever. Instead of providing a pragmatic solution, they partnered with Sony to try to implement a ****ing machine deep learning solution that was available in beta for a few weeks. After several titles and a decade or two. And it's dead on arrival until it's implemented in every copy of GT7 because its too high concept. Sophy is vaporware until every user can use it today, plain and simple.

Kaz is a game designer like Hideo Kojima. You have to appreciate his unique vision and buy into it fully. But year after year as I get older, the vision is something I appreciated when I was 12 but it doesn't fit into modern game design anymore. Racing games used to move console sales in a huge way, but we're beyond that era. I'd even argue that racing games are no longer mainsteam titles like FPS / RPG / ARPG / action games. They have to do better in the fight for our time and attention. Kojima still delivers, Kaz does not, largely.

GT Sport was apparently a Polyphony black sheep in their recent years in that it was laser focused on delivering a specific experience and executed it very well.

At the end of the day, games are art because they produce an emotional reaction (or at lease are designed to try and do that). GT Sport left me envigorated beacuse they went out of their comfort zone and tried something bold with the game design. GT7 is a cynical retreat that keeps most of the bad stuff from previous GT singleplayer efforts and introduces very little new sizzle to offset that.

Watching each progressive Gran Turismo release is like observing an expert archer shooting an arrow at a target, and everyone in the crowd is watching and really excited. Instead of hitting that target, the arrow hits a bizarrely beautiful but smaller and impractically-shaped target next to ther original target, right in the bullseye, but it's not the target everyone was hoping for.

Last edited:
There's so many missed opportunities with GT7. If PD had basically remade GT4 with a revamped version of Sport added in, they'd have been able to print money endlessly. But as it stands, there's nowhere near enough single player content and Sport mode hasn't been interesting for a while now.

Licenses aren't needed past IA, meaning I spent time perfecting my skills in the licenses past that for no reason. Missions haven't been looked at since one of the earliest updates. No GT4 style manufacturer specific events. AI that doesn't pose a threat even on the highest difficulty. A distinct lack of races in single player in general (Monza had NOTHING for months on end). PP recommendations for races that if you match, you're completely overpowered and win by miles so if you want decent racing you deliberately have to handicap yourself. In Sport mode, you can rent the meta with no down side, BoP is still broken, penalties are questionable, DR is calculated in a way that it doesn't matter if you make 6 overtakes in a race after starting from the back, you still lose rating because you're in the bottom half of the pack (at least that's how I believe it works anyway).

I've spent a lot of time in GT7 now and while PD are still clearly doing work with cars and tracks coming in DLC (which I am grateful for, a lot of devs wouldn't release all this stuff for free), they're not doing nearly enough to keep the game interesting.

So I was super active active on here and then dropped off for a few months, work has been nuts. I have a driving rig and bought psvr2 just for it. I logged in yesterday and my PSN is about to expire, I looked around the offline content and considered selling everything ps5 and all. This game is depressing unless you actively race online or are able to make custom races and have fun with the rubberband AI.
The graphics are great, the tracks are great, the physics are good, the sound has improved.
But the gameplay, the grind, the lack of offline content and championships (why are there no MR races? I think this is the first mainline GT without them) the poor AI, the fact that you can buy your way to the endgame and then once you are there the only thing to do is collect 20 mil credit cars and entertain yourself. It doesn't make me want to come back
lobbies and clubs are hard to find but make the game worth it. I agree though, the amount of work left to the user to make the game replayable is absurd… but there are folks out there playing the game in ways that are fun and compelling. For example, the PP system they just never changed… plenty of lobbies run power/weight spec rooms, which are absolutely more even than anything GT7 online has cooked up

Gt7 is 8/10 for me since both Vr update and buyable ultimate parts and swaps update it really kicked life back to this game in my opinion is everything perfect no, but it getting better each month, its just a shame they dont put much effort on career mode, maybe they just wait for sophy to get ready before doing a proper career mode again

VXR
It's the payouts for racing that spoils the fun per mile quota.
This bothered me at first, but then I realized I'm not a car collector. I have plenty of money to do any mods on any of the cars that I want / own. I think the most I paid for a car was less than 2 million. Can't remember what it was though. Now that I'm playing in VR, I can enjoy the game and replay any races without really caring.

lobbies and clubs are hard to find but make the game worth it. I agree though, the amount of work left to the user to make the game replayable is absurd… but there are folks out there playing the game in ways that are fun and compelling. For example, the PP system they just never changed… plenty of lobbies run power/weight spec rooms, which are absolutely more even than anything GT7 online has cooked up
I agree, though as I said my issue is I dont really want to pay for PSN anymore, but without it GT7 is a dead game

GT3 was the last truly great Gran Turismo. It lacked the draconian missions of GT4 and was all good, solid racing. The series is far eclipsed by the likes of SCUD Race...
Are you seriously arguing that an arcade game from 1996, with four courses and four cars, is better than GT7? Because that's the only game by that title which exists.

Paying for that is a f' crime. Sony did us dirty with that trash.
You do relise you have to pay that on Xbox to right, and like $50 a year is not going to brake your bank

I agree, though as I said my issue is I dont really want to pay for PSN anymore, but without it GT7 is a dead game

I never touch the sport or even much online stuff in gt7, but i find plenty enjoyment of just driving around cars, tune customize, and driving in vr is a blast😃 you dont need a psn plus for that

Last edited:
Back