Playstation 3 System Update Thread

I'm surprised this update got a minor version increment...

Seems to me like it was less important than that.

Still I did mine yesterday whilst I wasn't using it - so that when it did get pushed I wasn't restricted from using my PS3 when I actually wanted to!

C.

I really do think sometimes that they place things in updates that will become active at a later date. It was like how Home suddenly appeared on the XMB on a particular date without any downloading.

I am however miffed as to why this is a major number, it should be 2.79 or something.

Robin.

Thanks for posting that link:tup:. I'm gonna save that and check it daily so I can update my dad and my sister's PSPs.

The firmware 3.00 video is out now and its seems that its mostly XMB and visual changes, no major features.

Actually if you watch the video it seems to me that they have made the XMB way over complex now and have unnecessarily duplicated things like the store under every section. Plus they have now well and truely ruined the simple white icons ethos and all these new icons dont match up with the sleek interface.

I dont like fact the console goes to a whats new section by default when you turn it on because all that news (like the news in the original RSS feed) is official and often out of date by gamers standards. If you belong to a forum there is pretty much nothing you dont know before that official feed says it.

They have added dynamic wallpapers and its about time! They have also added shimmer dust to the 'wave' wallpaper :lol:

Robin.

Yeah prety superficial changes.....unless theres more?......due on the 2nd of september, I say there could be more as they usualy don't give out full details till a day or two before it's released.

Oh and the animated wallpaper looks good. Whats new should hopefully be able to be turned off lke the RSS feed service.

Apparently the friends list is going to be organised a bit differently and you can click on someones profile to see a message list or something around those lines. I recall reading that yesterday.

I didn't find a thread on this in here - but feel free to merge if I missed something...

I've just read this over at C&VG...

C&VG news

Full details of Firmware 3... to be released on September 1st.

CVG
What's New" - The "Information Board" will be replaced with a "What's New" section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, "What's New" displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.

Status Indicator - In the top right corner we've added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

Friends List - Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends' respective profiles.

PlayStation Store Shortcuts - We've added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.

Personalization - Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.

Trophies - Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories-base trophies and add-on trophies-that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages - This is definitely needed!!!

C.

Thank goodness we now have a solid date for when the next update comes.
Now I don't need to repeatidly check the "System Update"

Ok, so its just 4 days left. Monday is update day and what better way to kick off a week than firmware 3.0. Its not as flash as everyone made out to be, the only thing that seems alright is the themes/avatars and the trophy thing. I am really only going to benefit from avatars, the amount of people with the same old avatars is silly.

Not sure this is the right place to ask - but will the update have any bearing on network connection issues?
Since the server upgrade at PD i along with most of the Aussie/Kiwi crew have had nothing but disconnects.....

Ok, so its just 4 days left. Monday is update day and what better way to kick off a week than firmware 3.0. Its not as flash as everyone made out to be, the only thing that seems alright is the themes/avatars and the trophy thing. I am really only going to benefit from avatars, the amount of people with the same old avatars is silly.

If thats true, then my friends shall look forward to seeing Translator-san on PSN:D

Status Indicator - In the top right corner we've added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

Excellent, this is something ive wanted for ages:)👍

Yeah, whats translator-san? I believe the "san" bit would be Japanese?
I take it you didn't see Kazunori Yamauchi at E3, and haven't been paying attention to any jokes made in the GT5 section since?

Hint: Look at his GTP avatar.

Oh in that case I think he has misinterpreted. You cant upload your own as far as im aware, only buy and download or the free ones they offer. More free ones will be added.

It's out now and I have installed it, sparkles. :)

I'm not too fond of how the friends are displayed now to be honest.

This is the worst firmware ever made. only good point is sparkles. friendlist is ugly, font is way too huge, they blur things when you select a folder... it basically runs everything and make it look like crap.

My theme looks so out of place and they added even more pstore icons obviously baaaaah i'm so pissed right now :(

I didnt think it would be that great by the sounds of it, ill install it later when I get home, so far not looking forward to it.

Back