Playstation 3 System Update Thread

I know preferences may be different for each person, but can you guys honestly say that the font size didn't become larger with 3.0? It was enough of a difference to throw me off at first, but as I said I would, I got used to it and moved on. Still, it did get larger, I don't see how you can deny that, and some think it looks bad.

I just want to be able to turn off the information scroll.

Yes an option to change it would be a good idea. :) Although after I downloaded 3.01 it did seem smaller? I must just be used to it now. :lol:

FoolKiller, someone on PSU.com said they found how to turn it off! Think it was in the PSN forum.
You can turn off What's New from popping up when you start the system, but the information ticker inside the online info box (which I do like) can't be.

I also think they need to allow some opacity settings on the info box, because TVs with major burn in issues may not like that nearly constant white box.

The update for this is exceptional. The quality on the BBC iPlayer is sooo good. It's pretty much full HDTV for free.

I totally agree, I didn't know anything about BBC iPlayer being implemented but its a very logical step in making PS3 an entertainment hub. I wonder if they can put the other catchup services on there, ITV uses Microsoft silverlight so I doubt that will work but what about 4OD.

Im not sure if anyone's noticed, but watch someone play NFS Shift and there game status updates and tells you what positon there in, thats pretty neat.

You can turn off What's New from popping up when you start the system, but the information ticker inside the online info box (which I do like) can't be.

I also think they need to allow some opacity settings on the info box, because TVs with major burn in issues may not like that nearly constant white box.

I turned off what's new and that scrolling info in top-right corner of the screen also disappeared, I can upload photos if someone likes, I think that if you turn off "what's new" you will turn off that scrolling thing too.

I turned off what's new and that scrolling info in top-right corner of the screen also disappeared, I can upload photos if someone likes, I think that if you turn off "what's new" you will turn off that scrolling thing too.
Unless I screwed up my setting somehow turning off What's New didn't change it on mine. I don't see What's New without actually selecting it, but the scroll is always there.

Unless I screwed up my setting somehow turning off What's New didn't change it on mine. I don't see What's New without actually selecting it, but the scroll is always there.

OK, that is interesting - on my UK account I have that option (in system settings menu) ON and that scrolling thing still does not appear :)

When I go to my USA account the "roll info" appears instantly even if I'm offline with this account, when I set option to off "info" does not go off - so I'm thinking that your main account is USA account ? Further more the only thing that rolls under my online status is "check out what's new in TV store" - I hope EU accounts will not get broken that way when TV store will be here cos I simply do not like that "info" thing :/

Just plugged my PS3 on the internet.

but my Gt5p update won't happen.
After a few minutes it can't dowload anymore. Anybody got a suggestion?

OK, that is interesting - on my UK account I have that option (in system settings menu) ON and that scrolling thing still does not appear :)

When I go to my USA account the "roll info" appears instantly even if I'm offline with this account, when I set option to off "info" does not go off - so I'm thinking that your main account is USA account ? Further more the only thing that rolls under my online status is "check out what's new in TV store" - I hope EU accounts will not get broken that way when TV store will be here cos I simply do not like that "info" thing :/
Lately mine has just said, "Meet The Beatles Rock the World." But yes, mine is a US account.

rsh
Just plugged my PS3 on the internet.

but my Gt5p update won't happen.
After a few minutes it can't dowload anymore. Anybody got a suggestion?
Checking the Prologue forum to start.

But if you go into News in the game's main menu it will then start back up where it left off (but your progress indicator bar will appear to start over).

While you may be correct, I assume he has just got the internet on his PS3.

Yeah sorry, I kinda sub consciously wrote that post, your reason is much better and he actually stated that in his post:ouch:.

I take it you don't enjoy gaming online, or use the PlayStation Store?

This is one of those updates that are required to use PSN.
Ah.
Yeah nah, i can't actually afford internet (or even a landline phone) at my house, so the PS3 only goes online if i bring it here to my girlfriends place (20 km's away). PS3 updates are usually just downloaded to a cellphone then transferred onto the PS3.

But i'm mostly liking/okay with the update, apart from the lack of PS3 logo when starting a game. Small text is just big enough to read on my 47" HDTV.

Guess what was deleted on the PlayStation forum:
I think they wanted people to have fun and ejoy the show since all dead players can talk to each other no matter what team you are on. But I will suggest it anyway. Not to mention that the next PS3 firmware update is going to allow cross game chat. So if players use that instead of in game communication then they would also be able to communicate enemies positions.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...?board.id=uncharteddf&message.id=68482#M68482

Hes from Naughty Dog.

Anyone having Disc recognition issues with Firmware 3.01? Just lately my PS3 randomly refuses to read my games. Sometimes it will read the disc but errors during startup and other times it will freeze mid game.

I've had a look around and their have been quite a few reports of this disc read failure because of 3.01. I would advise people not to download it yet until Sony realease the next firmware update. I guess they won't take too long if it effects enough people.

Last edited:
That's people assuming the failures are because of 3.01. It's a part that will break down, it's happened before 3.01.

That's people assuming the failures are because of 3.01. It's a part that will break down, it's happened before 3.01.

That's orginally what I thought but it doesn't make sense that it will read discs sometimes and not others. If the part has broken it shouldn't read all the time.

I'm going to hold out for a new firmware update and see if it fixes it, if it doesn't then I'll admit that my console is broken along with many others who all seem to have broken down at the same time. I desprately hope it fixes itself though, I really don't want to loose my launch 60GB, it's the best version.

EDIT: And right before MW2 Dammit.

That's orginally what I thought but it doesn't make sense that it will read discs sometimes and not others. If the part has broken it shouldn't read all the time.

I'm going to hold out for a new firmware update and see if it fixes it, if it doesn't then I'll admit that my console is broken along with many others who all seem to have broken down at the same time. I desprately hope it fixes itself though, I really don't want to loose my launch 60GB, it's the best version.

EDIT: And right before MW2 Dammit.

not true, just did work on a PS3 that would sometimes read a ps3 disc and sometimes not, it would always read ps1/2 discs. Console didn't even have the new firmware it was just a bad bluray drive which happens sometimes.

Back