Playstation 3 System Update Thread

My initial reaction was also a bit negative, but I quickly got used to the larger font, and think I like it.

I like the info bar, but I want the news ticker off of it. I had the RSS feed off for a reason, and that wasn't so that they could put it back.

The aesthetics of the friend's list is a bit disappointing. It maybe needs a solid box for the whole list, and definitely not that bland grey color. I think black would be better, or maybe giving us a choice.

This is the second firmware update with a change to some aesthetic that didn't give you an option for the old system.

And that is my main issue really. I don't mind that they do upgrade things like this, but give me option settings so I can pick and choose my favorite version of each part.

Oh well, my wallpaper went back up behind alba's theme and I am good again.

Now, about the new avatars and themes... One $3 dynamic theme? No avatars yet? Really? I hate to imagine what a premium, non-in house dynamic theme will cost.

Otherwise everything still works fine.

Foolkiller, apparently there is a free dynamic theme out for japanese PSN accounts. It is an Afrika theme, the zebra appear to walk around, it doesnt look that bad TBH.

Foolkiller, apparently there is a free dynamic theme out for japanese PSN accounts. It is an Afrika theme, the zebra appear to walk around, it doesnt look that bad TBH.
Yes, I know I can get this, although couldn't read the Japanese store to find it (thanks for telling me what it is so I can find it now), but perhaps a freebie for everyone (not SPARKLES) and a selection of pay for items would be the way to actually show us what they were talking about.

Heck, one new avatar even.

Avatars are pissing me off. At least let us choose letters or something. I know they're afraid of goatse avatars and that's why they won't let us upload our own.

My poor 1 friend having self doesn't see the difference in the friends list, but that newsticker is even more annoying than the old one. At least it goes away when you aren't connected to the internet.
The "Sparklez" seems okay to me, and I just reverted back to the font I was already using. I do like the new information bar along the top of the screen, and think it is much better than before. Finally, the battery logo doesn't obscure anything.

My main beef is the PSN link is in every folder now, but I am pretty sure that the DRAMA that it has been causing is going to force Sony to at least allow an option to turn it off.

As an aside, Sony really wants everyone to forget the past 3 years, don't they?

I don't know about you guys but I find the sparkles to be abit trippy and weird. If I really wanted Sparkles, I would just call up Chris Crocker.

Fixed for nostalgic funneh:sly:

You leave Chris Crocker alone, and I mean it! :D

I don't mind the 3.0 update, except for the sparkles! I wonder who came up with that?

A guy named 'FLASH' who hates sparkles. Interesting.

I love the sparkles. Especially if you select, or keep, the 'original' theme setting and choose the 'yellow' background color that's between purple and brown.

IT MAKES YOUR HDTV SET LOOK LIKE IT'S FULL OF BEER!

A guy named 'FLASH' who hates sparkles. Interesting.

I love the sparkles. Especially if you select, or keep, the 'original' theme setting and choose the 'yellow' background color that's between purple and brown.

I see why you like the sparkles now!:sly:

I love the sparkles. Especially if you select, or keep, the 'original' theme setting and choose the 'yellow' background color

:cheers: I'm going to try that as soon as I get home!

edit: :lol: It's great!

Last edited:
Well, I got the new theme from the Japanese store and it was nice right up until I realized that it has white clouds behind the XMB menu. :ouch:

Back to alba's theme and my wallpaper (lightning hitting the space shuttle launch pad at night).

I have a feeling that by this weekend I will have adjusted to the changes and moved on, but I feel the lack of options is annoying. I am not sure what they have against allowing us to customize within Sony's parameters.

I think i might just leave this update for now. Can anyone post pics of the new stuff?
I take it you don't enjoy gaming online, or use the PlayStation Store?

This is one of those updates that are required to use PSN.

Turned What's New off - I liked to be able to turn the PS3 on and load the game I was last playing without selecting it on the TV... What's new got in the way.

C.

Anyone noticed their trophies %s going cock a hoot since this?

My Fallout 3 percentage is 88%, yet it's been on 75% for ages as I've completed it and not played it in about 6 months.

I think it is both of the above, you see my % has gone up on all my played games and not all of them have downloadable content available. It does seem to have gone up more though on the ones that do. Has anyone got a definitive answer on this?

Has any one been having trouble getting on GTplanet with there PS3? I have been trying the past few days with no luck. My PS3 just locks up when it gets to the front page. And this is the only site i'm having problems with! NEED HELP!!!!!

The update for this is exceptional. The quality on the BBC iPlayer is sooo good. It's pretty much full HDTV for free.

Downloading it at the moment, though I'd wish they'd fix the font size. :irked:

I hate the small font on my HDTV. It's awkward when I'm tired...

For the next major update, I'm hoping for some other online TV players, like BBC's I-Player. Basically the online players for ITV, C4 and channel 5.
Also, the ability to manually change the font size for people's own personal preference.

Are you calling the massive font size in firmware 3.0 small? I look at it in full 1080P and it's far too big.

Back