Playstation 3 System Update Thread

I'm downloading it now, I didn't choose to download it when it was first optional either but I guess it's compulsory now.

In the time between my previous post and this one it has gone from maybe 5% to 45%. On my internet 130mb should take 15 minutes, what I am getting at is, is it just my internet or are the PSN servers a little slow tonight.

EDIT: 1% every one or two minutes :(. Why sony, why. I just escape my family for 1 hour and I spend the whole time downloading some damn update.

Last edited:
Exactly whats in this update? Its not the 3D TV one, is it?

Exactly whats in this update? Its not the 3D TV one, is it?

No, it was originally released in early December, its only just become compulsory. It added support for PS Minis on the PS3 and fixed a few trophy glitches. Apparently those who didnt update at first were experiencing extra glitches with trophies so Sony decided to make it compulsory today or at least thats the official excuse.

IMO its much more likely Sony have another update due soon so they forced this one so as the next update wont be so large.

It also could be due to the fact that the PS3s sold for christmas probably had the most up to date software available at the end of November so when Sony decided to add the support for minis the left the update optional so as those who received PS3s for christmas didnt spend an hour or more chistmas morning downloading updates.

@Legendary724; Your slow update probably had more to do with the time of day you tried it, I've noticed on my own connection in the last few months during peak times between 4pm-10pm GMT my broadband drops off significantly (by almost 90 - 95% which is not something I can afford on a 1Mb connection).

Last edited:
Any of you guys upset about the new firmware updated disalbing the "Install Other OS" feature? No more linux. :grumpy:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later
For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

Or is this some early April fools joke?

Well when that rumour first surfaced I thought Sony debunked it. I find the article a little odd though. Wouldn't the smart thing be that if you are removing some feature that you would also use the article to provide some good news of some additional feature as part of the update. Something to make up for the loss? It is just a general "bad news" article that is likely to just annoy people whether they even care for the feature.

As I said in the other thread, given we're only up to FW rev. 3.15, that the date for "release" is April 1st and the guy that wrote that blog entry isn't the usual dude that posts FW update info, it's safe to assume it's a joke. :lol:

As I said in the other thread, given we're only up to FW rev. 3.15, that the date for "release" is April 1st and the guy that wrote that blog entry isn't the usual dude that posts FW update info, it's safe to assume it's a joke. :lol:

Good point. Sometimes I just don't think about to things. :ouch:

Considered your point Sharky but there are two problems with it.

1. In recent times system updates have normally been on a Thursday. April 1st is a Thursday.

2. Have a look at this link at all the previous PS3 Firmware versions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

There is no pattern as to what the next firmware update will be. In some instances it has increased in version number by .01 and at other times it has even increased by .11 so an increase by .06 isn't far fetched.

Major corporations typically don't post April Fools jokes which will negatively impact their business + increase call volume to their call center (which costs them money). Sorry, this is real.

when i first read that , i was a bit pissed also even if i don't got linux on it anymore.
But you remember the guy who hacked through the ps3 partly??
maybe the security breach was made with linux???
than i can understand sony. But clearly they could compensate us or at least the people with an os installed. (as they can see it)

If it's an April joke, I think it's funny. If not, I'm not bothered, since I myself have a PC right next to my PS3.
Can imagine it must be devestating though for those who use it. But I think you need to consider Sony does everything needed to prevent a hack. It's business not pleasure :)

Wouldn't the smart thing be that if you are removing some feature that you would also use the article to provide some good news of some additional feature as part of the update. Something to make up for the loss? It is just a general "bad news" article that is likely to just annoy people whether they even care for the feature.
Oh, they did, but in the way only Sony can:

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.
All that needed was a, "So, we're all good right?"

If they were smart this would be part of an update that also added something cool that they are hiding, but I doubt that will happen.

Someone please explain to me what OS is. This most likely won't affect me since I have a laptop next to the cabinet in which my PS3 resides but I'm just curious about as to what that is since many seem greatly upset. I'd also like to know what Linux is, I've heard some funny stuff about it but I have no idea what it is.

Someone please explain to me what OS is. This most likely won't affect me since I have a laptop next to the cabinet in which my PS3 resides but I'm just curious about as to what that is since many seem greatly upset. I'd also like to know what Linux is, I've heard some funny stuff about it but I have no idea what it is.
OS = Operating System. Linux is an operating system, as is Windows, or Mac OS.

The PS3 fat models had an option to add another operating system and use it for something outside of the PlayStation world. Most commonly Yellow Hat Linux was used as it was designed to work with the Cell Processor.

I would guess that you don't mess around with too much heavy technical stuff. In that case, you won't even notice this is missing. If you have a slim your system will be unchanged.

OS = Operating System. Linux is an operating system, as is Windows, or Mac OS.

The PS3 fat models had an option to add another operating system and use it for something outside of the PlayStation world. Most commonly Yellow Hat Linux was used as it was designed to work with the Cell Processor.

Ah ok.

I would guess that you don't mess around with too much heavy technical stuff. In that case, you won't even notice this is missing. If you have a slim your system will be unchanged.

Until its really necessary and requires it, I really don't. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to know more about it as well.

I always loved the irony of putting linux on a PS3.

Jerome

After the recent update I no longer can access the PS store. I get the message this service is not available in your country region? Any ideas chaps. Ps I'm in UK.

No idea, but I had this too sometimes and it 'cured' itself after a while... probably a DNS issue.
PSN is messed up majorly (for me and few other people I know of), but who cares, it's free and for most people it seems to be working fine. :dunce:

Update. Checked in last night and all is well. It was the fact I updated and then had no joy in the store the freaked me out abit.

Back