Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Hmm, ok appearently there was no update yet, so I was wrong with the assumption 3D wasn't implemented with last update already it seems. My bad.

I still don't like updates tho and what's with the new user agreement thing ( only for EU ?) - anyone know what's changed?

PS: I finally can't even sign in here with my PS3 anymore, is that just me again?

3.4 is now out, there's now a feature for uploading and sharing photos and video (and editing video). I'm about to give it a whirl, if you can direct record from the PS3 then oh, my, god! I suspect it won't be that awesome though.

For anyone getting PlayStation Plus in the UK you can get it for £35 instead of £40 by buying 2 of these. Obviously anyone outside the UK can still get discounted PlayStation Network cards with a bit of searching. I'm still undecided if I'm going to sign up to it, might hang fire for a bit and see what content gets announced.

The video editing feature sounds good although it's only for videos added to the PS3 HDD after firmware 3.40.

I think I'll pass on Plus, I've not bought anything on the store really in all my time with the PS3 so why would I start now with something I don't need?

As regards video editing, I don't see the point if I can't capture my own videos, I could easily edit and upload videos on my laptop, probably easier, so why would I need software on my PS3 for the same job made more difficult? I think if it did allow capture there's a good chance I'd still edit it on my laptop, here's hoping it one day does allow screen capture.

I think I'll pass on Plus, I've not bought anything on the store really in all my time with the PS3 so why would I start now with something I don't need?

As regards video editing, I don't see the point if I can't capture my own videos, I could easily edit and upload videos on my laptop, probably easier, so why would I need software on my PS3 for the same job made more difficult? I think if it did allow capture there's a good chance I'd still edit it on my laptop, here's hoping it one day does allow screen capture.

For me the PS3 seems clumsy to even surf around the net let alone try to do video editing and uploading. Our pc is much better for that task.

Surfing is fine for me as I'm using a USB keyboard with my PS3 (bought it for my PS2 and still going strong), I rarely use however as I know there's plenty of things which don't show up correctly on the browser so why bother? I think however that video capturing would be fantastic, perhaps this is a hint towards that in future titles, GT5 is supposedly having some sort of youtube connection going on after all.

As regards video editing, I don't see the point if I can't capture my own videos, I could easily edit and upload videos on my laptop, probably easier, so why would I need software on my PS3 for the same job made more difficult?

The first thing I thought when I saw the video editing, and photo-upload feature was GT5! GT5 will have Photomode, and I am sure that someone mentioned that you could save video of replays to to YouTube or something, so maybe that is what they are for? 👍

As for plus, I'm going to give it a pass too. It is not what I imagined it would be. One thing that miffs me though, is that with Plus, your PS3 will automatically update itself, and your games library, that should be a core feature!!! :grumpy:

The first thing I thought when I saw the video editing, and photo-upload feature was GT5! GT5 will have Photomode, and I am sure that someone mentioned that you could save video of replays to to YouTube or something, so maybe that is what they are for? 👍

That's what I was thinking (as below) hopefully this is a sign towards that, I'd never want to even consider editing any video on my PS3 unless it way my own footage.

GT5 is supposedly having some sort of youtube connection going on after all.

I will have to play with this video editing feature a bit more. It seems like any video added to your PS3 after the update will work, or did I read that incorrectly?

Where this might be really handy is if you already have a PlayStation Eye and the free Eye Create software. If all that will work together you can record videos and/or photos, edit them, and upload them for sharing all with your PS3. This either has a lot of potential or will be a major failure. I'm not sure yet.

I have a feeling it will be a case of you get out of it what you put into it.

All things alot of us can already do with our computers of various sorts, why would I want to specifically record something into my PS3 when I could do the same with my laptop using the webcam (which is decent enough quality). It just seems on it's own to be a feature that wasn't worth the effort for the majority of the consumers, how many of said consumers who would use this software don't already have access to half decent software on a computer of some variety already?

I really do hope it's a nod towards screen capturing otherwise for me at the very least it's worthless, and I just can't see that many people using it. I don't even know anyone personally who has the Eye, I know I don't but my webcam is compatible with the PS3 as well.

Surfing is fine for me as I'm using a USB keyboard with my PS3 (bought it for my PS2 and still going strong), I rarely use however as I know there's plenty of things which don't show up correctly on the browser so why bother? I think however that video capturing would be fantastic, perhaps this is a hint towards that in future titles, GT5 is supposedly having some sort of youtube connection going on after all.

Yep, you'll be able to upload your replays from both offline and Online to youtube. If you have Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X., Its pretty simple to do. I did a test run on this feature an alternate youtube account and the video comes out in great quality.

All things alot of us can already do with our computers of various sorts,
You just described every feature of every console that doesn't involve exclusive video games, or playing Blu-Ray movies on the PS3.

why would I want to specifically record something into my PS3 when I could do the same with my laptop using the webcam (which is decent enough quality). It just seems on it's own to be a feature that wasn't worth the effort for the majority of the consumers, how many of said consumers who would use this software don't already have access to half decent software on a computer of some variety already?
The same could be said for displaying photos, videos, playing music, Folding, Netflix, Internet Browser, Facebook, Twitter, non-exclusive games, text chat, messaging, video chat, etc.

As with all the features from above that I actually use, I am going to guess that for someone there is a degree of added convenience in being able to do it all right on your TV. Yep, I can show friends my vacation photos on my laptop, but on my PS3 they get put on a 42" HDTV. A funny video clip is the same.

Not having dealt with the new editing software I cannot say if it brings anything more to the table than Windows Movie Maker.

I really do hope it's a nod towards screen capturing
Um, the PS3 has screen capturing from the in-game XMB for any games that have added the functionality to work with it.

I don't even know anyone personally who has the Eye, I know I don't
But Sony just launched a new controller that requires the Eye. Perhaps this is an added feature bonus kind of thing to make that even more appealing?

Tell me Foolkiller, do you have any games that have the Screen capturing/Video capturing features? I have one game where I can capture Photos in-game(Tekken 6) and one that captures videos in-game(H.A.W.X.)

You just described every feature of every console that doesn't involve exclusive video games, or playing Blu-Ray movies on the PS3.

The same could be said for displaying photos, videos, playing music, Folding, Netflix, Internet Browser, Facebook, Twitter, non-exclusive games, text chat, messaging, video chat, etc.

Don't use, don't use, do play music (better speakers then my laptops), don't use, don't use, don't use, don't use, don't have another gaming system, use text chat to talk whilst playing games if they don't have an IM service, same for messaging, don't use video chat. That's just me though.

You're right about photo displays on a large screen, but do you really do that often? Everytime you have a guest over you don't show them a slideshow do you?! :scared::lol:. On a side note, alot of TVs can already take inputs from modern cameras however and there's no need to add a middle man to that.

In the end I think it's fair to say most people use their PS3 to play movies and video games or things related to them (like using chat to discuss video games or arrange a game).

Um, the PS3 has screen capturing from the in-game XMB for any games that have added the functionality to work with it.

I mean video, I know only of screen capturing photos (print screen essentially) and I know that already exists in for example Dirt 2, but I would never make a slide show or share it on PSN, I've only ever showed them to friends on IM and in the Dirt 2 gallery thread right here. I was thinking a more global use of it though, it's all well and good having it for specific titles but perhaps there could be a way to record anything.

But Sony just launched a new controller that requires the Eye. Perhaps this is an added feature bonus kind of thing to make that even more appealing?

Correct, I did think maybe Move might help but I still suspect people will use Move to play games and it won't suddenly make people want to make videos.

Tell me Foolkiller, do you have any games that have the Screen capturing/Video capturing features? I have one game where I can capture Photos in-game(Tekken 6) and one that captures videos in-game(H.A.W.X.)
If I do I am unaware because I haven't had a desire to use it.

You're right about photo displays on a large screen, but do you really do that often? Everytime you have a guest over you don't show them a slideshow do you?! :scared::lol:.
I have a 4-month-old infant. Everyone wants to see the pictures.

On a side note, alot of TVs can already take inputs from modern cameras however and there's no need to add a middle man to that.
If by middle man you mean the ability to control the slideshow wirelessly and zoom in on images from the comfort of my sofa...I don't need it, but I sure do love having it.

In the end I think it's fair to say most people use their PS3 to play movies and video games or things related to them (like using chat to discuss video games or arrange a game).
And some of us have turned it into a multimedia hub because our desktops are in another room and the difference between huddling around a 17" laptop screen or sitting comfortably anywhere in the room to watch a 42" HDTV is huge. But then I also needed to add a 320GB internal HDD and a 500GB external HDD to my PS3.

I recognize I don't represent everyone, as I just met a guy that has never even put his PS3 online, but without its various multimedia features my PS3 would get much less use. Even my wife loves all the features and uses it regularly, but never plays games.

Correct, I did think maybe Move might help but I still suspect people will use Move to play games and it won't suddenly make people want to make videos.
My overall goal was merely to point out that for some people this new feature will be useful as pretty much all additional features beyond games are something you could do on a PC, but they do get used. I am sure that Sony is aware that not every feature will be used by everyone, which is why they are often added in with an update that adds a larger chunk of functionality.

I think this post here further proves that the PS3 Only does everything :D

FoolKiller
If I do I am unaware because I haven't had a desire to use it

So I guess you haven't really found a game worth using those particular features. I've used the Photo capturing on one game alot mainly for the Costume customization it has. I've had alot of fun with it whether it was putting together a nice outfit or doing something goofy just for the laughs (which my Sister does more often).

I'm considering PlayStation Plus. I think its too early to judge it when we don't have a month to month release schedule. The first month is not the best offering in deals on older titles. The Magic balls free expansions are very tempting. Also the other games are discounted with all the expansions free. We must remember it's one time annual fee gives you access to many free games. you get your monies worth in a few months.

If it includes Hulu Plus at no xtra charge I'm in.

I'd like to know more about this Playstation plus. All I know so far is that you'll get exclusive access to certain content before everyone else and you get all the necessary updates automatically when you turn the PS3 on.

The news I read on Games Radar yesterday made no mention of PSN+ having anything to do with Hulu+. In addition, it appears that the $10/month will allow you to use Hulu+ on any device it is compatible with (iPads, computers, etc.), so I can't see Sony doing some kind of backroom deal with Hulu when the service isn't Playstation-specific.

My overall goal was merely to point out that for some people this new feature will be useful as pretty much all additional features beyond games are something you could do on a PC, but they do get used. I am sure that Sony is aware that not every feature will be used by everyone, which is why they are often added in with an update that adds a larger chunk of functionality.

To save more lenghty posts, all I'll say is I never claimed everyone only uses certain features. I'm not sure if it was aimed at me specifically or for the clarification of others but I already knew what you were pointing out to me and that's why I avoided saying everyone only does this, nobody uses that and such. I still don't see why you would edit videos on there instead of on a PC, then transfer to your PS3 for playback, and I don't think you'll make a flashy slideshow with music either, you'll just put the photos on the PS3 and display them.

I'm not questioning having video playback, or photos on there in the first place, it's this specific update with editing and such that I just don't think was worth the time.

RACECAR
So I guess you haven't really found a game worth using those particular features.
Not games that don't already have a built-in photomode, no. I have done images from LBP and Wipeout HD. But then I have gotten far behind in my gaming lately too.

I'm considering PlayStation Plus. I think its too early to judge it when we don't have a month to month release schedule. The first month is not the best offering in deals on older titles. The Magic balls free expansions are very tempting. Also the other games are discounted with all the expansions free. We must remember it's one time annual fee gives you access to many free games. you get your monies worth in a few months.
918011885_nBxvB-L.jpg

I too am undecided. Part of me thinks it might be worth it, but part of me thinks $50 in my pocket is more worth it.

I still don't see why you would edit videos on there instead of on a PC, then transfer to your PS3 for playback,
I don't see why people use Facebook, much less want their PS3 to update their trophy status automatically. I can think of a situation where you would do this, as I have copied videos to my PS3 before my PC just to see how they look. If adding some background music or a title was just a matter of pushing buttons on my DS3 then I just saved time.

But without having played with the editor, I don't know. Part of me hopes it would be more functional than what your average Joe can get for free on PC.

it's this specific update with editing and such that I just don't think was worth the time.
What time? It was added on as a side feature to an update for PSN+ and was likely a busy work side project with no hard due date on the production schedule, just something to work on when larger projects were being held up in a different stage.

As someone who has been using video editing software for the last three years (or is it four?),I'm very interested in how this video editing works and exactly what I can do with it. If its simple yet effective like WMM, then its definately worth it, especially if there ever comes a freak occurance where I lose everything on my Laptop. If not, still might be worth it, especially if it involves editing the in-game videos I've recorded.

I too am undecided. Part of me thinks it might be worth it, but part of me thinks $50 in my pocket is more worth it.

If they had a release schedule it would make it easy to decide, but then less people would jump in without that risk factor.

Back