[POLL] United States Presidential Elections 2016

The party nominees are named. Now who do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about those polls huh? You think they might have been purposely manipulated (puts on tin foiled hat), or people were just afraid to speak out that they were supporting Trump in fear of being labeled a racist or bigot by the legion of social justice warriors?

In any case i had a grin on my face the whole day just reading and listening to all the shocked reactions from team snowflake :)

Good luck Americans, hope Trump keeps his word now.

Now that is just plain offensive, we have terrific beer and some bad, mass-produced beer as well, just like you do in Australia. Fosters is garbage.
Now while I agree with you that some American beer is good, even the Aussies arn't daft enough to drink Fosters, they only sell that to idiots abroad.

Its safer to say that most mass produced beer is poor, regardless of the country of origin.

It has been an harsh campaign from both sides but finally it's over. They say Trump is somehow close to Putin. I don't know if this is for better or worse, but MAYBE this "close tied" could stop the same old proxy/cold war against Russia. Am I too optimistic? With if USA and Russia finally adopt the same strategy against isis?

The main criteria to meet will most likely be agreeing with whatever Trump wants.

Not that HC would have likely done any different.
Not necessarily. FDR filled the court with handpicked judges, and they basically enforced his version of the Democrat party for the next 20+ years. It didn't work out so well for them in the end.

It has been an harsh campaign from both sides but finally it's over. They say Trump is somehow close to Putin. I don't know if this is for better or worse, but MAYBE this "close tied" could stop the same old proxy/cold war against Russia. Am I too optimistic? With if USA and Russia finally adopt the same strategy against isis?
What you mean not actually targeting them and just supporting your allies in the country by killing his rivals?

Russia are not targeting IS in Syria, they are targeting anyone who opposed to Assad (as they like having a port in the country), most of whom are not IS and are quite happy to commit war crimes in the process.

Great model to follow.

How about those polls huh? You think they might have been purposely manipulated (puts on tin foiled hat), or people were just afraid to speak out that they were supporting Trump in fear of being labeled a racist or bigot by the legion of social justice warriors?

In any case i had a grin on my face the whole day just reading and listening to all the shocked reactions from team snowflake :)

Good luck Americans, hope Trump keeps his word now.
Three factors might account for how far off the polls were.
- Respondents were untruthful for various reasons
- Polling models were obsolete and require update
- Herd effect amongst pollsters

What you mean not actually targeting them and just supporting your allies in the country by killing his rivals?

Russia are not targeting IS in Syria, they are targeting anyone who opposed to Assad (as they like having a port in the country), most of whom are not IS and are quite happy to commit war crimes in the process.

Great model to follow.
Yeah it's really a mess overthere, in the last months, I think more or less after the failed (or orchestrated?) Turkish golpe the "war against IS" went south and now it's more a "let's try to gain as much as possible from this mess" for everyone involved.

My personal hypothesis is that the second factor you've listed is the most important, that the polling models didn't account for a higher-than-expected turnout of working class white people.

Actually do most of these polls offer people anonymity? They could also do 'selective' polling which might explain how they were so far off. Herd effect would be weird seeing people are probably interviewed separately, and if you're a herd kinda person you would have probably have voted like the herd afterwards too due to lack of character or free thinking.

I have explained already.

It's not acceptable and not up for discussion.
Moving on then, I find it very unsettling how you labelled his entire post as bigoted. SJWs are a large cause of concern, they threaten freedom of speech with things already mentioned like microagressions, forced pronouns for made up genders with absolutely no basis in science whatsoever, and so on. They are a legitimate problem.

Moving on then, I find it very unsettling how you labelled his entire post as bigoted. SJWs are a large cause of concern, they threaten freedom of speech with things already mentioned like microagressions, forced pronouns for made up genders with absolutely no basis in science whatsoever, and so on. They are a legitimate problem.
But not in this thread.

There's only really one shocking thing about this outcome.

These were the two worst candidates in the entire history of US Presidential Elections... in fact probably any kind of election ever. If this seems like hyperbole, remember that Trump's position as the worst candidate in history has been stated over and over again in the last few weeks, and he beat Clinton. Feel free to point to the fact he didn't beat her in the popular vote, but that currently stands only 0.2% in her favour - so she's either worse than the worst by virtue of being beaten, or fractionally better than the worst. Either way, they're 1 and 2 in all-time worst candidates (so far).

When faced with that, 95.2% of Americans who voted, voted for one of them anyway.

Knowing that just 5% of them needed to vote for one of the two third party candidates to avoid a repeat of this utter anusfest, they still went for Kang or Kodos.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

But not in this thread.

There's only really one shocking thing about this outcome.

These were the two worst candidates in the entire history of US Presidential Elections... in fact probably any kind of election ever. If this seems like hyperbole, remember that Trump's position as the worst candidate in history has been stated over and over again in the last few weeks, and he beat Clinton. Feel free to point to the fact he didn't beat her in the popular vote, but that currently stands only 0.2% in her favour - so she's either worse than the worst by virtue of being beaten, or fractionally better than the worst. Either way, they're 1 and 2 in all-time worst candidates (so far).

When faced with that, 95.2% of Americans who voted, voted for one of them anyway.

Knowing that just 5% of them needed to vote for one of the two third party candidates to avoid a repeat of this utter anusfest, they still went for Kang or Kodos.

I think that probably just goes to show that most of the talk was just that, and that in reality people were more than happy to vote for one of the two.

Or everyone just forgot you can vote for someone else.

No she didn't, where did you get that? I thought she said the right things about Democracy, getting behind President Elect Donald Trump and working together to build a brighter tomorrow and all of that jazz, it was a well-thought out and delivered concession speech.
Her speech was fine. I was talking about CNN's after commentary.

Or everyone just forgot you can vote for someone else.

I'd say it's more likely that there was a lack of trust in everyone else to vote for a third party candidate, that's why a two party system which relies on politicians and political insiders and intentionally ignores the people (at least in her case) to decide the nominees is a bad idea, it can lead to a situation like this with two wildly unpopular candidates commanding the vast majority of the votes.

Herd effect would be weird seeing people are probably interviewed separately, and if you're a herd kinda person you would have probably have voted like the herd afterwards too due to lack of character or free thinking.
By herd effect amongst pollsters I mean that none of the mainstream pollsters want their polls to be very far from the mean of other pollsters, i.e., they did not want to appear to be an "outlier".

The error in the national polls looks about the same size as the average error for past elections, it might even end up being lower once all the votes are in. And this election had far more undecided voters than normal. Statewise the polls in the midwest were much further off and there'll be something to answer for there - a 'shy Trump' factor is definitely plausible, but as @DK says it could well be Trump had a better-than-expected turnout amongst his voter base (and vice versa for Clinton).

To be honest I think generally polls go a good job at what they're intended to do, but every election people (and media) routinely think they do something else - and then they act shocked when they don't actually do that. At the end of the day polls can't tell you everything, and they're probabilistic rather than deterministic in nature.

FiverThirtyEight in their final forecast had Clinton's win chance at 70%, vs. 30% for Trump - meaning Clinton was favourite, but Trump had an outside shot...........which is pretty much how the result played out!

they still went for Kang or Kodos.

Totally fair. I have no idea. I did everything I could, talked to everyone I know about why they shouldn't feel obliged to vote for one of those two 'hats, and the response was always the same "I have to vote for Kang because Kodos is even worse".

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Left, right and center, we all want and demand greater economic growth - otherwise we die on the vine, crucified on the altar of debt, pick your analogy. Both parties having failed to deliver, we have come to the collective decision that an outsider is required. Therefore we accept the admittedly greater risk entailed.

Currently I think historians tell us that John Tyler was our worst president; because he refused to take the nation to war with Mexico.

Left, right and center, we all want and demand greater economic growth - otherwise we die on the vine, crucified on the altar of debt, pick your analogy. Both parties having failed to deliver, we have come to the collective decision that an outsider is required. Therefore we accept the admittedly greater risk entailed.

uuuuuhhhh... what? An outsider is required therefore we have no standards?

In the 2016 Presidential election we had two (legitimate) outsiders. One was Trump, who is insane. The other was Gary Johnson, who left the republicans after being a successful governor of New Mexico. We didn't just pick the outsider, we picked the insane outsider.

I also look forward to December 16th, which promises to be an absolute diarrhoea volcano of faithless electors.

uuuuuhhhh... what? An outsider is required therefore we have no standards?

In the 2016 Presidential election we had two (legitimate) outsiders. One was Trump, who is insane. The other was Gary Johnson, who left the republicans after being a successful governor of New Mexico. We didn't just pick the outsider, we picked the insane outsider.
Third party in the U.S. might as well be no party. It's like thinking the Green Party is an alternative in Canada vs. the Big Three, well, big Two and Little Sister:lol:.

Stock reactions:

Tokyo: Down by 5.36%
London: Up by 1 point
New York: Up by .78 points (the S&P)

One other idle thought. You know that whole mass surveillance thing where all y'all who don't care say you've got nothing to hide so you have nothing to fear? Donald Trump now has your data*.

Sleep tight.

*For balance, had Hillary got hold of it, she'd have probably got her maid to print it, lost it, let it fall into the hands of five foreign governments, deleted it and then you'd have committed suicide by a double-tap to the base of the skull...

There is one thing that I hate about America's election system as a hole. It is the way how people choose the candidates, and if you are a Democrate or Republican you always by law have to choose that until the main election starts. We had so much more candidates from the independents, Democrates, and Republicans. The party system really should not be used in my opinion, it feels very seperated in terms of political power between Democrates and Republicans, like for example. The power struggles on the senate and politicians. I cannot wait to see the outcome of the storm that is arising, and I am sulfide s everyone in America is not a doctrinated slave to the higher powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back