Project Motor Racing (formerly GTR Revival/GTRevival) from Ian Bell & original GTR2/SimBin crew

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 867 comments
See, I knew there'd be a Project somewhere in the name. 😀

Good to see them back with news and updates again. It still all seems very interesting.

Ok. Whats the new engine? They said it will be changed from UE5?
Could be Giants own engine they use for Farming Simulator. Ian did say at one time that he'd like detailed grass and foliage movement as the cars passed, so he'd be onto a winner with that. 🙂
The game may now also include ride on mower racing.

I'm on the hype train. Bring it.

Spongebob Squarepants GIF by Minecraft

As far as what has been shown and said, I wouldn't come to that conclusion. Seemingly different everything from the Project Cars series all but having the word Project in the name. It sounds like he's done that already and is on to a different path.
I guess I'd look at it this way; Led Zeppelin makes different albums, some may be better than others but it's still all Led Zeppelin.
All in all, what differs Project Cars from any of the other sims? Pick cars, go on track, race them. AC is the same. rF2 is the same. You could argue that PC2 even had a better career than AC (which would be interesting if he actually does go the career route in this).

Last edited:
Now Project Motor Racing
Liked GT Revival better. But at the end of the day, the name doesn’t matter. Always thought Project Cars sounded a bit funny or exactly that, a project, just something we’re messing around with.

As far as what has been shown and said, I wouldn't come to that conclusion. Seemingly different everything from the Project Cars series all but having the word Project in the name. It sounds like he's done that already and is on to a different path.
I guess I'd look at it this way; Led Zeppelin makes different albums, some may be better than others but it's still all Led Zeppelin.
All in all, what differs Project Cars from any of the other sims? Pick cars, go on track, race them. AC is the same. rF2 is the same. You could argue that PC2 even had a better career than AC (which would be interesting if he actually does go the career route in this).
IIRC, in one of the latest interviews, he stated what they're working on is essentially PCARS 4, he said it will be like PCARS 2, not like 3.

IIRC, in one of the latest interviews, he stated what they're working on is essentially PCARS 4, he said it will be like PCARS 2, not like 3.
In the aspect that PC2 was a sim and PC3 was not. He said that it will be more of a spiritual successor to the GTR series, hence the first name this project was. With the direction of the pictures being shown, different eras of GT1 cars and Group C cars, I would be happy.
What does being like PC2 really mean though when you think about it? Again, it's the pick car, car classes, race, repeat. Outside of adding a career, the Sim formula is pretty much you make your own fun.
I'm hoping it has championships because I personally use that a lot in AMS2 and AC. PC2 didn't have that.
If it has breaking blocks for points on a track with pin ball machine noises, I'm ooouuuuuuuttttt.

It's funny I came across the article here just as I got the newsletter from Straight 4 in my email. It will interesting to see what they reveal at Gamescon

Liked GT Revival better. But at the end of the day, the name doesn’t matter. Always thought Project Cars sounded a bit funny or exactly that, a project, just something we’re messing around with.
Honestly I preferred GT Revival myself. But I believe there's several factors at play that may be what's brought around this decision. First, the scope of the game has expanded from the original vision. That and brand recognition, avoiding confusion with another popular franchise, etc. Project Motor Racing does work well, especially when you consider that with PC1 & particularly 2, they almost weren't about the cars, they were about motorsport, if that makes sense?

Honestly I preferred GT Revival myself. But I believe there's several factors at play that may be what's brought around this decision. First, the scope of the game has expanded from the original vision. That and brand recognition, avoiding confusion with another popular franchise, etc. Project Motor Racing does work well, especially when you consider that with PC1 & particularly 2, they almost weren't about the cars, they were about motorsport, if that makes sense?
I agree with you. I think we will get a better feel for the name once they have their showcase at Gamescon

"Project motor racing". This is one of the worst titles one can name their game. If they wanna keep the 'project' in the title why not name it "project racing", "project race cars" or "Not Project cars".
In all seriousness I hope they change the title before release because I already forgot what it's called

I think what bothers me with the title is cars have ENGINES not MOTORS (except for EV’s, those have motors). Maybe “Project Auto Racing” would be better.

I understand keeping the word Project in the title but anybody interested in this game already know it’s from the same guys as Project Cars so why not just start fresh if everything else it fresh?

I still think it’s better than Assetto Corsa or Automobilista. I don’t particularly like Gran Turismo either but it’s been around so long and it just gets reduced to GT7 anyway.

Hopefully the game is on par with PC2 and then some!

Project Motorsport or Project Autosport. That would be better name. But the name is not that important to be honest. I hope the game would be great.

Last edited:
From the Straight 4 blog and also mentioned in the GTP article.
The name Project Motor Racing will make a lot more sense post-gamescom when certain details of the overall direction of the sim will be clarified.
And adds
However, if you’re familiar with GIANTS Software’s massive Farming Simulator franchise, you probably already have a good sense of where this is all going. And you’d be exactly right, too. The new name represents that direction...
So let's wait and see.

If the game might be using a similar path that Farming Simulator follows that could include continuous development of the game beyond the often 1 year support, with additional DLC packs to expand it available for those that want them. Ian did ask if anyone wanted a TOCA add-on pack a while back so maybe that might be a thing.

VR you say? Surely they will be doing a PSVR2 version? And just in time for the PS5 Pro too.
I sure hope so. I know Sony has seemingly washed its hands of VR but it sounds like these guys have developed the game with VR from the jump rather than it needing to be added after the fact, so perhaps there’s a chance????

Back