Questions and innuendos about Moderators

• Thread starter kikie
  • 3,805 comments
Do you guys work in shifts? I'm always getting yelled at by a different mod :grumpy:.

Well there are mods from all over the world, so kind of. There is a solution to your problem though, stop doing whatever you keep doing to make them yell at you. ;)

Pretty much.

We've got largely global coverage - there's some staff awake and on the site at any given time of day.

My friend rented a server on battlefield 3 and made me a admin/moderator. I just can't help myself kicking or banning other users on the server. Like if another player just looks at me ill ban him. What do you guys do so you don't get too ban happy? or do you count to 10 before clicking?

It's a quote from Juvenal's Satires and, yes, means "Who guards the guards themselves?" (or "Who watches the watchmen?" - as Alan Moore fans will quote it).

The guards guard each other, of course. All moderation actions are logged - some in duplicate - so that the rest of the staff can see who's done what to whom and when. Decisions are surprisingly rarely non-unanimous, but we do sometimes discuss those that aren't.

A ban-happy mod simply can't get away with ban-happiness and they'll soon find themselves de-modded and all of their actions queried and reversed if appropriate.

I can't speak directly for precisely what happened (since I didn't arrive at GTPlanet until just after he was banned, let alone being a mod at the time), but I do know any deleted posts go to a separate page. So they never really disappear, although only Mods and Admins can see them (Emerituses cannot), especially if we have a member who forgot that he had violated the rules.

When enough members came forward that their post(s) in such-and-such thread went missing and/or were modified, there was all the evidence needed to oust him.

Yeah, I took some time to research how things were done "behind the scenes" when I became a mod, wondering how they'd handled this or that situation from the past, and how things were handled by the staff.

Yeah, I took some time to research how things were done "behind the scenes" when I became a mod, wondering how they'd handled this or that situation from the past, and how things were handled by the staff.

The first thing I did as a mod was to search the mod forum for my name... :sly:

If two people are arguing and attracting a crowd, heaps of people viewing the thread and stuff. Would you kill the argument by sending infractions/ban and kill the thread? or let them battle it out, wait for it to simmer down then smash em?

If two people are arguing and attracting a crowd, heaps of people viewing the thread and stuff. Would you kill the argument by sending infractions/ban and kill the thread? or let them battle it out, wait for it to simmer down then smash em?

When it gets too personal the mods usually tell people to stop before it gets totally out of hand, anyone ignores this then I suspect they'll be dealt with. In the past threads have been locked for periods of time too, to try and calm everything down.

This... ↓

When it gets too personal the mods usually tell people to stop before it gets totally out of hand, anyone ignores this then I suspect they'll be dealt with. In the past threads have been locked for periods of time too, to try and calm everything down.

Yes, Jordan controls all GTP outlets - though I had access to the GTPlanetNews Twitter for the UK GTAcademy final recently and I've also uploaded videos to the GTP YouTube account.

Back