Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
live4speed
Someone gave you minus rep for that :lol:, there it goes, sense of humour, out the window.

especially when Ben is one of my best mates on GTP

i had the badge for about 20 seconds :lol:

I read that I can view my rep points at "My GTPlanet / Edit Options", but I can't find anything there. Do I need a specific amount to be able to view them, or can I find them elsewhere?

Regards
the Interceptor

you can click the red tick of your own posts and it'll tell you "This post has not received any reputation points. You currently have XX points"... that's the way I check.

If you've received points, it tells you you have XX amount of points and the reasons why people have given you points for that specific post.

Not that I know of. lol
Just have to get lucky to see who reps ya if they leave a name

the Interceptor
Yeah, I found that out a while ago as well. 👍

But is there no way to view them all?
There should be a way, but for some reason Jordan can't get the option to come up on this forum. So as it stands we can't view all our repped posts together, though maybe in the future.

Congratulations to Specialized, and to Smallhorses too - who also just got the quality postage stamp of approval - what is it with these Premium Members, must they all post so well? :sly: 👍

live4speed
There should be a way, but for some reason Jordan can't get the option to come up on this forum. So as it stands we can't view all our repped posts together, though maybe in the future.
Ah, I see. Thanks guys! 👍

Congrats on the Badge Diego, shame somebody took rep from you earlyer though and you had to get the badge again.

👍

Spec...

Specialized
Jealousy will get you nowhere my friend, however a bit of flattery might get you some rep points sent your way :lol:
I realize that you two are just joking between friends here. However, for those that are considering the idea, I want to point out that logrolling (positive repping your friends in exchange for them positive repping you) will be the fastest way to get the Reputation Points sytem revamped in a way that will prevent it, or get it killed off entirely.

Just so you know, we can see who reps who and for what posts, as well as the comments. Trends are easy to spot and will be dealt with as necessary. I don't expect this to be an issue for most honest folks, however.

Congrats to our newest badge earners.

live4speed
Someone gave you minus rep for that :lol:, there it goes, sense of humour, out the window.
ALL of my negative feedbacks have come from people not appreciating my humor. One person gave me negative rep for taking a swipe at the Ferrari F1 team, implying that they could slow Massa down from their pitwall computers.

No biggie, but the other time got me a bit miffed.
This post was given a -30 by someone who declined to actually leave a comment.

I was a bit perplexed as:
1)anyone with that much clout on this site would likely leave a comment or PM, and
2)anyone with that much clout on this site is probably somewhat familiar with the kinds of posts I usually make, and would notice that this particular post was atypically cryptic, out-of-character, and dripping with irony. Maybe I didn't go far enough indentifying it as a joke, but I find it odd that the one pointless post out of every hundred I make is singled out like that. After all, I've seen even The Indigo One make blatantly immature posts to prove a point (wait, does he ever make good posts? ;)).

I won't say "I don't care about rep points", because I do care. I would suggest that in order to leave rep points, you MUST leave a comment of some sort (maybe make a 10 character minimum limit, to avoid such insights as "you suck" and "u r teh pwn").

I think there is a lot of people using the rep system because of the person who posts as opposed to the post itself. Not so much that people like Famine, G.T and me :D (shamless, I know), don't deserve the rep, or the post being given rep isn't a good one, but often a lesser known member will post an equally good, or even better post and will be completely ignored for it yet if I made that same post I might get rep for it.

so basically, the more friends you have, the more likely you are to get the badge than a user that has no friends... makes sense, sadly.

live4speed
I think there is a lot of people using the rep system because of the person who posts as opposed to the post itself. Not so much that people like Famine, G.T and me :D (shamless, I know), don't deserve the rep, or the post being given rep isn't a good one, but often a lesser known member will post an equally good, or even better post and will be completely ignored for it yet if I made that same post I might get rep for it.

I'm going to keep this in mind when reading the forum and give points for good posts, not just good posts from people I know.

I think a lot of the time points are given when someone agrees with the post, rather than it actually being a quality post.

IMO there's a big difference between a quality post, and one that supports your side of the argument or backs you up. We all know that a quality post could very well shoot your opinion out of the water, but who's going to give points for a quality post when they've just been made to look like somewhat of a fool?

I think it's used more for, 'I agree/I like your point' of view rather than 'this was a well thought out, good quality post'. :indiff:

Oh, and I agree on the whole 'mates give mates rep' thing, too.

ferrari_chris
I think a lot of the time points are given when someone agrees with the post, rather than it actually being a quality post.
I do do that sometimes, but even if I don't agree with the person's opinion or view on something, I still don't hesitate on giving rep points. I feel bad about the people handing out the negative points. I haven't given negative to anybody yet, and I think it's undeserved most of the time.

P.S. Congrats, Diego. 👍

Well, in fairness to the system, I've gotten a lot of rep from people I do not know at all. I've also gotten several + reps from people who commented that they disagreed with the post itself but thought it was good quality.

I'm still working on getting those 300 points...unfortunately, I'm too willing to stick my neck out and disagree with people, and have gotten a few negative reps recently... :lol:

Duke
I've also gottne several + reps from people who commented that they disagreed with the post itself but thought it was good quality.

Well, that's because you're...well, you. Any "ordinary" member would probably receive either negative rep or no rep at all if they were in that sitation. Not many people are foolish enough to mess with "the Duke." ;)

One thing I've found is that the majority of my points are received from jokes, rants or some other odd posts while those ones I put knowledge in and try to help result in zero points, one even negative rep.

Oh well, such is life. :D

Wolfe2x7
I'm still working on getting those 300 points...unfortunately, I'm too willing to stick my neck out and disagree with people, and have gotten a few negative reps recently... :lol:
Who cares. You got my respect and many others' too. I'm guessing some of the good posters won't be getting the "Quality" badges for sometime. We all understand it's for one reason or another, it doesn't take away from the reputation between us regulars. :)

Wolfe2x7
Well, that's because you're...well, you. Any "ordinary" member would probably receive either negative rep or no rep at all if they were in that sitation. Not many people are foolish enough to mess with "the Duke." ;)
Actually, I'm saving my first negative reputation points for the next time he bashes Natalie Portman. I'm just joking, Duke(or am I? :P).

a6m5
Who cares. You got my respect and many others' too. I'm guessing some of the good posters won't be getting the "Quality" badges for sometime. We all understand it's for one reason or another, it doesn't take away from the reputation between us regulars. :)

Thank you, that means a lot. :) 👍

I try my best to look for posts to give/take reputation too other than my friends, it's just I don't usually go to the forums where you guys make good quality posts, like Wolfe2x7's Enthusia FAQs for example.

The whole repping yours friends thing find a little unfair (especially when you do it over and over), but I guess it's a flaw in the system that only we can sort out ourselves. It'll never be perfect though - we'll have to accept that.

Duke
I want to point out that logrolling (positive repping your friends in exchange for them positive repping you) will be the fastest way to get the Reputation Points sytem revamped in a way that will prevent it, or get it killed off entirely.

In the Online gameing world thats called Stats padding :lol: (Take Battlefield 2 for example, where 2 medics 1 from each team kill and revive each other until they are blue in the face).

I suppose if you come across such instaces it would be good for you to send a warning PM so they at least know if what they are doing is against the rules or not.

Greycap
One thing I've found is that the majority of my points are received from jokes, rants or some other odd posts while those ones I put knowledge in and try to help result in zero points, one even negative rep.

are you kidding? I was at 297 points and made a bad joke and got minus repped... so close, yet so far. But even though, many of the points I've received have been because of my sarcasm and the few people who understand it. :) And I've gotten points for the occasional pwning...

Thing is, you don't post that much, me thinks. I've been a member for over three years but only started posting in the last year or so. Still, I'm not above the 1.85 post per day mark, even though I'm posting about 5-6 times per day at least. So all in all, the more you post (thought out posts!) the more likely you are to get the badge...

Thanks for the congrats guys! 👍

kylehnat
This post was given a -30 by someone who declined to actually leave a comment.
No one person can take 30 points away. It must have been given a - rep by more than one person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back